Western Michigan Beer Stores

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by GoBearsWalter34, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,949) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I am coming from Eastern Illinois and driving around the Lake finishing up at Grand Rapids Michigan staying tight to Lake. Staying the night Saturday and coming back through Kalamazoo and back to Illinois on Sunday. 1. What beer store do you recommend stopping at to pick up local beer. 2. What are hidden gem breweries to stop at? I have made this trip before just trying to improve. Thanks BA'S.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Sicilaino's Market on the west side of GR is my favorite store when I'm in that area. In Kzoo, I like Mega-Bev on West Main Street (just a half mile west off US-131 on the south side of the street).

My last time in GR I visited Creston Brewing and New Holland's Knickerbocker Pub and really enjoyed both of them. Good beer and food.

miwestcoaster and archiebunkerjr like this.
  3. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (49) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

Mega-Bev in Kzo is the largest and worth a stop, but I prefer Drake Party Store, mainly because everything they carry can be bought as a single.

4. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (1,961) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

To add another brewery suggestion, if you are into sour beers, Arclight Brewing in Watervliet does a great job with those beers. It's just east of where I-196 goes north off of I-94, so it's close to your itinerary.

6. GoBearsWalter34

Society

Thanks for your suggestions. Excited to get going on 2nd annual Lappin the Lake Beer Extravaganza! Starting at 3 Floyds at 11 AM.

7. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan

I usually go to Rishi's in GR. Stuff tends to be a bit pricier, but the selection is good and you can buy a single of anything.

archiebunkerjr and strohme2 like this.
  8. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Zealot (506) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

Horrocks in Kentwood is by far my favorite bottle shop in town. They also have a full bar where you can get draft pours while shopping. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  9. GoBearsWalter34

Society

Kentwood takes the lead! Here we come 3 Floyds!

KevinJohnson2 likes this.
  10. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (771) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

If you are still looking for suggestions, one of my favorite stores is D. Schuler's Fine Wine & Spirits in Wyoming, MI. It's much closer to I-196 than some of the other fine shops that have been mentioned.

KevinJohnson2 likes this.
  11. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (416) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know if Arclight posts anything about their current to-go options? Site and social media don’t really reference this. Thanks in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.