Westvleteren 12 2017 question

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Mikeagate, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mikeagate

Mikeagate Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2018 Pennsylvania

Odered a few bottles of Westvleteren 12 2017 vintage. My question is, should I wait a year or two to drink it or is it ok to drink right away? I have read that these Trappist beers age well. Any thoughts? Haven’t tried it before, just want the best experience (state side). Thanks!

2. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (262) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

I've never had the pleasure of drinking this beer. However, if you are getting a few bottles why not drink one fresh and go from there.

Cheers!

3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,339) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I had a different vintage of this beer (likely around 2012) which I hav tried fresh and it was very good as well as with a couple of years on it - also very good but a little different. It is fine to drink right away but continues to change develop over time.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. Mikeagate

Mikeagate Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2018 Pennsylvania

Ok, thank you for the tips!!

5. wickedestman

wickedestman Initiate (44) May 15, 2016 Finland
    Trader

Depends on what you like but this one ages very well. I've had 6, 8 and 10+ old bottles and they have all been beautiful. It has great ingredients that last for a long time. After having had some older bottles, it's difficult to drink it fresh :slight_smile:

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,037) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

I had some 2015s that rocked my world(at ~2 years old)

Not a big fan of +3 year olds; ymmv.

jmdrpi likes this.
  7. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,795) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I have had vintages ranging from 1999 to 2017, and I would say that they are best within 10 years. We tried a 2006 recently that was amazing. Totally different beer, but great if it's cellared properly.

jmdrpi likes this.
  8. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (416) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

No reason to HAVE to wait. I love it with a few years on, but it's not something where you'd ever say "eh, too young."

BrownBottle, jmdrpi and youradhere like this.