Westy 12 Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rappmann, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rappmann

rappmann Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 Canada (ON)

I found out last night that a bar in Toronto has Westy 12, for $45 a bottle. Is it worth it to splurge on it, just to try it??
    I've never had it, but keep in mind that I enjoyed a Rochefort 10 for a fifth the price at the same establishment.
    What are your thoughts beer advocate....what are your thoughts?

2. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

The only bottle I had broke :slight_frown:

I wouldn't spend $45 on one bottle of Westy 12. But I'm also broke.

3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

You'll get a mixed bag of responses on this. Personally, I wouldn't pay half that for it.

But if you've always wanted to try it, go for it - you only live once!

4. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Pooh-Bah (2,914) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

I absolutely would spend $45 (USD or Canadian, it doesn't matter) for a bottle of Westy 12.

And I'm an incredibly cheap bastard.

5. jerz

jerz Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2008 California

You can trade for it pretty easy and its usually traded at a $15-20 value here. I wouldn't pay that much for it...

6. ltjska04

ltjska04 Zealot (726) Jun 1, 2005 Kentucky

I would pay that, but only because I bought a Westy 8 for $40 and that was the only time I've seen a Westy bottle in my life.

7. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brouwerij Westvleteren is against commercial reselling their beer, so beyond price considerations you have ethical ones as well. Perhaps hold out until April when hopefully you can purchase a gift pack with glasses, a much better deal.

8. Scrylol

Scrylol Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Canada (AB)

I think you should try it at least once in your life, but I think $45 a bottle is a bit too high. If you can get a Rochefort 10 for a fifth of that price, then why not wait and see if you can get a Westvleteren 12 at a cheaper price (trades, another store, etc). In the end though it's really up to you.

9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nah, keep the $45 for something else. Westy 12 is a good beer, but I'm sure another opportunity will present itself that is cheaper than 45bones.

10. tobelerone

tobelerone Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think you may find trading for it to be pretty easy these days. $4$ cost me around 16-18 bucks for a bottle.

11. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

I would say that's way too expensive. If you're going to splurge on Westvleteren, do it by making a trip to Belgium.

todisht likes this.
  12. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Trade for a much more reasonable price, I just did and I felt better than if I had paid a reseller for it.

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I saw a bottle of Westy 12 once in person. The shop wanted $65 for it. I put it back.

14. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

Well ask your self this, do I want to try it? Do you think you will ever go to Belgium. Can you afford it? Do you want to pay that much. I had the beer, I have the beer now. I made a clone, which is decent btw. I say no but its not my cash.

15. nightwing002

nightwing002 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 California

that's too much... just my opinion...

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Tough call. I traded to get mine for around $20 USD. FWIW, I enjoyed it but I think Roch 10 is better.

Cheers!

yamar68 likes this.
  17. Mavajo

Mavajo Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

You could probably get two bottles of it on eBay for that price. The beer itself is not worth that price; however the novelty factor is. If you've always wanted to try it, I feel like the experience and "check mark" on your beer resume are well worth it for an avid beer lover.

18. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Trade for it... dont buy it.

19. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Come to Scotland and I'll give you a bottle.

20. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

way too much...trade for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.