Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

wet hop IPA conversion to pellets

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by millerbuffoon, Nov 21, 2013.

1. millerbuffoon

Beer Trader

Hey everyone,
    I was given an awesome wet-hop IPA recipe from Beefmental here on BA. I had grown hops for 3 years, and this is the first year I actually brewed a wet-hop IPA, and his recipe was stellar. Hop juice, and hop-candy were two of the reviews. I did modify a little towards my affinity for west coast unbalanced IPA's, but here is the recipe I brewed...

1 pound of Caramel 40
    ½ pound of Carapils
    7 pounds light DME
    ½ oz. Simcoe (60 min.)
    ½ oz. Galena (60 min.)
    ½ oz. Centennial (60 min.)

½ oz. Simcoe (20 min.)
    ½ oz. Galena (20 min.)
    ½ oz. Centennial (20 min.)
    1 lb. of corn sugar (15 min.)
    ½ teaspoon of irish moss (15 min.)
    1.5 pounds (24oz. wet weight) of fresh picked Cascade hops (10 min.)
    dry hop with 1oz of Centennial and 1oz of Simcoe after 2 weeks
    bottle 2 weeks later
    OG 1.062
    FG 1.006

So my questions are...
    What do we replace the wet hop cascades with???
    24 ounces wet would be 4-6 ounces of pellets, depending on who is doing the math. Do we do all Cascade? Substitute with others? At what intervals? Anything at flame-out?

I found the above beer that I brewed awesome, and would love to be able to replicate it over the winter with pellets. I'd be interested to hear input and suggestions.

Thanks!

Miller.

2. inchrisin

I'm gonna go with everything else you've heard/read about wet hops. 6 oz of wet is about the same as 1 oz of dry or pellet. You can get into the surface area and wort loss of pellets vs whole leaf. To keep it simple, let's not. 4 oz of cascade pellets or whole leaf. If you want to replicate, I'd go with the whole leaf, but it's personal preference.

Why DON'T you have a 5 min or a KO hop? It's good to have a 10 min addition, but I'd break up your 4 oz into a 10, 5, KO, and a 20 minute hop stand (if you're feeling wild).

3. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

CW: wet whole hops are used at a rate of 5 - 6 times the dry whole hop rate.

Pellets go as ~90% of the dry whole hop weight.

Wet weight: 5 oz
    Dry weight: 28 gm
    Pellets: ~25 gm

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe