Release Weyerbacher Sunday Mole Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (374) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

http://www.weyerbacher.com/beers/special-release/sunday-mole-stout/

Released on the 11th to the general public, I found some in Boston over the weekend. As much as I like Sunday Morning Stout and Mole Framinghammer, I find this particular release to be pretty exciting.

"As the name suggests, this 11.3% ABV American Imperial Stout is the foundation of everyone’s favorite, Sunday Morning Stout, with a twist (and without the barrel aging)… This brew captures everything you’d expect from a traditional molé – coffee, chocolate, heat and smokiness. Foremost is coffee, which is followed by layers of chocolate courtesy of the chocolate malt, cocoa powder and cacao nibs. Finally, a subtle lingering heat and smokiness from our blend of ancho, pasilla, mulato and chipotle peppers, as well as cinnamon, which is gone by the time you’re ready for your next sip."

2. Junior

Junior Aspirant (288) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This hit mid-Michigan last week. Picked up a single. I found it to be quite enjoyable.

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,252) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

October 11th?

4. Junior

Junior Aspirant (288) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

September.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  5. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,272) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Picked up a four pack. I was disappointed that this was not barrel-aged (I just assumed that it would be).

The heat and cinnamon spice blend was really enjoyable but the roasted coffee was just not as strong as SMS.

Drank two and plan to age two.

6. BradenMK

BradenMK Disciple (315) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Personally, I thought it was a great coffee stout, but I didn't pick up ANY pepper heat or flavor, and no cinnamon either. But I've only tried one of four, so far.

Tmwright7, Subcontrabass and cello like this.
  7. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Champion (887) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Thought it was pretty damn good, but prefer Jackie O's Oro Negro and Stone Xocoveza over this by ALOT.

chrismann65 and drunkenmess like this.
  8. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (514) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Looking for this.

Enjoy

9. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (142) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

where in boston did you find it? I'd love to pick up a 4 pack for myself and some friends.

10. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Redstone had it in Stoneham

11. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (142) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ah, that's a different definition of Boston than i have, but i might be able to drive up there this weekend

12. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

It's in the 95 loop, but I get your point. Someone else is bound to have it - maybe check that place next door to Trillium?

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,097) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

How much is a 4 pack of the stuff going for?

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,969) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

About 14 bucks by me in North NJ.

keithmurray likes this.
  15. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,088) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I enjoyed it. It's not quite BOMB! but I think it's comparable to Xocoveza.

VABA likes this.
  16. cser

cser Initiate (11) Feb 12, 2015 Pennsylvania

Grabbed a case of this yesterday in the York, PA area. Distributor got 5 of them.

17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (321) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

That's both confusing and annoying.

-- the lack of barrel aging, not your post! --

18. croush

croush Zealot (537) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had my brother grab me some of this back in MI for me, and I had assumed it was barrel aged like SMS as well. Oh well, it'll still be interesting to see how it stacks up against some similar beers. I've liked Bomb! and Xocoveza, but didn't love them.

19. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (713) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I find it interesting that brewers make a "mole" stout that includes cinnamon, chocolate, and peppers" as if "mole" means a sauce with chocolate, cinnamon, etc. Mole is a sauce with nuts, peppers, vegetables, etc that doesn't have to have any chocolate or cinnamon. Its just the popularity of mole negro that leads most to believe that's what mole is.

FBarber, TongoRad and croush like this.
  20. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Weyerbacher has been going downhill lately, with their Imperial Stout. Their 21st Anniversary was a disaster.

57md and drunkenmess like this.
  21. raynmoon

Beer Trader

The description of that beer makes me laugh.

"munich malts and vanilla beans add the CAKE layer..."

"smoked malts bring in a touch of BACON..."

how??!?

I get it, smoke= bacon, vanilla= cake. Because all cake tastes like vanilla and nothing else smoked besides bacon... :rolling_eyes:

22. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,481) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Really looking forward to this one landing in MN & sad that it's become so much harder to find their beers around here, especially fresh Double Simcoe. One of my gateway breweries & still pumping out great stuff!

Rogerlb likes this.
  23. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (493) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Blame it on the immigration patterns. I'm familiar with several others, but many of them are not going to be as beer friendly as the Oaxacan version of it.

FBarber likes this.
  24. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (45) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Any Pittsburgh sightings of this? We saw a decent amount of Sunday Morning Stout

25. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,826) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I fell like most people are most familiar with black mole ...

My sister grabbed me a 4-pack today. I'll be looking forward to trying this over the Holidays when I get back home.

#25 FBarber, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  26. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,272) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I am going to reluctantly agree with you.

21 was definitely off. Also, SMS 2016 was not as good as SMS 2015 (I know that people say such things all the time but I did a side-by-side and the year-old 2015 was richer in roast and body - that just should not be the case, ever).

Weyerbacher is local and easy to obtain for me, so it really hurts to know that they may be in a slump.

27. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

I thought 21st Anniversary was really good.. Sunday Molé Stout is really good.. the coffee notes are awesome, but the cinnamon and pepper notes are subtle.. it's slightly thin too, but it's still really good stuff..

28. croush

croush Zealot (537) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had one bottle of 21st anniversary (and have 3 remaining). I remember thinking it was solid, definitely not something I'd classify as a disaster. I'm looking forward to giving Sunday Mole Stout a whirl.

maximum12 likes this.
  29. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Well, I was wrong! This beer is pretty damn good!

30. Peterock27

Peterock27 Aspirant (210) Oct 4, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Too bad they retired double simcoe...it was one of my favorites

maximum12 likes this.
  31. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Mole is VERY commonly misunderstood as a sauce that always contains chocolate, chilies, and cinnamon. Mole can be almost anything in Mexico, so always having it interpreted as chocolate, chili is interesting. That's why I said "I find it interesting." Not sure why you're trying to be Mr. Correct here, because my statement was 100% true.

...???

32. Kyle19473

Kyle19473 Initiate (117) Aug 11, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had my first one last night. Was really impressed, the adjuncts were very subtle. Lots of coffee and peppers on the nose but mostly chocolate and some cinnamon in the finish. Was impressed.

BrandonK likes this.
  33. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Aspirant (205) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

14.99 for non-barrel Aged. I'll pass on purchasing this for myself and wait for the Sunday Morning Stout. Figured for something non-barrel price point would be little better

34. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (366) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I picked up 6 of these today. Having my first as well. It reminds me of Xocoveza, but has a bit more kick of pepper/hot - which I like.

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  35. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (37) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I had one last Saturday and thought it was great. A little steep for a 4-pack but I was not disappointed.

36. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (339) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Finally got some in CT ... Will try one later after dinner

37. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (514) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had a 21 the other night and it was too overboard on the vanilla. Still have three left but would not buy it again. I really liked SMS last year and looking for this mole.

Enjoy

38. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (339) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

For a non BA beer it is very boozy. The alcohol really hits you ... definately needs some time to mellow out. I prefer SMS over this.

kalosjakar likes this.
  39. Peterock27

Peterock27 Aspirant (210) Oct 4, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Prefer SMS undoubtedly....this was good, nothing spectacular. Wish they would have barrel bagel it. If I were to rank them...SMS, 21st, mole stout.

40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,252) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think it tastes similar to bomb almost exactly. Heard from another also. I like it better than the original sunday morning.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.