What are the most remote breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Sep 17, 2019.

1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,859) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

So now I've been to two of them too. (Tuscon 4 years ago.)

I'd never heard of Tonopah until I started planning the long pub crawl that my wife and I did, but it was a convenient place to stop for the night because there was a hotel and a brewery there that just happened to be across the street from each other. (That's my efficient way to plan trips - beer then sleep.)

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. July2Nov

July2Nov Crusader (741) Aug 27, 2006 Virginia

Great little town, with a big city feel. We travel up that way after every Brothers Resolute day to take in that town's little charm. I mean you can't go wrong with two breweries, a distillery, a cocktail bar, & some unique restaurants/food, all within walking distances of each other.

MatthewSwasta likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's lots of young people from everywhere hitting top notch whitewater. Winter is a no go business-wise.

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,579) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ugh...tonopah brewing is possibly my least favorite brewery. First time I passed through and stopped they fucking microwaved the sides (greens and baked beans) that came with the bbq in styrofoam cups. second time I stopped just for beer, didn't ask prices on the new crowler cans to go, and promptly received a $24 6-pack of 12 oz cans of mediocre - bad beer. And the lady working told me she didn't know how to work the new fangled can maker and did it horribly. I will never return (and I actually do drive through Tonopah once or twice a year)
    Now, Tecopa, CA on the other hand, has a fine little brewery in it called Death Valley brewing co (http://deathvalleybrewing.com/) that is in some kind of weird old general store converted to a club house. The guy who runs it is a wonderful gent, lots of random people from all over the world, the beer is decent - good and that town can't have more than 1000 people in it either

5. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, I just re-read my review and recall that we experienced good and bad with our visit. I don't think I'll ever be going thru that town again, so, unlike you (:wink:), I won't be tempted to visit again.

6. wbaski

wbaski Initiate (40) Jun 12, 2017 Tennessee

7. Lelampp

Lelampp Disciple (380) Sep 1, 2012 Ohio

Anderson Valley? Went there a few years ago. Seemed like you really had to want to be there. Super cool, though. Good beer.

Also, Southern Tier in New York State.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  8. xxxxxx

xxxxxx Initiate (113) Jan 14, 2008 Oregon

9. Davidvols

Davidvols Initiate (109) Mar 9, 2013 Mississippi

Lazy Magnolia in Kiln, MS

10. SlapDash

SlapDash Initiate (89) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

Actually, I found that Bjórsetur Íslands was even more remote -- especially driving there at night through a fog bank -- though it's actually not far from Akureyri. It started as a beer club at the animal husbandry college in Hólar, but they actually got a brewing license.

There were 8 when I was there back in 2015, unless you count Ölgerðin Egill Skallagrímsson & Borg Brugghús separately, or ditto Viking Ölgerð & Einstök Ölgerð, and then there were 10 -- there's one more now I know of that's opened since I was there.

But if you REALLY want to get remote, there is (was?) a brewery on Rapa Nui, AKA Easter Island. I was really hoping to make it there, but I never quite swung that trip.

bluejacket74 and jmdrpi like this.
  11. Alamo_308

Alamo_308 Initiate (25) Aug 5, 2019 Texas

Not 'real' remote, but the remotest in my limited personal experience: Full Sail Brewery in Hood River, Oregon.

12. 10adp

10adp Initiate (58) Mar 18, 2014 Canada (AB)
    Trader

13. ItinOcean

ItinOcean Initiate (65) Jul 29, 2011 Italy

Svalbard Brewing - I almost had a chance to visit, but bureaucracy and stupidity intervened:

http://www.svalbardbryggeri.no/

and, in the continental US, Tiger Town, in Mitchell, OR is pretty remote:

https://www.tigertownbrewing.com

My grandparents used to live in the town, but I haven't been back since the brewery was established. Would like to go!

To a previous commenter - there are plenty in Iceland, Northern Norway, all over the British Isles, etc.

troobie likes this.
  14. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (83) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

Cisco in Nantucket. Need to take a ferry into town then take a cab there. There is also a winery and distillery short distance from each other

15. rickc17

rickc17 Initiate (13) Jan 2, 2019

great thread, very informative. I'll pile on by praising Scratch, definitely worth finding. Awesome atmosphere and unique beers. Also happy to see Orkney Brewery mentioned here. Great beers and the Orkneys are beautiful. Finally, shout out to hopfenunmaltz for the note about Willin' by Little Feat. I intend to make a road trip one day in honor of Lowell George and go from Tucson to Tucumcari,Tehachapi to Tonapah. I'll drive the back roads so I can find lots of remote breweries . . .

PapaGoose03 and MatthewSwasta like this.
  16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (564) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm going to put in for Isla Cerveceria on Isla Mujeres off the Mexican coast. It's only a few miles off the mainland but still.

17. TattKatt57

TattKatt57 Initiate (37) Aug 28, 2016 Illinois

Calfkiller....Sparta, TN

18. Mannsworld

Mannsworld Initiate (30) Jun 14, 2019 North Carolina

July2Nov, beertunes and dcotom like this.
  19. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (605) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Also, Kingdom is way up there in the middle of nowhere.

20. PapaGoose03

Society

It would be interesting to look at this thread in a year to see which of these mentioned breweries are still open. Of course a factoring process would have to occur to measure beer quality and balance that with a remoteness factor, a population density factor, and a business astuteness factor (I don't have a clue how to measure that), but remoteness/customer base have to be difficult factors to overcome.

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Brewbuzzard

Brewbuzzard Initiate (23) Dec 23, 2015 Texas

Scratch is great! Really off the wall beers brewed very well. I live in Dallas but was born and raised 25 miles from there, so when I go back to visit I always make a trip to Scratch. I also bring back one of everything they have bottled. It is well worth a trip. There are other breweries and brew pubs to round out the trek. Saint Nick's Brewery in DuQuion, Ill, Route 51 Brewing in Elkville, Ill, Hops in Christopher, Ill, and Big Muddy Brewery in Murphysboro, Ill. And if you also like wine there are several wineries and vineyards in Southern Illinois.

rickc17 and andypeters1971 like this.
  22. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,834) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My wife pointed out that we've been through Tonapah AZ. I always though the song was about Tonapah NV. There is debate as to which one.

Edit - Hood River was mentioned above. I was there 2 weeks ago. pFriem and Ferment were excellent. Didn't go to Full Sail, Double Mountain, Big Horse. The are others south of town and across the Columbia.

#103 hopfenunmaltz, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. Sayre7

Sayre7 Initiate (60) Jun 7, 2015 California

This is a very cool thread idea, if I ever get around to quitting the working life, I’m thinking my next move would be to drive around the country and hit all of these.

andypeters1971 likes this.
  24. amadeom

amadeom Initiate (113) Jul 6, 2008 Colorado

South Park Brewery is pretty remote. San Juan Island Brewery also.

25. Sctn4Elk

Sctn4Elk Initiate (190) Jul 31, 2017 Texas
    Society Brewery

Cypress Creek Southern Ales, not so remote but definitely out of the way and hard to find. Small batch brewery located out in East Texas. We are doing 10 gallon batches and only open 2 days.

frognot and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  26. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (150) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I could've kicked myself for not doing a detour over to them on my way down the coast last year. Love their goses and seems like it would've just been a fun quirky place to check out. I was too distracted by the spectre of North Coast Brewing looming on our horizon that day...

27. SlapDash

SlapDash Initiate (89) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29374/

jmdrpi likes this.
  28. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,866) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I like how your isolated brewery example boasts a "Whorehouse Meadows Wheat"!

beertunes likes this.
  29. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,786) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Still trying to tick that one.......

Coronaeus, Roguer and Oh_Dark_Star like this.
  30. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,866) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Off the top of my head Anchorage Brewing has Midnight Sun less than two miles away, but overall they are quite isolated from the continental US.
    ~2200 miles by car versus 3800 mi by plane from Los Angeles to Hawaii.

31. beertunes

Society Trader

Eh, they're barely a 5 minute walk from the ferry. Good beer, worth the boat ride.

32. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,537) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Kauai Island brewery is the western most brewery in the US. So about 2500 miles from CA.

33. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,057) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

So, I am going to sound like an out-of-touch Northeasterner when I say that 100 miles from a city of significant size sounds pretty darn remote to me.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,394) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, much more remote than Cowboy State.

If there's ever, most probably impossible, a brewery built in the Thorofare region of Wyoming, it would be the most remote in the contiguous US.

35. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, I'm 100 miles from Seattle, and I still have to drive 50 miles out into the county to get to true remoteness around here.

Bitterbill likes this.
  36. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (813) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Check out Swannay Brewery too, they are also on Orkney, They are probably one of my favourite scottish breweries, their cask ales are good. Also they do a nice porter and stout. I don't know if you can visit them but I'm sure a few places must stock their beer there.

TheDoctor likes this.
  37. groovinhigh74

groovinhigh74 Disciple (367) Dec 5, 2008 Illinois

jmdrpi and beertunes like this.
  38. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (47) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Valhalla Brewery, Unst, Shetland Islands, Scotland

jmdrpi likes this.
  39. andypeters1971

andypeters1971 Aspirant (236) Mar 5, 2018 Georgia
    Trader

If I'm anywhere near Southern Illinois in the next several years, Scratch is the first place I'm going

ChicagoJ likes this.