What are your medium and long range beer plans?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lightman1, Aug 13, 2019.

1. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (83) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

If you have any, that is.

My medium range plan is to expand the number of regions in the country where I have visited breweries. Currently I have been to different parts of 4 regions. I have been to those 4 multiple times. I'm talking about the 10 regions listed here on the site under United States.

My long range plan is to attend the 1000 year anniversary of Weihenstephan in the year 2040. Its the oldest still operating brewery in the world, located in Bavaria. I'll be 83 years old then and my drinking buddies are older than I am. Gotta have a plan!

So, anyone want to share your plans?

2. mkh012

mkh012 Defender (673) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Honestly? Spend slightly less, drink mostly local, and only have a pint a day (ABV aside :wink:). I don't have big long-term beer goals, and I think most craft communities are so well-developed now that it's not entirely worth traveling for beer (unless you can easily afford to).

3. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (303) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Medium range plan: drink more beer
    Long range plan: drink lots more beer
    :grin::beers:

4. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

No plan honestly, just trying to seek out more beers and try to steer clear of the bad ones. Buying local is fairly limited and I’m one of these « grass is always greener » person.

So, whatever beer settles on my local shelves will be tried. No beercation however... I travel for landscape and open my mind to new folks, if good beer is on my path then all good.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,825) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Medium: I'm gonna finish this Jack's Abby House Lager.

Long: Have another...
    No, wait, maybe something different....
    Ah, put me down as "indefinite".

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,745) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

When the hobby becomes a job it stops being a hobby. :thinking_face:

7. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I've achieved what might have been long range plans, but it was just my life and profession as they merged. As a young man I traveled far and wide and learned to love great beer and wine. The rest has been easy. These days I like the fine choice of local beer as my city transforms itself before my eyes.

8. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Very true, never make your hobby your job is also my motto.

9. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (83) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I agree about the job vs hobby idea. But I'm retired now and traveling to places with great beer is one of my hobbies! If a buddy goes with me its almost always about beer. If the Wife or another couple go with us we include some non-beer stuff.

I also drink locally and support our local breweries.

PapaGoose03, lemmy187, Amendm and 3 others like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,745) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

My one long term goal since we are talking this is to travel when I retire one day. I always wanted to see the world and take in the sites and along the way the beers. So that would be my goal.
    Short term just to enjoy life with friends and family, seems like it goes by so fast anymore.
    Cheers

11. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (324) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

Damn I don’t even have any medium or long range life plans. Better talk to my beer financial advisor.

12. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Medium: get off lazy backside and visit more local/regional breweries

Medium-long: get back to the UK for proper pints of bitter

Long: get to Germany/Czech Republic for all the beer I can drink in a two-week period

13. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (87) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Medium range plans:
    Planning to head up to Tampa/St Pete in September after I take the MCAT for a little beer and baseball weekend. Homebrewing wise I'd like to acquire a couple more used small format spirit barrels and put some big imperial stout in them. Best Florida Beer is coming up so I'm getting my entries ready for that, and pouring in a local homebrew comp in november.

Long range plans:
    Trying to tick off some whales. I'd love to find a way to snag some KBBS and rare side project stuff. I'd like to eventually get to FOBAB and Dark Lord Day. I've hit most of the breweries on the east coast I've wanted to go to but I'd love to get up to chicago or out to LA/SD. Trying to get to the point where I drink more of my homebrew than I do commercial beer. I'd like to try to pour in more homebrew comps and maybe do a collab with a pro brewer.

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (903) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Just to keep on drinking and enjoying

15. JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh Initiate (156) Mar 20, 2019 Illinois
    Society

To keep enjoying good suds with good people.

16. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,315) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Medium - drink down current inventory and not have so much beer sitting around in my fridge

Long - start making some money off of this craft beer industry shit

17. meefmoff

meefmoff Defender (647) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Medium: Try to drink a bit less. My waist is getting more stubborn as I get older, and I've already made all the low-hanging changes to what I eat.

Long Term: Get back to Great Britain to properly enjoy some cask ale this time. Get to Germany for the first time.

18. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (511) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Medium=Meyvn
    Long Range=Poo-bah

19. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't make plans concerning beer, that would take all the fun out of it.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, over the past 1+ year I had a chance to visit the Portlands (Portland, OR and Portland, ME) and both were nice cities/areas to visit including the aspect of high quality beer.

I just got done booking my visit to Prague in September/October. Maybe a day visit to the Oktoberfest celebration in Munich while I am there?

I still haven't really thought about 2020 (yet).

Cheers!

21. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,596) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Only plan I have concerning beer is to continue to drink down the cellar, and I guess that is short range, medium range, and long range. Steadily approaching double digits.

22. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (220) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Work, drink
    Work, drink
    Work, drink
    Work, drink, die

I am not a nihilist, just a buzzed poet

23. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (491) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Medium range plans: visit more breweries close to home as they open (Hampton Roads area). I keep track of what I've visited and haven't. Would like to visit Twisted Knot in Newport News but would like something else to open so I can get 2 in a day and make it worth fighting traffic. Visit RVA and hit breweries that have eluded me (Richbrau, Canon + Draw, Bingo, all the satellites in Scotts Addition). Also awaiting the breweries in Smithfield VA to open so I can tick them as well.

Long range plans: haven't planned out that far... would love to do a brewery trip in Asheville NC. Or even Northern VA.

PapaGoose03, lightman1 and Premo88 like this.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I strongly recommend a brewery tour at the nearby Sierra Nevada Mills River brewery.

Cheers!

25. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (589) Mar 28, 2009 California

Don’t tell that to homebrewers.

PapaGoose03, Scrapss, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  26. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (363) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Medium plan: find some more ghost in the machine

Long plan: go to Munich for Oktoberfest one year

PapaGoose03, Scrapss, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (589) Mar 28, 2009 California

Medium: drink a lot of SN’s Oktoberfest

Long term: beer trip to the NE area.

28. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (288) Aug 3, 2015 New York

My medium range plan is to keep up with the low carb beers until I hit 90 pounds lost (56 so far).
    The long range is to slowly transition back into the beers that I sorely miss but in great moderation. I am not going to gain it back. I have a very nice stout and barleywine collection just waiting for me to break 190. I REALLY miss my annual pilgrimage to Vermont for great beers.

29. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,627) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Best wishes, and keep up the good work!

LuskusDelph, pat61, lightman1 and 5 others like this.
  30. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Now that I've ticked all 50 states, no plans.

31. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (380) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Medium range: San Diego for sure. I absolutely have to check out my beloved Alesmith among the millions of other breweries out there.

Long range: Germany and Japan. The super old roots and the brand new craft wave.

32. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Take advantage of travel opportunities. Step out of my (financial) comfort zone. Socialize *gasp* with folk in the community

33. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (806) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

These local gems (like your favorite jeans or shoes) have become as much of a treat as those far away surprises. Growing older with some friends in a relaxed and welcoming space is all the short/medium/long term planning I need.

Stop by Brawley's some time. Great vibe. Total honor system.

lightman1, PapaGoose03 and Premo88 like this.
  34. rgordon

Tell Michael hello if he's about.

surfcaster, lightman1 and Premo88 like this.
  35. mjco04

mjco04 Devotee (447) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Medium is to put a little of break on trading.
    Also, focus on big beer events and beer travels since I get to taste some whales there. why waste effort in chasing if you can try them at these big festivals?

Long term: Seriously spend way less money and appreciate the local craft in CT more.

36. rgordon

I go way back with the Brawleys. Michael was instrumental in helping me develop a business that was world beer. It began to change with Green Flash and a few others. It was truly a gradual organic evolution as the American scene exploded. I love Brawleys.

lightman1, Premo88 and Reef like this.
  37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,627) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Short term plan: making a Black and Black. (thanks @jesskidden! )

Longer term plan: stumbling on more fun ideas like that. :sunglasses:

38. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,120) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

Medium term: Make a significant inroad into trying the range of local beers out here in the Pacific Northwest (we live between Portland OR and greater Seattle. Maybe a hopeless quest, but doable if my liver holds out Longer term is to spend at least 10 days in New England for truly unexplored beer territory. I was last in NH about decades ago.

lightman1, PapaGoose03 and Premo88 like this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,558) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Medium range;
    • Get my lips on some TG KBBS
    • Accomplish all-states
    • Get all of the BCBS variants this year
    • Get more Bamburana
    Long range;
    • Visit Founders, Prairie, Central Waters, Avery, and Goose Island
    • Continue getting all of the BCBS variants
    • Attain Senior Poo-bah status on BA
    • Become the BA moderator handling new state adds (all of the glory, none of the work)

40. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (42) May 25, 2019 Maryland

My Goal was to find A Golden Ale, Brown Ale and a Stout Under $10, with good head rentention and I completed that. I also drank some Trappist Ales and that went well.

This is not crucial but maybe I will Explore more Ales in the 7 percentile, I rarely go above it. Maybe an English Stong Ale.

What is certain is i need to go to the land where my heart is, England.