What beer are you drinking now? #1370

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roguer, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,124) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! It may be late in the states, but in Glasgow, I've had my morning buzz and I'm ready to hit the countryside!

How are you today, and what are your plans? Almost as important: what's in your glass?

[​IMG]
    BrewDog Dog D

Wow, this is phenomenal. Incredibly smooth and rich. I thought the KBS I killed last night was good; this was even that much smoother. (KBS pictured below; now that's a night cap!)

[​IMG]

Cheers, and have a wonderful day, BAs!

2. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Well, the heat of the day has finally cooled and I'm winding down with a fresh new can of Stone Go To. I haven't had Go To in two years and it's surprisingly still as good as I remember it. I still think it's one of the best session IPAs on the market.

[​IMG]

3. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning @Roguer ! Starting the thread like Boogie Joe the Grinder! Cheers Slainte mhath (slan'che va)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Every time I have a Stone beer it's like falling in love with hops for the first time.

[​IMG]

cavedave, L3the, superspak and 41 others like this.
  5. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (688) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Greetings!

If you still have free time by the time you see this, The Three Judges in Glasgow is a good place to spend a few hours exploring Cask Ale. IIRC it's located on Byres Road. If a bit wider travel is on your agenda there's train service to the Lake District (maybe 2 hrs one way). There's also Edinburgh for a great overnight day trip. If you make it there don't miss seeing the castle. Also, just outside the gates to the castle there's the Whisky Heritage Center (which includes a bar facility in the building so that if you develop a powerful thirst for a wee dram.... But a warning, their selection is so large you may find yourself taking 45 min to make a choice, even if you (and your Wallet) decide to have more than one....

#6 drtth, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,124) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm headed out today to tour some distilleries. Edinburgh is on my list, but so is Dumfries, home of the Turnbulls - some of my ancestors! I have more to do than time to do it in, but I'll enjoy it wherever I go. Thanks for the tips; I'll definitely have to look up Three Judges!

Enjoying a classic American brew (relatively fresh, too!) with a cod and chips lunch.

[​IMG]

8. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (455) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Cool.... Where did you find the cans??

9. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Wegman's.

Beertsipper likes this.
  10. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (448) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

11. jaydoc

jaydoc Poo-Bah (4,232) Nov 12, 2008 Kansas
    Society Trader

12. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (801) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

(from last night, but worthy of a post here...)

...aaand just like that, the journey ended on a relatively high note of the tad too sweet, but best Dark Lord variant I've had yet.

It's been 3 years, almost to the date, since I started going after the Beer Advocate Top 250 and @newbeeraday joined the journey a year into it. We both finished the list together last night. What an incredible journey, having met so many great people along the way, tried so many amazing beers, and enjoyed so many awesome shares. Couldn't have done it without the help of so many people, allowing me to complete the list without having visited a single brewery or attended any beer festival.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

13. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,550) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

For a change, my son woke me up this morning. Of course, he should, as he's excited with today being his seventh birthday. This one is the early beer in his honor.
    [​IMG]
    Birthday music for dad

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Just seemed appropriate . . .

[​IMG]

Light yellow with bright white cap and fine lacing. Rich malt and floral hops, very pleasant perfume. Rich malt without being strong or cloying, hint of sweetness with an overall impression of freshness.

Taste: Malt forward with hops singing the high notes. Rich without being heavy, complex without being complicated, malt with a touch of sweetness and hops with a touch of spice. Very clean finish with malt and hops skipping hand in hand all the way. No hint of bitterness in the finish, just a nice, pleasant fading away. Full enough, rich enough, balance hits it right on the mark.

Very pleasing beer suitable for anytime of the year. Just wish I could get it in cans

15. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,565) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Rise and shine! Gonna be a hot one today in the Cedar Valley, with heat indeces over 100°F. I'm thinking it might be a good day to spend indoors. At the thrift store. What could possibly go wrong?
    [​IMG]

¡Carpe mañana!

16. DrSchnitzengiggle

DrSchnitzengiggle Initiate (96) Feb 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Family Values goes great with a little family time.

[​IMG]

Also, a couple (literally 2) pictures from our trip to Westbrook Brewery yesterday. Unfortunately, the Mexican Cake bottles were a little too expensive for me, but I got this beaut: Mexican Cupcake, a session strength version of Mexican Cake. If this is any indication of what it's big brother is like, it must be amazing!

[​IMG]

Also, some barrels for all you barrel aficionados:

[​IMG]

17. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,045) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Congratulations on completing a quest for which I have neither time nor balls nor money!

18. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,045) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! My lowest rating for a Terrapin beer went out this morning:

[​IMG]

And I didn't change IMGUR, IMGUR was changed when I logged on yesterday.

19. DrSchnitzengiggle

DrSchnitzengiggle Initiate (96) Feb 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

If you right click on the picture on imgur and choose "copy image address," and then paste that in the image tab, it should work. it's been working for me

Ozzylizard and cjgiant like this.
  20. SaulFox

SaulFox Disciple (373) Nov 26, 2010 California
    Trader

The carmel really rounds this one out....

[​IMG]

21. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Disciple (340) Feb 13, 2015 Canada
    Trader

Mexican IPA courtesy of @TheDoctor , thanks again :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

22. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,570) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

21 on the 21st:

[​IMG]

Plenty of cocoa and vanilla; nothing new or surprising here. A perfectly fine tasting stout with big enough flavors to mask the 11.9%

The basement has already hit 76 as I type this post this morning; but the RV is nice and cool...cheers from South Milwaukee!

23. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (90) Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

Still in Duesseldorf, it was great to sample two originals, on tap, near to the source.
    PIlsner Urquell and Budweiser Budvar, both very different taste profiles. Both totally awesome on tap.

[​IMG]

24. dfecteau

dfecteau Aspirant (257) Jun 10, 2009 Massachusetts

25. jaydoc

Society Trader

That had to be a lot fun! Congratulations.

Hopgoddess312 and mythaeus like this.
  26. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,691) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

I'm worthy.

27. jaydoc

Society Trader

I believe you are!

muchos and RonaldTheriot like this.
  28. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,691) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    5% alcohol. Brewed in North Carolina.

29. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,565) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Do you get to keep the glasses?

30. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Mornin' BA's! A bit after 11 here in already-hot NOVA & I'm starting with a nice cooler:
    [​IMG]
    Also breaking in this comically-oversized chalice :-)

Tunes:

As always- Drink up & drink on, my fellow advocates!

31. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Devotee (470) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Another relatively warm day for these parts. Finally, after a day of drinking water of all sorts, time now for a fresh pilsner.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

32. Mitchellm

Mitchellm Initiate (79) Jun 5, 2016 California
    Trader

[​IMG] drinking the last pliny in the fridge, time to make a run to santa rosa this weekend. anybody need some? i'll fly ,you buy. lol

33. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,057) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

34. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,570) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

As the thunderstorm approaches, a late breakfast with pseudoSue:

[​IMG]

35. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

I think I have to add that breakfast to my BA 'wants' list :slight_smile:
    Looking good, my friend!

FBarber, DoctorZombies and Lingenbrau like this.
  36. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Zealot (581) Nov 16, 2007 New York

37. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (997) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Thursday ba. Just finishing a few of these off, with lunch, from the smutty party pack,
    [​IMG]
    W/ a little chicken burrito from chipotle,
    [​IMG]

38. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (293) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Very cool, what's your top 3 of the Top 250?

39. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Big day today. Why...cuz it's Thursday of course! The fate of the Karma system seems to be coming to a decision, our friend @bowzer4birdie has surgery scheduled, we are all anxiously waiting the return of @TheIPAHunter , and there is a lot of beer to be consumed! :wink: Let's see what was consumed in some stellar vessels yesterday (and there were a lot!) for the Glass of the Day Award!

GotD:
    From waaaay back in 2002 :grimacing:, @DoctorZombies pulled out his Mardi Gras tulip with some height for days! Hope that assisted in your RV sleepover :wink:. Cheers and congrats!
    2nd: looks like we are going for some more height today with @mickyge and his main mast pirate scene flute (that sounds awkward :confused:).
    3rd: keeping with the theme, @Tripel_Threat takes it up with a custom 70's paint job tulip.
    Honorable mentions go out to someone else who can't wait for Oktoberfest to return. @EMH73 busted out a glass stein with an appropriate "E" pewter face place for which I am assuming stands for the E in EMH, and out to the all-too-familiar @dcotom for another fine specimen, which also went along with the tall glass theme of the day.
    Cheers everybody, and I will see you all soon!

GotD: [​IMG]

2: [​IMG]

3: [​IMG]

HM1: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1369.436373/page-2#post-4910470

HM2: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1369.436373/page-7#post-4911279

40. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,663) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

-pleasantly shocked to find a Hair of the Dog bottle in a local shop! All previous HotD experiences involved walking over the Morrison Bridge during my yearly trip to Oregon -Blue Dot DIPA
    [​IMG]
    Dawgful Dead from 1991

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.