What beer are you drinking now? #1373

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,090) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Starting the day with a breakfast sandwich and this incredible stout

[​IMG]

2. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (448) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

only a couple of sips so far, letting it warm up a bit more now. first impression, pretty serious cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

3. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,346) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Sunday! Looks like it will be a hot and stormy day out there today.

Incredible brown ale. Definitely one of my all time favorites. Flavors of caramel, toffee, brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, chocolate, light vanilla/dark fruit, and herbal hops. Light herbal/roast bitterness on the finish; medium bodied; creamy/silky and slightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel. Great complexity, and a fantastic example of the style. More English than American on the style spectrum. Need to go find another fresh 6 pack soon, this was my last one.
    [​IMG]

Fantastic Rye IPA. Flavors of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, and pine hops; moderate caramel, toasted bread, and spicy rye malt; and floral/grassy hop earthiness. Good sized pine/rind bitterness; medium-full body; very sticky/resinous with a nice balancing creaminess in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing resin dryness; minimal hop/rye astringency. Glad these are back in the state again. I love the bright Columbus/Centennial hop character and nice malt backbone; while still remaining extremely hop forward and bitter on flavors. Very smooth for the ABV. I am always rotating through their 6 pack hoppy offerings, glad they date them now. Hope to see some limited bombers eventually too.
    [​IMG]

2015 is tasting amazing! Flavors of tart/juicy raspberries, red grape, plum, apple, pepper, candi sugar, and toasted bread; with some herbal hops and yeast earthiness. Balanced fruit tartness and peppery yeast spice on the finish against sweetness. Medium-full bodied; very smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly slick/syrupy mouthfeel. Good dryness from fruit acidity and yeast spice. Highly drinkable. I hope they make this again, I have 1 more bottle left. This shows great balance of Belgian style character, without just being a straight up over the top fruit beer. On a side note, I love that Rubaeus is year round. This is basically just the imperial Belgian version.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

4. djrn2

djrn2 Poo-Bah (2,548) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Society Trader

5. jaydoc

jaydoc Poo-Bah (4,231) Nov 12, 2008 Kansas
    Society Trader

Cheers BAs!

[​IMG]

6. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,144) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Not sure whether I happened to get a bottle from a very good batch or what, but I was surprised to see this beer have such moderate ratings. I thought it was very complex and enjoyable with a very unique taste profile. Pours a nice amber color with an inch worth of foam, which leaves a wonderful lacing behind. The nose is danky, floral and herbal. The flavor is full of spice, dank, and a touch of Belgian yeast. Overall a very interesting beer that, in my mind, definitely stands out.

[​IMG]

7. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Let's get it goin . . .

[​IMG]

Appearance: Clean lighter shade of gold color, white cap and good lacing.

Aroma: Citrus and yes, grapefruit. Nice hop punch. Some conifer in there as well.

Taste: Hop forward as the aroma implies. Substantial heft to it though, this is no lightweight in the flavor department. Hops carry all the way through playing the dominate role, yet they don't overwhelm. Clean finish retains hop flavors in the aftertaste.

Texture: Full, no doubt about it.

Overall: This is a good one. Aroma, flavor, finish, it all comes together.

#7 Squire, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

On a day like this, gotta get to these stouts before the temps climb into the 90 with like 100 percent humidity. Downing this and then starting what should be one of the last three or four days working on the deck.

[​IMG]

Because apropos and because my two daughters like the sound of her voice.

richj1970, vurt, larryi86 and 38 others like this.
  9. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,003) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

10. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,048) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

One more for the road...er, air. They actually brew beer at the airport. Only place in the country. Did not know this. Unfortunately the exclusive is tapped, so hanging with Tony
    [​IMG]

11. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,012) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I agree that Raging Bitch is underrated, IMHO. As they said at the brewery, "come for the name, stay for the beer". I do think that this year's batch is inferior to some I've had previously.

Shanex, vurt and lordofthewiens like this.
  12. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (683) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

13. lordofthewiens

Society

I agree. Stout early, lighter beer later.

barflybastard, vurt, MacMalt and 2 others like this.
  14. lordofthewiens

Society

Almost like we are telepathic!
    Cheers!

15. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,012) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! Today's new breakfast beer (soon to be a cross-post with NBS) is:

[​IMG]

A decent stout in which the expresso and malt flavors have faded and the fruity sherry flavors have advanced. Damn good!

dee4maine, L3the, richj1970 and 40 others like this.
  16. lordofthewiens

Society

Probably the highlight of the Tampa airport.
    Have a safe flight!

17. dszok

dszok Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2015 Pennsylvania

Was supposed to have a day of boating, instead woke up to an almost green pool and now a day of cleaning filter cartridges.
    [​IMG]

18. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,489) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]
    Drinking this now at 9:00 am.

19. SawDog505

Society

I
    I was kind of dissapointed with the body and the look. Thinner than I prefer and no lace and very little carbonation to speak of. Flavor was pretty good, but the bourbon was very subdued. Your thoughts on it?

lordofthewiens likes this.
  20. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,489) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is blend of barrel aged beer and non barreled beer. Probably why it was subdued.

Marklaker and SawDog505 like this.
  21. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (882) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning BA's and happy humid Sunday....

Got pretty toasted on my sailboat Saturday afternoon.....think it will be less outdoor, more indoor kind of day today for me....

Supposed to be mid-90's again and crazy humidity, so yeah....have to keep hydrated properly!

[​IMG]

Cheers all!

[​IMG]

22. funk7856

funk7856 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2016 Georgia

23. Hammerhead79

Hammerhead79 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts

24. lordofthewiens

Society

I really enjoyed the flavor. Thought it was mostly chocolate. The bourbon was definitely subdued.

joe1510, Marklaker and SawDog505 like this.
  25. Sorrydog

Sorrydog Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2016 Alabama

Gotta love that hoptimum.

mikeinportc likes this.
  26. boogerisu

boogerisu Devotee (478) Aug 19, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

27. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,639) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Stone IPA for a work break. Hickory for the smoker in the background.
    [​IMG]
    with some Icelandic music and images to help cool down.

28. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

29. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday BA's. I'm off to San Diego in a few, but I thought I could squeeze in the Glass of the Day Award real quick. FYI, I'll probably check in, but the Staff and I are taking a 2 day sabbatical, so save them goodies (sorry @BeerVikingSailor . Love the Vintage horn though!)!:sunglasses:

GotD: Thanks for making it easy again for me @TongoRad for what I'm gonna call your "clear glass low ball dimpled krug stein", or CGLBDKS for short. :stuck_out_tongue:. Cheers and congrats!
    2nd: Glad to see the Willibecher's coming out! Must be the hot weather choice glass :confused:, but one in particular blew me away. @joe1510 , love the Schlenkerla glass! For those not a fan of Rauchbiers out there...you just don't know yet :wink:.
    3rd: And finally, @AdmiralOzone . Your Coca Cola glass is a classic, and I saw you use many other glasses yesterday, but you have been committed to that Coke glass, and it deserves respect. Believe...no glass goes unnoticed.
    Honorable mentions go out to @TheIPAHunter for finally giving his speigelau glass a break for his new Tree House Willibecher's, and to @HopHunter19 and @flagmantho for their back to back lowball dimpled krug's.
    Cheers everyone, and I will see you all soon!

GotD. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

HM1: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1372.437106/page-3#post-4916185

HM's2:https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1372.437106/page-4#post-4916265
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1372.437106/page-4#post-4916266

30. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,896) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    7% abv isn't quite a "double" in my book, but its perfect for this beer...

[​IMG]
    I'm leaving the bottle out while I drink. It warms really well, and I know its all going down within the hour... :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy Sunday, BA...

31. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Moving on to this tasty number.

32. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Meyvn (1,029) Jul 4, 2008 New York

33. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Devotee (457) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Lowlander White Ale. Great taste and freshness. Will buy this again.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

The terror of frozen beer ...

[​IMG]

34. lordofthewiens

Society

Great avatar!

35. lordofthewiens

Society

Time for some yard work.

[​IMG]

36. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (555) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Went to a beer share yesterday and had some amazing beers, but this one was probably my favorite

[​IMG]

37. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (803) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Other Half

[​IMG]

Double Mosaic Dream

Some juice before lunch today!

Sunday Cheers BA

38. boogerisu

boogerisu Devotee (478) Aug 19, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

39. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,933) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Good Sunday Morning!

[​IMG]

40. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,051) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

[​IMG]

Good morning,

Out to brunch with the family at Red Rock brewery &pub. Trying their latest creation Gineva a Belgian pale brewed with Juniper berries, Orange peel and Kaffir lime leaves. Cheers BAs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.