What Beer Are You Drinking Now? #1398

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,264) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good day, BAs! It is finally here, the day you have been waiting for a couple weeks now - some to join in, some to know that the incessant promoting of the day will end:
    [​IMG]

Today is Throwback Thursday here at the virtual bar. This is the day you can join your fellow BAs at one end of the bar that are perusing the menu and picking out beers they have not had in a while.

We will be telling each other about the last time we had the beer, why we haven't had it in so long, and what we remember about it.

Then we will order the beer and taste it and let each other know if it is the same, better, or worse than we recall. We'll let each other know if we will consider ordering another in the future instead of skimming over it on the menu as we have so often done since our last encounter with it.

That's about all there is to it. Of course, this is a WBAYDN thread, you are free to order whatever you want off the menu. This is an inclusive place, but we do hope you get in the spirit of the day and revisit a beer you have accidentally or on purpose avoided for a period of time that you think is sufficient. Give that beer another chance!!

======================================

I am sorry for not having a beer in my hand to open a WBAYDN thread, but I ask for a little leeway due to the theme day. I was hoping there was an industrious BA out there who was having a morning brew to post so I could add to the thread versus start it.

Alas,I do have to go to work, so I will be joining you guys at the bar closer to Happy Hour. Keep my seat open, as I have a ubiquitous beer that I have not had in a while to revisit, plus a beer I really enjoyed but just stopped buying for a reason that makes no sense. Will tell you about them later on this Throwback Thursday.

Cheers ALL!!!

2. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,529) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Good morning BA!
    Some vintage Darkness on tap last night:grinning:
    [​IMG]

3. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,553) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Many thanks to @cjgiant for this Themed Thursday. So here's my first of three throwback contributions:
    [​IMG]
    This was one of the first beers I loved when I started getting into craft beer. The folks at my favorite local wine store introduced it to me at least five years ago, if not longer, and I remember seriously loving it back then. I cannot recall the last time I had one (and that's a phrase I'm sure will be used a lot today), but it's as still as great as I remember. Cheers with the time machine today, advocates!

Here's a more recent rendition of a total throwback song. For a 90 year old, he's still got it!

4. djrn2

djrn2 Poo-Bah (2,548) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Society Trader

5. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Meyvn (1,029) Jul 4, 2008 New York

2015 vintage. Bottle dated 1/13/15

[​IMG]

6. Motleydrunk56

Motleydrunk56 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 California

Good Morning.It has been quite a while since I have had one of these. I don`t know why because I like it.[​IMG]

7. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,050) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sherman, set the way-back machine for 1971 in Wurzburg, Germany!

Back in the day, we drank a lot of these (draft or flip tops) when off post, in the NCO club, or just before payday when we couldn't afford good American beer like PBR.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes we drank from these:
    [​IMG]

But today, since I'm not a pilsner promoter and don't own a pilsner glass, this will have to do:

[​IMG]

This was easier to find than water since the brewery was just across the river from our post. I had some REALLY nasty hangovers from this, and considering I usually drank Cutty Sark and Colt 45 boilermakers, that's saying something!

Back then, I considered this to be total crap, so understandably I've been hesitant to swill it down again. However, I was pleasantly surprised, despite it being 18 days past date.

$ 2.31 (Including tax)/11.2 oz bottle ($ 0.206/oz) at State Line Liquors, Elkton, MD
    BB 07/2016 at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
    Aroma – wet grain, light hops
    Head average (Maximum three cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to an irregular three to four mm ring and thin partial layer. This lacks the dense, clinging head which is characteristic of pilsners, possibly due to not owning a pilsner glass into which to pour it.
    Lacing poor – a couple of thin streaks and tiny islands of tiny to small bubbles
    Body light straw, clear, slight effervescence
    Flavor – begins crisp with some hop bitterness, well balanced with some malt sweetness. A hint of DMS comes through. No alcohol, no diacetyl.
    Palate – light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Actually not as bad as I recall: passable for a pilsner.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 3.75. Rating 3.7, Avg 3.82,
    rDev -3.1%

I'm still not going to run out and buy any pilsner glasses.

Of all the music from that time (Black Sabbath, ELP, King Crimson, Issac Hayes), here's an easier blast:

8. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,633) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Affligem meets Jack Daniels. Cheers!

And congrats for the new theme of the day @cjgiant

9. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,692) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]
    5% alcohol. "Flavored beer".

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Alright, I'll bite . . .

[​IMG]

Pours a beautiful golden amber color. Bright and clear, the others would do well to copy this inviting appearance.

The aroma is a somewhat muted caramel sweetness. Absolutely no off notes of any sort with an inviting offer of drinkability.

Taste is much like the aroma but richer with more depth. Some hop presence mid palate that recedes by the finish which is clean, quick, without a hint of bitterness of roasted malt or hops, and a slightly lingering note of malt richness. The aftertaste actually improves on the flavor.

Texture is Medium.

Overall I can't find any fault with this one, it's as determinedly bourgeois as a beer can get. Just a solid, rich, malty lager that's fine as it is. I think I would get bored drinking it everyday but I could also do a lot worse.

#10 Squire, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  11. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Zealot (506) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

Hopefully the first of many today featuring the great Torpedo from SN. How many times do you walk past this one looking for some big, new, fancy, limited release IPA? know I do quite often. And then I come back to it from time to time and remember just how great it is. And it is available in every state, in 6-packs for usually less than $10.

Such a great balance of malt and the piney, resin flavors. It's a great break from the gigantic hop bombs that the newer IPAs have become. Not that I don't like those, because I do. This is just as great it the classic OG style of west coast IPAs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't figure out which picture I like the best so screw it I posted all three.

Cheers!

12. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Before the ceremonials commence, let me say thanks to @cjgiant for getting us started and in the mood for Throwback Thursday (TbT as I call it :wink:). I am very excited for my contribution later today. Anywho, ummm...where was I?....Ahhhh yes, the Glass of the Day Awards!

GotD:
    Please welcome to the top of the podium, another first time winner for GotD, @Karnivool1 for this Teku / Spiegelau IPA hybrid glass. Cheers and congrats!
    2nd: @DoctorZombies for an early morning breakfast juice quart. Hope yer ma' gave you back your missing glasses :astonished:!
    3rd: Another first for GotD, thanks to @kevanb for visiting us all the way from Toon Town :grimacing: with his Tree House teku filled with some Bright, making it a proper post at that!

Honorable mention goes out to @champ103 for another proper post of Saint Arnold goods, and some sweet tunes honoring a legend.
    Cheers everyone, and I'll see you all (for a special TbT edition) soon!

GotD. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

HM: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-drinking-now-1397.442869/page-3#post-4959852

13. Motleydrunk56

Motleydrunk56 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 California

Last beer before bed.[​IMG]

14. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,670) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Starting with Asheville Brew. Co's Shiva IPA. It is a balanced West Coast style brew.
    The tipsy glass is new, probably meant for whiskey, it does cup the hop aromas.
    [​IMG]

15. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

For throwback Thursday I have jack's Abby Copper Legend.. I am looking at oktebrfests for the whole season. So to surprise my beer reps in the early morning after they changed the store to alphabetical order, ( I am there at 8 am) I told them I want only six of sierra nevada to start this year. I have my eye on spaten, I bought the sixer of Jacks abby pint cans because that was price point friendly.

I am drinking this beer right now so throw it back because it's Thursday and I have had this beer before. I actually went to Jack's Abby years ago and my friend Jordan, who works there, took me around when no one was in the back. Then as we walked back out there was a whole group of bicyclists in gear! Cinzano and they were fresh! The first thing someone said was can you please take a picture of us? I could not work the camera.. Cheers and Happy Throwback Thursday =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,775) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning, BA's! Starting a little earlier than usual due to TbT and all. Before I head, though, to that dark, scary path down memory lane, I'm priming the pumps with the latest Tired Hands release. Shocker!

[​IMG]

Most TH beers look nice, but this one's a stone cold stunner. Canned yesterday.

17. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

been looking for something fitting for throwback thursday
    i realized i havent had one of these years. literally.
    this one is a 2014 vintage from deep in the cellar, as i really enjoy it with some age.
    I think Storm King was the first imperial stout many of us had back in the day.

there she is in all of her glory
    [​IMG]

delicious.
    i hope to see lots of classics today!
    torpedo, old raspy, union jack brooklyn bcs, etc.
    10 extra points if someone unearths a Petes Wicked ale :slight_smile:

cheers

18. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (813) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Drinking local at lunch...
    [​IMG]
    Khoffner Pilsner

Cheers BA!

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

20. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (997) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Thursday ba. Cool theme going on and I wish I could partake a bit more seriously. But this being my final day in Maine it's going to be mostly new beers for me.
    I'm back at the thirsty pig enjoying more bissell bros substance ipa. So it's a throw back from Monday at least. Hazy and lush with lots of citra hops and probably another mix that I'm missing. It really reminds me of barrier money ipa w/ more haze to it. I think I prefer this to recipocol too,
    [​IMG]
    W/ another bowl of chilli for lunch,
    [​IMG]

21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,927) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I'm kind of hit-or-miss with these really cool themed-threads, and needless to say, I don't have a true throwback for today. However, I can offer this twist... :rolling_eyes:

Double Bastard was my first "big" beer about 5 years ago, and I was immediately in love. I was not averse to the huge hop and malt bill as some noobs to the craft scene may be - it just nailed it for me. I return to DB every year, and it never disappoints. Additionally, Stone has released a handful of incarnations of DB over the past 2-3(?) years, including their Bastard Box packs and 500 ml barrel-aged products (that are surprisingly pricey for Stone). Hey, I even liked Crime and Punishment, which were two pretty extreme fucking beers. So, maybe in a way this is a bit of a throwback to a classic, even if not in its original form...
    [​IMG]

Bastard's Midnight Brunch
    [​IMG]
    Depth-Charged Double Bastard, which was brewed with coffee, aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels and NE Ohio maple syrup barrels; 12.7% abv; $20.99 for 500 mL here on LI...

Holy shit - whatta punch in the nose!

The uncorking released a big blast of vanilla, maple, and caramelized coffee immediately...
    [​IMG]
    Wow - the coffee, maple, and bourbon wrap themselves around the big malts and hops of Double Bastard with ease. Full and rich, mild carbonation, a little sticky, a hint of chewiness. Sweet and soft, subtle booze and wood vapors.
    [​IMG]
    This is a big win for me. Neither sloppy nor over-the-top, but still bursting with decadent aromas and flavors; solid feel and a crave-generating finish...

Look, I'm tipsy! :stuck_out_tongue: lol
    [​IMG]
    I love bombers and pints because you get a second pour, albeit a bit less with the pint (or 500 mL, as the case may be), but you get the idea...
    [​IMG]
    Ah, see that? Beer magic. An old favorite (DB) and a recent favorite (Depth-Charged DB), evolved even further in this incredible ale...

Celebrity birthdays abound today. Ready? Robert Redford, Patrick Swayze (RIP 2009 - it was that long ago already? Wow...), Denis Leary, Madeleine Stowe, Craig Bierko, Edward Norton, Christian Slater, and Malcolm-Jamal Warner. Good day to be born a Hollywood aspirant, eh?

Happy Thor's Day, BA... :wink:

Cheers...

#21 Greywulfken, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  22. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Alright, here we go!

Throwback Beer #1

The beer: Duck Rabbit Milk Stout

Why I picked it: This was the first dark beer I ever tried. A young CanConPhilly, weaned exclusively on Yuengling and pumpkin beer, had palette fatigue, and stumbled across this at a club in Chapel Hill, NC called The Nightlight. It was the only dark beer they carried at the time.

Last consumed: 2009 (ish). This beer predates my Untappd use that started in 2011.

My rating then: 5/5

My rating now: 3/5

While still a decent beer, it's way too sweet for my current tastes. That sugary stout thing that I liked when first getting into craft beer is not appealing anymore. Will not buy again.

[​IMG]

Year-appropriate tunes:

23. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Hey BA's! Around 12:30 here in warm, sunny NOVA & I'm currently revisiting this brew in the spirit of THROWBACK THURSDAY:
    [​IMG]
    First - double thanks to @cjgiant - for both hosting this theme day & also for gently 'reminding' me that Local Species might be a good selection for today's fun :wink::slight_smile::rolling_eyes:

For those unfamiliar with LS - it's essentially a barrel-aged Belgian-style strong Pale...more or less. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't cracked one of these open in at least two years, despite the fact that I've always enjoyed drinking it. Just too much other good stuff out there? I'm suddenly not so sure, because this is tasting far better than I had remembered :grimacing::grinning:

It even looks better than I remembered - this hazy orange/copper hue is really vibrant, along with some pretty satisfying lacing & retention. It has a dense nose - caramel, pitted fruit jump out...but there's also lemon zest, some hop aroma, traces of Bourbon barrel & spice as well. The barrel is more well-defined on the palate...imagine if all the flavor components in this brew are planets, Bourbon barrel would be the flavor-sun that they all revolve around.

Altogether, I couldn't be happier to have revisited this one - think it's probably just made a space for itself back in the 'regular' rotation :slight_smile:

Really enjoying reading everyone's throwback write-ups so far! Today is gonna be a blast :grinning:

Tunes:

As always- Drink up & drink on, my fellow advocates!

24. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,274) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

The Substance from Bissell Brothers... this was excellent on draft at the brewery but, out of the can, it's just not doing it for me.
    [​IMG]
    Throwback Thu... ? Gah! I'm NEVER on theme! Maybe later, after I've mowed the lawn.

25. mschrei

Society Trader

Not a throwback beer, but the beer glass has a picture of my daughter from about two and a half years ago.
    [​IMG]

26. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,670) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

My Throwback Thursday submission is my college go-to from a then-local brewery,
    Utica Club's Pilsener Lager
    I have only had a few of these since the early 80's, both on tap and in cans. Today's presents
    a familiar and welcome first hop-whiff. That aroma is there and then it it is not, just as I remember. This is a clean, clear consistent brew. Between my science studies, athletics and limited academic talent, there were not too many days that I could really throw-down, but if I had another it would be open.
    [​IMG]
    a campus show (19 April 1983) included:

and

27. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,957) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Bell's Amber Ale

[​IMG]

Cheers all.

28. OlaB

OlaB Defender (624) Oct 20, 2015 Norway

29. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,442) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake

[​IMG]

30. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,108) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Vintage Darkness makes … seem one dimensional: dark fruit, chocolate, espresso, toffee, vanilla, subtle smokiness/cigar, molasses + mouthfeel was extremely impressive considering the age: thick, rich, and creamy. Forget about those Maple Syrup bombs, complexity and thought process keeps the mind entertained

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Throwback Beer #2

The beer: Dogfish Head 90

Why I picked it: This is the ipa that got me into ipas. Previous to DFH 90 I thought they were all too bitter to enjoy. This brew changed my mind.

Last consumed: 2012

My rating then: 4/5

My rating now: 3.5/5

[​IMG]

I'd forgotten how good this beer is. The old east coast style of IPA? Dogfish Head was way up there, pre-juice bomb. A bit heavy-handed on the alkee-hol taste, but still holds up.

Throwback tunes:

32. MUTINY

Hey again, BA's! Now coming up on 2 here in NOVA & I'm onto another throwback...seasonal edition:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe a bit of a stretch given the year-to-year variations seen in this kind of release...but it's been ages since I've had a GL Oktoberfest & today's theme seemed like a good enough reason for me to give it another go.

Frankly, this is just not as good as I remembered it being. This brew was probably one of the first Marzens that I had ever tasted & at the time I remember being quite impressed by the depth of flavor.
    Flash-forward to today - after consuming many Autumns worth of quality Oktoberfest brews in the interim - this brew just strikes me as tiptoeing on being overdone. Not bad by any means, but much more bold & aggressive than what I tend to look for within this style.

Yer dead to me, Great Lakes Oktoberfest:

:wink::stuck_out_tongue::grinning:

Naw, I would drink this again - but it definitely wouldn't be near the top of the list.

As always- Drink up & drink on, my fellow advocates!

33. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,222) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Stepping back in time to partake in the @cjgiant Throwback Thursday with the help of @LeperJim and his time machine inspired art. I've been thinking about 'splurging' for this $6.49 six pack of Schlitz for months now and decided to once again explore the Gusto.

It tastes as good as it did when I tried it after the formula was revamped in 2008 and light years better then the swill version I drank in my ignorant youth. It pours a crystal clear pale yellow leaving a baby finger of white foam. The smell was the unmistakable old school lager esters of my childhood when I would sit on my fathers lap and beg for a sip of his beer. Flavor is floral in nature up front, followed by cereal grains and some grass. The feel is crisp, clean and super drinkable with a kiss of hop biterness in the finish.

[​IMG]

It made Milwaukee famous back in the day, so I'll imagine that it tastes as good as it did in 1954 while sitting on the patio recovering from a 5 mile run between storms on this humid day. For under 7 bucks a six, I need to get this back in the fridge from time to time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers to the throwback beers, our gracious host and a fun spin on today's thread. It really brought back a rush of memories.

34. mschrei

Society Trader

Throwback offering #2:
    [​IMG]
    A few years ago, I would buy one of these every couple of weeks to have on Friday night with pizza. I think it's still the same price of $4.99, but I'm sure it's still the same hop bomb it was back then, although it does seem a little mild compared to some of the new ones out there these days. I'm definitely glad I picked it up for this theme. Hoping it pairs well with my leftover taco meat loaf nachos and the next episode of Stranger Things.
    [​IMG]
    A band I remember really loving in the late eighties. This song was going though my head today because of the theme.

35. MUTINY

Killer post! I love the inclusion of all the Schlitz gear...& that glass...:-)

36. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (997) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Have to bang out a bunch of beers I've still got sitting in the room mini fridge. Stone face full clip ipa, pretty decent stuff,
    [​IMG]

37. Prager62

Society Trader

Thanks man! It was fun to pull out some props for the grand occasion today.

GreenBayBA, LeperJim and MUTINY like this.
  38. MUTINY

I hear ya :-)
    So I happen to have a vintage Schlitz can, too - although it's nowhere near as pristine as yours:
    [​IMG]
    Small world :wink::slight_smile:

39. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

A bomber of Hop Stoopid + amazeballs-looking nachos + Stranger Things? On a Thursday afternoon? You are living the life :grinning:

40. Prager62

Society Trader

Indeed it is! The backstory on my vintage can is I found five cases of them stuffed in walls and under the floor of an old building in Chicago years ago. I still have a 'few' hanging around my garage.:astonished:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.