What beer are you drinking now? #1610

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,553) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

After 8am and no one's started this thread yet?
    Happy to see the Gamecocks beat Marquette. My first real job was at the University of South Carolina. Next up is mighty Duke. How about an upset?
    I am lazing around this morning. Eating leftovers from last night and drinking a Yeti.
    Have a good weekend, boys and girls!

[​IMG]

2. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (442) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

another wrinkle labeled Westified. couple of weeks back came across a few more 6ers, took one & got home - backside of the 6 had 3 Lil Sumptin's bottles (which have the same colored caps). :mad:. store exchanged them but many of the labels were slightly mangled. my conclusion was someone was probably swapping these around filling Lil Sumpin' cartons with Westified but leaving the grocer paying the Lil Sumpin' price.

[​IMG]

3. 911CROFT

911CROFT Disciple (391) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

300 Beers to choose from.
    Warming up with a St. Austell: Big Job.

[​IMG]

4. dee4maine

dee4maine Disciple (395) Jun 3, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Gooood Morning friends!
    Hope y'all are resting your livers. Seems like WBAYDN had a busy night.
    I am back from work and giving hugs to my family including this little baby!
    He isn't as cute as @Lingenbrau 's progeny!
    Cheers and have a great weekend.
    [​IMG]

5. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (7,219) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Saturday! Thankfully work tapered down this week, as they shelved the new SUV program I was working on; but I still have some overtime to put in for other stuff. Will definitely be cleaning up around here today. I have a bunch of junk laying around after receiving a trade box yesterday.

Great stuff! Amazing head retention and thick lacing down the glass. Aromas and flavors of big nutty medium roast coffee, milk chocolate, cocoa, caramel, vanilla, cream, brown sugar, toasted oats, and brown bread; with a touch of herbal hops. Light herbal hop and roast bitterness on the finish, Medium bodied with a really nice creamy/silky mouthfeel; slight roast chalk and hop stickiness. Slightly drying. Really rich for 6%, and well rounded in complexity for a milk stout. Really big fan, will grab more while it's in season.
    [​IMG]

Fantastic! Flavors of mango, melon, peach, pineapple, berry, passion fruit, papaya, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon/orange zest, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate caramel, brown sugar, toffee, and toasted biscuit malt; with herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/rind/spicy bitterness; with a nice balanced finish of sticky/resinous hops and creamy/bready malt character in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness. Never astringent, very drinkable. Very juicy and dank on hops, especially in the aromas; with a sizable malty backbone that is not overly sweet or heavy at all. Might end up grabbing another pack before the end of the seasonal best by date. This is one of my favorite new Stone beers.
    [​IMG]

Fantastic DIPA. Flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with honey, toasted bread, light caramel malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/rind/spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied; balanced creamy and sticky/resinous mouthfeel; slightly slick. Increasing resin/rind dryness with no hop astringency. Minimal warming 9.5%. Glad I bought a full pack last week just so I could revisit my review. Very dank and juicy; nice malt backbone, but never too sweet or heavy. Very drinkable despite a strong drying bitter/resinous finish. The Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe hop combo is delicious and one of my favorite trios. Been drinking a lot of Green Flash and Alpine lately, since they have been much easier to find fresh.
    [​IMG]

This is insane! Flavors of lightly tart blueberries, milk chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toffee, fudge, vanilla, toasted coconut, bourbon, oak, and dark bread; with some lighter notes of molasses, licorice, and raisins. Light roasted bitterness and fruit tartness on the finish. Full bodied with an amazing creamy/silky/rich mouthfeel. Some light roast malt chalkiness and fruit acidity; touch of dryness from both. Never cloyingly sweet, but definitely a dessert beer. Amazingly smooth, minimally warming 10.5%. A near perfect balance of berries, cocoa/vanilla, malt, and barrel character. Tons of flavor complexity, and it all comes together extremely well. I've always been a big fan of fruit stouts, so I'm not surprised how much I loved this one. Seems pretty polarizing to most people, but this is one of my favorites from last year. This is the 3rd bomber I've had, and I have 2 more left in the cellar. Will definitely buy more since they are still around. I don't even care about the price. Totally worth it for me.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

I've been out of the loop on this band for a few years, but they just released a new album 2 weeks ago. I really don't like deathcore at all, but this band has enough of the Proggy Djent style to really appeal to my tastes.

New Persefone album is sounding great so far. Don't think it tops Spiritual Migration just yet.

6. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,431) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Good morning BAS! Today's New Breakfast Beer is:

@jzeilinger beat me to this one - apparently he was at Stoudt's a week earlier than I. Really nice schwarzbier but then Stoudt's does a good job on German styles.

7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (1,937) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Beautiful sunny morning and a lovely 55degrees. Long walk to the park and back with the dogs complete, so let's get this post Irish beer drinking day started right:

[​IMG]

Photobucket is working again...and thanks to all who assisted yesterday with the Imgur help. I now have the app on this iPhone and will experiment when having a beer out and not connected to wifi (another 'bucket limitation) to hopefully post more photos - another great day to be alive - cheers!

8. Squire123

Squire123 Savant (976) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Breakfast brew . . . woohoo . . .

[​IMG]

Score 3.89
    look: 3.5 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light hazy yellow color with quickly disappearing white cap. A bit disappointing really, I was expecting something sorta red, it's an attractive color none the less.

Aroma is clearly melon, I should also say cleanly melon, it's not obtrusive. Something like you would pick up walking into a kitchen where there is a bowl of ripe fruit on the counter. Orangey, citrusy also, though I don't know if any of that stuff is in there.

Taste is simple and good. It has a ripe melon flavor but not like the deep ripe watermelon flavors we're accustomed to in the Deep South. For all it's intensity, ripe watermelon is actually a difficult taste to capture, (try making watermelon daiquiris sometime) but they have captured a melon essence here. I don't find hops in the body, finish or aftertaste, just more melon but there's no overt sweetness and a complete lack of bitterness.

Medium texture supported by enough carbonation to balance.

Good effort at a pleasing, tasty Summer Shandy though I expect it would work just as well anytime of the year. Like flavored teas with food it really doesn't have the bite to stand up to spicy dishes. A 19th hole refresher.

9. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (600) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio

10. JamFuel

JamFuel Champion (820) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden

[​IMG]

I haven't had a beer all week, trying to revive my liver and taste buds after the Rage in New England. Having some of this year's KBS, listening to one of the most engaging tunes I've heard in a while. I'm not religious, but damn, it grooves!

11. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

12. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (2,679) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A couple over easy eggs, a tall glass of water, and a hoppy sour. That's how I'll start my Saturday.
    [​IMG]

Sur Citra by TO ØL. Hoping this start is as good as the finish, with UVa playing a late game.

It's my understanding that situation is what caused DFH to have the lime green (and the purple-pinkish) caps, easier for cashiers to see. Recall wondering how well trained the cashiers at the big grocers might be, DFH beers being such a small part of any store's sales. Seems a good idea that could help bottle shops, and my perhaps flawed recollection would put the change about the time I started seeing Total Beverage (now Total Wine) around.

Edit: just looked up TW, and see it started in DE in the 90s. Not sure when they hit NoVa.

13. jkblr

jkblr Initiate (188) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana

Good Morning BA
    Nightshifts completed, now for a celebratory drink
    [​IMG]
    3 years on this one and it is exactly what I need to end/start this night/day. This has held up well. No floaties, no oxidation and tastes great. Still a little hot and could probably go for many more years in the right conditions. Drink well Advocates

14. beermanben

beermanben Aspirant (254) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

15. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Canterbury Brewers: Itzamna
    Smells like Vanilla ice cream. Tastes like port.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,215) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

This year's? What's the date? Just curious as it looks like an old label. Cheers....:)

17. laketang

laketang Defender (613) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois

long spring clean day ahead, wife coming home tomorrow will do a mid-morning cheers

[​IMG]

18. JamFuel

Hmm, it's the one that was released in Sweden a couple of weeks ago, the only date I find is a Best by 01.12.17. The bottles have special import labels on the back, maybe they use the old label on the front? Or maybe these are pre aged? :)

[​IMG]

19. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Disciple (385) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Happy Saturday, BAs! Pregaming a 1 year old's birthday party with this. Tired Hands' Severed Goddess Hand.
    [​IMG]

20. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (152) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

the once in Norway has this label

[​IMG]

21. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Champion (806) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Founders Imperial stout for breakfast shared with the better half.

22. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Keeping it light with lunch. Bad Seed: Session IPA

[​IMG]

23. bobarc

bobarc Initiate (162) Jul 23, 2005 North Carolina

What are you eating?

mikeinportc, thebeers and JamFuel like this.
  24. JamFuel

I think the thing on the right is a Yorkshire pudding...

25. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Pie & Mash! A British pub classic. Steak and Ale Pie, Mashed Potato, Mushy Peas & Gravy. Cheers!

26. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (216) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Good morning Beeradvocate. Pouring some morning coffee and getting ready for the WVU vs Notre Dame tipoff.

I've got my Mounties going to the elite 8 this year :)

[​IMG]

27. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

28. JamFuel

Looks great, even if I was mistaken about what it was. Been too long since I was in the U.K...

911CROFT likes this.
  29. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,215) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Interesting label variations. I'm strictly speculating but I'd guess the best by would have to be from 16, especially if it was just released weeks ago. As for the December bottling, who knows? The abv. on the labels here this year is 11.8%. Perhaps my curiosity will ask Founders when time permits. Cheers and thanks for sharing that observation.:)

30. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

You're forgiven! We like like everything covered in gravy! Pies, puddings, chips!

russpowell and JamFuel like this.
  31. sposter4

sposter4 Zealot (520) Mar 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

32. JamFuel

I'll probably shoot Founders an email, this kind of thing bugs me! :)

Victory_Sabre1973 and Prager62 like this.
  33. JamFuel

Everything is better with gravy, and bacon! :)

34. JamFuel

Also, European dates aren't written the same way as American, the Swedish best by 01.12.17 means December 1st 2017. And the Swedish rules usually stipulate that Best by is either 6 month or 12 months into the future, from brewing. Could the KBS have been brewed in December 2016?

35. JamFuel

[​IMG]

It's time to start chipping away at my massive NE haul, so here it goes. This is the "oldest" of the Trillium I brought home, huge thanks to @colby600 for this bonus. The smell is just unreal...

36. HopHunter19

HopHunter19 Zealot (594) May 2, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

37. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

38. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (1,553) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Did not intend to join this early but I was bringing beer home from the bottle shop and I heard a loud pop. I quickly emptied the box and found a Gang of Blades had popped its top. most of it stayed in the can so nothing to do but drink it at this point. I paid for it and I'm not wasting a great beer.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe