What beer are you drinking now? #1640

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 911CROFT, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (435) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Evil Twin: Imperial Doughnut Break. Not picking up any doughnut, but tasty all the same.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, Prager62, BWood and 50 others like this.
  2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,856) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I couldn't find actual doughnut either, but there was some sweetness that I took to be doughnut

BWood, VABA, SawDog505 and 2 others like this.
  3. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Devotee (427) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

[​IMG]

Gigantic • The City Never Sleeps

Happy to see Gigantic take this one out of retirement for their five year anniversary. This was the first beer I ever had from them.

4. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (8,233) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Monday! The holiday weekend passed by just a little too quickly, but I had a good time. Lots of food and great time with family, but I am ready to get back to my normal daily routine once again. Finishing off my mini cellar stash this morning.

Fantastic pale ale, last of the 6 pack. Flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, and pine hops; with moderate malt sweetness of caramel, brown sugar, and toasted biscuit; and floral/grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/citrus peel/rind bitterness on the finish. Very smooth medium body; balanced hop stickiness and bready Munich malt creaminess in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness, with no hop astringency. Absolutely love the balance and the juiciness of the Cascade/Centennial hops in combination with the bready malt bill. Might grab more of this soon.
    [​IMG]

Awesome imperial red, last of the 4 pack. Flavors of huge grapefruit, tangerine, mango, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, and pine hops; with moderate caramel, toffee, toasted bread malt sweetness; and floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine/grassy/citrus peel bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied; balanced bready creaminess and hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Light resins/rinds and increasing dryness with a touch of hop astringency. Super smooth, mild warming 9.4%. Very bright, juicy, and dank hops; with great malt balance. Pretty aggressive but not overwhelming. Might get another pack, still less than a month old from bottling.
    [​IMG]

Absolutely insane stout! Flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, maple syrup, marshmallow, molasses, toffee, fudge, whiskey, toasted oak, coconut, dark bread, and light spicy rye/smoke. Light roast bitterness and rye whiskey/oak spice on the finish. Very full bodied creamy, silky, velvety, rich mouthfeel. Minimal chalky roast, oak tannin, or dryness. Insanely smooth, perfectly balanced barrel and malt complexity. Mildy warming finish, with zero booze. This is a masterpiece. Thicker, richer, and more complex than the regular Hipster; and even more aromatic, without any booziness as it warms up. I still love the regular Hipster Brunch, but this is a whole other level of amazing. I grabbed plenty more of the recent release this year.
    [​IMG]

2016 is tasting amazing as usual. Flavors of big nutty dark roasted coffee, milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, molasses, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, toasted oak, and coconut; hint of smoke. Bittersweet roast and lightly spicy oak/bourbon finish; with a creamy, silky, velvety full body mouthfeel. Touch of chalky roast and tannic oak dryness. Minimal warming 12.4%, no barrel booze. Pretty much perfectly balanced between coffee, malt, and barrel character. Still have 1 more of this vintage left, but I grabbed plenty of 2017. Updated my 5 year old review last weekend with a 2017.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

5. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Yeah that's it. I'm getting a general sweetness that's not the usual chocolate/ caramel/ vanilla notes above a big dark/ dry/ roasty base. Perhaps a slight glazed sugar-like impression (but I could be finding what I expect to/ want to with that) but mainly a little chocolate syrup, bittersweet cocoa, chocolate covered coffee beans. Very good though, and not at all cloying.

6. chuckgietzen

chuckgietzen Defender (688) Nov 10, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

In honor of the Easter holiday, yesterday I went back to back with a couple of brews that have a religious reference in their name.

First time for me with both of these beers, and boy they did not disappoint at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on this sunshine-filled Monday morning, I am enjoying one of my last Hopslams for the year.

[​IMG]

Although the sun is shining, I am still wishing I was on a beach somewhere tropical, with "no worries"

Cheers!

7. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,579) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

Good morning BAs! Starting the day with this New Breakfast Beer:

A pleasant little IPA from @Dragginballs76 - Thanks Michael!

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 36 others like this.
  8. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,102) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Some Sunshine City this sunny morning as I start packing up the RV:

Have a great Monday, y'all!

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 38 others like this.
  9. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,361) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Hey from the phone, :stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

crappy photo and I still did not really figure out how to do it right. Cheers BA!

10. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Aspirant (272) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Easter Monday where I am. So in fact enjoying an extra Sunday. Together with this Nebuchadnezzar (IPA) from Omnipollo.
    Cheers.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 39 others like this.
  11. jkblr

jkblr Devotee (432) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana

Good Morning BA
    Mother in law bought a case of this for Easter. I brought one home to review.
    [​IMG]
    I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a Keystone Light. Enjoy what's in your glass today BA.

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 33 others like this.
  12. JakeScully

JakeScully Crusader (718) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

Easter Monday here too, hope everyone has had a good one...

Have to say this is a recycled pic, but I've just chugged two leftover Leffe. No errands possible on this holiday, so will have to wait tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 38 others like this.
  13. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Magic Rock: Human Cannonball.

[​IMG]

14. jkblr

jkblr Devotee (432) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana

Well, the shandy went down fast. This is a home brewed ESB that probably wandered into English IPA territory. I'm still learning and having fun.
    [​IMG]
    It does look good in the glass though. Drink well Advocates

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, VABA and 37 others like this.
  15. Beer-Panda

Stillwater Cellar Door. A wheat ale brewed with white sage.
    Cheers.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  16. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,442) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Starting the day off with a little paradise. Picking up some cinnamon cookie notes that I was getting from Hunahpu's last year. Really nice. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 40 others like this.
  17. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Savant (978) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

A great day around Bonn. Amazing city, and the sun came out for a bit this afternoon. Stopped by the house in which Beethoven was born. Cool stuff.

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this amazing beer!

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, Zaphog and 45 others like this.
  18. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I wrestled with the decision of what to drink for all of about five minutes. In the end, I suppose it was always a clear choice.

[​IMG]

Superbly smooth right now.

Cheers!

19. papposilenus

papposilenus Defender (633) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Coburg doppelbock from Night Shift. Breakfasting like a monk...
    [​IMG]

20. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,016) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Happy Easter Monday![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying some pours from Marshal Zhukov's Penultimate Push...
    [​IMG]

Happy birthday Sean Bean, 58...
    [​IMG]
    No actor brings more life to death than this guy, or is it death to life? :confused: lol

Boromir was my favorite role of his, until Game of Thrones, of course... :sunglasses:

Rumbles from the Mountain...

Felix Pappalardi, December 30, 1939 – April 17, 1983

And, from Mount Doom... :wink:

Cheers, BA...

21. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,186) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

22. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Crusader (745) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

Here are the weekend's pictures that refused to upload.
    Miskatonic Flying Dutchman rum barrel aged for a year. A great sipper.
    [​IMG]
    And a Guinness Golden in it's proper glassware.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing Now, but dare I say I will drink next with the Blackhawks next score?

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 34 others like this.
  23. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,443) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

A bottle from 10/16/15 while watching the conclusion of the Boston Marathon. It's the closest I'll get to running that distance again. Happy Patriots Day!

24. Beer-Panda

Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew. Wow ...!

[​IMG]

25. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (144) Dec 25, 2015 Washington

26. moshea

moshea Devotee (419) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Shorts Small Heath ESB
    ESB's are not my favorite style, but this one s 3.9% ABV. I am driving my 11 year old son around so I needed something low ABV with lunc.

This is my first world of beer visit. Nice spot for a chain beer bar.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  27. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,435) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

lager lunch . . .

[​IMG]

Herbal, spicy, slightly coffeeish, toffeeish aroma with something like dark figs in the background. Not really catching any hops but these heavy flavors usually cover that up anyway.

Taste on entry is dark toffee quickly followed by the herbal element. Don't know exactly what that element is, perhaps a lager yeast at warmer temperature fermentation has created that but it's in there and it taste good. Mid palate I'm getting more of the plummy, ripe fig influence which is just adding layers to the first impression flavors. Spicy, clove like threads weave in by the finish and linger in the aftertaste along with a touch of coffee but no roast bitterness.

Sometimes a dark brew based on roasted malt can throw off some bitterness along with the rich flavors. Not here, the elements I'm describing work together nicely. I don't quite know what kind of animal this is, an ale influenced lager or a lagered ale, but the jammy, figgy, roasty, toasty, clove stuff shout Belgian while it drinks like a strong lager and a good one at that. Complex yet restrained, flavorful yet sophisticated.

28. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (478) May 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So far, my decision to take today off has been working out pretty well:

• Slept in until 7:15
    • Made breakfast with my daughter
    • Ran all errands

And now, it's time for a backyard picnic

[​IMG]

Cheers!

29. dee4maine

dee4maine Devotee (466) Jun 3, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Good afternoon friends!
    I have a 9 day break starting today. I am excited for an upcoming trip to Texas for a family wedding. Lots of crawfish and yellow rose in my near future is always something to look forward to.
    I will be checking in lots of New England goodies for my cousins (Swish, MBC, Trillium)
    But before I fly all the swish someone's gotta do the quality control:slight_smile:
    [​IMG]
    Dank, pineapples, tangerines...ummm perfect.
    Cheers.

30. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,102) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Turkish beer with Turkish lunch:

Cheers from Charlottesville VA!

Lingenbrau, RyanK252, LeRose and 37 others like this.
  31. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Meyvn (1,069) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming

Stone Ripper on a cloudy and windy day.

[​IMG]

Cheers

32. StoutElk_92

Beer Trader

Moving on to some Hawaiian Brunch from Kent Falls, a Pale ale brewed with hibiscus and pineapple, then dry hopped with Galaxy and Michigan Copper. Might be some brett in here as well. Really nice. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

33. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,016) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Finishing up my Penultimate journey with the Marshal (in da big snifta!) while watching the most recent entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Doctor Strange...

Cheers, true believers... :wink:

34. papposilenus

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Mismatched glassware by about 10 miles.

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 32 others like this.
  35. StoutElk_92

Beer Trader

That's a really great IPA. Never heard of that brewery before trying that beer recently, and I would gladly drink more of their stuff.

36. papposilenus

Beer Trader

You should. They have a really nice taproom, just a few minutes off 95. I had a flight there a couple weeks ago on my way through and thought both Althea and Tropical Haze were even better than Hi-Fi.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  37. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Last day of vacation. Playset construction all done. Wood chips to come. I'm dead tired, but the boys are loving it already. On to my last beer of vacation....

This is really fantastic! Probably my favorite Allagash fruited sour I've had. An awesome balance of strawberries, funk, and just enough acidity. Really delicious!

[​IMG]

38. SABERG

SABERG Meyvn (1,445) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

At Northampton Brewery enjoying a really well done Steamer
    Great clarity and flavors
    Cheers all

Lingenbrau, LeRose, larryi86 and 18 others like this.
  39. papposilenus

Beer Trader

Night Shift One Hop This Time: Idaho 7...
    [​IMG]
    ...if they gave this a real name, and added it to the regular line up, I might drink it every day.

40. Beer-Panda

I'm not a huge fan of after dinner puddings or cakes (still celebrating Easter here). This Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake is more than a wonderful alternative.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.