Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What beer are you drinking now? #1702

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bbtkd, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,485) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Never kicked one of these off before - happy father's day. In my case, also my birthday - happens on the same day every few years. This is a day to celebrate fatherhood, hopefully either with your father, in memory of your father, or as a father. Hopefully you have plans that are commensurate with the day, and have the opportunity to reflect on the responsibilities and benefits of fatherhood. In my case, my father would have been 110 this year, and he was 52 when I was the youngest born to a large family with seven kids. Today, I plan to celebrate with my wife and adult daughter, but my son has to work and is out of town at college, which he finishes in December. We're going out for lunch then later will grill, and of course I'm planning to have a few excellent brews. Knocking back a KBS coffee now. Happy father's day!

[​IMG]

#1 bbtkd, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,551) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This father is thoroughly enjoying a quiet morning while the kids are out of town visiting other fathers. They'll be back around lunch time and I'll have the ribs ready. Until then it's just me, the furry children and my old buddy Sam . . .

[​IMG]

Rich, hazy gold color with white cap and lace. I don't usually find hazy brews that attractive but this one has a sort of luminescence about it.

Maraschino cherry aroma wafting up from the glass. That's the scent but it comes across as a dry one without the sweetness I associate with that type of cherry.

Taste like a mild wheat beer with a low hop level and very clean yeast that left virtually no trace of having been there. Imposed on this is a rich maraschino cherry flavor that dominates the field like a single spotlight shining on the 50 yard line.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

Ok, it tastes like cherry which comes as no surprise since that information is printed on the label. How much like cherry you ask? Well, a whole lot which I guess is sorta the point. These light wheat beers can be flavored with a number of things and said things often are the dominant taste. Same thing here in spades.

TooGood, aoampm, Premo88 and 59 others like this.
  3. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,106) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Fathers Day! Another normal Sunday for me. Bottle returns, laundry, and some work to catch up on for tomorrow. Should be a pleasant day. Will give my dad a call later on.

Haven't had this in a while, but did have the BBA version recently. Fantastic Belgian DIPA. Amazing head retention and thick lasting lacing. Flavors of big tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, peppercorn, clove, citrus rind, pine, and light banana/bubblegum; with moderate honey, bread, light caramel malt balance; herbal, floral, grassy hop and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate pine/rind bitterness and yeast spiciness on the finish. Medium-full bodied; balanced bready creaminess and hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Slight resins/rinds and increasing bitter/spicy dryness, with no astringency. Very drinkable, mildly warming ABV. Just as outstanding as I remember, but not as dark on the malt character. The appearance is much paler than it was previously. Well worth grabbing another single while it's around.
    [​IMG]

Amazing again this year. Flavors of huge nutty medium roast coffee, milk chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, toasted brown bread, and light smoke/dark fruit; with some herbal/woody hop and coffee characteristics. Light-moderate herbal hop and roasted coffee bitterness; full-ish body creamy/silky mouthfeel, with some light sticky/chalky roast notes as well. Light roasted dryness. One of the most coffee forward beers I've ever had. Huge on fruity/nutty coffee complexity; and the base brown ale is spot on, and very well balanced. Like a brown ale version of FBS, and I feel it is equally as impressive. Feels a tad more bitter than I recall last year, but maybe I just need to age it for a bit. I prefer regular breakfast stout with 6 months on it anyways. Last of the first 4 pack, but already got another.
    [​IMG]

Incredible as always, last bottle. Flavors of mango, melon, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, guava, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate honey and spicy rye bread malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine/rind/spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-plus bodied; balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resin/rindy hops in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing resin/rind dryness, no hop astringency. Very mildly warming ABV, dangerously smooth. Already grabbed a pack of Born Again Yesterday. I loved it just as much as the regular. Mosaic and Equinox hops are my favorite.
    [​IMG]

Incredible! Flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, wood smoke, vanilla, caramel, toffee, bourbon, toasted oak, molasses, and dark bread; with lighter notes of cherry, raisin, licorice, and charcoal. Light-moderate roast/char bitterness and light bourbon/oak spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full bodied. Thick creamy, silky, bready Munich malt mouthfeel. Lightly slick, chalky, and tannic. Lightly drying bitter roast and oak tannins. Warming finish, very mild booze. Wow, this is supposed to be a re-brew of 21st Anniversary, but it is way better! More rich, roasty, dense, and complex; with more barrel presence, and less booze. Dangerously smooth. Really well rounded and balanced stout flavors. I grabbed as many singles as I could find after I reviewed it(not many), but we just got a new shipment in last week; so I can go buy more now.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Forgot how much I enjoy this album. My least listened album from them, but still great. They are releasing a new one in August. I love the whole discography, even with the changes in music style. Looking forward to it. The single sounded great. Prog metal.

Amazing album this year. Mastodon has always been killing it. Love every album.

Samlover55, aoampm, ovaltine and 54 others like this.
  4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,982) Sep 17, 2005 Maine

Happy Fathers Day AND Happy Birthday!

5. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,278) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

6. lordofthewiens

Another gray, drizzly day. I won't be able to stain the deck, at least not this morning. I am starting the day with a breakfast sandwich and some coffee.

[​IMG]

To all you fathers out there, have a great day!

7. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,386) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Happy Birthday! :grinning:

8. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Thanks, you too! I forgot to post a picture of the edible bouquet my wife got me. Fruit, with some chocolate dipping.

[​IMG]

9. lordofthewiens

Very nice!
    Don't forget your veggies!

bbtkd likes this.
  10. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

We polished off the fruit, but left the kale!

lordofthewiens likes this.
  11. utopiajane

Yummy! That goes with all your beer that you like =)

VABA, SawDog505 and bbtkd like this.
  12. EMH73

EMH73 Meyvn (1,157) Sep 16, 2015 New York

Happy Birthday and Happy Fathers Day. Nice start to the thread.

bbtkd and VABA like this.
  13. EMH73

Happy Fathers day to all. I apologize for the recycled pic, cell phone is in the bedroom with the sleeping wife. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

aoampm, ovaltine, mmorris15 and 43 others like this.
  14. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,792) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

Good morning BAs! Happy Father's Day to all us fathers and happy birthday to @bbtkd. Thanks for starting the thread! Today's new Breakfast Beer is one I purchased before the sellout and to which I was looking forward. Unfortunately it's a thinly disguised alcohol bomb.

The review will be on NBS.

VABA, aoampm, ovaltine and 44 others like this.
  15. VABA

VABA Meyvn (1,222) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Happy Father's Day!

[​IMG]
    Cheers!

Pantalones, aoampm, ovaltine and 41 others like this.
  16. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,727) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I don't have a new beer on hand this morning, but I do have something special to kick off the day.

[​IMG]
    Funky Buddha Wide Awake It's Morning Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter

Someone should inform FB that at 9.5%, thick, creamy, and filled with adjuncts, this is clearly a stout. :stuck_out_tongue::wink::grinning: (Sarcasm thick enough?)

Cheers!

17. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (2,592) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

[​IMG] This is how we roll at York beach Maine. @lordofthewiens heading back to your watering hole mid afternoon, wow you are very lucky to live so close. Let's have a beer this summer Doc, York is our favorite now. Happy fathers all!

aoampm, ovaltine, jvgoor3786 and 37 others like this.
  18. AlexanderKnight

AlexanderKnight Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Kentucky

Got a growler Of Dogfish 90 and a sixer of Jai Alai to hang out with this Father's Day.

aoampm, MacMalt, dee4maine and 21 others like this.
  19. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,171) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Well yesterday was my birthday and I had the chance to split this very special bottle with my father. I was honestly a bit underwhelmed by the beer. It was good, but honestly not worth what it trades for.

aoampm, ovaltine, mmorris15 and 39 others like this.
  20. lordofthewiens

Let's do it!

mmorris15, TheIPAHunter and bbtkd like this.
  21. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,228) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Definitely no Wide Awake, but still pays the maple bill

22. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (460) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Taking my Dad out for a pint on Father's Day. It's folk week here apparently!

Magic Rock: Common Grounds

[​IMG]

Crawfish61, TooGood, aoampm and 51 others like this.
  23. WesMantooth

Beer Trader

Interesting. When I had it on tap last night it said 10.5%, and the listing has it at 10...???
    I first got to try it a couple months ago with @SomethingClever at a bottle share. The first thing that I noticed is how the bacon was significantly less noticeable than the original MBCP, and I thought the coffee seemed faint too, but it was a year old bottle. Last night I got the same amount of coffee though. Not sure if it is a fresh keg or one they have been sitting on. Still phenomenal though. Right behind CBS.
    Side note. They are doing crowler fills for $25:grimacing: Corrext me if I am wrong Floridians, but that isn't far off the bomber price is it? Also, I paid $15 for a 10oz pour:astonished: Should have poured my own back at the condo

24. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Crusader (796) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Subscriber

-hotel glassware, not even a tin cup available for Burial's Tin Cup Camp Stout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, Texasfan549, aoampm and 39 others like this.
  25. WesMantooth

Beer Trader

What a perfect time to kick off the festivities. Happy Fathbirthday Day!

26. VABA

27. RobDB

RobDB Devotee (469) Aug 31, 2009 New Jersey

Happy Father's Day. Enjoy the day.

[​IMG]

aoampm, jvgoor3786, ovaltine and 44 others like this.
  28. Roguer

Beer Trader

I want to say the bomber goes for around $20. They may still have some at Total Wine in Jax; it moves pretty slow.

I agree with the bacon observation, too; I get very little, if any, from Wide Awake. MBCP on the other hand, has a definite smokey and salty component to it (the one time I was fortunate enough to try it, anyway).

bbtkd, Reef, cbcrunch and 1 other person like this.
  29. VABA

That looks AWESOME! You are one lucky guy!

My wife made me some Brioche French Toast (which I had made for her on Mother's Day), they were delicious. It's been a great weekend so far, as I got to see Chano Dominguez (Jazz/Flamenco pianist), the final Eschenbach conducted concert here in DC (Beethoven's 9th! I had goose bumps throughout the performance! The man got a straight 15 minute standing ovation! Very well deserved in my opinion). Today will be going out to DC Jazz festival at The Yard (for nine hours, so I am making sure I properly hydrate! :grinning: I wouldn't mind if the Bad Brains showed up! :grinning:)

Hiwattowner, Reef, Lingenbrau and 4 others like this.
  30. utopiajane

Cheers you all! I was debating on if I could post this in NBS. Technically no but I had to review this beer again! Plus I am drinking it now. =)

A big part of BA is deciding whether to a review a beer again. I would say to review it again is one thing, but again and again is another. The best reason to do another review is if something is really different. You could be going on a memory and of course if you disliked the beer the first time . I love Jack's Abby. I even went there. I had a terrible bottle of their pilsner and now I have good 16 oz can. I think it's not the same and I would like to review it again. New beer Sunday is here.

This beer is the definition of crisp. It is only as cool as the water and that does not just mean temperature. I wonder if Jack's Abby treated the water for this beer? It's also a statement on the hops presence. The hops are just cool, just sweet with herbal. The malt is biscuity and dry. Light bubble with a light bite and it is malty to finish with a very delicate sense and again a crisp bitterness. Pepper is like white pepper and the spice is a tickle on the palate. Fresh floral, crisp with a sweet hop herbal that fades into bitterness. This was outstanding !
    [​IMG]

31. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,221) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Deep thought for the day: Aren't fathers, by extension, motherfuckers? :astonished:

All Orange Everything
    [​IMG]
    10.5% TIPA collab between Carton and Other Half... deets over in NBS... :wink:

Cheers...
    [​IMG]

#32 Greywulfken, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Bluecrow, aoampm, ovaltine and 46 others like this.
  32. EMH73

Do my kids get me or what? Cheers!
    [​IMG]

33. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,010) Jul 27, 2013 California

Happy Father's Day to all!

I got a painting from my daughter, and beer from my wife. Shaping up pretty good so far!

[​IMG]

Pantalones, Bluecrow, aoampm and 44 others like this.
  34. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,062) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

shorts citra locals
    [​IMG]

Bluecrow, aoampm, ovaltine and 34 others like this.
  35. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (2,592) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

36. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,454) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Somethings were just made to go together. Pancakes, bacon, and coffee stout. :wink:
    [​IMG]

ovaltine, mmorris15, MacMalt and 31 others like this.
  37. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (460) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Schofferhofer: Grapefruit

[​IMG]

38. Roguer

Beer Trader

A little lunch, a little guitar playing, and now a little beer.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

I've been busier than a cat burying shit on concrete.

aoampm, Bluecrow, Premo88 and 45 others like this.
  39. VABA

[​IMG]
    Cheers!

aoampm, Premo88, mmorris15 and 32 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.