What beer are you drinking now? #1863

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (21,872) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Sunday! Been a nice relaxing and indulgent weekend, but now it's time to get back to the daily grind again tomorrow. Made my usual holiday weekend beer haul, and ended up with 2 full cases of 12 ounce singles, all new beers. Amazing finds this weekend. Have a lot of bottles to return and laundry to catch up on later today. Going to be pretty busy.

Incredible again this year. Flavors of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, cream, nutmeg, chile pepper, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, and toasted dark/brown bread. Light roast/char/spice bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied; great creamy/silky mouthfeel, with some light sticky/chalky roast/spice notes. Lightly increasing bitter/spicy/roast/char dryness. Zero pepper heat. Balance is pretty much perfect between spices and stout flavors. Already grabbed 2 packs, but I will definitely get at least 1 more. Went through 3 packs of Mocha IPA this year. Also grabbed a bottle of Charred recently. Already reviewed it, but I feel it is worth the price to revisit.
    [​IMG]

Absolutely mind blowing stout! Flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, maple syrup, marshmallow, molasses, toffee, fudge, whiskey, toasted oak, coconut, dark bread, and light spicy rye/smoke. Light roast bitterness and rye whiskey/oak spice on the finish. Very full bodied creamy, silky, velvety, rich mouthfeel. Minimal chalky roast, oak tannin, or dryness. Insanely smooth, perfectly balanced barrel and malt complexity. Mildy warming finish, with zero booze. This is a masterpiece. Thicker, richer, and more complex than the regular Hipster; and even more aromatic, without any booziness as it warms up. I still love the regular Hipster Brunch, but this is a whole other level of amazing. I still have quite a few left over from the Feb release to distribution. Haven't tried one in over 6 months, but it is getting even better now too.
    [​IMG]

2017 is tasing amazing as usual. Flavors of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, nutty dark roasted coffee, caramel, molasses, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, toasted oak, coconut, and dark bread; hint of smoke. Aromas were pretty muted, but nice and balanced. Bittersweet roast and lightly spicy bourbon/oak tannin finish. Creamy, silky, velvety, rich full body; touch of chalky roast and tannic oak dryness. Mildly warming 11.8%, no barrel booze; though there is a bit in the aromas as it warms. Pretty much perfectly balanced between chocolate, coffee, malt, and barrel character. Glad I grabbed a lot this year. Was much easier to acquire than I remember previously.
    [​IMG]

Incredible stuff!! Super fresh. Aromas and flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, toasted dark bread, and light nutty/smoke/charred malts; with balanced grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, pine, and floral/grassy hops. Moderate roast/char and pine/grassy/spicy hop bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body. Great creamy/bready malt mouthfeel, fair amount of hop stickiness, and slight chalky roast. Lightly increasing bitter/roasted dryness. Never acrid/astringent. Just as amazing as I remember when I reviewed it 4+ years ago. This is basically a Black IPA at release right now, which is how I reviewed it. Balanced C hop character, with great well rounded American porter malt complexity. Will definitely be grabbing this one again before the season is over.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

VABA, beergorrilla, dcotom and 62 others like this.
  2. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (447) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

Xocoveza, just about a week short of a year on it. i actually prefer these with some fade on the "winter spices".

Cheers!

[​IMG]

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,403) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

While I was quite happy to find this, I gotta say it's not really for me. I'm just not sure how well suited DIPAs are for barrel aging. Do I really want vanilla bourbon notes in my hoppy, bitter, fruity beer? To be honest: nope! I think I'll stick to Stouts for barrel aging and continue to enjoy my DIPAs fresh and fruity.

4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,939) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Four days off, four breakfast beers.
    My first batch of bagels. I learned a lot.

[​IMG]

5. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,173) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Back from long walk with the dogs - coffee time:

I’m planning on going to a bottle share tonight, so I’ve got to try and pace myself today. Cheers!

6. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,547) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! I'm going to take a moment and catch up from my long weekend. But first, here's what I'm drinking now:

[​IMG]
    Bell's Arabicadabra coffee milk stout.

Thoughts over on New Beer Sunday (week 666!). Come join us! (Yes....join us....join us....)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with friends and family. I visited my family and in-laws (they live around the corner from one another, conveniently enough), and most importantly, spent a ton of quality time with my kids.

I also had a few beers ...... :flushed:

[​IMG]

My first Born Again Yesterday .... not just from this year, but period. Damn, I wish I had come across this earlier! We're just now getting this at Total Wine. Still, even with more than a month since bottling (and thank you, Tony, for finally putting a real date on these things!), it was tasty enough that I had to go for two.

[​IMG]

:stuck_out_tongue:

I refused to get caught up in the Bourbon County mania, but the wife and I went shopping on Black Friday morning, anyway .... and there was no line at Total Wine. Granted, a one bottle limit per person probably helped ensure there was enough to go around. I wasn't going to waste my time chasing this beer this year, but if I can just grab some while I'm already on the premises, that's another story.

[​IMG]

Shared the base stout with my wife and father-in-law (a former home brewer). More banana than I recall in previous years; really damn good. (Pictures of red and blue solo cups - the serving vessels of choice at their home - not included. I'm not trying to make anyone cry.)

A couple of fantastic brews yesterday, both new to me: my first Aslin (The Implication DIPA), and Mikeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Vanilla Shake was brewed in Norway, vice San Diego. Not sure how different the batches are. Both of these beers were wonderful.

Finally, I made one more stop on the way home, and enjoyed some fruits of that trip late last night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was surprised to find Sixpoint Barrel Aged 3Beans on the shelf; must have just re-released it. I was almost equally surprised to find out I've already reviewed it. My thoughts haven't changed: it's a good beer, but the barrel presence is minimal, and it lacks the heft of a really good BBA stout.

[​IMG]

My first 2017 Backwoods Bastard, and damned if this isn't tasting phenomenal as always. Just a wonderful way to end the evening.

Cheers, BAs!

7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,332) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good morning, all! Diabolical, from North Peak Brewing, Traverse City, TSUN. 6.66% ABV, 66.6 IBU.

[​IMG]

3.57/5 rDev -3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5
    Review on NBS.

8. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,163) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] This stuff is fantastic! Wow

9. El_Brujo_de_A2

El_Brujo_de_A2 Initiate (181) Nov 15, 2016 Michigan

Taking it slow and easy this Sunday morning.Cheers!
    [​IMG]

10. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,724) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

11. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,289) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana

I enjoyed that beer.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  12. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,289) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana

[​IMG]
    A taste challenge!

13. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,198) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Enjoying this (cross posted) NBS #666 week offering from our Nordic friends
    Gotta go pour some concrete at my brothers place soon, so some dark force is in order
    Cheers all

jkblr, Brolo75, Jaywalsh20 and 37 others like this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,084) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Cheers to you all on this fine, beautiful blue-sky Sunday here in Chicago. Been drinking a lot of 18th street stuff... including a bunch of this pale ale.
    [​IMG]

jkblr, Brolo75, Jaywalsh20 and 36 others like this.
  15. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    Beer #1000 for me. It took 3.5 years and im here.

Finback Noise
    Grisette with tea and lemon.

Cheers.

16. VABA

17. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,163) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] One more Mexican Coffee Stout.

18. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Hop skewer, barntown brewing
    This place is becoming a must hit in Des Moines.

jkblr, Brolo75, Hiwattowner and 30 others like this.
  19. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (819) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning BA's and greetings from Stellaluna the holiday kitty

[​IMG]

one of my fav pumpkin brews

[​IMG]

cheers!

[​IMG]

mikeinportc, jkblr, Brolo75 and 37 others like this.
  20. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,755) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Starting today just like yesterday...
    [​IMG]
    'Cept now there ain't another can o' this anymore...

I Hate Myself IPA...

Only one game between winning teams today, BA - Saints at Rams...
    [​IMG]
    Not that it's the only good game, mind you - I'm looking forward to some teams establishing their dominance or failing miserably versus "inferior" opponents, too... lol

Still gettin' the Led out...

Cheers...

yossle, jkblr, Brolo75 and 43 others like this.
  21. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (621) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

22. beermanben

beermanben Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

23. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Oh the humanity!

24. VABA

Finishing up the bottle.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

beergorrilla, jkblr, Brolo75 and 34 others like this.
  25. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,650) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning, BAs! Pretty sure I gained 5 pounds this weekend. Show me someone who loses weight this weekend and I'll show you a damn dirty liar.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks @vabeerguy for this! I hope we can trade again, because I love everything you send me.

jkblr, Brolo75, PuppyClawz and 39 others like this.
  26. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,650) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

One of these things is not like the others...:wink:

27. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,222) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Have two of the cousins over, so having to supervise four kids by myself while my wife plays the music at mass today calls for a beer. Probably a couple shots too.
    [​IMG]

28. EMH73

Society Trader

Strawberry Milkshake from Kindred Spirit courtesy of @vabeerguy. Thanks brother, cheers!

[​IMG]

jkblr, Brolo75, tolar111 and 30 others like this.
  29. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,547) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Thought about going out today and getting some work done. The lovely weather inspired me to do the exact opposite: stay in and enjoy the day.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

jkblr, Brolo75, PuppyClawz and 42 others like this.
  30. VABA

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

31. brewnme

brewnme Devotee (480) Feb 21, 2017 Maine
    Society

Starting the day with Samuel Smith's real English open air fermented India Ale. Very Good![​IMG]

32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,755) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Wolftime...

With three types of salmon!
    [​IMG]

Cheers...

#32 Greywulfken, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  33. EMH73

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Reverse from Barrier, sharing with my son. Cheers!

34. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Moving on to Friendly Aviator Pilsner after my satanic NBS entry.

VABA, jkblr, Brolo75 and 35 others like this.
  35. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Champion (826) Nov 16, 2007 New York
    Society

My son's girlfriend's mother brought these traditional arrangements over on Thanksgiving day - we love 'em -
    [​IMG]
    this guy doesn't really care...
    [​IMG]
    currently grooving to this on TCM ...

36. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,400) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Not a massive hop bomb but pretty good[​IMG]

37. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Savant (929) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society

A little lunch on the pool deck with the wife....
    [​IMG]
    Hope y'all have a great Sunday and your teams win!
    [​IMG]

38. T-RO

T-RO Devotee (409) Nov 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Ribs and a red ale w/ginger from Denver called "Damn, it feels good to be a ginger"
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

39. Reef

Reef Crusader (713) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

I'm waiting for my flight out of Providence after a week of visiting my Massachusetts kinfolk. The only problem I have with the Providence airport is the monopoly that Shipyard has on craft beer.
    [​IMG]
    So they throw me a curve and brew Finder, a decent IPA on tap. Looks good, nice citrusy aroma, tastes great. I'm enjoying this visit!
    Listening to my kind of gospel.

40. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (140) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

A delicious beer to drink while working on my second homebrew, a Mosaic IPA.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.