What beer are you drinking now? #1863

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,456) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Beer #2. A $2 beer than everyone else can get for sub-$1.50. :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]

2. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (2,746) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Pilsners, Lagers, + Dunkels… All new in Nov 2017, sort by preference.

Cricket's Nocturne | Cricket Hill
    4.1/5 rDev +10.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    Appearance: Opaque beautiful blackish-brown in color with a 1" tan head that laces extremely nicely, and has large bubbles. Beautiful color, as good as they come in black lager.
    Smell: the mild malt sweetness is pleasant, appealing, inviting. Roasty, but not over powering. A winter beer.
    Taste: Of course malt, but subtle. Less cloying than brown ales, with some herb, earth, chocolate, grass, and hint of bread. Bitterness moderate, fresh tasting, and with nice sweet-bitter-earthy balance. A great session beer. Approachable, will be great with food, tonight shrimp cocktail and sphagetti with meatballs. Stands up to any foods. A great seafood dinner or roast beer. Also great with cheese.

Mouthfeel: medium-to-full bodied, a little creamy. Crisp, sessionable, satisfying. Aftertaste short-lived. Leaves one in a good earthy not too sweet place.

Overall: this is a drinkable dark lager that can be a session beer. Great NJ Brew! worth trying out. I will definitely get more. If I am to drink dark lager, this would be near the top of my list. I could see drinking this and surprising my friends with it.
    Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier | Brauerei Heller-Trum
    4.1/5 rDev +3.5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    Amazing to find a beer that's so different and original: it earns high marks on the first go.
    A) pours a clear, dark pale golden body, with a thin cap that films and laces a few dots.
    S) Pleasant fall damp air tinged with campfire smoke. Plus pale malt, honey lathered on crackers, and floral hops.
    T) Follows smell, with MORE smoke, as in smoked salmon or bacon, honey, on malt and white crackers, and landing in a fall flower bed mixed with fallen, earthy damp leaves and forest floor. Delicious and complex, perfect with raw oysters.
    F) Feel is soft, medium weight, smooth, finishing off-dry, and with lingering resonance.
    O) My first experience of a great smoke in beer. Must try. Must try them all now!
    Dunkel Jesse And The Rippers | Cambridge
    4/5 rDev +2.5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    Session Dunkel.
    1) Color of pumpernickel bread, low head and fizz, a streak of lace. Cola, ruby,
    2) Bread and perfume, sweet, but balanced.
    3) Best dunkel ever, thick black bread in liquid form, juicy, malty, very pleasant upward finish. Sweet grain while clean. Fresh.
    4) Feels mid-bodied, low carb, like all their brews, and finished clean - great food beer.
    Prima Pils | Victory
    4/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    The reviewers are unanimous, this may be the best-in-class American Pilsner. I'd like to taste it blind vs other top pils like Oskar, Urquell, etc.
    Victory is a top east coast brewery, consistent, clean, and surprising without wobbly out of balance brews. Bravo! You must try them!
    A: Poured into pint glass, luscious white head, faded fast not much, but a little dotty lacing, the tiny bubbles I recall from my Dad's first beers when I was a kid rising in a tall glass.
    S: Hops and citrus, but so much more subtle than our hoppier beers. Perfume, lemon, grass, herbs. Crisp, floral, "the smell of a woman in the sunshine".
    Taste: Very appetizing and dry. Starts refreshing fresh bread crust; grows into a tingle of hoppy bitterness with grassy and herbal over tones, finally a super crisp, clean finish. Lovely arc, lovely appetizer and with food: Oysters, clams, sausage, brats, fish, crabs.
    Mouthfeel: Light bodied with lots of carbonation, but that oh so subtle pilsner tingle and finish, light and airy and summery, also a kissing kind of beer. Your mouth just feels good all over.
    Drinkability: So far my favorite of the style.
    Polestar Pilsner | Left Hand
    3.9/5 rDev +7.1%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
    I am a left hand fan. This pilsner is as good as any.
    A: Dense white head atop a pale brass body, with pin point carbonation and a bit of lace.
    S: Smell is the weakest link here. Grass, white biscuit malt, flowers, and bit of skunk.
    T: Lovely. Could drink this all night. Authentic, lovely hop and sweet citric, grassy profile. Light and tingly refreshing finish.
    MF: Lovely body and finish, good weight, leaves you in a great refreshing place, Great Food BEER!
    As good as pilsner gets.
    This Town | Carton
    3.9/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    This beer This Town is unretired because I bought a 6 at the brewer which pictures the new First Ave brewery on the can.
    I enjoyed its early incarnation 3 years ago when Augie spoke at our TEDxAsburyPark conference (next on May 19, 2018 on Passion at Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park).
    a) Fogged straw color body with rising tiny bubbles that build a puffy dense, lasting and lacing white head in a pilsner glass.
    s) As it should be, grassy, hay, sun-baked straw, mown grass, over a white cracker base.
    t) As the smell, but more EURO - reminding me of Luxembourg and French light lagers, which have a bit of adjunct funk that bring them down a notch. Saved by peppery, scrubbing finish.
    f) Thin, light, bright, with clean crisp finish. Light beer.
    o) Grass-cutting beer for sure. Not sure I need to pay craft price for it, but noble effort.

jkblr, superspak, Brolo75 and 27 others like this.
  3. brewnme

brewnme Devotee (480) Feb 21, 2017 Maine
    Society

On to the 2nd of the Samuel Smith gift pack from the U.K. now for the Organic Chocolate Stout. Not bad at all.[​IMG]

4. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,166) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

VABA, jkblr, Brolo75 and 35 others like this.
  5. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Zealot (506) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

This is a great beer. In it’s own way, separate from NEIPAs and west coast hop bombs...it is just a wonderful, flavorful IPA made with organic, homegrown ingredients. I look forward to it every year.

6. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,519) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Really liking this Baltic Porter from Tired Hands. Cheers!

[​IMG]
    Thanks @CharacterZero!

7. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,868) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Morning!

Titan IPA from Great Divide out of Denver.

[​IMG]

and GO BEARS!!
    Time for an upset!

8. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (140) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Granite Roots Brewing - "Gose Well With Hiking"

I'm generally not a gose guy, but one of my co-workers brought this back from a daytrip in New Hampshire and brought me a bottle. I have to say, this is a damn delicious Gose. It's brewed with local black currants and blueberries. It definitely has a bit of the black currant upfront, but the back end is all blueberry. Tart, a little bit of salt, and delicious. I could drink this all summer.

[​IMG]

9. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,970) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

10. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,265) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Backwoods Bastard on tap waiting for my lunch at the bar!

11. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

12. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Jesus, that's the Eye of Sauron looking back at you! Speaking of NBS....:scream:

13. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,794) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

14. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (447) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

storm rolling in now. hit the cabinet for something a bit more, warming.

[​IMG]
    sort of like i saw Rouger mention, yesterday we went to the son's favorite deep-dish pizza joint. afterwards, stopped at the grocery store on the way home &, well, i couldn't pass these by. being on my best behavior, only took 1 of each of these - left the Barleywine behind. hand't planned on buying anything until tomorrow. [​IMG]

beergorrilla, jkblr, Brolo75 and 45 others like this.
  15. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (530) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Beer field trip to Richmond yesterday for the Hardywood Apple Brandy GBS release:

Hardywood (I got bottles... but lets try them on draft):
    Apple Brandy GBS
    Rum Barrel GBS

Isley (I need IPA chasers after all the stouts):
    Tricky Gilbert Black IPA
    Charlie's Barley IPA

Brolo75, mickyge, Reef and 15 others like this.
  16. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,440) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

End of work beer.I thought this was really good[​IMG]

17. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Meyvn (1,440) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Bottle share with my Wife and Brother in Law in the honor of my incredible Grandfather in Law "Coke" who is with our savior. We lost him Friday. As old school and stubborn as they come. Cracked open a Doom. 2016 Bcbs next.

mikeinportc, jkblr, Brolo75 and 20 others like this.
  18. beermanben

beermanben Disciple (342) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,030) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

20. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,265) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

At The Wheelhouse having a burger. The owner just turned me onto my first Heady Topper!

Cheers!

21. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,017) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

22. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,420) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

What wild weather we're having at the end of November here in NE Ohio. This is quite a boozy, hot stout. Says it's only 10% but has similar flavor profile of a Bruery stout.

[​IMG]

23. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,695) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Millersburg - Nut House Peanut Butter Porter (can).. cheers!

jkblr, Brolo75, tolar111 and 22 others like this.
  24. Doug537

Doug537 Initiate (188) Apr 24, 2013 Colorado

25. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,313) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, advocates. Football & IPA. Cheers.
    [​IMG]

26. Bruno74200

Bruno74200 Poo-Bah (2,692) Aug 23, 2015 France
    Society

[​IMG]

Good sunday to you all!

27. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (4,539) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

[​IMG]

Haven't had a beer (or proper food) for three weeks, but I will have a couple tonight while listening to some BandCamp purchases.

jkblr, Brolo75, tolar111 and 30 others like this.
  28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,549) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

More beer, fish, and football...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,524) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Good stuff, hanging with my buddy.

30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Still working on these . . .

[​IMG]

Very attractive deep gold color with white cap and lace.

Aroma of of floral, piney hops with a touch of citrus on a base of rich, slightly bready malt.

Taste on entry is is a goodly measure of malt with hops following so quickly they almost seem to arrive together. Almost, but not quite with malt by a nose. Brewer describes a "less than aggressive hop flavor provided by All American Cascade hops". I'll go along with that, the hop flavor is fully present without being assertive with malt carrying everything along into the aftertaste. Simple enough flavors yet woven together with complexity. Based on aroma, color and flavor I suspect some Pilsner malt is being used but that hasn't been confirmed.

mikeinportc, jkblr, Brolo75 and 28 others like this.
  31. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Meyvn (1,440) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

32. aclockworkchris

aclockworkchris Initiate (134) Sep 17, 2017 Michigan

Zombie Dust, so smooth! The best IPA/APA that isn’t a juice bomb!

33. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Everything ok? Hope all is well!

GreenBayBA and JamFuel like this.
  34. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,601) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Going to be a Bill Evan's afternoon for me, along with St Berdardus Christmas Ale...This will be a good last day before work again :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. JamFuel

Moderator Society

Oh yeah, just felt like I had been lazy and unhealthy for too long, so went on a strict low calorie diet to get kickstarted and get rid of my sweet tooth. Have lost almost 20 lbs, so figured I could have a treat. :slight_smile:

jkblr, laketang, GreenBayBA and 6 others like this.
  36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,290) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada Trip In The Woods Cocoa Coconut Narwhal, 11.8% ABV, 50 IBU. Pours black with a 1+ finger tan head. Nose is predictably cocoa, coconut, coffee, and bourbon. Taste mostly follows, with bourbon leading, a bit of sweetness, and a mild bitter close. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding.

[​IMG]

37. Psilo

Psilo Aspirant (276) Jul 11, 2017 California
    Society

Getting in the NBS spirit

[​IMG]

38. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,420) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This is probably a really stupid move, because I wanted to open a Prop after the old lady got off work tonight, but I just had to compare the above Interboro Tonight At Noon stout to this Hoppin Frog BA Gavel Slammer, which is outwardly a 17.4% barrel aged beer, while the Interboro stout above is not aged, and is supposedly only 10%. The Interboro was awful, tasting more like gin than beer, which is absolutely dumbfounding, and also disappointing because I've had two IPAs by them that were outstanding. The Hoppin Frog is also a little too hot for my liking, but so obviously expertly crafted, especially next to the Interboro, that it's no contest.

[​IMG]

Make no mistake, only a certain breed of drinker will thoroughly enjoy the BA Gavel Slammer (hardcore Bruery fans, for example), but it's a damn fine example of how to tackle the extremes, if you're going to succeed at all. Considering they've only just been allowed to sell over 12% beer here in Ohio, that's doubly impressive.

39. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

That's awesome dude. I feel like I've gained 20 pounds the past few weeks. Thanksgiving here is god damn dangerous.

40. JamFuel

Moderator Society

Thanksgiving is one of the few American days we haven't copied over here, and hopefully we never will. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.