What beer are you drinking now? #2003

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (21,003) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Sunday! Still been raining pretty hardcore all weekend, just got some freezing rain this morning. Hopefully it's not too bad out there. I've got some errands to run as usual.

This is mind blowing stuff. Flavors of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, fudge brownie, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, coconut, toasted oak, and dark bread; with lighter notes of raisin, prune, date, licorice, tobacco, soy sauce, smoke, and char. Moderate roast/char bitterness and bourbon/oak spice on the finish. Huge full body; balanced creamy/silky/slick, sticky/chalky roast, and tannic mouthfeel. Drying finish from tannic bourbon/oak and chalky roast malts. Fairly warming, not too boozy finish. Very smooth. I am amazed at the amount of complexity that is opening up as it reaches room temperature. Enormous barrel presence, but also a ton of malt to back it up; so it doesn't become too dry, tannic, and boozy on the bourbon notes. One of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. Tweak is my favorite from Avery and in my top 15 reviews, but this is still in the top 50 of all beers I've had.
    [​IMG]

This is still tasting delicious. Big flavors of juicy mango, peach, apricot, pear, pineapple, honey, bread, and herbal/earthy habenero peppers. Light-moderate pepper spice on the finish, that builds through the glass along with heat; but neither becomes too overwhelming. Full-ish bodied with a slick and lightly syrupy mouthfeel as expected; but has zero cloying sweetness. Will grab another one if I see it, they have been shelf sitters from 2016. Nothing mind blowing, but delivers exactly what you would expect in the flavors. Very well balanced between fruit and malt sweetness; habenero being light at first, but building up through the glass and drying the sweetness. I always love pepper beers. This batch is a bit better than I recall the original release in 2013, less intense on the habanero peppers than I remember. A lot of people don’t like this, but I love it just for it's uniqueness as a beer.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (803) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

This is kind of an odd one, an American IPA brewed with German noble hops (Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Magnum) and Citra. It's not terrible, but it doesn't work very well either.

3. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (682) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning BA's

Looks like a rainy day in store today.....yesterday was nice, until late afternoon

[​IMG]

trout derby with my gf's son Saturday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers! enjoy your Sunday!

[​IMG]

4. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,172) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] So when I met up with Doc @lordofthewiens I had asked months ago to put a beer aside for me if you could spare it. Well he didn’t forget and this stuff is insanely roasty and really exactly what I was hoping it to be. Thanks very much for this beer and for buying me lunch! I really enjoyed spending a few hours with a true BA!

5. elohim

elohim Initiate (147) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

[​IMG]

Only one thing to drink on a Sunday morning

6. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Zealot (586) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

7. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,223) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    This is the only 14er I’ve bagged in my hiking career. One of these days I’ll get the real thing.

8. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Crusader (760) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @DoctorZombies provided the perfect beer for me to drink right now. Sunday, from Cycle Brewing.

9. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,798) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    Oh well, so much for the lovely Spring weather! I had a feeling it wouldn't last.

10. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,619) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Should've attempted Pikes Peak when I lived there ( was in much better shape then ). Now it is probably a pipedream for me.

11. ygolordned

ygolordned Aspirant (255) Apr 7, 2013 Michigan

breakfast champion

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,450) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I woke up with the intent to install my new JBR shifter knob, but now I'm recalculating due to how cold it is out there. I'd actually have to put on pants and a jacket. Yikes. So I've opted to research the installation guide, and line-up my tools while enjoying a dark beverage. Although some would consider our Missouri weather this year horrible, I like that it keeps flipping between weather ideal for IPAs and then stouts, sometimes day to day. Gives me plenty opportunity to clear out both sections of my fridge.

Today's a stout day. The bottle I'm enjoying now landed via @ONUMello in the BIF. May enjoy another or two of his beers later too.

[​IMG]

Jackie O's Dark Apparition.

13. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Devotee (474) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Premium

That's awesome time spent with the boy! My dad started me fishing and tying my own flies at about that age when we lived in Michigan.

BeerVikingSailor and GreenBayBA like this.
  14. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

15. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Zealot (506) Nov 16, 2007 New York

took a trip up to Beacon to catch up with my oldest son last night - we hit up the Hudson Valley Brewery on the way out and had a couple of short pours of their milk sugar/lactose brewed, fruit infused beers - good stuff !
    but now, back to basics....
    [​IMG]

and RIP Milos Forman...

16. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (21,003) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Fantastic IPA! Aromas and flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate caramel, toasted bread malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced creamy/bready malts and sticky/resinous hops in the moufeel. Moderate increasing bitter/resin dryness, no hop astringency. Extremely drinkable, never overly aggressive. Outstanding juicy and fairy dank hop complexity; nice bready Munich malt backbone, with no residual sweetness. Classic Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Ahtanum, and Amarillo hop bill. I'll be drinking way more than this 6 pack in the future, that's for sure.
    [​IMG]

This is awesome. Great head retention/lacing for a sour. Aromas and flavors of big lightly tart lemon, lime, peach, plum, cherry, berry, pear, apricot, red/green apple, red/white wine, hay, straw, grass, pepper, toasted oak, and oaken vanilla; with moderate honey, brown sugar, brown bread, biscuity malts; light notes of nuttiness, caramel, leathery/musty funk, white wine vinegar, and yeast earthiness. Light Brett tartness and yeast/oak spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; creamy/bready malts, some acidity/tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing acidic/spicy/tannic dryness, no pucker/astringency. Super drinkable, never overly acidic. Pretty refreshing. Was extremely impressed with this. The Brett complexity is really well developed; and it has perfect balance with bready malts, with a ton of red wine barrel presence. They really did a damn good job on this one. More of a Flanders red than a saison overall. Will grab again while it's available.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

17. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,127) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

18. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,172) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] A huge shout out and thanks to @GreenBayBA for this insanely tasty and complex Stout. I have a package arriving tomorrow from @jzeilinger beer life is great!

19. benros222

benros222 Initiate (69) Apr 1, 2018 Kansas

[​IMG]
    I'll be drinking on this shortly. Spring day in Texas!

20. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

21. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (76) Mar 10, 2018 New York

My band has a performance this afternoon, so I needs to stay sharp and in good condition to drive my ass to the theatre... and to play my best, of course. But for what it's worth, this is one damn good tea ! And it seems to me that it is outselling all of the Pure Leaf fruit-flavored and/or sweetened varieties.

(I might bring a can or two of session IPA to the gig, and when we're ready to play, pour one into my travel coffee mug to take on stage with me. That's a trick I learned from my Dad, who used to play his banjo at churches, coffeehouses, etc., where alkyhol was not really encouraged )

[​IMG]

22. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (76) Mar 10, 2018 New York

Dr. Z is the man !
    [​IMG]

23. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,569) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning, BAs! Still standing after yesterdays all-day session. Need to take it easier today. Logically then, I’m starting with an 11% TIPA. :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    (Lush Life - Tired Hands)

24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,889) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Goooood morning! It's breffus tiiiiiiiiiime!

[​IMG]

25. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (542) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

Last day off and I just returned from dropping the fiancée off at work. So I'm going big this morning. Picked this up yesterday for about $15 and considering the size of the bottle I was hesitant.

But this is a boozy, in your face stout. Reminds me of Parabola with the roastiness. Intense fudge but not too sweet, medium bodied.

Scofflaw - Coco Absentium
    13.9%. Bottled 12/9/17
    [​IMG]

Cheers

26. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,411) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Another beautiful spring day in Maine, with a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. At least we're not getting the amount of snow @GreenBayBA and others got.

[​IMG]

27. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (674) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

Back on Rocky Mountain standard time, with a RMST beer. Cheers! Salud!
    [​IMG]
    Didn't get around to most of the breweries in NOLA, though I did get to try the NOLA Hopitoulas IPA which I thought was solid, like a slightly heftier Daisy Cutter. Crescent City brewing, however, left a lot to be desired (across the board); just meh all around. Hope to get back some day to try some of the smaller places, too.

28. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,411) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Heading to New Mexico next week. Can't wait to get reacquainted with Elevated.

29. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (674) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

Yeah, Cumbre really has changed quite a bit (much bigger, depending on when you were last there) and some of their latest stuff (I think) is much more impressive. You'll have a great time exploring them, Bosque, Canteen, Bow&Arrow, etc... so many new places there. But others from NM will have further thoughts on all this. ENJOY!

lordofthewiens likes this.
  30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,947) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Dark brownish black color with tan cap and good lacing.

Aroma of dark caramel and toffee with a brightness in the background that I ascribe to hops.

Flavor is rich, almost meaty, roasted malt that smells sweet but drinks dry. Some layers here with elements of ripe dark stone fruit and figs, a touch of cocoa and coffee, yet hops are present from the start and balance the malt nicely. There's almost a lightness, a lifting up so to speak, from the hop influence (35 IBU) that prevents the whole from becoming heavy yet the overall flavor is full. Complex yet the gears mesh together and the result is refreshing. Don't taste or scent alcohol (8%) but do notice it's effect.

31. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,229) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Good Morning BA

Weather went from gorgeous to shite. Luckily I am heading down to sunny Austin, Texas.

Luck of the draw with Terminal C at Newark Airport, which has a good beer selection. Starting my morning off with a Kane Head High.

32. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,229) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Spaceballs The Beer. May the Schwartz(bier) be with you.

33. Danmullens1

Danmullens1 Defender (641) Mar 24, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Morning, BAs! A rare Sunday morning home for me. Forgoing the normal cup of joe with a Bomb!
    [​IMG]

34. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (829) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Happy sunday everyone, lost Abbey serpent stout[​IMG]

35. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Disciple (315) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Staff Magician. A New England style Pale Ale from Mikkeller San Diego.
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

36. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,223) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've only summited one mountain, and it was just over 11,000 feet. Was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done and the view was awesome, cannot imagine how cool it is to be 3,000 feet higher.

37. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,061) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Last night, trial by combat...
    [​IMG]
    Great fight between Poirier and Gaethje - full fight in 4 parts here...

Today, Trial By Wombat...
    [​IMG]
    Trillium-esque IPA from Thin Man Brewery in Buffalo, NY...

My breakfast of champions...
    [​IMG]
    --> pastrami-style salmon on toast... (tall glass of water not shown :wink:)

Gotta go to my 4-year old niece's birthday party later, dammit... *groans*

Counting on some good food at least - no good beer likely, but maybe good liquor?

We'll see...

Cheers...

38. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (408) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Lickinghole Creek Something Royal New England IPA... the murk is strong in this one

39. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Disciple (364) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

Very nice complexity to this one - there's nothing like opening up a small batched brew.
    [​IMG]

40. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (682) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Thanks! I bought him a rod / reel combo set for Christmas 2016, and he seems to be getting into it more this spring....want to take him camping and fly fishing at the Clear Fork (Mohican) sometime soon too! Cheers

Ocalafox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.