What Beer Are You Drinking Now? #2038

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by superspak, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good morning BA, have a great Sunday! Not much going on, another normal Sunday with bottle returns, laundry, and a grocery run later on.

BBA Plow Horse. This is tasting amazing this year as usual. Aromas and flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, coconut, toasted oak, and dark bread; with light notes of molasses, raisin, cherry, smoke, and peppery yeast. Very slight touch of booze in the aromas as it warms. Light roast bitterness and yeast/oak tannin spice on the finish. Very full bodied and medium carbonation; with an very creamy, silky, velvety rich mouthfeel; light chalky roast, oak tannins, and drying. Very smooth, mildly warming 12%, minimal barrel booze. Not quite as silky smooth as last year's batch, but definitely glad I got a bunch of packs along with Wizard Burial Ground as always.
    [​IMG]

This is amazing! Aromas and flavors of huge caramel, brown sugar, raisin, plum, fig, red apple, cherry, orange zest, toffee, vanilla, coconut, rye whiskey, toasted oak, brown bread, and nuts. Light herbal hop and rye whiskey/oak spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; creamy/slick malts, some sticky hops and whiskey/oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing sticky hop, spicy rye, oak tannin dryness. Mildly warming 12%, no barrel booze. Just as amazing as I remember from when I first reviewed it. Glad these are in 4 packs now, still plenty on the shelf too. Perfect rye barrel integration with what I would classify as a rye malt English barleywine overall.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. Lazhal

Lazhal Pooh-Bah (1,866) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well BAs, yesterday I mowed the lawn, replaced the bathroom sink, did the grocery shopping and took my daughter to her soccer game.

So today, I'm starting the day off differently.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

3. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (0) May 9, 2018 New York

Breakfast with Jesus, cheers and have a blessed Sunday
    [​IMG]

4. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Grand Pooh-Bah (5,083) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Evil Genius - Purple Monkey Dishwasher

[​IMG]

5. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Early rise on this cloudy day in Long Island...

*Bean* me up, Scotty... :wink: lol
    [​IMG]
    James Bean, BBA coffee-infused BSPA from Allagash...

Cheers...

6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG] Nice to see Mr. @Greywulfken coming in early for once. Many of you don’t much about beer, but this guy can stand up with all of the great BA Coffee beer. Roasty, oaked Vanilla, with a subtle kiss of bourbon in the finish.

7. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This is my favorite beer to have for breakfast.

8. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Awesome IPA. Fantastic head retention and thick lasting lacing on the glass. Aromas anf flavors of big tangerine, grapefruit, lemon, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, melon, berry, citrus peel/rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate toasted bread, light honey/caramel malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; balanced creamy/bready malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Slight resins/rinds, increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Extremely drinkable, never aggressive, 7.2%. Wonderful Simcoe hop showcase. Perfectly balanced juicy and dank hop complexity; nice bready malt backbone, but not overly sweet/heavy. Grabbed a 4 pack after my initial review. Need to get some regular Norm's again soon. Also a great beer.
    [​IMG]

Awesome quad. Aromas and flavors of big raisin, plum, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, red apple, red grape, pepper, clove, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, toasted oak, and brown bread; with lighter notes of banana, coconut, molasses, herbal, leather, tobacco, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate peppery yeast and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus bodied; balanced creamy/bready/grainy malts, sticky hops, and bourbon/oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Slightly silky, slick, and syrupy. Light-moderate increasing spicy/tannic oak dryness; no cloying/astringency. Dangerously smooth sipper, mildly increasing warmth of 11.9%, zero barrel booze. Very well rounded fruity/spicy yeast complexity, great malt/candi sugar balance; amazing barrel integration as usual with CW. Never boozy or overly tannic. Very well attenuated, not too sweet for the ABV. Will definitely get again. Spot on style example.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

9. TheGent

TheGent Grand Pooh-Bah (4,201) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yet another day of gloomy and cold weather here in Northern NJ. A gardening fair at noon with one of our neighbors and their kids. Then a 2 year old birthday party for our other neighbors later this afternoon.

Currently no precipitation. Hopefully it stays that way.

Last one of these locally made coffee milk stouts aged in rye barrels.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,017) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Absolutely fantastic stuff, Cloudwater really is in a league of their own. I'd take this over Haze any day.

#10 Snowcrash000, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  11. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Something bright and tasty on this beautiful sun lit morning . . .

[​IMG]

Flavor on entry is not as tart as I expected, more a restrained tartness, followed by a mild white bread, biscuit taste that is nicely counterpointed by a slightly sweet yet mildly sharp tangerine essence.

A good deal more drinkable than I expected, this one is far less tart and sour than it's sibling versions flavored with pineapple or mango. Tart enough to notice that first and just sour enough to make things interesting. Very summer time and relaxing, something that reminds you of an afternoon on the beach though you may be many miles away.

12. TheGardenGuy

TheGardenGuy Initiate (0) May 19, 2018

Space Bloody Orange Cider, its a great breakfast/morning beer[​IMG]

13. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

14. TheGardenGuy

TheGardenGuy Initiate (0) May 19, 2018

Isnt it like 4 Am in Kansas right now?

mickyge and Socialillness like this.
  15. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Maven (1,436) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Finished up the last of 2016 BA Darkness from last night and am now following up with SMS. It's not only National Beer Week, but it's Lincoln Beer Week for us here in NE! Cheers!

16. eppCOS

eppCOS Grand Pooh-Bah (4,236) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Last of these OB Hotboxes in my current fridge stash. Almost there. Only one cold must-drink beer left to finish later today. The rest is in cellar, and ready for the break. Tomorrow is a travel day, so no beer, and I'm out for a good 3 week vacation away from all screens. Keep up the good work, WBAYDNers! cheers...as always.
    [​IMG]

17. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,825) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I'd agree - drinking this is somewhat better than replacing a sink.

18. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,825) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good late morning US BAs and good mid-afternoon of our Euro-brethern! Today's cross-post with NBS and New Breakfast beer is :

OK - an average-tasting but overpriced BA farmhouse/wild ale.

19. mschrei

mschrei Grand Pooh-Bah (4,983) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

20. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Shout out to my dog who hustled my kids for their pancakes this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.