What beer are you drinking now? #2157

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (22,732) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Still tasting fantastic. Aromas and flavors of huge mango, melon, peach, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, guava, berry, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, and pine hops; with moderate honey and spicy rye bread malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hops earthiness. Good sized pine, citrus rind, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-plus bodied with balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resin/rindy hops in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing resin/rind dryness, minimal hop astringency. Very mildly warming ABV, dangerously smooth. Insane dankness across the board. This is basically just imperial Born Yesterday IMO, very similar if not the same hops. Ekuanot, Galaxy, Simcoe, and Mosaic was the first batch, probably similar here. This has all of the same dankness at a much higher ABV, while remaining well attenuated and not overly sweet for over 11.3%. Mosaic and Ekuanot are my favorite hops.
    [​IMG]

Mind blowing as usual. Aromas and flavors of huge nutty dark roasted coffee, milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, marshmallow, fudge, vanilla, bourbon, coconut, toasted oak, and dark bread; with lighter notes of smoke, char, molasses, raisin, and cherries. Light roast/char bitterness and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, silky, velvety, and rich mouthfeel. Some chalky roast and oak tannins. Lightly increasing bitter/char and tannic oak dryness. Never acrid or astringent. Insanely smooth, mildly increasing warming 16%, zero barrel booze. This one entered my top 15 when I reviewed it. Perfect barrel integration, with balanced fruity/nutty coffee and rich malt complexity. I find it interesting how they retired Mephistopheles, yet they still need to brew that beer in order to create this one. I can't complain though, will keep this around a lot as with Uncle Jacobs. Definitely the best coffee stout I've ever had.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

This band never gets old.

2. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (157) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

3. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,313) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Good morning BAs, this stuff is super juicy. 7.4% and loaded with tropical papaya and mandarin orange. Cheers all.

MacMalt, TrojanRB, brewskis and 29 others like this.
  4. superspak

Premium Trader

Fantastic pumpkin ale as usual this year. Glad for the cans now. Aromas and flavors of big caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, clove, biscuit, bourbon, toasted oak, and herbal/spice earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/spice bitterness and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; balanced creamy/bready malts, sticky spice, and oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing spicy/tannic dryness. No astringency. Very smooth sipping. Minimal warming 9%, no barrel booze. Perfectly balanced malts, pumpkin, spices, and barrel integration. Feels a tad thinner than I remember in previous years, but no complaints otherwise. Will always buy their BBA 4 packs now.
    [​IMG]

Omnipollo Zodiak Multiverse NEDIPA. This was fantastic! Aromas and flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, orange juice, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, gooseberry, citrus peel/zest, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate wheat, biscuit dough, light honeyed malt sweetness; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Very mild pine, zesty, herbal, floral, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; very creamy/silky/bready/grainy malts and light sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter dryness. No hop astringency. Amazingly smooth/soft finish, minimal warming 8%. Assuming this is just imperial Zodiak. Simcoe, Citra, Centennial hops. Insanely juicy and lightly dank/earthy hop complexity; perfect wheat/oat/malt backbone, not overly sweet/heavy from lingering dryness. Stellar stuff for the style, would get another pack for sure. Should revisit the base beer again.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

5. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Crusader (796) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    It is going to be gorgeous day to watch A.A. Ron Rodgers have his revenge. Shout out to @Lingenbrau!

superspak, mickyge, MacMalt and 40 others like this.
  6. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (1,547) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois

Breakfast beer gifted to me from @oach. Happy Sunday all!
    [​IMG]

mickyge, MacMalt, TrojanRB and 30 others like this.
  7. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (338) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

[​IMG]
    That's a solid list of pubs

mickyge, MacMalt, Txex06 and 25 others like this.
  8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (3,086) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Good morning, BAs! Kicking off my morning with a new-to-me-brew that I picked up yesterday: Aardwolf's brandy barrel aged Tio de Nadal, an imperial stout conditioned on chocolate and vanilla, and then aged in brandy barrels (duh).

[​IMG]

Right now, listening to DT:

But preparing to see these guys later today:

@GreenBayBA @superspak I know Ian is familiar with Ne Obliviscaris. To me, they're the closest thing to doing for progressive metal today what Opeth did in the late '90s and 2000s. The show is a bit of a trip, so I don't know if I'm going to have the energy to make it down there, but I hope so.

mickyge, MacMalt, TrojanRB and 32 others like this.
  9. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Crusader (796) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is an outstanding beer! Thank you, @superspak! Here is another band that never gets old! Speaking of which, here is my friend, jamming before we went to the Metallica concert two weeks ago, on Ihsahn's actual used guitar. He got it after Emperor came to the United States for a tour.

superspak, mickyge, MacMalt and 37 others like this.
  10. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,294) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning BA
    Enjoyed this one over on NBS earlier...
    [​IMG]
    Now drinking this...
    [​IMG]
    Working nights currently, so this is the closer. Cheers all and enjoy your Sunday!

superspak, mickyge, MacMalt and 31 others like this.
  11. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Crusader (706) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning Advocates!

Happy last Sunday of summer!

Get out there and enjoy....at least before the rains from Florence arrive (here tomorrow)

[​IMG]

a buddy caught this nice 5# + bass right off my dock!

[​IMG]

new boat appeared in my watery neighborhood - a nice Siren 17 - the guy bought it for $300 - my kind of deal!

[​IMG]

a classic 16 ft Lyman wood boat - fishing yesterday on my lake - a beaut! Built in San dusky OH

[​IMG]

MacMalt, Txex06, TrojanRB and 30 others like this.
  12. superspak

Premium Trader

YES. The 2017 album is in my top 5 for last year, but I think Citadel is their best. I have discovered a ton of Prog death metal bands in the last year thanks to Spotify. Also loved the new Dark Tranquillity album a lot, one of their best. Check out In Vain if you have never heard them. Top favorite new discovery this year, but there are plenty others. Goosebumps for days.

mickyge, MacMalt, larryi86 and 7 others like this.
  13. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,587) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

14. Roguer

Trader

I just picked up Atoma (finally; I've heard it a ton) and Citadel. Although a couple of the tracks from Portal of I get more attention, Urn absolutely blew me away from the get-go. So damn good.

Probably no new bands to me that you don't already know; Allegeaon is one of my crushes right now, and they've got a new album coming out. Less prog/melo and more technical for the most part, but really damn impressive.

15. superspak

Premium Trader

Allegaeon has been a favorite for years. 8 string guitars! Their skill is some of the best out there. Consistently amazing.

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,005) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Deep, rich amber gold color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma of caramel malt dusted with spicy hops. That doesn't sound like much but malt is strong in this one.

Flavor is malt forward with great depth and complexity. It isn't just malt, it's malt personified with a wieldy room filling presence. I quite like it and this may be my eventual choice over those that preceded it. Sweetness is present yet in a restrained way that complements the flavor profile rather than being a defining influence. Hops are there like Rococo flourishes on the edge of a large gilded frame which is to say they're noticed but don't really draw attention away from the main picture.

17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,661) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Starting with some coffee and... pumpkin? Fair enough.

[​IMG]

Southern Tier's Cold Press Coffee Pumking.

Cheers.

mickyge, MacMalt, jkblr and 30 others like this.
  18. Roguer

Trader

Killing off this bomber ... before 10 am. Woot. Clearly, all is right in my world. :grinning:

[​IMG]

superspak, mickyge, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  19. loebrygg

20. eppCOS

eppCOS Crusader (703) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

One of these Young's Double Chocolates with my morning toasted sourdough.
    Oh, and just noticed my "interesting" karma points. Only happens once, right? So, just because:
    [​IMG]

superspak, champ103, mickyge and 33 others like this.
  21. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,781) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday, BAs! Anyone had this beer before? I’m pretty sure it’s oxidized. Looks like poop water after an incomplete flush.:poop:
    [​IMG]

superspak, champ103, mickyge and 29 others like this.
  22. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (895) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Finally getting around to trying this[​IMG]

superspak, champ103, MacMalt and 34 others like this.
  23. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,102) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

24. eppCOS

Premium

#2 - don't mess with my karma yet! I'm on a run.... sadly, this is the last of my Vallejo stash. :L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

superspak, champ103, MacMalt and 29 others like this.
  25. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,313) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Yard work and I have a serious thirst! Nice session here.

superspak, champ103, Fitzy01 and 30 others like this.
  26. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,102) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

27. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Zealot (517) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

28. mickyge

mickyge Crusader (748) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Happy Sunday brethren’s of the hops
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying this ‘18 KBS on an absolutely perfect Cape Cod Day.
    Prayers go out to the family and young man that got killed in a shark attack in Wellfleet yesterday. We’ve been to that beach a ton, it’s one of the nicest places to spend time. Makes you question your faith sometimes, young people aren’t supposed to die period, Cheers

superspak, champ103, MacMalt and 38 others like this.
  29. mickyge

mickyge Crusader (748) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

T
    That bass is a 2 hander. Cheers

BeerVikingSailor likes this.
  30. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,781) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Beer #2. This one doesn’t look like poop, and tastes good to boot!
    [​IMG]

superspak, Fitzy01, MacMalt and 25 others like this.
  31. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Disciple (389) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

A true classic. Such a fantastic brew.
    [​IMG]

superspak, champ103, MacMalt and 28 others like this.
  32. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,075) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

Wooden Hill Brewing Company Code 3

MacMalt, beergoot, larryi86 and 9 others like this.
  33. eppCOS

Premium

#3 - I'm on a roll, yeah... it's early. But I have to read/work/edit/e-mail later so why not now? Tapping out after this. I think. Feeling whimsical.
    [​IMG]

superspak, champ103, Fitzy01 and 26 others like this.
  34. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,643) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

Today is market day down the main drag here, as I understand it, alternating between farmers’ and junque markets. Today is junk...picture arts & crafts, some antiques booths, but mostly used stuff ... It’s been somewhat sunny and warmer, and Mrs. Z is having a great walk about. I’ve ducked into the bar for a beer - “Exxxtra Life”, a Belgian IPA by Elusive Brewing:

Not an IPA nor a Belgian. Pretty looking. Lite bitter lemon, some sour fruit, touch of clove in the finish. Watery. Nothing bad here, just ok...

superspak, Fitzy01, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  35. loebrygg

36. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (895) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Founders better half[​IMG]

superspak, champ103, Fitzy01 and 34 others like this.
  37. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (932) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday ba. Looking for a 2-0 start against the god damn fish,
    [​IMG]

38. EMH73

EMH73 Meyvn (1,491) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Nelson Sauvin from Mikkeller. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

39. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,217) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

2SP Crab!, cheers!
    [​IMG]

40. eppCOS

Premium

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............Crrrrraaaaaabbbbbb...
    But seriously. Not crab flavored. Looks like an ESB? No? What?
    :slight_smile:

larryi86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.