What beer are you drinking now? #2237

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beergoot, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (4,182) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Premium Trader

Woke up shortly before 2am (MST) and picked and licked at this sharp protrusion from inside my lower jaw, like a small thorn stuck in my gum. And then it was gone. Didn't feel it come out, didn't swallow it but did swish my mouth with some prescription mouthwash for this "minor infection area" my dentist gave me last week. I'm just amped that this thing is gone after several weeks. Too amped to go back to bed, so may as well crack a beer open and ease into the day. And also have some medicinal bourbon while up, too...

Still seeing the dentist (for the fourth time in less than three weeks) about this later this morning, and taking this sharp, bone-like bit that I did work out less than a week ago and did save...medical mysteries, gotta love 'em...

2. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (4,182) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Premium Trader

...damn, "Juan of the Dead" on IndiePlex and Stroh's at 3:25 AM...what better way to enjoy your morning and insomnia than this...

3. Stoutmaster9

Stoutmaster9 Devotee (406) Dec 30, 2016 California
    Premium

Sierra Nevada
    Narwhal
    Imperial Stout

(2018 batch, 10.2%)

Enjoyed with some (dark) chocolate muffin (& bar), to the sporadic sound of light rain.

Shiver me timbers! ~ 'Tis ah rather grand brew, in this here cold n' dark, t' be sure. Arrgghh!

:sunglasses:

AD17, srw, MUSHROOMCLOUD and 37 others like this.
  4. Shanex

Shanex Champion (856) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Howdy BAs...

I always thought Brooklyn was a decent brewery. So drinking their East IPA at the moment... the lucky New Yorkers have no shortage of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout...

[​IMG]

Cheers :wink:

5. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,249) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello Ba ... Off work today to prepare myself for an interview this afternoon with a potential new employer. Really need this, hope I nail it.
    Cheers !

6. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,280) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning BAs! Weather isn't doing much here in NW PA so far today - cool (28 degrees) and spitting snow (about one flake/meter cubed). Today's New Breakfast Beer is:

It gets high ratings from homers; from me, not so much.

AD17, TheGent, GreenBayBA and 33 others like this.
  7. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

8. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,361) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning BA
    My 1500th post. That's a lot of breakfast beers...
    [​IMG]
    I like the bitterness on this alleged NEIPA, but not sure it's to style. I'm going back to look at a few things and maybe adjust some numbers. I'm a significant negative rDev right now. :beers:

AD17, superspak, srw and 35 others like this.
  9. Shanex

Trader

Kasteel Donker is pretty fantastic.

[​IMG]

Cheers x2 :wink:

AD17, srw, TheGent and 37 others like this.
  10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (3,159) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Good morning, BAs! I have the day off as a declared federal holiday due to the passing of President George H. W. Bush. While I do enjoy a beer or ... several on my days off, I intend to take it very easy today. I will, however, take advantage of the day off and get to a beer a little earlier than I otherwise would.

[​IMG]
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea

Now, I am not about to legitimately mourn a person I never met. I will, however, take the opportunity and honor his legacy; I may be using the day off to accomplish a crap ton of dishes and laundry, but that's not the reason I'm home, after all.

Allow me, then, to reflect on the Honorable Mr. Bush's naval service for one moment. Most remember him as a president and would focus on that legacy. More remarkably to me, however, was his military service.

George Bush enlisted shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor - yes, enlisted. He was commissioned after completing flight training, and within months was deployed and flying combat missions in the Pacific Theater. Per Wikipedia, during the course of just over a year in theater, Bush:

"...flew 58 combat missions[11] for which he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to San Jacinto."

He was also legitimately shot down and rescued at sea (by a sandwich delivery vessel, no less......:stuck_out_tongue:).

That is a truly incredible legacy.

So today, instead of talking politics, let's take a moment to honor the passing of a man who, more than just being a president, was a true war hero at a time when the stability of not only our country, but the entire world, was legitimately at stake; when crises did not need to be falsely manufactured, when war came to US soil, when real heroes - men and women - were called upon to step forward, step away from all they loved, and step up to the moment.

George H. W. Bush did that, and we should not forget that brief but truly remarkable period of his life because of politics.

Cheers, BAs!

(Post Script edit: I honestly had no idea I was picking out a beer called VICTORY AT SEA at the same time paying tribute to Bush's Naval history. I just wanted a breakfast beer!!! It could just as easily been FBS.)

GOBLIN, AD17, meanmutt and 52 others like this.
  11. Shanex

Trader

@Roguer

Good post and while I don’t or rarely discuss politics here I will have a toast to George Bush, a quite alright POTUS and arguably a better one than his son...

Cheers to you.

AD17, meanmutt, kuhndog and 11 others like this.
  12. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,619) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

13. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (1,786) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

A frigid early morning run has me in the mood for a beer and some couch time. The DP show on the screen and Expedition Stout from 08/22/14 in the glass. Dark roasted chocolaty velvet goodness like a holiday dessert. It's worth the discipline to hide a couple every time I purchase a six pack. I'm hoping to eventually find some out here to continue the tradition.

A beautiful sunrise to start the day.....

AD17, nicholas2121, srw and 39 others like this.
  14. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (272) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I was up super early this morning (have no clue why) so decided to go out to the shed, fire up the heat inside and suck back a few brews and a cigar. First on the list, Devils Backbone Drop Bear Dust Up. It's a one-time beer from them I believe. Not too bad with a taste best defined as tropical. Guess I won't be needing any juice this morning. Next up will be something dark that goes well with a stogie. Likely an Old Rasputin Imperial.

[​IMG]

AD17, srw, cbcrunch and 27 others like this.
  15. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,041) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Clear deep gold color with white cap.

Yes, it does in fact smell like wet rope, in a good way. The hops also have earthy, herbal aspects with the overall sense of clean vegetables.

Taste is hop forward with a fuller expression in flavor going forward that is much the same as found in the scent. Not terribly complex yet the flavors work well together without conflict and display a cohesiveness that flows together nicely.

AD17, srw, cbcrunch and 32 others like this.
  16. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Initiate (35) Nov 24, 2018 New York

Brooklyn black ops is a delight... Bourbon caramel vanilla and all the works.. Every year I pick up a couple bombers saving this years batch for sunday

MacMalt and Shanex like this.
  17. Justonemore91

Graveyard shift is done now time to rehydrate.. First up sloop juice bomb cheers
    [​IMG]

AD17, superspak, srw and 31 others like this.
  18. Justonemore91

Firstt one always goes down fast, now time to up it with the ddh version.. Its like drinking guava tropical fruit cheers
    [​IMG]

AD17, srw, cbcrunch and 28 others like this.
  19. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,514) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Had an oil change in preparation for a weekend trip to Albuquerque. I plan to visit a few breweries. My wife is planning a Breaking Bad tour.

[​IMG]

AD17, Stoutmaster9, meanmutt and 42 others like this.
  20. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Defender (639) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

21. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm drinking Kirin Ichiban which is new to shelves here in Sweden. I was surprised to see that it is contract brewed by Weihenstephaner of all places. I do think it has a German feel to it (it is all-malt) even if the flavor is milder than a regular German helles would be. It has an overall clean taste with some mild malt flavor without sweetness and a very mild bitterness which is nonetheless present, especially in the aftertaste. Freshness-wise this could be something like 7 months old going by the best before date which is a shame, especially since it was released this month.

#21 Crusader, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  22. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (424) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Track/ Whiplash: Hard on You

[​IMG]

23. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,136) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

Very well said!!!

EMH73, Roguer and Shanex like this.
  24. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,179) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Stopped at RT’s for a rare late lunch and while waiting for the Gumbo had an RT’s Special Ale (tastes like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!)

[​IMG]

Cheers!

25. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (940) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Premium Trader

Happy hump day ba. Home early thanks to the postal shut down. Getting into it with a simple b-day bomb,
    [​IMG]

AD17, superspak, srw and 36 others like this.
  26. Justonemore91

Getting into it with some trillium cheers
    [​IMG]

AD17, superspak, srw and 28 others like this.
  27. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,615) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Not sure what to make of this. I need more sips. Shout out to my neighbor who handed me this thinking that I need to be day drinking. Cheers, everyone.
    [​IMG]

AD17, meanmutt, Txex06 and 35 others like this.
  28. TheIPAHunter

Premium Trader

Trillium beers are not the same to my palate. Not since the original days. What do you think?

Shanex likes this.
  29. TheIPAHunter

Premium Trader

I salute your efforts to keep politics out of the narrative. We (as a collective people) tend to focus on the noteworthy; I am here to say RIP President Bush, as well as the countless others who die daily. I celebrate you all, and this next IPA sip is for you. Cheers, @Roguer!

30. Justonemore91

Wish I could buy it by the keg the stuff is stellar... So many bad ipas out there but trillium keeps offering quality, much respect to their brewers

Shanex likes this.
  31. Justonemore91

It varies from batch to batch but the first one ever put out was fire... Thought I was drinking other half

Shanex likes this.
  32. TheIPAHunter

Premium Trader

I'm not saying that I don't respect them; I'm saying that the base beer is not the same. They can try to sell somebody else that nothing has changed, but the Hunter ain't buying it. I think their beers are good, yet nowhere on the level they used to be. That is my opinion, and I won't waiver. Cheers.

RaulMondesi and Shanex like this.
  33. Beer-Panda

Beer-Panda Disciple (321) Mar 27, 2016 Netherlands

Sierra Nevada Hop Torpedo from tap.
    Cheers from Washington DC !

(Oops .... I deleted my post. Here it is again)

[​IMG]

34. Justonemore91

I think you would know better than me bro.. I only drink trillium when it's gifted to me so I really can't speak to it more cheers

35. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,490) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]uploading image

I'm also enjoying a mid-week day off with errands and laundry. Now I'm watching one of the less popular Bond movies.

Ooh, on another note, my phone apparently upgraded to Call Screening. I just used it for the first time on a spam call and they hung up!

AD17, srw, cbcrunch and 34 others like this.
  36. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,179) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Back at the ranch!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

AD17, srw, StoutSnob40 and 30 others like this.
  37. bret717

bret717 Meyvn (1,023) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Got off work early today, and just finished raking leaves, so I’m treating myself to a Moonraker Crushable Series Citra Double-

[​IMG]

Cheers!

AD17, srw, Squire and 30 others like this.
  38. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,150) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

Founders Brewing Company Solid Gold

AD17, Squire, cbcrunch and 16 others like this.
  39. Justonemore91

Who says you can't drink and be proudactive
    [​IMG]
    Christmas tree is up in favor of winning my gf over.. She asked me not to purchase no more beer until I cleaned out my current inventory but there's so much good beer put there and I'm bad with temptation

AD17, srw, Squire and 31 others like this.
  40. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,904) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Anchor - Our Special Ale 2018.. always look forward to this one.. cheers!

AD17, cbcrunch, MacMalt and 18 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.