1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

What beer are you drinking now? #2310

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DoctorZombies, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,831) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! I took yesterday off as a cleanse day. Today I’m up early and hankerin’ for some coffee - FBS:

Have a great Saturday y’all!

Livyatan1996, AD17, puck1225 and 67 others like this.
  2. superspak

superspak Site Editor (27,613) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good morning BA. Today is my grandfathers memorial service. My mom was going through his belongings the last few days to see what to use for memorial collages. Things that were found included: Multiple car purchase receipts from mid 50-60’s(was as big a car guy as I am now); an 1824 Czechoslovakian passport from his Great Grandfather when he immigrated, and a freshly unopened diploma dated Feb 1962 from his apprenticeship for pipefitting; which he stayed a union member for over 60 years. He liked to hold onto records for a long time it seems. We all had no idea any of these things existed. The difference from inflation is pretty crazy for the car loans.
    [​IMG]

This is amazing. Great head retention/spotty lacing for the ABV. Aromas and flavors of huge dark roasted coffee, milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, molasses, brown sugar, toffee, fudge, vanilla, cream, bourbon, toasted oak, roasted nuts, and dark bread; with lighter notes of coconut, licorice, raisin, prune, fig, date, smoke, char, leather, tobacco, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Light booze in the aromas as it warms, but not overwhelming. Mild herbal, roast, charred, coffee bitterness; and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full body; very creamy, silky, velvety, rich mouthfeel that is amazing. Light slickness, sticky hops, chalky roast, and oak tannins. Lightly increasing lingering hop/char/tannin dryness; no cloying/acrid flavors. Dangerously smooth, mild increasing warmth of 14.8%, minimal lingering booze. This was definitely better than the base beer for me. Perfectly balanced between rich malts, fruity/nutty coffee complexity, and bourbon barrel presence/integration; with mild fruity yeast and earthy hops against sweetness. Was definitely less bitter/charred/drying than the base. Still love both. Spot on style examples all around.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Found another sick Prog metal band yesterday. They have a Xylosynth player, which is an instrument I did not know existed.

3. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Sorry for your loss. Great stuff to see - thanks for sharing. Here’s to your Grandfather!

RyanK252, Txex06, micada and 12 others like this.
  4. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,615) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Got this on my Florida vacation, @DoctorZombies look for this. Excellent cheers and heading to the slopes.

5. superspak

Society Trader

Still tasting amazing. Flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, berry, citrus peel/rind, pepper, and pine hops; with balanced caramel, toffee, brown sugar, bourbon, charred oak, and brown bread sweetness; with lighter notes of coconut, vanilla, and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine, citrus rind, herbal, grassy, peppery bitterness; and light-moderate bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; balanced creamy/bready malts, sticky/resinous/rindy hops, and bourbon/oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing bitter/resin/tannic dryness. Lightly increasing warmth of 12.2%, mild barrel booziness lingering after the finish. Chinook, Mosaic and Simcoe hop complexity from reDANKulous; awesome malt balance and barrel integration. Not overly sweet for the ABV. Liked it a lot more than the base beer. Feels more dank than I remember, even with the barrel aging. Definitely a lot more mellowed and balanced out after 10 months. Still have a few left.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Livyatan1996, AD17, puck1225 and 49 others like this.
  6. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

And you didn’t stop by to say “hey”? I don’t know this beer, and I will keep a look out - thanks for the heads up. Now go have some fun!

LarryV, Shanex, SawDog505 and 3 others like this.
  7. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,399) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

This is your one week warning! Add "Flagship Beer" and "Vinyl**" to your shopping lists!!
    [​IMG]

Next Saturday, February 23rd, @PatrickCT and I will be hosting a completely optional theme day on WBAYDN #2317 (think I did that math right). Come the the virtual bar as normal, but strongly consider drinking a flagship beer and/or playing some music on your record player.

In the spirit of the theme, try to have [only] beers that are a brewery's most available and identifiable offerings. Your flagships don't have to be national brands, and in fact a mix of recognizeable flagships and knowledge of local-to-you flagships could be interesting. Pair your flagship beer with some interesting music emanating from a turntable and you will win our admiration (which is priceless).

Before throwing you back to your normal morning beers, we'd like to thank our partner in crime, @LeperJim yet again for the visual reminders for the theme day. Like in the past, he has succeeded in listening to our ideas, completely ignoring them, and producing some fun images to help get you excited about the day (which again, is next Saturday). Cheers, all!!

** specifically meant to be records or LPs - not to be confused with any special wardrobe choices you people might be into

#7 cjgiant, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    MNAle, Livyatan1996, AD17 and 40 others like this.
  8. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Champion (896) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This new hazy IPA from Surly is juicy and delicious! The name is something that I am quite experienced with. Moshing at heavy metal concerts is my most joyous activity. I have always stayed in good shape, but I often will train specifically for moshing at certain concerts. The goal is to go wire-to-wire in the mosh pit, meaning the only break from the chaos is between songs. Not too many people who mosh are in good shape, and many smoke, so I am used to taking blows from everyone for a minute or so, then literally having a one-man mosh pit for the rest of the song. Nothing is more exciting to me than having someone get a running start at me, then knocking them backwards, head-over-heels.

#8 GreenBayBA, Feb 16, 2019
    Livyatan1996, AD17, puck1225 and 58 others like this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,413) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning BAs! Looks like our Euro-buds are running late today. It's spitting a few snowflakes right now. today's New Breakfast Beer:

Most definitely a cherry sour - good!

AD17, Txex06, MacMalt and 45 others like this.
  10. superspak

Society Trader

Outstanding fruit IPA. Aromas and flavors of big juicy ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, passionfruit, berry, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with toasted bread, light caramel malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light resins/rinds, increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Refreshingly drinkable, 6.5%. Fantastic Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe profile. Awesome balanced juicy/dank fruit and hop complexity; nice bready malt backbone, with minimal residual sweetness from crisp dryness. Never overly aggressive. Glad Brewdog finally made it up to MI last year. I have plenty of new found favorites from them. They are really nailing it with the OH brewery for sure on most things.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Livyatan1996, AD17, RyanK252 and 41 others like this.
  11. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Joining the Revolution this morning...”Vanilla Deth”:

Poured at 55 degrees; black with ruby edges; dark tan, rocky foam; fairly fast cap leaves thin ring; dots of lace and medium legs on swirl. 4.5

Strong bourbon nose; vanilla and cocoa nibs right behind. 4.75

Vanilla up front; bourbon but not boozy taste; toffee, caramel malt; no roast bitterness; not sweet, but some malt sweetness; dry oak with lots of vanilla finish. 5.0

Smooth, creamy, lux feel; not syrupy, just smooth feeling; medium plus body and moderate carbonation; some warmth from 14.8% abv; no astringency, not phenolic; dry barrel/oak tongue coating. 4.75

An OMG beer; super well balanced between the barrel notes and the malt with vanilla; superb mouthfeel - smooth and creamy on the intake, dry and woody on the finish with a pleasant non artificial vanilla bean flavor linger; the Deth’s Tar base is outstanding and enhanced by the vanilla bean addition. 4.75

I feel selfish drinking this beer by myself - The Deep Wood Series By Revolution has been rocking my palate the last few years, and this has been one of the best beers I’ve had to date from them. Canned 11-26-18. Thanks once again to @Number1Framer for this amazing beer! Cheers morning drinkers!

12. superspak

Society Trader

Amazing DIPA. Fantastic head retention/thick soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge red grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, peach, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berries, citrus peel/rind, wood, light peppercorn, and pine hops; with moderate honey, cracker, white bread dough malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Slight booze in the aromas as it warms. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; balanced creamy/bready/grainy malts, and sticky hops; some resins/rinds in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing lingering bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Dangerously smooth, not aggressive, mild increasing warmth of 10%. Feels like Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, and Columbus. Very juicy, vibrant, and fairly dank/earthy hop complexity; with a nice balancing bready malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness, very well attenuated for the ABV. Will get another pack if they are still around.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

AD17, RyanK252, nicholas2121 and 44 others like this.
  13. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Defender (629) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society

I got ya covered Doc Z!

LarryV, Shanex, russpowell and 3 others like this.
  14. GreenBayBA

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This is my last one of this beer. It is perfect for breakfast!

AD17, RyanK252, superspak and 50 others like this.
  15. beermanben

beermanben Zealot (536) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Morning BA.
    [​IMG]

AD17, superspak, MacMalt and 42 others like this.
  16. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (975) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Happy Saturday ba. Up and at it with another batch of beer for babies,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AD17, RyanK252, superspak and 58 others like this.
  17. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Savant (962) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Dogfish Head - American Beauty

[​IMG]

Quite a surprise for me. A definite honey sweetness transistions into an element that surprisingly resembles granola. Sticky sweetness coats the tongue before finishing dry from the granola. Very solid pale.

Cheers!

AD17, RyanK252, MacMalt and 46 others like this.
  18. GreenBayBA

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I am still making my way through my December Toppling Goliath beer inventory. It is quite a delicious journey!

AD17, RyanK252, aoampm and 53 others like this.
  19. superspak

Society Trader

Amazing NEIPA as always. Flavors of huge grapefruit, tangerine, orange juice, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berries, lemon zest, orange peel, and light pepper/pine hops; with wheat, biscuit dough, light honeyed malt sweetness; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Very mild pine, grassy, zesty, citrus peel bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; very creamy, bready, grainy wheat/oats, and light hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Very dank and juicy hops, with perfect wheat, oat, malt malt balance. Not overly sweet/heavy from lingering dryness, amazing soft feel. Super easy drinking. Glad to have this as a year round available beer. This is one of my top most purchased beers ever at the moment. It just doesn't get any better for the style vs availability. Every Old Nation NEIPA is better than most anything else I've had in the state. DDH is just as impressive; but a bit more bitter, resinous, dank, and earthy.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

AD17, RyanK252, jamesroses and 46 others like this.
  20. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Zealot (539) Nov 16, 2007 New York

21. Roguer

Roguer Site Editor (3,925) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

On vacation, so moving from coffee to “coffee.”

[​IMG]
    BP High West VAS

Cheers!

AD17, RyanK252, superspak and 56 others like this.
  22. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (1,666) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois

It's Saturday? Okay, I'm in.
    [​IMG]

AD17, RyanK252, nicholas2121 and 50 others like this.
  23. Roguer

Society Trader

Oh man, I love pits, but I’m 5,8”, 150, and arthritic. I used to be 110 going into the pits. Needless to say, I’m far more likely to be the one being knocked down.

LarryV, Shanex, russpowell and 2 others like this.
  24. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Nice. I got my 4pk at the grocer 2 days ago, bottled 12/11/18. Drink on brother!

LarryV, Shanex, beerloserLI and 2 others like this.
  25. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,614) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Nice memories!

LarryV, Shanex, pat61 and 3 others like this.
  26. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,699) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

27. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,614) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Joining my virtual bar mates for some coffee.

[​IMG]

28. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Dark and coco-nutty for me this morning. Cheers. Sorry I ghosted early yesterday; turned into a Samsung S-Fuckfest as I transferred phones, data, and spent hours at the Verizon store. Woe to us all. I miss rotary phones, and having no cell phone. Goddamn modernity... :wink:
    Thought I'd pair this beer and post with some 70s jazz for white people (i kid i kid... but not by much). :stuck_out_tongue:
    [​IMG]

AD17, RyanK252, superspak and 50 others like this.
  29. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

I’ve cleaned the kitchen, taken dogs out for another short walk, and prepped our bacon/eggs/fruit brunch...just waiting for my lovely Mrs. to arise...last of the 4pk - Prairie’s “Deconstucted BOMB! Cacao Nibs”:

Let’s start with I’m a BOMB! fan boy...and, the first 3 deconstructed beers were overpriced disappointments; what I thought might be saving the best for last turns out to be weird soy sauce and super sweet plum/prune juice, overly sweet and dare I say, I’m cringing and making “that face” while I sip and write this post on my iPhone...not sure how old this beer is, and at 11.8%, it didn’t, imo, age well...Cheers pisanos!

#29 DoctorZombies, Feb 16, 2019
    AD17, RyanK252, superspak and 43 others like this.
  30. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Defender (683) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

31. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Devotee (466) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

Cigar City's Maduro Brown - always enjoyable
    [​IMG]

AD17, puck1225, RyanK252 and 48 others like this.
  32. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,259) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Fantôme Fantôme De Noel - another cellar find.

AD17, puck1225, MacMalt and 21 others like this.
  33. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,124) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Noticed a post about this one the other day and it's been awhile, so . . .

[​IMG]

Bright, clear golden color with white cap and good lace.

Aroma of caramel malt and citrusy-piney hops.

Taste is almost malt forward and would be if the hops were less assertive. Brewer says caramel malt was chosen to offset the hop kick and this works, almost. There is a sharp brightness in the hops leaning toward piney bitterness which sets in right after entry and lingers into the aftertaste. This is not to say too much bitterness (it is an IPA) just that the brewer is painting with the darker shades of green.

Sometimes a brew just jumps forward with a cheerful attitude and this is one of those. It doesn't strike me as being particularly forceful in any specific direction, nor is the balance pitch perfect, but it is one you instinctively feel is first string.

AD17, puck1225, RyanK252 and 47 others like this.
  34. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Crusader (734) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Morning Saturday BA's

Going light....have been going through some of my camping gear - didn't remember I have like 4 or 5 stoves! Oh well, always good to be prepared

[​IMG]

AD17, puck1225, RyanK252 and 41 others like this.
  35. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,470) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

I also miss rotary phones.

When you wanted to hang up on someone you could do it with authority and anger. Cell phones have deleted that subtlety.

36. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,699) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Finishing the bottle

[​IMG]
    Cheers!

37. scream

scream Crusader (731) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Like this one that we stilluse !

[​IMG]

38. Roguer

Society Trader

Six week old White Oak Jail Alai? Yes, please!

[​IMG]

AD17, puck1225, RyanK252 and 49 others like this.
  39. wally_world

wally_world Aspirant (252) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Umphrey's at Red Rocks is on the bucket list!

40. wally_world

wally_world Aspirant (252) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Morning, Bar Mates!

Have a first birthday party to go to today. Luckily there will be college hoops on.

Starting with this:

[​IMG]

Perfect way to start the day.

Cheers, BAs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.