What beer are you drinking now? #2811

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jkblr, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,257) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning BA
    I worked 4pm last night until 4am this morning. Time for a beer...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks @beergoot. I've got a small glass of Whistlepig Piggyback 6 year on the side as well.
    Cheers all and enjoy your Wednesday!

2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,292) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Have a good Wednesday. Feeling quite significantly better today. I talked to my best friend/roommate from college for 5 hours over Discord with my phone as the (wifi connected) webcam, so I was able to give him the apartment tour in 5 minutes. Complete catch up to the last 7.5 years of missed contact. Everything including serious life events and which video game I should buy next. He is a game twitch streamer a bit, so that's what got me interested last month. I also bought an Assassins Creed bundle from Steam as soon as I saw it. Includes Black Flag, Unity, Rogue, and Syndicate. Couldn't pass up 70% off. Also got a fresh baggy for me freshly cleaned bong and it was wonderful. Made an oven roasted chicken meal around 4 AM. Used the Aardvark Hot Sauce and Chili Lime Seasoned Salt. Then talked to an old high school friend about chess strats and played a few games online.

Lagunitas Hazy Wonder. Excellent NEIPA. Great fluff head retention/foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big tangerine, red grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, passion fruit, coconut, red apple, mango, honeydew melon, berries, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, and pine hops; with moderate wheat, cracker, biscuit dough, light honey/toasted malts; and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and body; very creamy/bready/grainy malts, some sticky hops, and light resins/rinds in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter dryness; no hop astringency. Very smooth/soft, no warming 6% or lingering hop burn after the finish. Awesome Sabro, Comet, Citra and Cashmere profile. Very juicy/vibrant hops, with light dank/earthy notes; with a nice sized bready malt backbone. Light residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness. No complaints. 4
    [​IMG]

Cheers

My favorite off Magma I think. The ending riff and verse is heavy as shit.

3. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,380) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Good morning @jkblr , that looks like a great pour you selected to survive your 12 hour shift. I hope to run across it one of these days,

I picked up this pour two weeks ago. I was hoping for a cooler day to drink my first of the four pack, but my only option to enjoy outside is the nice cool early morning air.

Revolution Brewing Supermassive Cafe Deth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://revbrew.com/beer/deep-wood-series/supermassive-café-deth

Supermassive Deth (as in teeth, named for the Founder of Revolution Brewery, part of the incredible Goose Island "Brewing Tree" Josh Deth), brewed by another GI alumni (Jim Cibak who with Marty Scott). Their barrel aged program, the Deep Wood Series, can stand toe to toe with the originator of American Imperial Stouts and I'd say any other brewery in terms of this series or their wide range across many styles.

I had this first as part of the previous Fall Deep Woods release of Cafe Deth, a great annual beer. I drink this every year, and the 2019 batch was the best ever. At the release party / event, Revolution releases several variants, and Supermassive Deth was one of the variants. I was so very happy they decided to bring this back for package release two weeks ago (these were canned June 17th and sold that weekend).

The roast coffee is bolder than even the excellent rich taste of Cafe Deth. It is very sweet, on some sips it has similar sweetness and characteristics of Deth by Plums. Some maple characteristics as well, texture and taste similar to syrup. This is one of the most rich and creamy mouth feels I've ever experienced. Dark Matter Coffee is the coffee Revolution uses for all of it's coffee related pours. Grab a Coffee Eugene when you are in town, you will not be disappointed.

This Oatmeal Stout has been aged 18 months in bourbon barrels. The bourbon is very smooth, the suppermassive 14.8% ABV well masked, even as this beverage warms. The rich creamy smooth texture, sweet and bold but manageable roast coffee taste, the incredible bourbon and oak barrel. I rated this as one of my highest beers ever at the release (4.5, 4.25, 4.75, 4.75, 4.5). I am updating my rating to increase mouthfeel to 5.0 and over all to 4.75 now that i have a chance to re-experience and drink a full pour out of a proper glass.

Cheers to you, Beer Advocates across the globe. I hope you have a Supermassive Excellent Beer Wednesday, and also you get to enjoy a rich incredible pour like this one very, very soon.

My next pour later today will celebrate all things Canada and Canadian to celebrate Canada Day 2020!

PS- Glad you are doing well today @superspak !

As passionate of this pour as Henry Rollins, the Supermassive lead singer of Black Flag, is of music!

#3 ChicagoJ, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:11 PM
  4. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (503) Aug 17, 2008 New York

Drinking SN Summerfest

[​IMG]

#lincoln project

#4 tolar111, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM
  5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,427) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Good morning everyone. I bought a single 4-pack of this new deliciousness and am seriously regretting not getting the limit. So, so good.

[​IMG]

6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,915) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass canned 6/16/2020. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a finger plus sticky slightly off white, that leaves a massive wall of lace with excellent retention. 4.5

Smell is bold melon, papaya, peach, apricot, and white grapefruit rind, maybe a hint of alcohol very pleasant. 4.25

Taste follows cantaloupe, peach, papaya, apricot, and grapefruit with a little alcohol in the lingering rather balanced finish. 4.25

Mouthfeel is big, slightly sticky not dry, soft gentle carbonation, and at 10% you have your hands full, but still rather easy drinking. 4.5

Overall this is an amazing NETIPA. Really not overpowering, well balanced, and hides the ABV very well. Cheers all. 4.25

7. superspak

Society Trader

Shorts Sweet 16 anniversary ale. Awesome IPA. Lasting rocky head retention, thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big tangerine, red grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, watermelon,. honeydew melon, guava, blueberry, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, and pine hops; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit, light honey malts; and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; very smooth, creamy/bready/grainy, and fairly sticky/resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is great. Mild increasing warmth of 6.9%, with minimal lingering hop burn after the finish. 16 hop varieties; feels like a lot of citra, motueka, mosaic, el dorado. Very juicy, vibrant, and fairly dank/earthy hops; with a nice sized bready malt backbone. Minimal residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness. Very impressive! 4.13
    [​IMG]

Cheers

8. tyrannosaurus69

tyrannosaurus69 Initiate (41) Jun 11, 2020 England

[​IMG]
    Absolute shocker. I was so excited to try this as the original Pump Up The Jam pale was really good. This is marketed as an imperial pale, but drinks like a poorly carbonated and low quality barley wine. Manure on the nose, tasted like flat, sickeningly sweet cherry cola and cheap liquor. Absolutely no hop profile. The first beer I've ever poured down the sink. When I told my wife she was shocked I had poured it away because I'll drink pretty much any beer from start to finish when duty calls just for the experience. Went to bed pissed off and with a headache. You can't win them all!

9. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Congratulations on your first drain pour

mikeinportc, LarryV, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  10. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,915) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Time to Hammer Down. Stuff another special beer.

11. tyrannosaurus69

tyrannosaurus69 Initiate (41) Jun 11, 2020 England

Haha thanks! Makes me even more determined to source some great beer so I can put this horrible memory behind me :stuck_out_tongue:

12. Peach63

Peach63 Devotee (469) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Never met a Scotch ale I didn't like.

[​IMG]

13. B1erCr0w

B1erCr0w Initiate (25) Jun 18, 2020 Vermont

Hello to early bird beer drinkers out there. Enjoyed a good combo last night. New found fav beer, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, followed later by Zero Gravity's Green State Lager. Have heard that folks around the country have known of the Two Hearted Ale for several years, and some rating organizations list it as one of their top IPAs, I never heard of it until about two weeks ago. Just plowing along with my head in the sand, I guess. Anyway, great beer, great taste and oh, so drinkable. Love, that it is so balanced, easy on the palate and leaves a wonderful aftertaste. Later, after trying to work outside during the interminable short bursts of rain, I gave up and tapped into the Green State (here's to Vermont!!) for a great pilsner. Crisp, clean and very satisfying. Nice finish to the evening. Had gone to Price Choppers for ingredients for an Indian style dinner, but just in passing saw the bag of fresh wild mussels on ice near the seafood counter. Oohh Kaaay! Shifting direction and came home to steam those babies in butter, garlic and 120's sauvignon blanc. Large, sweet steamed mussels. The two pound bag contained one mussel short of 4 dozen, and I ate them all. Had to enjoy a small glass of the 120 as well. Here's to American genius: Just in that typical evening I took a trip around the country with beer from Comstock, MI and Burlington, VT; wine from Santiago, Chile by way of Manteca, CA and New England Wild Mussels from Mar Seafood in Warwick, RI.

14. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,617) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

My favorite local brew, canned yesterday!
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

15. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,903) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

How is this already my last Ghost in the Machine? :sob:

[​IMG]

Fortunately I can re-stock my dwindling IPA selection on Friday. Looks like another trip to Jax may be in order.

Cheers!

16. superspak

Society Trader

I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is one of the best games I've ever played.
    [​IMG]

Old Nation Boss Tweed. Insane NEDIPA as always. Aromas and flavors of huge tangerine, orange juice, grapefruit, lemon, peach, apricot, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berries, citrus peel/zest, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate wheat, biscuit dough, light honeyed malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Very mild pine, zesty, herbal, floral, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-full bodied creamy, bready, grainy wheat/oats in the mouthfeel. Slight hop stickiness, with a touch of increasing lingering bitter dryness. Zero hop astringency. Dangerously drinkable for 9.3%, minimal warming ABV. One of the absolute best in the style I've had, smoothness is unmatched. Pure citrus/tropical fruit juice hop flavors, with a touch of dankness. Never overly sweet/heavy feeling on malts for the ABV; perfectly balanced. Super soft mouthfeel. Old Nation definitely has the best MI NEIPAs. These hold up extremely well over a few months. I prefer them with a bit of time actually, because they get even smoother/silkier.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Hardly any YT music recs with all my guitar tone lesson vids all over the damn place.

17. Peach63

Peach63 Devotee (469) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

How did you get that beautiful finish on your cabinet? It's absolutely stunning!

18. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,903) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Sticking with Parish.

[​IMG]
    Reve Coffee Stout

Oh jeez ... it's mica. I bought it that way and assembled it. I love it, but I can't take any credit whatsoever, sadly. :slight_frown:

I've done my own carpentry and finishing, but never on anything this large. I leave that to the professionals. And my finished products, though I'm proud of them, don't look anything near that good. :slight_smile:

superspak, Txex06, ChicagoJ and 36 others like this.
  19. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,913) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

Transplanting a few small trees that came up as volunteers and drinking TG. :beers:

[​IMG]

20. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,135) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Manure on the nose, you just described the first meal my wife cooked for me as a newly wed 40 some odd years ago. I feel for you.

Peach63, mikeinportc, LarryV and 5 others like this.
  21. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,135) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

That is almost @vabeerguy 's dream meal,cheers.

22. ElGabRyan

ElGabRyan Crusader (720) May 10, 2013 New Jersey

23. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,080) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Union Old Pro with lunch, cheers!
    [​IMG]

Peach63, HopNMad, superspak and 42 others like this.
  24. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,744) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, BA’s, and happy Canada Day! Not sure when I’ll be able to return to my homeland with the way things are going. Supposedly the border opens July 21st but I doubt they’re gonna let any of us in with our skyrocketing infection rates.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks @Joplamp for this! Really good shit.

25. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,006) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

26. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,285) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Canada Day! I thought it was a fitting day to try my first Moosehead Lager (yes, ever). Like Canada, fiercely independent and really enjoyable.

A fitting tribute, although one that makes me feel like a hockey game is about to start. Stay Safe, mes amis, Sunscreen, and Sláinte!

27. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,180) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Half day and then a quick jaunt out of town, out of the way from crowds, just enjoying a hot and mildly humid day with a Franconian Kellerbier in my “drinking jar.”
    [​IMG]

28. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,944) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

You got that right. Even though our local restaurant where we get oysters, clams, shrimp and other seafood is closed they are offering a curbside seafood fest for the holiday.

LarryV, mickyge, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  29. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,161) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Sailfish Tag and Release Amber Ale after 3 hours of kayaking near Fat Deer Key. Saw the backside and nose of a Manatee, that was the highlight of that little float

30. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

31. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (3,406) Sep 11, 2010 Maine
    Society

32. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,881) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Masthead - Sehnsucht Vienna Lager (16oz can).. cheers!

Peach63, superspak, ChicagoJ and 26 others like this.
  33. ElGabRyan

ElGabRyan Crusader (720) May 10, 2013 New Jersey

34. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Disciple (395) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

Cherry is my favorite fruit so I loved this one. Hoped you enjoyed it as well cheers

35. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Really tasty, in fact I enjoyed it more than 7. Still have 5 and 6 to try, thanks to you!

LarryV, Hinda65 and Justonemore91 like this.
  36. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Beer #3. A second thanks to @Justonemore91 !
    [​IMG]
    Haven’t had Finback in many years.

37. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,769) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

38. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,063) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

A 12 hour shift calls for two beers!

LarryV, tolar111 and jkblr like this.
  39. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,180) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

A first for me. Not the beer, but being in a kayak; with a beer, nonetheless. I think this is a class -3 rapid, so I feel halfway safe.

[​IMG]

40. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,063) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Anytime I break 80 it's a good round of golf.
    Elevated IPA after the round.

[​IMG]

Peach63, superspak, ChicagoJ and 31 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.