What beer are you drinking now? #2816

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,634) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Greetings advocates, this sunny and warming weather calls for a Duvel. Hope y’all have been doing great; I’m not home in case it wasn’t obvious. Currently enjoying two weeks off on the coast.

[​IMG]

The coast has been pretty windy, by the way:

[​IMG]

Cheers, all!

2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,435) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Have a good Monday. Slept for 14 hours again, maybe I'll get out of the bum rut eventually. More chess today and maybe some Halo CE, I still need to beat that campaign.

Cigar City Jai Alai. Fantastic IPA as always. Aromas and flavors of big grapefruit, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate caramel, toasted bread malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced creamy/bready malts and sticky/resinous hops in the moufeel. Moderate increasing bitter/resin dryness, no hop astringency. Extremely drinkable, never overly aggressive. Outstanding juicy and fairy dank hop complexity; nice bready Munich malt backbone, with no residual sweetness. Classic Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Ahtanum, and Amarillo hop bill. A top favorite when fresh.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Still going on the same track for 3 days straight.

3. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,443) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Glad you finally made it to the Coast @Shanex after that long wait! The shore looks awesome!!!

I cannot go to the West Coast of the United States due to closures. I can and have, however, purchased fresh AleSmith Beer, my favorite San Diego Brewer and one of my favorites period due to their excellent brews across many styles.

Today's pour is a return of their IPA, which I had at their Brewery in mid-February prior to their off-site can release. It is an excellent WCIPA, and I'm glad they are hitting Chicago fresh.

[​IMG]

Cheers Beer Advocates, and may we all be able to vacation to our favorite seashore safe and soon!

4. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,766) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I heard they tweaked the recipe. Any truth to this?

LarryV, BrewsOverHoes, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  5. superspak

Society Trader

Supposed to be a high of 96F twice this week. Doubt I'll go outside, might get heatstroke :grin:. My horizon falcon king tank is showing no coil connection for my new Aegis Legend mod. Will probably have to take it apart now. I have a couple grams of CBD flower from a quarter ounce I bought a while ago. Still working well, feeling really chilled out.

8 Year revisit review. Short's Soft Parade. This was awesome. Lasting fluffy head retention/thick foamy lacing. Awesome ruby/pink color. Aromas and flavors of big juicy/tart/tangy strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, fruit skin/seeds, peach, pear, apricot, melon, red apple, red grape/wine, spicy rye, toasted biscuit, light roast/pepper/wood, and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light fruit tang/tartness; herbal, floral, woody, grassy bitterness; and rye spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; very creamy/bready/grainy rye, some sticky hops and fruit tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering tart/bitter dryness; no astringent flavors. Very smooth/soft, minimal warming 7.5%. Pretty refreshing. Awesome balance of juicy/jammy berries, fruity yeast, and rye/bready malts; with solid earthy hops. Light residual sweetness with lingering dryness. Better than I remember! 4.13
    [​IMG]

Cheers

6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,111) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Morning all, this stuff is such a rock solid DDH NEIPA. Cheers

7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,582) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

It rained long and hard last night...very minor roof leakage following my patch/repair. More rain thankfully forecast today, so maybe my barrels will fill up. Finishing off yesterday’s new beer - Coffee Abraxas (2018):

[​IMG]

Poured at a chilly 49°. Mostly cacao nibs and cinnamon this morning. I believe the colder temp is muting the vegetables/green peppers flavors I picked up yesterday. Some spicy heat from the Ancho Chilies. Drinking very nicely on day two.

I was lazy all weekend...plenty of house and garden chores to do today. Have a magnificent Monday BAs, and Cheers!

8. ChicagoJ

Society Trader

My February pour at the brewery was my first. The brewery server was real excited about it, and I liked it.

However, the current can lists Citra hops, whereas a recipe linked below in 2016 does not. Also, the can states it is "better than ever" indicating a change. Whether this improved the beer or not, I am at a loss to confirm.

As stated on the purchased can. Bold emphasis / editorial commentary provided by ChicagoJ:

One of the all-time highest rated IPAs on Ratebeer (ha ha), AleSmith IPA is back for our 25th Anniversary and better than ever. Bursting with massive hop aromas of grapefruit, pine, and tropical fruits from huge additions of Columbus (uh oh, better change that name) and Citra, this classic IPA is perfectly balanced (I think there is a BA meme somewhere for this) by a healthy malt backbone, and smooth, bitter finish.

2016 Recipe:
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/419121/alesmith-ipa-clone

#8 ChicagoJ, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  9. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,111) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] More tasty stuff from Deciduous Brewing.

10. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,342) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I cannot believe how many Pringles I have eaten in the last 48 hours!

11. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,761) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Post taking down the wasp nests. Really enjoying this one
    [​IMG]

Pinz412, jockstrappy, LarryV and 39 others like this.
  12. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,459) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Enjoy the break! Looks lovely!

LarryV, Thankin_Hank, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  13. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,766) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That was one of my original favorite west coast IPAs. I used to grab as many bombers as I could when I'd see it.

14. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,148) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Last day of the long weekend, and I intend to enjoy it. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]
    FBS

Cheers!

15. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (896) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hey BA's - my first "vacation day" officially taken off today, to give me a 4 day weekend....bit too hot for my liking, but making the best of it....doggo and I went out early at 7:30 for a cool'ish walk - I am making some kimchi quick pickles as we speak and waiting on a UPS beer delivery! Not a bad start to a Monday!

[​IMG]

way too sweet, but need to drink these up

Emma this morning on the trail - I think this dog has some beagle in her - she sniffs everything in sight and barks at some unforeseen threat!

[​IMG]

16. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Enjoying an Elevated Perspective with lunch.

[​IMG]

@FBarber this just recently showed up in Jax. Literally never heard of the brewery before yesterday, but I'm glad I picked up a four pack. :slight_smile:

Pinz412, guinness77, LarryV and 38 others like this.
  17. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,450) Jan 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    “Coffee,” bagels and the beach. Day off. Great stout, still sticky thick coffee in this. Cheers all.

18. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Meyvn (1,186) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Four hours of OT and a 25 mile road ride complete. Grilling some Steelhead for later, burgers on deck. Enjoying a SNPA.....
    [​IMG]

19. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,488) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Where you at here? Somewhere near Boulogne? Dieppe? Amuse-toi bien! Santé

20. superspak

Society Trader

Hahaha, what a joke. I disassembled my tank and the coil was loose, which is odd because the whole thing had a watertight seal. I got the Strawberry Honey Graham Cookie Twist going now. I just opened the pack. Love all of their flavors for the most part. I am still playing Lichess puzzles, they are addicting.

Speciation Elderberry Incipient. This was amazing. Poor head retention and no lacing as expected. Lovely dark purple color. Aromas and flavors of huge sour/tart/tangy boysenberry, raspberry, blackberry, fruit jam/skin/seed, lemon, lime, peach, plum, pear, apricot, red/green apple, red grape/wine, hay, straw, and grass; with moderate wheat, white bready malts; light pepper, oak, lacto/musty funk, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tart/sourness, fruit tang, and light spiciness on the finish. Medium-plus carbonation, light-medium body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Balanced creamy/grainy wheat, lactic acid, and fruit tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness; no pucker/astringency. Very smooth, pretty refreshing, not overly lactic/tannic, minimal warming 6.5%. Amazing balance of super jammy berries and Brett/Bactieria complexity; with a nice malt backbone against acidity, and solid oak foeder presence. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp dryness. This is the best of this series so far! 4.37
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Pinz412, jockstrappy, LarryV and 35 others like this.
  21. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

In between but much closer to Boulogne.

So the coast of the Somme region of France. Not going to make it hard on BA and start lecturing you all, but the Somme was an epic, tragic battle that took place in 1916. Santé et merci amigo!

22. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Yea! Urban Artifact beer delivery made....enjoying this one fresh from the box (after a slight chilling)

[​IMG]

really delicious! and refreshing....cannot wait to try the Spicy Pickle!

[​IMG]

time to think about lunch - I like this Monday off stuff!
    Cheers!

23. ChicagoJ

Society Trader

Worth checking out if you have a chance. I don't have access to the top NEIPAs in Chicago, but I would check out ones highly praised in this thread. Are there any other styles you drink besides IPAs/NEIPAs?

Second beer this morning, same brewer, different style: AleSmith Forgeberry

[​IMG]

Also tried this for the first time in February, a very good fruit beer (listed on BA as a wild ale, I submitted a change request), flavorful with light ABV 4.9% and calories (120). More tart than I remembered, still enjoyed the taste and price ($10 six pack).

Cant't wait to hit Cali this Winter, hopefully everything is clear by then.

Game, blouses

What Eric Carmen was up to when I was 3.

24. eppCOS

Society

Super, et je connais. I remember the Somme region (I'm a WWI/WWII "nerd"), Cayeux, Saint Valery, etc. Jolie region! Spent 1981-1983 just outside Rouen and we got to know the region well...

25. eppCOS

Society

Howdy BAs - back from my 6+ miler, exhausted and hungry.
    Made a carnitas "melt" sandwich on a brioche bun and turned out OK!

A little TRVE Tunnel of Trees lurks in the background - work ahead for the rest of the day.
    Check in later, y'all. Cheers!

[​IMG]

26. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Meyvn (1,186) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Her lamb burger with feta, my beef.....oh and my TG Intergalactic Warrior....
    [​IMG]

HopNMad, Pinz412, SammyStout and 42 others like this.
  27. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

You have just pinpointed me! I was in Cayeux just this afternoon, which is sadly a bit decaying these days whereas St Valéry sur Somme is jumping. The latter has more appeal although I like both, the Somme and its coastline attract all kind of bloody parisians and other northern French; just like Deauville et all.

28. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Crusader (759) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm sitting around on a hot day. I'm having a Dixie Peach from Whole Hog. It's supposed to be a hefeweizen, but there is literally nothing indicative of it being a hefe. There's a lot of peach in the nose and palate, but no wheat or anything else to make it a hefeweizen. I rated it a 3.12, which was a chunk below it's BA average of 3.33.

jrc1093, LarryV, ovaltine and 19 others like this.
  29. tolar111

tolar111 Zealot (532) Aug 17, 2008 New York

Drinking SN Summerfest bottled 6/03/20

[​IMG]

30. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (3,529) Sep 11, 2010 Maine
    Society

31. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,992) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oskar Blues - Can-O-Bliss Hazy IPA (can).. cheers!

Pinz412, jrc1093, guinness77 and 24 others like this.
  32. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,296) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

33. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

Delirium now that it’s cooling quite a bit and a shirt isn’t warm enough. Warm days, cooler nights. I likey.

[​IMG]

34. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,457) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

My last can of Burial for now.
    [​IMG]

35. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,396) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning BA
    @vabeerguy bought me this beer so I wouldn't get dehydrated doing lawn work
    [​IMG]
    I didn't score it very highly last week out of a glass, but it's tasting great out of the bottle right now. Cheers all!

36. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,461) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

37. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Afternoon chocolate marshmallow Scotch barrel aged goodness.

[​IMG]

@superspak Jamming out to Dir en Grey all freaking day.

\m/

38. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Forgot how good this German Aldi pils is....need to get another 6 pk of this!

[​IMG]

picked a warm day off to do some carpet cleaning....there is some light colored carpet inside a couple of rooms in the Boathouse -whew, 92 degrees and no central ac is no fun!

39. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,425) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

I would like to call your attention to the head on this IPA (Exhibit A). No, this was not an overly enthusiastic pour, but a "heady topper," (if I may be so bold as to borrow that term). Also the reason I really respect the construction of the Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass: without that outward turn lip, well ...

[​IMG]

Exhibit B: the label notes, submitted for your approval. Translation, all things to all men (and women). It is a fair description: it is a really good beer.

[​IMG]

Exhibit C: Made on St. Paddy's day. Yes, the NYC 5th Ave parade was cancelled, but you have got to love that dedication.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit that these folks are dedicated to the craft. Never been, but cannot wait to get to Kelly and Sonya's tap room when things loosen up a bit in NYC.

Stay Safe and Sláinte!

40. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Meyvn (1,378) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Charlie Daniels died. 83 years old. He could play a fiddle.

[​IMG]

A "Texas" to you CDB. Rest in Peace.

Let's have a WAKE for Charlie!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.