Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

What beer are you drinking now? #461

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Prager62, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,787) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Loved Sweet 16, but not a fan of this one.

[​IMG]

beerloserLI and Greywulfken like this.
  2. lsummers

lsummers Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 California

Relaxing before heading out tonight with a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

[​IMG]

3. PaulBian8

PaulBian8 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Ohio

You calmed my nerves (or maybe the Hopslams did haha). Can't wait to find it in Dayton, OH!

Greywulfken likes this.
  4. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Disciple (398) Apr 3, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Got
    Got some today for the first time this year! In the fridge now and poppin' one tomorrow. Cheers!

boehmer7 likes this.
  5. y2jrock60

y2jrock60 Disciple (379) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

6. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Defender (675) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

It may not be Tactical Nuclear Penguin, but it still packs quite a punch. Good too. Welcome to the weekend, everyone.

[​IMG]

#286 Beer-A-Lot, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  7. mufc704

mufc704 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 North Carolina

Plead the 5th was excellent, this doesn't quite stack up; but not bad for under 10 bucks

[​IMG]

BlueRogue, LeperJim, Scrapss and 3 others like this.
  8. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Devotee (402) May 14, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

It's finally Lunch time.

[​IMG]

9. Absolut

Absolut Zealot (564) Sep 19, 2011 California

fresh sculpin!

RonfromJersey and Greywulfken like this.
  10. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Devotee (475) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

[​IMG] 16° in Boston, way up from the single digits. Massachusetts' Trappist Ale which is way pricey but very good.

11. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,751) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Round two with Enjoy By. Might be the last time I have it for a few months, as it was last time. Still, glad I got my hands on this bottle.

[​IMG]

The dogs have their sustenance; I have mine. All three of us enjoy a treat after walking them out in the snow, in 8 degree cold.

This band is completely unfamiliar to me, but recommended by Youtube. I like the sound a lot. @BLACKENEDPLAGUE , @Shroud0fdoom , help me out; you guys heard of them?

12. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

Southern Star * Buried Hatchet Stout

[​IMG]

13. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Culmination easily exceeded my expectations.

BlueRogue likes this.
  14. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Pic isn't working but I'm having my first Sucks of the season. 26 days young and mighty tasty!

15. pagesofphotographs

pagesofphotographs Defender (630) Sep 15, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

16. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Devotee (415) Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

17. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

I can't wait for Cafe Royale and Bourbon Barrel Porter to show up again in my woods.
    So good.

skinsfan likes this.
  18. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Savant (979) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Last one of the night, and the way I poured it maybe I should stop. Though it is a great way to end the night.
    [​IMG]

19. wr3ck00n

wr3ck00n Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 North Carolina

Growler of Foothills Jade? I can think of worse ways to spend a Friday night. Cheers!

[​IMG]

20. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (598) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My evening so far…

[​IMG]

21. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

forget applications, build a strong LinkedIn profile - employers are all over entry-level talent

jhartley likes this.
  22. mpayne5

mpayne5 Zealot (512) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

23. TwoBeers

TwoBeers Aspirant (223) Nov 22, 2013 Nevada

Einstok Icelandic Toasted Porter. Decent beer but not quite as interesting and unique as it looked.

[​IMG]

tolar111, Roguer and Greywulfken like this.
  24. SWChi

SWChi Disciple (303) Oct 25, 2012 Illinois

At Rock Island's 1st yr Anniversary Party. .

[​IMG]

Jaycase, Prager62 and Greywulfken like this.
  25. Rhf9120

Rhf9120 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Rhode Island

Just finished Lost Abbey Deliverance absolutely amazing is all I have to say

Greywulfken likes this.
  26. bcmac983

bcmac983 Aspirant (203) Sep 9, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Still have the Christmas Spirit[​IMG]

27. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,101) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Going to start with my first taste of this:

[​IMG]

Then a couple Bell's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finishing with a local warmer:
    [​IMG]

28. kilowattcycles

kilowattcycles Initiate (129) Mar 6, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber

Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XIV....excellent beer, but doesn't have the mouthfeel I expected though...seems thin.
    [​IMG]

ASak10, BlueRogue, MattyG85 and 6 others like this.
  29. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (1,651) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey

Drinking a Black & Tan made of GooseIsland Bourbon County Black Stout poured over Dales Pale Ale 4.5 is more palatable, enjoyable, delightful than BCBS alone 4.2.

Why? Well - just try it!
    IMHO: Try a triple RIS over any good pale ale and you lose nothing from the RIS and you gain from the pale ale underbelly and lower alcohol.

Everything I liked about BCBS but without the syrupy, fumed, high alcohol masking it. A richer nose, better carbonated, calmer, less in your face, less syrupy and sweet. More drinkable, rather than having to nurse. Better with food.

Here's my review of Bourbon County Black Stout (BCBS) alone:

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After spending time with BCBS, letting it arrive at room temperature, when it became very different, more of a dessert wine, I had to say, it's well-crafted, but not my idea of beer. It's more of a thick dessert wine, of which I am not a fan.

At the NYC store where I bought a single, I asked "$8?" And counter man said, "yeah, but it's 3 beers worth, it's all you'll need."

It certainly packs 3 beers worth of concentrated flavors as well as ABV, but the syrupy nature is … too much for me. It's like drinking the syrup that makes the beverage.

Appearance: Pours an opaque, thick espresso brown color with a so-so mocha latte head that fades fast, but sticks w lots of lace.

Smell: Bourbon in front and center, and it masks a bit the other delightful background notes, which are evocative of a European church: oak, dark chocolate, charred wood, incense, caramel, vanilla, late winter earth, and a hint of dried flowers.

(I cannot get as much out of the nose as others seem to do, due to too much bourbon alcohol.)

Taste: The bourbon powers from the start, then blends with duality of charred wood, varnished pews, incense, and the dark chocolate and vanilla syrups straight from the taps. I don't get as much fruit as others do. Interesting, meditation beer, but drinks -frankly like an over done dessert zinfandel. And although balanced, is a bit too sweet. I feel like it would be GREAT blended in a milkshake.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and syrupy, with low carbonation. Must let it warm, but becomes more and more of an after-dinner dessert wine… flat, syrupy, thick. … And I am NOT a fan of dessert wines.

Had a hard time finishing so drank it along side my Dales Pale Ale for a while, and enjoyed it more with the contrast, and then, finally made a black and tan of them which was delicious and more balanced and interesting to me.

30. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Still my favorite barleywine

31. slarrage

slarrage Aspirant (213) Oct 4, 2012 Massachusetts

32. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (566) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

2012 Bells Expedition Stout

Gonna finish off the night with some pappy, not sure which one yet.

#312 semibaked, Jan 25, 2014
  33. KurtisR

KurtisR Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

I really like Agalloch, especially on cold winter days. Woods of Ypres and October Falls are pretty good too, but Agalloch is by far my favourite.

Shroud0fdoom and Roguer like this.
  34. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Victory Winter Cheers. Last of a six I bought two months. Tastes fruitier than more before. Nevertheless, a great pace changer for winter evening drinking

35. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,299) Oct 24, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Just opened my bottle of Fullsteam's Igor, and starting to write notes now. Goddamn this is pretty. Saude!

kell50 and Greywulfken like this.
  36. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Devotee (483) Oct 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

37. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Savant (979) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've got beer envy!

38. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,061) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

39. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

40. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,271) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I can't resist new shit like this...
    [​IMG]
    Imperial Doughnut Break

I've enjoyed all the variations of Imperial Biscotti Break (IBB) I've tried - this, the Natale, and the Bourbon Barrel Aged versions. All good. This Doughnut version has a real nice feel and taste (almost like doughnuts soaked in coffee).
    The regular IBB might still be my favorite though...:sunglasses:

#320 Greywulfken, Jan 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.