What beer are you drinking now? (August 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Aug 1, 2019.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Here ya go!

2. beertunes

Trader

having a can of San Juan Wild Hare. The label says it's both a "Hoppy Lager" and a "Experimental Lager". Shrug. Nice enough brew.

3. beertunes

Trader

4. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,039) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

In honor of National IPA Day, I am having an Eliot IPA at the Beaverton Ex Novo.*

Also: Two different Ex Novo employees came over to our table to let Mrs. vurt and I know that Mass Ascension will be on tap next week, with cans to follow later.

5. vurt

Society

* Actually, I've had two pints at this point.

6. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,446) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Had a couple of pints of Parallel 45s Ja Lager Helles., at Westside Taphouse in West Salem.not bad for a brand new brewery out of Independence, not bad at all and with Snow Peak opening last week in Stayton the Great Oregon Beer desert ( aka Salem and Mid Valley) is no more

7. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,618) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Been a while since I've had Doggie Claws, so long in fact that the style has fallen out of favor with me. Imagine my surprise, then, at finding a truly well crafted and delightful, punchy beer.

8. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,986) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

HFOD v.12.
    [​IMG]
    Super drinkable stuff.

kemoarps, jakecattleco, NWer and 3 others like this.
  9. vurt

Society

Important.

kemoarps likes this.
  10. beertunes

Trader

From earlier, San Juan Light Keeper Extra Pale.

No idea wut makes it "extra" anything:

11. woemad

Trader

I've seen that designation on fairly mellow (i.e. not west coast style hoppy) pale ales. Was that what this was?

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  12. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (434) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Celebrated IPA Day yesterday (who decides these things?) with a nice can of Fort George Cavatica Stout. Seemed just right for a 90-degree day.

13. derftron

derftron Disciple (343) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

yeah i went through a phase years ago where i really didnt like the american style barleywine and only drank the sweeter/smoother english style. so i kind of ignored DClaws for a number of years. then, about 9 months ago i ordered a glass at HotD and was really taken aback at how good it was. also bought a few vintages over the holiday season and they were all fantastic

kemoarps, DefenCorps and Lingenbrau like this.
  14. beertunes

Trader

Kinda like a thinner Murkbomb. Couldn't see through it, thin body, soft fruity hops, very low grain, kinda bland.

kemoarps and woemad like this.
  15. vurt

Society

Right now the wife and I are relaxing on the porch with some adult bevvidges. I'm having some Georgetown Johnny Utah that was canned a week ago. Crisp!

kemoarps, woemad, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  16. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,316) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

New guy from Grains of Wrath. Crypt Keeper... All Citra IPA for the "Graveyard Series". Beautiful beer with a citrus and melon punch to it, but bumming out on the little bit of butter in the mix. Cheers!

[​IMG]

kemoarps, woemad and jakecattleco like this.
  17. derftron

I keep giving GoW a chance, but can't say I've had anything that I really like from them yet. had a different beer from the graveyard series that had that "onion" taste to it

Lingenbrau and beertunes like this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

IIRC, it's Simcoe that sometimes gives off the onion aspect.

19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,031) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Doubt they're using it, but I've gotten onion attributes from Summit hops as well.

Lingenbrau, beertunes and vurt like this.
  20. vurt

Society

Summit hops are onion and garlic. *shudder*

Simcoe hops are cat pee.

sharpski, woemad and beertunes like this.
  21. beertunes

Trader

It might be Summit I was thinking of. I remember when Oscar Blues first released Gubna, the first few cans we tried were all onion, with some fish backing it up. Turrble, just turrble.

sharpski, vurt, woemad and 2 others like this.
  22. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,031) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Gubna definitely used Summit hops.

vurt, woemad and beertunes like this.
  23. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,370) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yes, but cat pee in a really, really good way. :sunglasses:

weaverr, sharpski, vurt and 2 others like this.
  24. NWer

NWer Crusader (776) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I'm wondering how you all know what cat pee tastes like.

25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

SMELLS like Larry. I have no idea what it tastes like.

I suspect you have a pretty good idea how I know what cat pee smells like.

26. NWer

NWer Crusader (776) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Correction noted :slight_smile:

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  27. woemad

Trader

Just took the lovable but highly neurotic Rocky for a stroll around the neighborhood. Now I'm chillin' on my friends' front porch with this Full Sail product. Seamus, the other critter I've been watching this week is in the background doing what he does best.
    [​IMG]

28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Drinking a glass of a new to me farmhouse ale from Freehand brewing in Eugene. Delorean nordic farmhouse ale. Quite tasty (and thankfully with no sour component in the flavor profile). Would likely order again.

Very refreshing after the coconut matryoshka and double stack I had at Arch Bridge.

kemoarps, jason_nwx, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  29. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,316) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

I am not ashamed to admit that I quite like... no, LOVE the oniony and garlicky attributes of accused hops. Maybe I'm wrong or confused (usually true) but I swear Centennial is the onion king :thinking_face:.

Which I also love.

Now having a Breakside, True Gold while the neighborhood kiddos go apeshit on the waterslide bounce house again. Cheers!

kemoarps, sharpski and woemad like this.
  30. derftron

Chores done. Enjoying this fine summer day with a Zoiglhaus / Zupans Farm to Market lager. Quite refreshing and well done.

Zoiglhaus doesn’t have a huge portfolio, but I like pretty much everything they do

31. derftron

Moving on to another warm weather favorite of mine. The classic Saison Dupont

32. vurt

Society

I just finished a pint of Fort George Lovell Lager at Orenco. Tastier than the 1811 Lager, and less sweet. Fort George lagers are kind of hit-or-miss, so this was a most pleasant surprise.

33. beertunes

Trader

Hanging with some friends, had some Atwood/Boundary Bay collab, Operation Warm. Now having a Cascade Cranberry from 2015.

34. beertunes

Trader

Now a crowler of Skookum Triple Berry Clouds, a milkshake IPA. Thanks Jenn!

35. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (474) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Started with a Sierra Nevada & Bitburger Oktoberfest. Bitburger doesn't do much for me, I usually hate 'seasonal creep,' and I don't like my festbiers in the 6% range. However, this might be my favorite SN festbier collaboration yet: The 6% isn't noticeable, SN doesn't overload the hops, festbier is one of my favorite styles so F the six-week early creep, and the beer manages to be malt-forward without being excessively sweet. That last point goes a good ways in my book, as I usually prefer the lighter, brighter festbiers to their maltier marzen counterparts. Well done, Sierra Nevada.

Then I had The Eleventh Hour hazy IPA by Matchless. Good stuff. A good deal of Amarillo, but they best hazy I've had in the last month or more has easily been the Ravenna & Chuck's collaboration - like getting my face mauled by a predatory papaya. In a kind way.

Next, a Bodhi. Never not in my fridge, and hard to find not fresh. No more double negatives. Thank you, Georgetown!

Last, went old school, and I'm working on a Dogfish Santo Marron. It's been at least five years, and I don't know if I've had a DFH beer since that time, but as it's warming up, that nice wood I remembered is still there, and the 12% is nowhere to be found. Delicious.

36. vurt

Society

I just had a disappointing pFriem beer.

That doesn't happen very often. I'm glad it was only a 4-ounce taster.

(For the record, it was the pFriem Exploratory IPA #023, an imperial IPA with Chinok, Dr. Rudi, and Mosaic, weighing in at 9.1%. And yet it was bland, and oddly unhoppy.)

37. vurt

Society

I followed up with a Sticky Hands. Which is gratifyingly delicious.

Also: I am very glad to hear the good review of this year's SN Oktoberfest from @66jzmstr. I look forward to that collab every year.

38. beertunes

Trader

After some of Daves homebrew smash (perle malt and Citra hops), now a 2012 FW Double DBA:

39. derftron

Double Mountain Viola. BA Flanders for their 12th anniversary beer.

This is a very straight forward sour cherry beer and lacks the complexity of some of the better Flanders beers I have had over the years. Usually there is a hint of cherry sweetness, and this beer does not have any.

Still a very enjoyable beer, but a BA Flanders should have more complexity

40. beertunes

Trader

Now some Reubens Ella Hazy, courtesy of Jenn.