What beer are you drinking now? (December 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Dec 1, 2019.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Piping hot fresh thread here!

2. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Devotee (482) Dec 3, 2014 Washington

Celebrating the Seahawks being in first place in the NFC West (via a 9ers loss to the Ravens) by indulging in a six pack of Great Divide Titan. I really think GD was trying to replicate a Sam Smith's IPA type feel with this one.

woemad, Lingenbrau, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  3. beertunes

Trader

Having a HotD Polka Dot. Pleasant enough, but didn't leave me craving another.

4. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (99) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Just a heads up...New Seasons has 20% off all barrel aged beers ending today. Notables are the Dark Star Varients, Abyss, Varients, among others.

I grabbed Nevermore, BBA Night Howler, and and Abyss.

5. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,069) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I don't like Sundays.

I do like this Trade War Export Stout from Bend Brewing. It's delicious.

[​IMG]

Happy December, my friends.

woemad, kemoarps, Lingenbrau and 6 others like this.
  6. beertunes

Trader

Now a Crux Play Wave. It's OK.

7. Mister_Faucher

Oh shit! Just found this pic cleaning out my hard drive.

Over the summer wifey and I went to Yakima to visit my family. My dad's side are three generations deep in the Yakima/Moxee area. Yes, that Bale Breaker's hops, yes that road is named after my family and YES Bale Breaker makes some killer brews. Watch for Sown and Grown being released.

https://www.balebreaker.com/beer/sown-and-grown-1#

https://imgur.com/83B1Gh1

woemad, kemoarps, Lingenbrau and 4 others like this.
  8. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,156) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I love the props Trade War is getting with NW BAs (along with Lucubrator, Folkvangr, and other exceptional beers in under-appreciated styles). I’m feeling like, as your Bend correspondent, I did not sound the bell early enough on this one, and vow to be louder earlier on worthwhile packaged product from Bend (the town, not just BBC).

9. Mister_Faucher

Matchless and Trapdoor down south did that IPA collab. Anybody have the 411 on that?

10. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (318) May 31, 2016 Washington

Looks like it’s called Serenity Someday.

“Two yeast pitch team up with Trap Door to deliver an INSANE amount of Dry Hopping. Brewed with Galaxy, Wakatu, H. Blanc, Topaz, & Vic Secret. It may satisfy that craving for IPA, but may not lower your blood pressure. Then again neither will yelling Serenity Now! Someday we will solve that problem.”

According to another site, it appears to be available in the wild in Western WA.

https://untappd.com/b/matchless-brewing-serenity-someday/3538006

I’m generally not into hazies, but I’ll probably try a single of that one, for science.

Tonight, I’m drinking a pint can of House Saison from Tin Dog Brewing. They make lovely saisons, but this can is either old or something went wrong with the crimp.

Also, Son Of A Baptist by Epic Brewing. Absolutely delicious coffee stout.

11. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (469) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Enjoyed a Little Beast Folkvangr earlier. Now finishing up a Rogue Red Panda IPA that I 90% bought for the red panda on the label. Solid classic west coast IPA.

12. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,730) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I remember back in the mid to late aughts, when pumpkin beers were BIG and there was none bigger than Elysian and the variety they had. At the time, I was living on the east coast and trading for them was a bit of a pain(as we are now, PNW BAs at the time were more content being lazy rather than trading). Now, I finally get around to my first Elysian pumpkin beer, Night Owl and it's tasty. And it just so happens I'm reading Watchmen and am at the part where the origin of Nite Owl is being presented.

Next up will be a New Holland Dragon's Milk. I haven't had that beer in 10 years. I wonder how it will be.

13. vurt

Society

Seeing out the long holiday weekend with a sleeping cat on my lap, and Ex Novo's new batch of Nevermore in my glass.

[​IMG]

Also listening to some new heavy gothic weirdness from French doom-mongers Öxxö Xööx. Might as well. Monday's coming and I can't stop it.

14. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (480) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Heater Allen Sandy Paws Baltic porter to go with dessert tonight.

[​IMG]

15. DefenCorps

Society Trader

As a sugar fiend, I am very jealous of your dessert plate.

66jzmstr likes this.
  16. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,065) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Seems like a good spot to share my thoughts on the beers consumed during my jaunt through Central Europe...

Hungary - There's a great beer scene in Budapest with a ton of local and regional craft breweries available in most bars. Mostly IPAs (and a lot of hazy ones) but Monyo from Budapest is doing saisons and barrel aged wild ales.

Slovakia - I was only in Kosice and the High Tatras Mountains, so maybe things are different in Bratislava, but from what I encountered Slovakia is behind the curve. Lots of fantastic macro pilsners and there were some craft breweries, again doing IPAs, but they still need some work.

Poland - Poland knows what they're doing and makes solid beer, some of the stuff I had would compare very well to beers from Oregon and Washington. Again, mostly craft IPAs and pales, some breweries experimenting with fruited sours. Some really awesome craft pilsners and Baltic porters, too. Definitely the most developed craft beer scene of the three countries I visited.

I also drank a ton of Pilsner Urquell on draft which is always a good thing.

grainbillxs, kemoarps, NWer and 7 others like this.
  17. Mister_Faucher

Lingenbrau likes this.
  18. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,541) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Happy December all. Finishing the stragglers from Thanksgiving with this bomber of Oakshire, Big Black Jack. Might be @beertunes worst nightmare.

Mine too.

[​IMG]

19. vurt

Society

No coffee in there, which tells me it's possible for that nightmare to get worse for @beertunes .

Elysian's Punkuccino comes to mind.

20. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,554) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Right now Three Magnets Dig Your Grave, to be followed by The Black Forest..16 oz both $1 from Roth's Salem close out

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and DefenCorps like this.
  21. beertunes

Trader

Finishing up a Two beers Flannel Formal, their 12th anniversary Murky. Pleasant enough, for the style.

22. Reidrover

Society

Were any of the traditional Baltic Porters still available..Okocim, Zywiec, Boss etc in Poland?

kemoarps, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  23. beertunes

Trader

Good question. I'd be interested in how these brews are, nearer to the source, compared the (sometimes) dated bottles we get.

kemoarps and Reidrover like this.
  24. Reidrover

Society

I only see Boss here now..it sells fast..i guess cheap and strong

25. Reidrover

Society

The Dig Your Grave was OK..but The Black Forest was very nice..especially for a buck

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  26. beertunes

Trader

Having a brew from Wet Coast: Handshake Agreement. Seems to be part of a collab series (says so right on the label), this one with Top Rung Brewery, from Lacey (whom, I've not heard of before seeing this today). Called a Pale, it's a murkbomb. But, a nice one; some grain, some bitterness. Worth trying if you see it. I might even grab another can.

woemad, kemoarps, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  27. vurt

Society

Finished the can of Nevermore I opened last night. Still a treat.

28. beertunes

Trader

A nice can of Everybody's Imaginary Friend. I like.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not supposed to do this here, but.... I'm sure beer was involved. At least once, and, it's one of the funniest bits I've ever heard:

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and Reidrover like this.
  29. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,065) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I didn’t see them but also wasn’t looking.

beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  30. Mister_Faucher

woemad, kemoarps, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  31. beertunes

Trader

Eh, missed the last possible bus, so....

A Boundary Bay Fest Bier.

Beer is good.

woemad, kemoarps, vurt and 4 others like this.
  32. beertunes

Trader

Had a Georgetown Meowsa ImpIPA a while ago, very, very nice. Get you some. Having a non-NW beer now.

33. DefenCorps

Society Trader

@vurt , @Lingenbrau and all the other usual suspects - there seems to be a smoked helles from Logsdon now available. It's pouring at Bailey's. Do the right thing, will ya?

kemoarps, vurt, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  34. Lingenbrau

Trader

Trying out new-to-me, Mazama Brewing, Dunkel. Decent and priced well, but not a great contender against our other local lager masters. Cheers.

[​IMG]

kemoarps, vurt and beertunes like this.
  35. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Was the cause of the missed bus the same as what followed?

kemoarps likes this.
  36. Lingenbrau

Trader

I think I will (have to. When I get another freebie night). Thanks for the heads up!

kemoarps, vurt and beertunes like this.
  37. Lingenbrau

Trader

In a strange, and extremely frustrating, yet beneficial turn of events (in my favor), my mom's partner opened this bottle. Bless his dummy soul, he thought he was grabbing another bottle of his own stupid Elysian Red. The real sin is that he mixed it with the 1/4 pint of Red he had left :confounded:. The real, real sin, is that this bottle was promised to a beer buddy of mine. Guess I'm out another $25. Cheers

[​IMG]

38. beertunes

Trader

Indirectly.

kemoarps and DefenCorps like this.
  39. beertunes

Trader

Split a growler of Georgetown November IPA. Another nice brew from these guys.

40. beertunes

Trader

Now, a growler of Land of Boz from Georgetown.

kemoarps, Reidrover, woemad and 3 others like this.