What beer are you drinking now? (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Sep 30, 2019.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,327) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

And the 10th month begins.

Well, it's October somewhere. Finishing up a Skookum Golden Days oat/rye hayzebrew:

#1 beertunes, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  2. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,398) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

This one is quite warming and rich, which I guess is a good thing on this chilly day. Still... Not much of a fan.

[​IMG]

Happy October, NWers. It's my little girls 6th birthday, so this will most likely be all you see from my dumb ass today. Cheers!

3. beertunes

Trader

Finishing up a bottle of The Ages from Deschutes. Very good. Might have to see if Bevmo has more left.

4. beertunes

Trader

Was digging through a box for a beer, and saw a Wander Black Currant Millie. Turns out, I had never reviewed it. Tick done:

5. Lingenbrau

Trader

Went to Chill N'Fill and had some Block 15, Fresh Catch followed by a Boneyard, Feels Like The Fresh Time. Boneyard for the win.

Now for some Old Town, Hopicana. Orange juice. Cheers

[​IMG]

6. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (168) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

drinking homebrew for the first time in a long time... a fresh hop pale ale with backyard hops.

normally i hate drinking homebrew but dang i did pretty good on this one. 5.5 percent crusher.

7. Lingenbrau

Trader

You know... I just can't get on board with using fresh hops in this style of IPA. It just doesn't let those flowers shine. Not hating on the style overall, just confirming my dislike for the application. Having said that, this is a pretty good beer. Cheers.

[​IMG]

8. beertunes

Trader

Finishing up a Matchless Old School Pale Ale. Fine, nothing particularly notable, but enjoyably solid:

9. beertunes

Trader

Finishing up with a couple beers that aren't released (quite yet) but I have added to the site. So, I'm ready for the tick when the time is right:

10. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (452) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Block 15’s Oud Bruin tonight. It’s fine. Acidic, a little thin. I prefer pFriem’s.

11. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

#FloodlandFriday

12. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,057) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

As long it's not super trubby/chicken stock like in nature (I'm looking at you, Ruse), I think you can do a hazy fresh hop well. You just need to figure out the balance between the crazy strong yeast and the hops. Fremont's hazy Cowiche and Head Full of Fresh Hops are great, and I even thought Fresh Hop Ripe was a good showcase for fresh hops.

sharpski and Lingenbrau like this.
  13. derftron

derftron Disciple (351) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Hair of the dog Adam from the source. Every month or two, I stop by just to have a glass of Adam or Fred. Two beers that are completely unique and have stood the rest of time. Cheers !

14. Lingenbrau

Trader

Agreed. It's a fine line to walk depending on those yeasties, but I think that's my ultimate point. A cleaner yeast allows for those hops to pop in a way the others cannot. Again, not talking shit on the style, just don't think it works as well for this application.

(*Side note: Fresh Hop Ripe is quite delicious and a good argument against my opinion.)

kemoarps, sharpski and distantmantra like this.
  15. jason_nwx

Opened up de Garde’s The Truffle today. It’s earthy, but I don’t know if it’s from the truffle or just because it’s funky.

16. beertunes

Trader

If I may, I'm going to temporarily include NorCal into the NW. Because, I'm sharing a bottle of Old Rasputin XII with a hobo. Holy shit! At 10 + years, this beer is still awesome!

kemoarps, NWer, Lingenbrau and 6 others like this.
  17. derftron

BBA Rasputin XX on tap at Johns Mkt. 12oz for $6. Lmao, awesome :slight_smile:

Also, Upright Hearts Beat on tap and a semi Modern Times tap takeover with free samples. This is truly the golden age of craft beer

18. beertunes

Trader

Following the lead of @NWer , it's #FloodlandFriday here in Bham too. Superior Stab Lupus:

kemoarps, NWer, Lingenbrau and 3 others like this.
  19. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,013) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Iron Goat's 2019 edition of Spo-Hop, a FH "community hop" IPA made with donated non-professionally grown, backyard type hops.
    [​IMG]
    Much less bitter than last year's(?) scorcher, with a flavor that is grapefuity, sweet, and a little bit vegetal. Very drinkable stuff.

20. woemad

Trader

Had a bottle of that last yr. Quite liked it.

beertunes likes this.
  21. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,457) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

You didn't drink it all, did you? Need to stop by for a glass myself.

Am now drinking a glass of Jackie O's you're in the jungle now. Good, but nothing special, and not worth the ridiculous $18 price tag for a 375 ml bottle.

Looking forward to starting tomorrow with an ongoing quest for fh beer.

22. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,673) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Their beers just don't justify their price, especially considering what's available locally.

kemoarps, John_M and Lingenbrau like this.
  23. woemad

Trader

Trickster's FH J-Box might be the best FH beer I'll have this year. This beer is legit as fuck and is barely known even within the Spokane/Coeur D'Alene area.
    [​IMG]

kemoarps, rrock44, beertunes and 4 others like this.
  24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's for sure.

Hadn't had anything from Jackie O's in a long time, and just couldn't resist the temptation. I won't make this mistake again soon (I hope).

25. derftron

I only had a glass of each. The 12% abv kicked in pretty quick

Then I progressed to Ft george FH fields of green and FH double crush. I agree with @Lingenbrau that most times the hazy/FH combo doesn’t lend itself to showcasing the hops, but I gotta say that both of those were outstanding.

26. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,346) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

I generally am not a fan of the hazies at all, but the Skookum Wet Side Connection Fresh Hop was really good. Was it because Skookum made a really good hazy, or because of the fresh hops? I dunno, but I'd have more if I see it.

27. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,055) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I am drinking an Occidental FH Pilsner at the Tanasbourne Killer Burger.

It is a little past its prime, but still quite lively.

I am so glad to be home.

kemoarps, 66jzmstr, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  28. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Savant (911) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Hey fellow NWBAs- hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Saturday afternoon!

Currently getting into my first from Wet Coast:

Wet Coast - Initiative 61 Pale Ale
    [xposted from wbaydn #2541]

Cheers!

29. vurt

Society

I am drinking Barley Brown's Fresh Hop Pallet Jack.

Yes, it IS wonderful.

30. jason_nwx

Had a Fort George Fields of Green Crosby Comet today. I liked it, but I feel like fresh hops are a little wasted in hazys (at least to my tongue) and something mites to extra boost that comes with the freshness. Disappointed FG didn’t do Fresh this year.

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and sharpski like this.
  31. vurt

Society

After the FH Pallet Jack, I had a Reuben's Festbeer. It was decent, but fell short of other examples I've enjoyed this year.

32. jason_nwx

Moved on to Deschutes Black Butte XX, a gem I scored for $10 from the Mystery Wall at Brews 4 New Avenues. Damn! Whomever donated this stored it well. Chocolate, oak, a touch of smoke, good body - its held up stellar. So glad this fell into my lap (XXI was the first one I bought), and for cheaper than it probably was new (XXI was $12 new)!

33. vurt

Society

Last Timbers match of the regular season, but maybe not the last match of the year.

And definitely not my last pint of pFriem IPA of the year.

Lingenbrau and jakecattleco like this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

My take was similar to yours. A decent beer, but I didn't feel the fh element added much to the nose or flavor equation. Would not order again.

jason_nwx likes this.
  35. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,346) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

I happened to walk by Outer Planet Brewing this afternoon. I'd never heard of them. Mrs. Vashon Guy and I had a few tasters. These guys are pretty good! Certainly worth a stop if you're on Capital Hill. Their mango sour is excellent.

By the way, The Pine Box has a great collection of fresh hop beers right now.

36. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt and I are celebrating an excellent result at Providence Park with pints of FH Pallet Jack.

[​IMG]

37. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Today, I finally found cans of the FH Pils from Occidental and Party Time from Wayfinder. I am a happy man.

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and vurt like this.
  38. DefenCorps

Society Trader

I'm quite enjoying this Party Time Pils. It is delicious and just incredible on the palate.

39. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (479) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

A crowler of fresh hop Bodhizafa while watching my Sounders lock up the second seed in the West. Both delicious!

kemoarps, Lingenbrau and DefenCorps like this.
  40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Had not realized Wayfinder is now canning (and distributing?) their party time pils. Excellent news.