What beer books have you read?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beer_beer, Sep 26, 2020.

1. beer_beer

beer_beer Disciple (386) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Physical books and e-books. They still provide a nice in-depth addition to the net. Actually I have downloaded about twenty of them from kindle. And it really looks I've started to read them.

Earlier I have skimmed a bit here and there, now reading The Cicerone® Certification Program's Introduction to Beer, by Ray Daniels & al, from page one. This book really provides the basics of the whole beer process.

Anyone wanting to share a beer book you read? :beer:

#1 beer_beer, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,469) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Here is all the ones I got on paperback. All read cover to cover. I always thought How to Brew was better than Complete Joy Of Homebrewing. More advanced levels. I also reference Designing Great beers a lot when I make new recipes. Tasting beer has made me the reviewer I am today as well. Even though I read it 4 years after I started reviewing.
    [​IMG]

3. beer_beer

Society

Nice collection! I have Tasting Beer, which probably will be a favorite. I have other books which include brewing, even if I don't have plans to brew myself, but you can learn a lot from imagining you would :slight_smile:

ChicagoJ and superspak like this.
  4. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (187) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

I have fifteen books on beer. The most significant among those would be: The Beer Bible, Tasting Beer, 1001 Beers You Must Try Before You Die, For The Love Of Hops and The Oxford Companion To Beer edited by Garrett Oliver.

5. beer_beer

Society

Way to go! I have those except for the 1001. I may guess there are at least 50 beer books out there worth a look. Will try not to overbuy, as I clearly did when into whisky. Actually reading the ones aquired is a good rule of thumb...

6. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (78) Nov 5, 2018 New York

I get a lot of library books on my Kindle, and I enjoyed Huckelbridge's "United States of Beer," which is the history of brewing in the US, and Burningham's "My Beer Year" which is part anecdotes and part non-fiction as the author studies to be a cicerone. Also Behr's "Prohibition," which isn't specifically beer-centric, but nonetheless fascinating.

7. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,141) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

ChicagoJ and beer_beer like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,833) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

After you read it you might just want to start homebrewing. :slight_smile:

How To Brew is available online if you want to get started. It's only the first edition, but it gives enough of the brewing process so that any beer lover should read it to attain a more in-depth knowledge about how beer is made. HowToBrew.com

puck1225, ChicagoJ and beer_beer like this.
  9. beer_beer

Society

Thanks, good link. My biggest problem would be to get out the ethanol of the mix, as my limit is the one of the prohibition...luckily hi-tech has come to the rescue for saving flavor in commercial NA.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,093) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

11. beer_beer

Society

donspublic and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,832) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

ChicagoJ, PapaGoose03 and beer_beer like this.
  13. PapaGoose03

Society

I was going to take a pic of my beer book collection instead of writing out the titles of all of them, but my collection is puny compared to yours.

ChicagoJ and readyski like this.
  14. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,518) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

My nephew got this for me while I was recovering from surgery last November...very well done, very current, and enjoyable read.
    [​IMG]

15. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,743) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I have quite a few beer books and I would recommend the previous ones mentioned as well. Radical Brewing is great even if you aren't a homebrewer.

One book that I really enjoy is CAMRA's Good Beer Guide Belgium. The quality of the pages and the full-color photos are excellent, but reading through the book...it's like taking a tour of Belgium. The book has all kinds of info on where to buy beer to take home with you, places to eat that have good beer, descriptions of the breweries, etc. Even if you aren't planning a trip to Belgium it's worth owning.

emerge077, ChicagoJ and beer_beer like this.
  16. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,245) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I've had numerous beer-specific related books. Some were local/regional beer destinations, but have let those go as they are pretty well dated now.

I still keep a few brewing books, my first home brewing book I bought in Frederick, MD at the Flying Barrel when I started out brewing over 25 years ago. And now an updated version (4th edition).

I have a hops book but have ripped out all my original hop plants as 1) I don't home brew as often as I used to, and 2) the rhizomes had grown together and entangled with each other to such a degree that I couldn't tell which hop plants were which.

Finally, the book I use the most is 'Beer Craft'. I like it because it focuses on small-batch, all grain brewing (i.e., one gallon batches).

[​IMG]

puck1225, champ103, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  17. beer_beer

Society

Looks to be well read :beers:

ChicagoJ and readyski like this.
  18. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,227) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I only one one, Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide, but plan on getting more library books now that they have reopened.

It's a bit old, and the newer styles are not covered, but a great resource for someone like me who is relatively new to craft (signed up here and RateBeer in 2015). Most of the beers are still around.

Many great suggestions offered so far I'd like to explore soon.

champ103, beer_beer and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,087) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The Ginger Man springs to my mind as does McCarthy's Bar. These two aren't exactly beer books, but they both rate up there in my mind with Black Elk Speaks and other greats too numerous to ponder. But drinking is the theme and Irish is the meme. If you want a vacation from this dismal world, give these books a whirl. Cheers all...

champ103, beer_beer and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. beer_beer

Society

Thanks for all the good advice so far! I have tried to read some of the ones not yet recommended, and looks I will not recommend them myself :grin:. Next!

21. PapaGoose03

Society

Okay, I changed my mind. Here's a pic.

Shakespeare's Pub was a tough read, but would be better if you're into London's history. Brewing Up A Business was also difficult, but I wasn't reading it from the learning point of view as much as the entertainment that I hoped to get from it (which just wasn't there). B is for Beer wasn't much of a read either. I should pitch it but I hate throwing books away.

[​IMG]

Foyle, puck1225, champ103 and 3 others like this.
  22. beer_beer

Society

#22 beer_beer, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  23. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Things I gave to the borrowing library at work:
    Complete Joy of Homebrewing (3rd Edition)- Papazian
    Microbrewed Adventures- Papazian
    The Brewmaster's Bible- Snyder
    The Craft Beer Bites Cookbook- Dodd
    Beer: A Guide to the World's Best Breweries and Beers- Derrick
    The Brewer's Companion- Mosher
    He Said Beer, She Said Wine- Old & Calagione

Probably some others that folks took home and never returned. These are all books that I had read through and don't reference anymore. (I only give away books once I'm 99.8% sure I'll never pick them up again.) I'll have a list of books that I still have at home once I get there.

Papazian's works are pretty outdated at this point, but they're enjoyable, and "RDWHAHB" will stand the test of time

I have a couple of other Mosher books at home, but that one offers nothing to me anymore.

The Snyder book was bought on a whim years and years ago, and didn't offer much for me then, as it was already outdated.

Dodd was a gift, and didn't offer me anything. Nice thought from the giver, though.

Derrick was part of a gift pack with some tasting glasses, bottle opener, and coasters. Nice thought from the giver as well, but the booklet offered me nothing.

Old & Calagione was a good book for a decade ago, and helped me think about pairing beer, but with how much the industry has developed, and the recognition that craft beer has gained, very outdated at this point.

24. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (455) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I will say that after reading Scott Janish' Book, The New IPA, I've made my best NEIPA to date. I haven't read the others but I'm on the 2nd read through. Definitely one of my favorites.

25. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,498) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

A couple of oddballs in my collection in addition to the usual suspects.

Sacred Herbal and Healing Beers - The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation, Stephen Harold Buhner. and it is about as offbeat and strange as it sounds, but oddly entertaining.

Historical Brewing Techniques - Lars Marius Garshol. I love his blog and the book is an extension of that. It does get a bit repetitive bemoaning the death of the true farmhouse ale, but then it goes deep into techniques that are genuine anthropology and handed down generationally. Interesting, and shows that beer can be and has been brewed in all sorts of ways with necessity often being the mother of invention.

26. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,948) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I have read a lot of them, most mentioned here. But every time one of these threads surface I feel the need to pump the book:
    The Perfect Keg: Sowing, Scything, Malting and Brewing My Way to the Best-Ever Pint of Beer. This is a good, easy, humorous read on someone attempting to brew a beer from scratch, growing his own hops, barley (malting it), and harvesting his own yeast. Nice read. I will also throw profs to Em Sauter's book mentioned by @beer_beer. She is a great illustrationist and is also doing drawings of the Cicerone Syllabus, you can follow here on twitter or check out her site https://www.pintsandpanels.com/

27. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,829) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I read a ton of literary fiction, so I haven't read all the stuff mentioned in the thread. The Michael Jackson books and just a few others are an exception for me.

This is an interesting fiction novel though, The Lager Queen of Minnesota

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42203363-the-lager-queen-of-minnesota

If we are getting into fiction, I would add...

Under The Volcano, Malcolm Lowery (Two of my favorite bars in Houston are The Ginger Man and Under The Volcano by the way ha)
    Smile, Roddy Doyle.
    I also have Roddy Doyle's new book Love, but I haven't read it yet. Apparently takes place entirely in an Irish pub with the two protagonists having a conversation, drinking Guinness. Sounds like the perfect novel for me to read for St. Patrick's Day next year (I always collect books by Irish writers for that time of year).

28. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

At home, no particular order:

Brewing Better Beer- Strong
    Brewing Classic Styles- Zainasheff & Palmer
    Farmhouse Ales- Markowski
    A Taste for Beer- Beaumont
    Porter- Foster
    American Sour Beers- Tonsmiere
    Ultimate Beer- Jackson
    The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer- Pattinson
    Michigan Breweries- Stockpole & Brooks
    Wild Brews- Sparrow
    The Brewmaster's Table- Oliver
    Richmond Beers- Morris & Johnson
    Beers of the World- Delos
    Extreme Brewing- Calagione
    Tasting Beer- Mosher
    Radical Brewing- Mosher
    Experimental Homebrewing- Beechum & Conn
    Brew Like a Monk- Hieronymus
    Brewing with Wheat- Hieronymus
    For the Love of Hops- Hieronymus
    IPA- Steele
    Designing Great Beer- Daniels
    Fermenting Revolution- O'Brien
    Cooking with Beer at 't Hommelhof- Couttenye
    Cheese & Beer- Fletcher

I think that's it

29. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (347) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Only beer book I own is Charlie Papazian homebrewing book. I remember that thing being like a bible to me for a few years.

I’ve been meaning to look for a good history of German beer book. I think the history of beer in Europe would be cool to read about. Here too, but I’m interested in how much it evolved and what stayed the same there over the centuries.

PapaGoose03, ChicagoJ and beer_beer like this.
  30. beer_beer

Society

Nice collection! I want to comment especially on Hieronymus: For the Love of Hops. It's in the Brewing Elements series which includes, surprise surprise :slight_smile:, own books on Water (Palmer), Malt (Mallet) and Yeast (White). Comprehensive stuff, think I need to get some of the basics first!

#30 beer_beer, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    PapaGoose03, MrOH, jonphisher and 2 others like this.
  31. beer_beer

Society

In the end you may be right. Looking at NA techniques online, looks to be well established. I mainly read brewing books to really understand the process, also how the guys centuries ago may have done. But doing it in practice, probably nothing beats that! Found an introduction book I will be reading: DIY Home Beer Brewing for Beginners (Tolman) https://www.amazon.com/DIY-Home-Beer-Brewing-Beginners-ebook/dp/B07Q26QNMT

#31 beer_beer, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  32. PapaGoose03

Society

Well the price is right if you have a a kindle or especially if you are a prime member. John Palmer's book (How To Brew link that I posted above) doesn't have any NA discussion, but if the DIY book leaves you with brewing procedural questions, fall back to Palmer's book for basic brewing theory and steps.

33. beer_beer

Society

Thanks, downloaded the 2017 edition to be on the safe side :beers:

34. BeerGeekExtraordinaire

BeerGeekExtraordinaire Initiate (34) Mar 6, 2020 Illinois

ChicagoJ, beer_beer and Samlover55 like this.
  35. LouB

LouB Initiate (36) Feb 16, 2020 South Carolina

Ambitious Brew - Ogle
    The Bucket List: Beer - Kennedy
    The Ale Trail - Protz
    Beer Bible - Alworth (in progress)
    God and Guinness - Mansfield

36. Samlover55

Samlover55 Champion (813) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

I am surprised that has been no mention of Josh Bernstein. He has a couple of really good ones.
    With his most recent book Drink Better Beer probably his best.
    Josh Noel's Barrel Aged Stout and Selling Out is great as well. I also really enjoyed The Brewer's Tale by William Bostwick.

*Edit, I see @BeerGeekExtraordinaire beat me to it*

37. BeerGeekExtraordinaire

BeerGeekExtraordinaire Initiate (34) Mar 6, 2020 Illinois

I really liked Barrel Aged Stout..... That book is the reason I basically only get BCBS from Goose Island

Samlover55, ChicagoJ and beer_beer like this.
  38. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,946) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Fond of this one
    [​IMG]

39. beer_beer

Society

So now I have read this and it was as good as it looked when skimming, that is: very good! It has a British twist (colour, flavour), covers with focus how a lot of the beer styles came to be and what makes them differ from each other, including covering extensively the American craft up 'til today, even speculating what to call the dry hopped lagers!

Now think I'm ready for Tasting Beer, having some knowledge under the belt...:beers:

40. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,776) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Because beer is not static I find myself drawn to magazines rather than books. They tend to stay up to date, my favorite being craft beer and brewing. They cover a lot of material and are not simply single faceted on one aspect of the industry. I also enjoy zymurgy.