What beer got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beer_pilgrim, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (675) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

probably gulden draak honestly, but I really don't remember

2. Iluvink

Iluvink Initiate (135) Aug 21, 2008 Texas

Redhook ESB ... still keep at least 12 or so on hand...and that was some 12 years ago

3. Brandonhelvie

Brandonhelvie Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2015 New York

Sierra nevada torpedo...and I still go back to it like a lost friend several times a week!

matcris likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,623) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The beer in my avatar - O'Dell Mountain Standard. Had some 6mo out of season and loved it. Tried to find it, and discovered that some beers are seasonal, which intrigued me. I started exploring craft breweries on the web, found out when it was to come out in the fall, tracked it down - and in the process finding all of the local bottle shops. Finally found it, got a 4-pack, took it home... and hated it because it was too bitter. I thought they had changed the recipe but the expert at the bottle shop explained that when I initially had it, the 6mo aging had taken the bitter edge off. That led to me seeking less bitter beers, and now I am into stouts but building my tolerance for occasional slightly bitter beers.

5. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,757) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yup- I remember those days, and God bless Merchant du Vin for all of those tasty beers that made things interesting! He was an importer, primarily, but Charles Finkel deserves to be mentioned with the likes of MJ, Fritz and Bert Grant.

6. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Meyvn (1,080) May 21, 2015 Missouri

Unibroue trios pistoles started it all.....but then stumbbled upon founders breakfast stout. All before I even knew there was beer rating website.

7. lpteague

lpteague Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 North Carolina

That's like losing your virginity to Scarlett Johansen

laketang, LittleGus, JoeBloe and 2 others like this.
  8. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (86) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

La Fin du Monde

9. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (228) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

SA..20 yrs ago..Boston Lager,Cream Stout,Scotch Ale,Honey Porter,Boston Ale..been all uphill since

10. Broanoke

Broanoke Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Virginia

Legend Brown Ale led me to Eddy Fitz. There was no going back

11. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

I kinda went through a minor beer thing a few years ago. But after a few headaches that I perhaps mistakenly associated with Delirium Tremens (the beer) and a terrible experience drinking the execrable Brother David's Triple (check the reviews), I gave it up.

This past summer was hot and I think I grabbed a Trumer or something at a party. It was...tremendously refreshing. So I started exploring pils and lagers and went from there. Additionally, and this was just as important, we went to this Michelin star restaurant in Oakland called Commis. I got the wine flight with my food and one of the dishes was actually accompanied by a beer, which tasted like nothing I had experienced before. I don't recall what I was anymore, but in retrospect it must have been a saison or the like. I got very excited.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  12. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (205) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

Bells Amber and Two Hearted.

laketang likes this.
  13. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Sam Adams -> Shiner Bock -> Josef Sailor Jubel -> Chimay GR./Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale.

14. sderenne

sderenne Initiate (125) Jul 20, 2013 California

15. Bonesaw1127

Bonesaw1127 Initiate (162) Nov 12, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

dogfish 90 minute and 120 minute plus my cousin bought me a make your own 6 pack for my 21st with some left hand fate to black and other things in it

16. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

Not really a beer, it was a book about beer which got my interest started.

My first craft beer was Aguamala's Mantarraya, an oatmeal stout.

vurt and AugustusRex like this.
  17. frothy_80

frothy_80 Aspirant (229) May 19, 2013 Missouri

I have always drank craft beer. There was always bud light and various Boulevard products, mainly wheat, in the fridge. Every friday my two roommates and I would go to the bottle shop and mix a six. Essential we were playing roulette with the beer choices, because we had no idea what these beers were. The "craft" beer in my life was born from something fun to do on Friday nights and I guess you could call it ignorance.

18. bugzy3188

bugzy3188 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2015 Minnesota

For years I considered myself to be a "beer snob" when in reality I was just a huge fan of IPAs/DIPAs, it wasn't until D-Day this year that I really started to get in to craft brew...Not sure it was the beer per say, actually, I find Darkness to be decent at best...but it was the beer community. It was a complete shock to see people with these crazy bottles just out in the open willing to share...that really made me want to get in deeper in to the scen, still a rookie but I am loving the training!

19. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,320) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

FFF GumballHead

20. malty

malty Crusader (782) Dec 16, 2003 Michigan

Pete's Wicked Ale (Malty Brown Ale) in 1992. Though the sips of (then disgusting, to my unrefined palate) of Frankenmuth Dark certainly helped clear the way, starting in 1989.

21. user785335

user785335 Crusader (749) Jul 21, 2010 Florida
    Trader

22. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

23. MadUnvi

MadUnvi Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Can't tell I'm from Wisconsin at all... Spotted Cow and Sprecher Special Amber

24. klinger

klinger Initiate (104) Oct 9, 2012 Ohio

Growing up in Schuylkill Co., PA there was only Yuengling.

25. Rosinante

Rosinante Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Massachusetts

Pete's Wicked Ale

26. Rollinghops513

Rollinghops513 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Ohio

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Porter, and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

27. FCal79

FCal79 Initiate (189) Aug 4, 2011 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada, Smuttynose, Brooklyn, and Sam Adams (my first love).

28. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

My trail started with Pete's, Henry Weinhard and maybe Smithwicks and then at a party I had a SNPA and I've been chasing the dragon ever since

deanzaZZR likes this.
  29. ChairmanMeow

ChairmanMeow Initiate (64) Apr 18, 2015 Michigan

Very similar to me, except I was down for hash bash in Ann Arbor and some friends of mine turned me on to it. Must have been 1995 or so? I had it in 22ozers with crooked labels for $5, which was a lot then. Back then I think the taste vasried from batch to batch. Also tons of sediment on the bottom. (....not that there is anything wrong with that...)

30. Jeremiah87

Jeremiah87 Initiate (130) Jul 12, 2015 Colorado

I was at a local restaurant and brewery, I tried their house IPA titled "Big Red". Assertively hoppy, piny, boasting a bold citrus hop flavor and aroma. Reminiscent of grapefruit.

Before that, I didn't drink beer for the taste. Like many of us started, I drank mass production corn and rice lager.

31. jj139

jj139 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 California

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

32. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Blue Moon and Sam Adams

33. nodder

nodder Devotee (437) Aug 9, 2013 New York

Weihenstephaner Hefe or SN Pale Ale if talking about US brews.

34. Findog

Findog Initiate (96) Nov 28, 2006 Colorado

Michelob Dark and San Miquel Dark in the 80's

matcris likes this.
  35. JamesBell

JamesBell Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 Georgia

Bell's Black Note at the Porter Beer Bar in Little 5 Points in Atlanta, GA then I realized beer could have flavor!

36. Peter_Wolfe

Peter_Wolfe Initiate (97) Jul 5, 2013 Oregon

Pete's Wicked Ale, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, and Widmer Hefeweizen, all in the late 90's. Actually, I should say they got me into beer period, since I started drinking those when I turned 21 - I never had a lager phase. A couple of years later I really got into bottle-conditioned Bridgeport IPA (~1999-2000), and I basically only drank that for 2 years. There wasn't a huge IPA selection back then.

37. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (139) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Stone's Arrogant Bastard

38. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

I used to live down the street from a Thirsty Dog brewpub in Centerville, OH. Before Thirsty Dog closed the all/they burned down. Can't point to any one offering that converted me, but the lineup as a whole let me know there was this thing called "craft beer."

39. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,073) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Trying my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was a revelation. But I didn't really get into craft until I went to the Bahamas, had a Kalik, decided that I would start collecting beer bottle caps and inevitably got into craft beers since there were so many of them I could drink and collect their beer bottle caps. And then I got hooked on the beer itself and the cap collection took a back seat. I still collect them (I have around 500 since I started back in 2011).

40. BlkZrx

BlkZrx Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2015 Indiana

Probably the 80's, Anchor Steam when I could find and afford it. Later on it was Sam Adams..

laketang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.