What beer got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beer_pilgrim, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (182) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

Actually wasn't a beer, but a brewery. Wife and I went to French Broad Brewing in Asheville many years ago. The beer, the vibe, the people, sitting by the tanks, a singer walked in with his guitar and asked if he could sing for a beer. (They do have live music 3 days a week normally)

2. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Pabst. I knew there had to be something better.

3. do_ob

do_ob Crusader (745) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Sam Adams Irish Red.

4. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Disciple (346) Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

Newcastle Brown Ale was my first "woah, beer can taste good!" experience. Boulevard Sixth Glass really opened my eyes, however.

5. MiloDropsOutofCollege

MiloDropsOutofCollege Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 Colorado

Sculpin was an eye-opening experience. The first IPA / Craft brew I ever had. I've been hooked ever since.

6. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

I started on craft since I came in late to the game and guided by a craft beer drinker. Now what got me started drinking beer at all was catching a whiff of my craft beer drinking friend's Two-Hearted from across the table, asking him if he minded if I had a smell, and thinking, "That smells good."

#326 Dravin, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  7. SailIntoTheStout

SailIntoTheStout Initiate (129) Aug 29, 2015 Michigan

8. Mnteti

Mnteti Initiate (0) May 3, 2015 Delaware

9. rodzm14

rodzm14 Initiate (195) Nov 3, 2014 Washington

Westvleteren 12 for me

10. Hugh_Malone

Hugh_Malone Initiate (38) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota

Bell's Two Hearted...started my hop addiction

11. LittleGus

LittleGus Initiate (125) Mar 13, 2008 Minnesota

Leinenkugel's Bock was the start. I'd drink it in season but stick to whatever AAL I could afford the rest of the year. Then in the lat '80s had my first Summit Extra Pale Ale. I was hooked. I'm enjoying one right now.

#331 LittleGus, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  12. Gregf51

Gregf51 Zealot (562) Jun 12, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Blue Moon to Black and Blue. That turned into black and everything. In 06 I stated to buy random six packs. I found 6 craft beers were better than any 12+ of any light beers(bud, miller coors)

13. ccbegg

ccbegg Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2012

Augsburger, especially the dark and bock versions in the early 80's

14. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (916) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

Spaten Optimator, spring 1989, purchased at the Bread Box Beverage Barn on Islington Street in Portsmouth, NH. Quite a departure from the Golden Anniversary and Old Milwaukee I was drinking/pounding/funneling by the barrel full at Theta Chi Zeta Chapter (UNH).

15. cozmo

cozmo Disciple (310) Jun 30, 2006 New York

16. HillbillyBlood

HillbillyBlood Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 West Virginia

The same thing that got us all into craft beer. BMC

pjbear05 likes this.
  17. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,221) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Oh man, I haven't thought about St. Stan's in ages. I loved the St. Stan's Dark. Wonderful beer back in the day.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  18. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,221) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Man, I started getting into good beer back in the 80s, and that's a long way back. So far back that "craft beer" wasn't a thing. There was beer, and there was imported beer.

When I was in college and decided that I liked beer, I enjoyed Guinness Extra Stout because it was big and chewy and a little sweet, and was about as far as you could get from plain old American lager. I also drank my share of regional lager, mostly Coors Extra Gold and Herman Josephs.

European imports were well known to be "better beer" back then, but they were too expensive for my broke college self. I thought Bass Pale Ale was really good because of that slight toffee character and nutty flavor it had back in the 80s. Watney's Red Barrel was weird: smelled and tasted like unbaked bread dough. Heineken Dark was a tasty beer back in the day.

Anchor Steam was pretty much the first American beer that I liked as much as those English imports.

Through the 90s, Samuel Adams kept up my interest in "microbrew" beers, mostly because they kept coming up with all those different styles, and they were agreeably priced. Scotch Ale, Honey Porter, and Double Bock were my favorites, although that Golden Pilsener was quite tasty too.

In 1994 I made my first trip to England, where I fell in love with real ale. The texture and nuanced flavor were a revelation. Even more so were the countless pints of Dogbolter strong dark bitter I drank at various Firkin pubs on that trip. The closest thing I can compare it to is Theakston's Old Peculier, but it was better and fresher and maybe a little bit stronger.

So which was the beer that got me into this? Guinness? Bass? Anchor Steam? Sam Adams? Dogbolter? Fuller's ESB?

I'm not sure it was any of those. There weren't a lot of "life-changing" beers back then, but there were definitely "better" beers, and all of these played a part in turning me into the beer geek I am today.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

I live in Maine. Started with Allagash White. Pre allagash it was Shipyard and neighbouring Sam Adams and Harpoon.
    After Allagash, I discovered Maine Beer Company and life hasn't been the same since! Then stumbling upon Bissell brothers, foundation and man, need I say any more...

20. NanookinTexas

NanookinTexas Initiate (79) Jul 5, 2015 Texas

I suppose in one way, it may be Sam Adams Boston Lager, about 10 - 12 years ago when I was BIG into cigars, wine, single malts and the like. I discovered Boston Lager was/is great paired with a fine cigar! Then I went "cold turkey" on all of it - cigars, wine, single malts, all of it!

Then this past April I read an article on MarketWatch about a single malt Odin Scotch released in commemoration of the 5th season of Game of Thrones. Didn't get the Odin. I clicked a link in the article leading to another article about Ommegang's Game of Thrones Three Eyed Raven. Sought it out and drank my first bottle. WOW! Very good brew! So I suppose, in reality, Ommegang is what really got me into craft.

Since April I've had so many GREAT brews, from many brew houses, I'm losing track. Time to keep a hand written dossier to keep tabs on all these.

Cheers!

21. thevillagebum

thevillagebum Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2015 California

I had a business class where we read Ken Grossman's autobiography, after this I started drinking Sierra Nevada. The first one I loved was Summerfest.

22. stpaul

stpaul Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2015

Abita Triple Haze

23. Bassnut54

Bassnut54 Initiate (57) May 24, 2015 Missouri

Fat Tire back in the late 90's. I drank some George Killian's Irish Red back in the early 80's and that is when I realized there was other beers besides Bud and Busch.

24. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Devotee (468) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

25. BillErickson

BillErickson Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I would have to say it was Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA, quickly followed by Founders All Day Session IPA...

26. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

27. GMan310

GMan310 Aspirant (228) Aug 10, 2014 California

New Castle And Red Stripe

28. Aestro

Aestro Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Oregon

Young's Oatmeal Stout was the first "oh, that's good" beer. It was a combination of Cascade's Sang Noir and Hair of the Dog's JIM on the same night that blew my mind and kicked it from an occasional spare drink to posting on beeradvocate.com at 1:30am.

29. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,843) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

It was a quick slippery slope... First BMC (macro pilsners), then Guiness. Had my first BCBS in 2008 and I never drank another macro pilsner again. After that lots of different New Glarus beer. Then I started trading

30. ThomasJ25

ThomasJ25 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

Victory Hop Devil

31. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Friend had both 90 Minute and Old Rasputin in the fridge in college when I was used to Sam Adams or Guinness being adventurous. They slowly flipped me.

32. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Disciple (372) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio

For me it was Michelob. They used to produce variety packs with different styles. Porters. Reds, rye ale, heffe's to name a few.

33. MitchIPAGuy

MitchIPAGuy Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Virginia

Started with Pete's Wicked, SA Boston Ale, and Saranac

34. BryanP

BryanP Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Natty Greene's Southern Pale Ale

35. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 North Carolina

Bell's Two Hearted, and still my go to IPA when purchasing in a grocery store

36. earljones199

earljones199 Devotee (474) Mar 22, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

37. dannycohen62

dannycohen62 Defender (635) Nov 17, 2013 Illinois

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

38. toddlikesb33r

toddlikesb33r Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Washington

Black Butte Porter, followed closely by Old Rasputin.

39. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Pete's Wicked Maple Porter. RIP.

40. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (890) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

SNPA and then Arrogant Bastard really opened my eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.