What beers do you feel are overrated/overhyped?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chuck2319, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Chuck2319

Chuck2319 Initiate (98) Apr 13, 2017 Arizona
    Trader

I searched the forums to make sure this wasn't posted in a while (not since 2015), so here goes; I recently traded for a beer that carries quite a bit of hype and the world class ratings to boot. After digging in, I was underwhelmed and relatively unimpressed. Maybe I became a cicerone overnight without taking an exam? Maybe I expect too much? Or, maybe the beer just isn't as good as the hype-train would lead one to believe/expect? Either way, I wanted to hear stories from others that have had a similar experience. Cheers!

5thOhio and beertunes like this.
  2. SpruceFish

SpruceFish Aspirant (210) Jan 18, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Any beer that people claim have a "secondary value" over $50

3. Chuck2319

Trader

well, that encompasses quite a few then :wink:

4. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (351) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I just recently had Dinner from Maine from a buddy who went to Maine and was nice enough to bring some back. Had a beer share and made sure to drink that first so my palate wasn't a mess and...was not impressed. I know I'll get blasted but I've enjoyed other Maine stuff more. Maybe went in too hyped its a 4.63avg on Untappd but eh..was good won't say it wasn't but 4.63?

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Anything Prarie, they're ok, I don't think they're really all that special. An ok beer is worth half their cost at best, not $10.

6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I think NEIPAs are overhyped as a style. Is there a reason you don't want to name the beer you traded for?

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Considering some Evil Twin bottles cost $40 off the shelf, that's not a bold statement for some.

8. Chuck2319

Trader

I was waiting for someone to ask LOL! It was FoB4

9. Chuck2319

Trader

I don't think NEIPAs are overhyped, BUT, I do feel that it's very difficult for one to stand out from the crowd. here in Chicago, we have tons of breweries making amazing NEIPAs. Similar to my FoB4 being overhyped, the 2 TH IPAs I've had were also a bit of a letdown.

10. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (351) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Fundamental Observation is a beer I have really wanted to try

11. Chuck2319

Trader

It's good, just don't pay/trade through the nose for it. There are shelfies here in Chi I like better :confused:

12. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,373) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Pilsner Urquel - it’s good on a summer evening just not worthy of all the hype.

Trappiste Rochefort 10 - pretty damn good but St Bernardus 12 kick its ass.

Most if not every Cantillon - again I like 3F better for a similar price.

Chimay Bleue - I like their triple better.

Etc...

nc41, edward_boumil, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

There is a bit of sameness. I love Resident Culture beers , and I had fresh hop Hop Brain on tap at the brewery and I bought a few cans, I preferred the canned versions. Kinda surprised me, the taste was there but the head was dead, could be the way they sanitize perhaps. But most of the beers I brIng home I Like the canned version a bit more.,

ben4unc and brutalfarce like this.
  14. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (252) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Ooohh, I’ll have to re-assess this head to head. I have to say that I buy Rochefort 10 5 to 1 over St. B.

15. Chuck2319

Trader

Good to know!!!

Hoppsbabo, brutalfarce and Shanex like this.
  16. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,373) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Both are great - preference goes for St. B

OP: feels like my post above was more along the line of the controversial beer opinion thread.

17. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

My first sip of FO floored me so hard I thought I was sitting next to Tupac.

18. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (927) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Most BBA beers.

bret717, PatrickCT, 5thOhio and 5 others like this.
  19. BeanBump

BeanBump Devotee (449) Dec 14, 2016 California

Id agree with Cantillon. Good stuff, not worth $60 per bottle.

20. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (870) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Got to try Morning Delight at GABF last year. Coffee Maple Achromatic from Weldwerks blew it away on nose and flavor.

21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,519) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Agree with Morning Delight.

22. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

For a bomber or 750ml? The most i've paid is $55 for a Magnum of St Bernardus 12, and i only paid that because it's basically 5 glasses of my favorite beer in a really neat bottle.

LuskusDelph, brutalfarce and nc41 like this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Rochefort 10 for me as well! Ages better, too- that beer with like 5 years on it is something special.

Neither of them beats Pannepot Reserva, though :stuck_out_tongue::sunglasses:.

Shanex, Scottie_A25, rozzom and 6 others like this.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Any of the Murkbombs. The beers have proven to be low on flavor and personality. Highly rated by folks who grew up on "juice" boxes, and not actual juice.

#24 beertunes, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Ooooh, can I shoe horn myself into this stereotype? I enjoy a well made NEIPA. And two of my three children were born after juice boxes were invented.:grin:

26. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Although I think the popularity of NEIPAs, Milkshake IPAs, and super fruited goses is bordering on ridiculous, pastry stouts have to take the cake. Pun very intended. Especially when we're talking about the BBA ones, as the price tends to go up exponentially. If I wanted a spiced booze bomb, I'd just chug Captain instead of drinking beer.

27. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,132) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

"Murkbombs" - That's funny and quite apt.

I might be waaayyy wrong, but I'm under the impression that a craft beer fan of, say 15 years ago, would drainpour a 'murkbomb' on sight and would be astounded that somebody would brew such a thing on purpose.

28. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Probably, as murky beer is a sign of poor brewing techniques. Notice that I said "murky" and not "hazy".

Even though I'm aware of the science behind them, I STILL think that making the clearest beer possible is ALWAYS the best practice. It just so happens that sometimes the clearest beer possible is still pretty hazy.

29. beertunes

Trader

Agreed. And yet, here we are. The damn things sell $20-ish a 4pack.

SFACRKnight and brutalfarce like this.
  30. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (131) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

My best examples are in line with others' here. Agree with OP on FO but was batch 3 for me. Also agree with Mornin Delight which I had batch 4 of. Ironically I only had FO by trading one of my MDs. Lol

dukeandduke and brutalfarce like this.
  31. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (391) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I don't think I've been very happy with any bomber over 25 bucks or any 12 oz bottle over 6 or 7. At a certain point, I just don't feel the extra money buys that much better of a beer for the styles I enjoy.

32. Harrison8

Society Trader

I've seen some of the big name US online beer stores sell Fou Foune for $95 to $125. I think the more standard bottles fetch around $30 to 60 depending on how much mark-up the retailer opts to take. Magnums of Cantillon can go up quickly from there. $30 seems to be the starting point for 750mL bottles and the MSRP, but kinda like rare bottles of Pappy van Winkle, very few stores will charge the suggested retail since they can easily grab some extra cash by charging more.

For what it's worth, their flagship 750mL bottles sell for about 10 to 15 Euros at their brewery. It's possible that more limited bottles like Fou Foune sell for 20 Euros, but regardless, we're talking a massive mark-up once they leave Cantillon's walls, and an even bigger mark-up when they cross the ocean and reach American soil.

I've seen 375mL of flagship Cantillon beer selling for 20 Euro just around the corner from the source.... Yikes.

33. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I think their IPAs are pretty overrated, and their sours and wild ales are decent. But I can’t hate on the majority of their stouts. I’ve enjoyed almost every one of them.

Same with Jackie O’s. Not impressed by their hoppy stuff, but damn their stouts and wild ales are on point.

I definitely wouldn’t label either overrated entirely, but I can see where you’re coming from.

34. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

OMG, it took twelve entire minutes for someone to make it about NEIPA's.

35. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,895) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

How was this "proven"?

eppie82, jrc1093, DJturnstile and 6 others like this.
  36. beertunes

Trader

Circumstantial evidence. They seem to generally be more popular with folks closer to the legal drinking age, than with folks who have been drinking beer for decades. Trends and fads most generally start with the younger folks and migrate up the age scale.. what do you suppose was the lunch boxes and fridges of folks who are now in the 21-31 y.o. age bracket, orange juice or Five Alive?

Lone_Freighter and brutalfarce like this.
  37. scream

scream Meyvn (1,124) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I am amazed that there has not been more mention of other well known beers. We all have different palates and beers that work for us whether or not they do for someone else or not.

Therefore I give you my top 2 over=hyped beers. I think they are both decent but not worthy of the adulation they get.

1. Pliny the Elder
    2. Bell's Two Hearted

Both are decent but...

Now I will duck and await the responses.

:sunglasses:

LuskusDelph and brutalfarce like this.
  38. Junior

Junior Defender (624) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

For me it was Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. Luckily i also picked up some of their other stout's, which I found much better.

39. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (295) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I think NE IPAs are really good, but too many people focus on them being the end all of craft beer, and they're really not.

I enjoy a bit of "weight" behind my beer that the NE IPAs lack sometimes. So it's a nice appetizer but usually a big barrel aged stout or something is definitely the main course.

As far as completely overrated beers go I would go with Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. Yes it's fun to try or have as a one off once or twice a year, but it is nothing I would seek out on a regular basis. I usually pick one single bottle up around the holidays. My store actually had a fresh shipment of it last week and I walked past it without even considering it.

Regular BCBS is pretty overrated too honestly. It's alright, but pretty expensive. If you live in the midwest region Black Note comes out at the same time and you get 4 bottles of better beer for $24.99 as opposed to 1 bottle for $11.99. I'm sure on the west coast and NE the same holds true for other beers. I usually pick one up just for picking it ups sake but I won't kill myself if I can't find it this year.

#39 cmiller4642, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  40. Harrison8

Society Trader

Pliny is the second beer I pursued when I started trading (BCBS was the first, and it hit the target right). Pliny the Elder was also my first bottle share. I invited over a close friend who also wanted to try Pliny the Elder. We popped open that awkward bottle size, made our pours, and then sipped. I think it took us a minute or two of silence, contemplation, and eventually realization, before we both started talking again, and we agreed right off the bat, "it's good, but not the damn good" we had heard about it.

Still, I'd love to try it again, but it was my first disappointment within beer.

I do order Two Hearted when I'm at a new bar and I don't fancy trying anything new. Good standard beer there, as is Pliny. Neither are beers I'd base a trade on at this point though.