What beers outshine their variants?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Oh_Dark_Star, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Meyvn (1,167) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I'm sure this has been a thread before, but not since I've been active in the forums...
    What beers do you enjoy (or used to when they were around) that have variants that cannot touch the original.

For me, I loved Ballast Point Even Keel for my summer hoppy session, then Mango Even Keel swooped in and replaced it on the shelves. It sold better but I have no idea why. Yuck.

Most recently I took two days to crack my Deconstructed Bomb! four pack that I'd been coveting during a brief bottle aging period. $40 of let-down there IMO. Would have rather drank four standards over the same period in hindsight. Otherwise BA Bomb is not too bad but the others don't hold a candle.

2. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

Epic Big Bad Baptist

3. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Aspirant (212) Apr 5, 2008 New York

4. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Regular Two Hearted destroys Double.

5. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (64) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

Left Hand Milk Stout

6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Bourbon County Brand Stout.

7. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (4,388) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Free Will Ralphius.

Vitacca and JediMasterLenin like this.
  8. Glider

Glider Zealot (529) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

You like the regular better than the barrel aged? Seems to be a minority opinion.

alucard6679 likes this.
  9. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (225) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Ballast Point Sculpin
    FW Velvet Merlin (not counting Velvet Merkin, that's a different beast)
    Left Hand Milk Stout (nitro should be a draft thing IMO)
    Stone Smoked Porter (Miss it, and I liked the vanilla version but it wasn't prominent enough to really make too much difference for me)
    Stone original pale ale and original Ruination were better than anything current
    SKA Modus Hoperendi (I liked the Mandarin, bit original was better)

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

11. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (90) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Deschutes The Abyss

12. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (488) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I really enjoyed NB Ranger but have never taken to the replacement Voodoo Ranger. NB recently released a sampler pack with Ranger in it. Still hits the spot for me. I wish they would make it a regular again.

nw2571 and beertrip like this.
  13. alert

alert Initiate (23) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

I like the original better than the High West version. Personally I don't see the appeal of throwing everything into barrels but that seems to be a minority opinion these days as well.

Kb024, officerbill, stevepat and 6 others like this.
  14. alert

alert Initiate (23) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

Have you tried Christmas Bomb or Birthday Bomb? All four of the Deconstructed pack are the four weakest Bomb! variants imo. Some of the other variants are rather good.

dukeandduke and drunkenmess like this.
  15. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (201) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Could not agree more about Even Keel.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale

17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Orval and Duvel

18. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (996) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Weldwerks Juicy Bits (over all other variants)

19. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sculpin and Yeti came to mind immediately. The non-nitro LH Milk Stout from bottles is way better than any of its siblings to me, too.

I don't necessarily know any examples off the top of my head, but I feel like tossing [random big stout] into a spirits barrel doesn't make it better. Especially if said barrel is rum or if the beer was boozy to begin with. It can, but often the assumption is that it will. I'd say it doesn't more often than it does.

20. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,265) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agreed here. The original is better than the 4 cask aged variants.

tylerstubs, Bitterbill and zid like this.
  21. narddawg314

narddawg314 Initiate (158) Feb 6, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Brandy Barrel Aged being the exception. That beer was incredible.

Abraxas is my vote. Regular Abraxas is even better than BAA if you factor in the price and availability.

AllOfTheCats likes this.
  22. zid

Society Trader

Compared to Green, Petite?

23. drtth

Either. Both. Or other Belgian Pale Ale currently on the horizon.

24. zid

Society Trader

Wait. Are you just being cute? I honestly can't tell. :wink: Did you pick those brands because they are singular/iconic or did you pick them because you've had Green Orval, Duvel Single, etc? Just looking for clarity.

25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Saison Dupont >Dry hopped.

bubseymour and tylerstubs like this.
  26. zid

Society Trader

Off the top of my head, this is my favorite example of a "variant and base" on the market. Both are just so good and beers I'd buy forever. Push comes to shove, I'd probably pick the regular too. Their standard saison was originally dry-hopped and the current variant was a bit of a return to that.

ichorNet and Bitterbill like this.
  27. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (41) May 15, 2018 Virginia

If a 'double' is considered a variant then pretty much any beer that has a 'double' version, I almost always prefer the 'single' versions. I've never had a fruited IPA that I thought was better than the non-fruited version.

If Founders FIS or FBS is the base for KBS and/or CBS, I'd take FIS/FBS every time.Not a fan of most beers aged in spirit barrels.

sharpski and dennis3951 like this.
  28. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (701) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Extra Extra Juicy Bits is delicious but I agree generally.

29. drtth

Being cute not at all. What leads you to infer that?

Picked them for a variety of reasons. While I've not sampled the Petite (Green) Orval since I didn't make it to the Abbey on either of my visits to Belgium, I do know folks who have and they've given me some nice descriptions of the differences. Orval itself? Multiple bottles at multiple ages. It's easily 3-5 different beers depending on bottle age.

Duvel? Of course. Duvel Single (Green) sure, multiple times as well as several of the Triple Hop variants.

zid likes this.
  30. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,076) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Scotty Karate by a million.

31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Hardywood Gingerbread Stout... I enjoy a plain jane GBS or Xmas Morning over all of the variants. I'll try the variants, but historically I've always referred the original.

Prince_Casual and drtth like this.
  32. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (455) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

My immediate thought when I read the thread title

33. zid

Society Trader

@SierraTerence - Does Sierra Nevada still produce the "draught syle" SNPA. If so, is kegged SNPA typically the standard beer or the draught style?

jesskidden and Bitterbill like this.
  34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Scotty Karate vs. the barrel aged version? (I don't know if any other variants.) I agree 100%, and that's the only BBA beer that I've ever had where I can say the barrel aging did the base beer no good. (Well except for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout which doesn't even have a distributed base beer anyway.)

35. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,145) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Prairie Bomb! is excellent, BA Bomb! overpriced /hyped and the barrel did not do alot on this stout.

Oh_Dark_Star and Bitterbill like this.
  36. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

As far as I know it’s still the draught style. When I visited the brewery in NC they had both on tap and said it was the only place that served SNPA on tap. Did a side by side not much different from each other. The draft was a bit lighter.

SierraTerence, zid and Bitterbill like this.
  37. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Aspirant (212) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Much better. I find High West to be a massive overplay. I enjoy barrel aged beers and actually enjoy whiskey quite a bit itself, but in this beer the bourbon barrel is overpowering and I cannot recognize the base beer at all.. What hits me, hard, in that beer is that they could have dumped anything dark in the barrels and the beer would taste the same.

38. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Yep, and didn’t personally care for them although I know they have a following.

alert likes this.
  39. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Oh agreed! That brandy barrel was a complete surprise to me compared to all the others!

40. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,076) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Yes that is exactly what I mean. Considering how much I enjoyed Scotty Karate, I thought the BA version was going to blow me away. But it wasn’t that good.

PapaGoose03 and 2mrhungry1 like this.