What do you do with beer caps?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by singletary, Aug 8, 2016.

1. singletary

singletary Defender (627) Nov 8, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member

I made a board of all the beer caps that I have drank over the last year. It has 108 bottle caps with each being a different one. Wondering what other people do with their caps? I an now trying to save enough to do a top of a table.
  2. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (44) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

Garbage for me. Seems cool what you're doin' but for me, the only thing I treasure is the Liquid goodness passing through my lips down into the eternal abyss that I call my stomach. :grinning:
    LA_Hue24, redleg64, beerbooks and 5 others like this.
  3. schteve

schteve Aspirant (217) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

Further down in this forum are a couple of recent threads with people showing off their handiwork. Check'em out!
    beerbooks likes this.
  4. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,603) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I used to save them and give them to the kids. I still have a small box full in storage. Now, they go into the recycling bin...
    dcotom likes this.
  5. singletary

Premium Member

Thanks I will check it out.
  6. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (355) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Magnets, great for the fridge. Wife hangs way too much stuff so they're handy to her and aesthetically pleasing to me
  7. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (712) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I make mine into magnets. I glue a small piece of wood to the underside of the caps, and then glue a small magnet to the wood. This extends the rough edge of the caps away from whatever surface I am putting them on. My wife "let's me" put them on our metal fire escape door, and she actually likes to play around with them and arrange them artistically. Here are a couple photos of my more boring current configuration and the underside of the caps.

8. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

[​IMG] I also put mine on boards with screws and velcro. (This picture is a few months old; the board on the far right is almost full now and l have about two hundred more to add...)
  9. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

singletary... post a picture of your caps!! How are you mounting them to the board?
  10. singletary

Premium Member

I have not been able to get a picture to load, you can see on my facebook page. I used craft glue to Mont on a cork board. I am save some caps to put on a tabletop and have started a second board of caps.
    SirBottlecap likes this.
  11. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (2,250) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio

Awesome! I have mine in water jugs from cooler and have dubbed them
    "liver damage".
    Lone_Freighter and SirBottlecap like this.
  12. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,135) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

I create magnets with my caps and stick them on the underside of the heat ducts that run along the ceiling of my man cave. There are around 3,400 of them so far, and I'm about done.
    SYLTE, joshdaut, Shanex and 16 others like this.
  13. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,580) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I keep mine in a large glass jar in anticipation of future projects. I also keep my wine corks in a large cork cage in anticipation of future projects.
    singletary likes this.
  14. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (748) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

Wow some of you are creative. I'm just another dummy trashing them.
    beerbooks likes this.
  15. srgehl

srgehl Initiate (176) Oct 22, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

16. TT99C5

TT99C5 Initiate (122) Nov 23, 2016 Indiana

I save each unique one I come across, been looking for a project to do with them. As of right now they are tacky taped (stuff used for sealing materials for vacuum forming) to a board I had laying around. My thought eventually will be to lay them out on a table top then clear epoxy them AS the table top. Eventually. I think.
    beerbooks and singletary like this.
  17. AndyCapper

AndyCapper Initiate (22) May 6, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

I'm very pleased to see that your displaying a good selection of crown caps from the UK - cheers!
    ShetlandJon likes this.
  18. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,284) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I make magnets out of the originals and put all the repeats in jars on display.
    Lone_Freighter likes this.
  19. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (70) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I save them in a medium flat rate USPS box on top of my beer fridge and occasionally send them to someone on BA that collects them. Before that they went in the trash.
  20. jpstodwftexas

jpstodwftexas Initiate (117) Jan 1, 2017 Texas

Like others glue Magnets to them
  21. F_Amor

F_Amor Initiate (124) Aug 12, 2015 Texas

I had mine in shoe boxes for a long time. I decided they were going in the trash unless I could find a decent way to display them. I went to Lowe's to see if corner moldings might work as a small shelf - not really. I then noticed sheetrock corners. They come in plastic (what I used) or galvanized steel. You can get a 8 foot piece for about $4. Each piece holds several hundred caps without you having to do anything to the caps. These shelves work well for odd-sized caps too, like caps with pull-tabs, caps on top of corked Belgian bottles, etc.
    #21 F_Amor, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  22. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (79) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

What is the red one with the devil on it?
  23. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (79) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

We have a bunch of magnets and my brother made us some nice coasters with some cork on the back( caps 3x3 in a square).
  24. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (712) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

In the middle photo on the left hand side? That is the regular Trou du Diable cap. Good Brewery is in Shawinigan Quebec

25. jesus_man

jesus_man Initiate (132) May 8, 2015 Illinois

Subscribed. I have made magnets out of the few unique and favorites, but have been collecting for some project! Some of you guys have an amazing collection.
  26. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (70) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I just gave a local guy a medium flat rate box full of caps to decorate his bar top with.
    NABS and Beer_Economicus like this.
  27. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,007) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

I carefully remove mine so there is no opener dent. I wash and dry them and throw them into zip-lock bags. When I work a beer fest, I throw the bags on the counter for anyone to take. This year I'll also have a bag or two of corks.
    NABS, ajfa531, woodychandler and 4 others like this.
  28. Jerseyislandbeer

Jerseyislandbeer Meyvn (1,215) Jan 26, 2014 Jersey

Just been sorting & cleaning my collection of different beer caps - total of 408 from nearly 10 years of drinking different bottles, with plenty more to be added once I get around to drinking the beers in my garage.
    Been thinking about plans for them - going to mount then in 1320mm x 798mm sized frame using wooden disks & fix it on the wall in my hall (or study when the wife protests long & hard) I work out there's room for 1215 different caps - got to have plenty of room for expansion!
  29. joshdaut

joshdaut Aspirant (263) Jun 3, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My girlfriend actually just got me a Bottle Cap Shadow Box for my birthday, so I've been using that. Still have a long way to go until it's completely filled.
  30. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (298) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Filling a bottle cap map of Oklahoma currently. About half way through.
  31. singletary

Premium Member

Wife got me one of Mississippi that I am filling with caps from brewery from here and surrounding states.
  32. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (222) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

[​IMG] My wife makes Christmas trees out of them and sells them on Etsy. If anyone has a good, multicolored collection that they don't want and are in the Boston area let me know, we might take them off your hands. [​IMG]
  33. singletary

Premium Member

That is very clever. Would never have come up with idea.
  34. ShetlandJon

ShetlandJon Initiate (117) Aug 11, 2017 Scotland

I'm currently in the process of gathering caps to make a table top with. I'm looking about 1500 caps total for it, and currently have about 500 or so, so I have plenty of drinking to do yet!

My duplicates are currently being stored and displayed in a big fancy glass vase/bottle my now ex-gf bought me for that very purpose.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  35. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (632) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

I bought some large metal letters at the Hobby Lobby and some magnets. Than I glued the magnets onto the caps put the caps on the letters and spelled out Beer looks really good but my wife says it does not match the theme of the house so I ended up putting it in a room that nobody uses.
    Redrover, zekeman17, schteve and 2 others like this.
  36. kegeratorexpert

kegeratorexpert Initiate (105) Aug 5, 2017 England

My wife makes crafts at home using caps.Some caps will be thrown in dustbin.
  37. nater919

nater919 Defender (667) Aug 26, 2016 New York

I have encased bottle caps in clear acrylic to make coasters, or more accurately coaster. I made one, and it came out pretty good but I have been too lazy to make anymore so now all of my caps are crammed into a jar probably never to see the light of day again, but I still keep saving them.
    ShetlandJon likes this.
  38. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (263) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

I'm saving all of my primarily red, blue, white, and yellow ones and once I collect enough my plan is to arrange them on a cork board in the design of the Colorado state flag, frame it, and hang it on the wall.
    sharpski, ajfa531, ManBearPat and 4 others like this.
  39. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (188) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

I'm storing them in an old Bookers box. Once its full im gonna do something with them
  40. jesus_man

jesus_man Initiate (132) May 8, 2015 Illinois

I like that!!! A lot of my caps are from Belgium - wonder if I could pull that one off? But a CO flag would be killer!
    ICTguy21 likes this.