What do you do with the empties?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMistress, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Ohio

I also recycle but more efficiently by refilling them with my homebrew! When I get too many it is time to brew more beer!!!!

Cobudzin likes this.
  2. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,022) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Bar fights and smash them on the sidewalk.

I do wish I could recycle them though. Our recycling trailers take everything but glass, and I get rewarded with a flat tire anytime I try to go to local scrapyard.

russpowell and meanmutt like this.
  3. Mojo

Mojo Champion (804) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama

Choice few set up in the kitchen window sill on display, occasionally rotated out and recycled, when something new strikes my fancy. Right now my rare bottles are a KBS, Wicked Weed Bretticent, and a Weeping Radish IPA. Others are recycled.

4. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I recycle all of my beer bottles and cans. The only thing I save are 5
    liter mini kegs.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Sadly, we don't have a bottle deposit here in WA, so they all just go in the recycling. All those hours of graphic deign effort in the trash, wonder how they feel about that?

6. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,112) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I keep bombers and cans that I've never had before to display on shelves in my basement. The rest go into the recycling bin.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  7. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Disciple (359) May 7, 2014 Florida

Keep just about one of everything. My closet is getting full though... So I have cut back. I display the best ones in my living room.

8. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Redemption, I get my $0.05 back. Every nickel counts for this habit.

9. whymusti

whymusti Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Michigan

Trade them in for more beer. Good old .10 bottle return in Michigan. Host a few nights of poker and and youve got $12.00 at least towards something tasty.

Cobudzin likes this.
  10. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,741) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

1) Give them to friends who are home brewers, 2) give the swing tops to neighbors who make herbed vinegar, 3) give the one's with cool labels or cool bottle designs to a neighbor who makes them into candles, 4) put a candle in the bottle and make drip candles with grandchildren, and 5) recycle.

11. horsehockey

horsehockey Aspirant (204) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so all bottles from 4 Hands brewery I keep for home brewing. Their bottles are identical to the empty bottles I bought for my first home brew. I like uniformity in my beer production. Other bottles get tossed.

12. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Zealot (589) Sep 15, 2012 California

I keep one of every unique beer I've drunk and have them all displayed in my Man Cave- probably somewhere around 500 of them. I recycle all the rest.
    I also have about 50 Pliny bottles artistically stacked on top of the beer fridge in there, which I call my 'Pliny Shriney'!

PorterPro125 and Rochefort10nh like this.
  13. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Defender (663) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

Ahh, Michigan...the land of 'forced' bottle returns.

If it wasn't for the deposit, they'd be recycled from my cube. Instead, they are all washed extensively so they can sit inside a box to take to the bottle shop during a break from work.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  14. MammothTarantula

MammothTarantula Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

I generally recycle the bottles, but I've got about 250 labels I (read: my wife) intend to collage on a coffee table

DeepBrew and PorterPro125 like this.
  15. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

I recycle most of them, but the really good bombers I keep so that, on weekends, I can take them down to Michigan Ave, smash the bottom halves off against the corner of a building, and wave the jagged remains menacingly at tourists until they run away screaming, or maybe throw their wallets and/or phones to me. You know, give them a bit of that "big city experience" so they have a nice story to tell their friends when they go home. Because I'm a giver.

Canada_Dan, meanmutt and DrunkAl like this.
  16. Icarus

Icarus Initiate (127) Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

Recycle some, save some, and use some for pellet gun practice.

seakayak likes this.
  17. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

I'm torn on this, right now I'm considering decorating on top of my kitchen cabinets with what I think are cool bottles. The problem is that I don't want my kitchen to look like a 21 year old with their first college apartment that has empty liquor bottles displayed like trophies.

18. montman

montman Devotee (411) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Like several others, save for homebewing. If I have too many bottles around, its a reminder I need to get off my butt and brew something.

19. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I rarely save any based on the labels, but I help my friend with his home brewing, and I save bottles for him when he needs them.

20. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I keep any 'first time' beer bottles for my collection (closing in on 2,000), return any Michigan bottles for the 10-cent deposit, or strip the label and save the bottle for homebrew if it is a 12-ounce bottle and came from out of state. (Bombers from out of state get recycled because I don't use them for homebrew, but I do strip the label.)

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  21. frozen-1984

frozen-1984 Initiate (158) Dec 25, 2014 Colorado

I save some of the harder beers to find the rest just end up in the glass bin or can bin out back

22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,783) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I have a strong instinct to collect - comics, CDs, DVDs, books, miniatures, etc. - so it was hard to throw away cool bottles, but I did and do - I have retained exactly 5 bottles over my 5 years on beer:
    [​IMG]
    The King Henry and Bramble Rye were pretty big whales for me, the Backyard Rye was excellent and also balances the Bramble; 2013's Parabola was one of the top 10 best beers ever, and a bottle of Sucaba is to balance out the Parabola.

So even though this may sound insane to some, believe me - for me, its a sizable display of restraint :stuck_out_tongue:

Treyliff, aoampm and DOTU like this.
  23. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (339) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm always looking for the Warriors so i keep two empty bottles on me at all times. the rest i recycle.

gopens44, Grodd87, meanmutt and 2 others like this.
  24. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Recycle them or reuse them for home brews.

25. ZebraCakez

ZebraCakez Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2014 Massachusetts

I hope to get into home brewing soon, I've been researching equipment and such for some time now. I'd save some at that point for bottling.

I told myself long ago, though, that I'm not going to get into collecting empties. There just isn't enough room for it, I have too many hobbies/collections as it is.

26. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (203) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

Recycle.

meanmutt likes this.
  27. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

chuck them out my car window as soon as I finish them

Just kidding, I'll save my favorites for a while and try to recycle the rest

meanmutt and ChicagoGuy like this.
  28. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

I do the exact same thing, I've got about 12 cases saved for my home brews and the rest get recycled. I do save three or four labels of each different beers I drink, one for the beer fridge and the others for god knows what project

29. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Oregon

Living in Oregon, we have a 5 cent deposit. I used to save up empties and then try to recover my nickels at one of the local bottle return machines. Inevitably, the machines wouldn't recognize half of the barcodes. I guess my beer purchases were a little too eclectic. :slight_smile: So, I now just put them all in my bi-weekly recycling. The nickel deposits weren't worth the time and frustration at the machines.

riverlen likes this.
  30. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

"Come out and play"

McMatt7 and DOTU like this.
  31. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

recycle 100 percent

riverlen and meanmutt like this.
  32. JAPack521

JAPack521 Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

I saved the 2010 bottle of Dark Lord my wife gave me for our wedding plus a couple others. With the others, I homebrew!

DeepBrew likes this.
  33. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (361) Sep 19, 2013 New York

same here. although many of the bottle labels are a pain and need to be soaked in hot water overnight to be removed. everything else gets recycled.

34. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (229) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I used to save the cool ones, but it kinda got out ta hand after a while, only one I still have is a westy 12 bottle and I save one of each of the FW special releases I get my hands on

35. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (222) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Potato cannon ammo

russpowell and meanmutt like this.
  36. wilhelm_phoenix

wilhelm_phoenix Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2014 Virginia

I recycle them... eventually. Most of the 22oz beers I've bought this semester currently line the window ledge in my room in my apartment. By the end of the year, however, they will all be gone. For now, they are my trophies.

37. meanmutt

meanmutt Savant (935) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I recycle most of them, but I save some empty bombers to throw at the neighborhood kids when they are on my lawn.

ChicagoGuy and russpowell like this.
  38. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

i drink very responsibly, i recycle my bottles.

riverlen likes this.
  39. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (146) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

I keep the beers that stand out to me. Others, I recycle.
    [​IMG]

lambpasty likes this.
  40. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,633) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I throw NB Fat Tire out when its full.......(sorry) ;(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.