What do you do with the empties?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMistress, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

I save a couple weeks worth, the sneak out at night and pile 'em on the neighbor's cans at the curb...There's been raised eyebrows in the neighborhood. :slight_smile:

2. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (2,861) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio

Give them to my buddy at work who home brews....I get great beer for that. Belgian tripels, quads, plum brandy barrel dubbels, and fantastic barely wines.

Other than that, I save the cool local cans and bottles for the wall.

Shroud0fdoom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. Jae9979

Jae9979 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 New York

Save as many as I can, as one day, preferably the week before Mother's Day, I will befriend a postal worker who will drive me to MI for the $0.10 refund, therefore, avoiding truck rental fees. Call it a loophole, but I call it a profit.

gopens44 likes this.
  4. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (907) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

5. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

We have a recycle bin that I put them in.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  6. Grodd87

Grodd87 Disciple (365) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

R u my long lost brother. That is all stuff I collect.

Greywulfken likes this.
  7. funjack5150

funjack5150 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 California

Recycle them. I only keep the full ones....:wink:

8. BvilleBrewGuy

BvilleBrewGuy Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2015 New York

I store mine in the garage until the local boyscout troop comes a knockin'. Those boys are really cleaning up in my neighborhood.

9. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Crusader (728) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Trader

I save my favorites and recycle the rest. Unfortunately the ones I save I have to store them in my cellar as I have nowhere to put them at the moment.

10. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (239) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

You're single... aren't you.

11. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (907) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

Nope! Married 23 years!!! My wife actually started this by buying a mixed six for my birthday 22 years ago! That said. If we move again they won't be making the trip:wink:. I should also qualify that this is in my basement and not the main house. Last approximate count was 3,400-give or take a few.

aoampm, ChicagoGuy and NCMonte like this.
  12. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,179) Sep 3, 2007 California

I recycle anything I'm not going to re-use. I re-use 22 ounce brown glass bombers for my homebrewing after removing the labels.

vurt likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,383) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Cool bottles line my brew cave, the rest get cleaned and delabeled for homebrew.

14. dav2080

dav2080 Aspirant (216) Mar 11, 2012 Wisconsin

I counted my empty bottles for homebrew. I have 250. I cannot produce or drink my beer that fast to fill them all. I recycle any new commercial 12 oz. bottles now. I keep and reuse all the bombers I buy. Surly comes in cans. Save those for target practice then recycle.

15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,574) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Ask your buddy if he needs more bottles. :wink: Those homebrews all sound good (except for the 'barely' wine).

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,574) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'll call it illegal. :wink: We're watching you. :grinning:

17. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Savant (917) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

I have about 350 cool labeled, memorable, favorite beer bottles saved and some on shelves. Some others I refill with homebrewed beer.

18. SnifterLifter

SnifterLifter Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 New York

I return all of my bottles and put the change towards more beer. Except lately me and my dad have been putting it off and it got out of hand and now we have a shed literally full of empties and a giant pile of bags of empties in my backyard. My neighbors must think were classy people. Also my mom wants to kill us.

19. Zetcha7x

Zetcha7x Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

Recycle everything. The full bottles in the cellar and throughout the house are enough. Plus all the beer glasses I have...my wife would never tolerate me keeping empty bottles no matter how cool they are.

20. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,280) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Recycle for the most part. Sometimes I pray that the whales will magically refill themselves.

21. SmashPants

SmashPants Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Australia

Used to keep a single of each beer I have tried. The cases and cases of them ended up filling the garage to the point that I couldn't get the car in. Decided to throw everything out, without remembering that a) some of those bottles / labels were rare, limited edition or no longer produced, and b) in one of our house moves I had actually stuck a whole heap of my 1980s Transformers in those boxes.

Sad times.

22. beernazi

beernazi Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California

trash em, got no more room for random junk in my apt.

23. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Zealot (563) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I recycle them. I keep the bottle caps because when I collect enough, I want to make a table with all the beers I've drank through the years.

24. Cobudzin

Cobudzin Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

Living in Michigan definitely take back to the store for deposit. A lot of really cool artwork and design on the label though.

25. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,085) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I soak and save about half of the labels (I already have a lot...) and the rest get soaked and tossed so that the bottles can be used for homebrew. I'm a bit nutty that way, but the old returnables, they's hard ta come by, these daze...

26. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I save any ones I deem special enough to display. Either throw the other ones away or save em for homebrew.

27. Jae9979

Jae9979 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 New York

[​IMG]

gopens44 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,624) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

I recycle to get my money back.

29. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (267) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

I dont save any of them (though I might save a Gandhi bot can or two, now that it's an endangered species)

Other than that, I basically donate all my empties to the local high school's bottle drive. They use the proceeds to fund the Safe Grad party (oh the irony!))

all that aside, my volume of empties has plummeted in the past year.......since I started going to Tree House so frequently. Refilling growlers at the brewery has done wonders for reducing my recycling footprint.

30. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (1,997) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia

[​IMG]

This is what I do with mine.....Sorry you can only see 2 of the four walls I am working on...Also, no pictures of the Bomber Bookcase, lol

TongoRad likes this.
  31. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (1,997) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia

[​IMG]

I also do this with my empties !!!!!!!!!

Rochefort10nh and russpowell like this.
  32. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,602) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I save one of each of my very favorite beers. My hope is to design some sort of display in my basement (but that would require motivation).

33. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,433) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

I remember living in base housing & having neighbors comment about how may bottles I recycled. I of course told them my wife had "issues":wink: Actually, I told them to fuck off & mind their own business.

raffels likes this.
  34. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,433) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Save the cans to give to the Humane Society, used to save them for my kids to sell, but they wanted me to do all the work, so screw'em. No one takes bottles around here. Hell they didn't start recycling around here in manner until about 6 months ago:grimacing:

35. maz

maz Aspirant (270) Apr 27, 2009 Illinois

LOL... yeah my phone pics are beer, beer, beer, meat/steak, kid, cat, dog, dog, beer, (repeat)

36. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Champion (886) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Build my earthship. And ocassionally get deposits.

37. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (753) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Jesus Christ!

That would be a great drinking room if I had a spare room.

Enjoy

38. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (538) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

LOL

leantom likes this.
  39. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,081) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Usually I rinse out the empties and either recycle them or save them for homebrewing. Sometimes I'll peel off a label if the design is something I want to keep.

40. NorthCoastPranqster

NorthCoastPranqster Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Georgia

I always throw them in the recycling bin in front of my house that gets picked up once every two weeks. I really wish they didn't pick it up at six in the morning though because it's pretty loud when they empty it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.