What do you do with the empties?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMistress, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,068) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Throwing them away is not the worst feedback I've gotten from some clients over the years. Not even close. :slight_smile:

beertunes likes this.
  2. dutesanch

dutesanch Disciple (352) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Trader

Recycle for $$$$. After the beer is gone aluminum and glass turn to Gold! @Martin_carvalho knows what's up!

3. readyski

readyski Aspirant (251) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Um throw them in the recycle barrel. Not sure they end up any other place than everything else :grimacing:

4. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (495) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have maybe 12-15 that I've kept to display once I get some shelving in my basement.

5. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (557) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

have we officially run out of things to discuss?

raffels, AntG21 and abkayak like this.
  6. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,846) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

me too ... exactly

7. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

I have a scrapbook of sorts I keep my beer labels in. To remove them I soak them in the sink filled with hot water and a sprinkle of Oxi-Clean until the water goes luke warm, 90% of them will lift off easily. The only bottles I actually save are those that are embossed or painted, like Stone's stuff.

8. Schwarzvald

Schwarzvald Initiate (76) May 1, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I normally keep the labels that will peal off and put them on paper and frame them..lol Ones with labels you cant get off you could use as cups with a bottle cutter! or the bottles that have the labels like Stone can be made into cups also. And the great thing about the labels that are like the one Stone uses is that if you break them then you can make a mosaic out of them or use them in some kinda art! oooohhh and i use them for my HOME BREW...almost forgot. :slight_smile:

9. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (407) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I put them in the garbage.

10. archyquaffer

archyquaffer Defender (613) Sep 16, 2012 Montana

Brewers brewers please PLEASE bottle more of your beer in cans! I honestly doubt that cans really degrade the flavor- or it might impart a wee bit of a metallic taste....Think mineral water!

Cans are especially handy in the summer. It's tough to take bottles camping- and forget anything on the water- rafting is OUT. Cans fit in the cooler better and won't break. The alternative is to fill the cooler with PBR or Coors- not the worst thing, but certainly not the best.

Bottle are morphing into a total nightmare for me. My town use to accept glass for recycling but they don't do it anymore, and there is no way to recycle glass bottles, other than to take them to Missoula (120 miles one way) where I've heard you can sell plain, unembossed bottles to the Bayern Brewery. I home brew but my bottles are stacked practically to the ceiling and I have no alternative but to throw them away now. Please help! (Unless you want me to fill the cooler with Coors!)

11. are_doubleyou

are_doubleyou Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 Illinois

I fill them with urine, recap them and leave them in public places.

ChicagoGuy likes this.
  12. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (229) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

There's not a deposit for bottles or cans around here, at least not that I'm aware of, and you can't return said bottles or cans for money so I just chuck 'em in the trash can closest to me inside the house.

Grayson14 likes this.
  13. msds

msds Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Washington

Molotov cocktails, of course.

ChicagoGuy and PorterPro125 like this.
  14. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Aspirant (246) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

recycle them but sell the caps on eBay. Don't get a ton of money but I consider it a rebate on my beer purchases!

15. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (826) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I've made a habit of collecting the bottles and cans of craft beer that I've drank (only one bottle/can per beer) but my shelf is starting to fill up :stuck_out_tongue:

16. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Initiate (174) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Collect them for a year and then rent a truck n drive to Michigan to deposit them with my friend Newman.

HopHead_, ChicagoGuy and mohawk5 like this.
  17. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (903) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

This is where my tasting group has done 20 plus tastings over the past six years. Many of the crazier bottles (Izzy, Deviation, Framboos, Blabaer, Crianza, Roos, Blauw, Wooden Hell etc.) were traded for, shared and brought by myself, rpstevens, jammalamma, straffordmilitia, GarthTaargus and Pete H. Many great memories have been forged over the years and looking at the collection definitely brings them back until the next tasting:wink:!

#137 Rochefort10nh, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  18. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (622) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Recycle, no room for bottles. I did hang onto my depleted bottle of Pappy 20 and a couple of Porfidio with the cactus inside, but the shelves are overflowing . It's part of the hoarder trait that explains all the full bottles in my basement.

19. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (890) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Recycler here... the only exception is when I travel for a vacation I might save a beer bottle as a souvenir, but only if I think it will remind me of the trip. I don't find a bottle I want to save on every trip, but sometimes I find a good one, like when I vacationed in Iceland I brought back an empty of Ölvisholt Brugghús Lava

20. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

Throw them all in the garbage. Don't have time to recycle. Besides they get sorted at the garbage station anyway.

21. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

Seems like asshole around here leave them at fishing spots. In Maine,we had a deposit law. Never saw bottles or cans on the road. But chocolate milk drinkers were the slobs.

22. SensorySupernova

SensorySupernova Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 California

One of the restaurants has bathrooms wallpapered with bottle labels. That might be a good alternative to taking up space by saving whole bottles.

23. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Sometimes I save the labels if I am able to get it off the bottle without too much damage to the label.

But I am saving all my bottle caps. I am trying to one day make a coffee table with clear glass that has the bottle caps underneath.

MetalMistress likes this.
  24. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,304) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I'm saving the caps to use in post-apocalyptic Washington DC as currency. Takes quite a few to get power armor ya know.

25. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Devotee (497) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Quite the collection!!! You know it is a sick collection when Dirty Horse and SHBRL don't even make the list of crazy bottles. Which bottle of all of those was the "toughest"?

26. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

Use them for homebrew

27. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (788) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

28. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 North Carolina

Keep all the cool ones I don't have then pitch the ones I do. Since I've been living in Germany I return them to the store because there's an 0.08 euro deposit on each bottle. Annoying as hell.

29. KCBeerNerd

KCBeerNerd Disciple (392) Dec 20, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

My wife lets me have 1 shelf that will hold 5-7 bottles, so I change up the display every know and then, I had the empties of a full Mexican Cake Horizontal up there for a while, now I have the empties of a full Fermier Horizontal.

30. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (417) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I started saving various Pumpkin beer bottles in October 2013, which then grew to include fall seasonal beers and now winter seasonal beers. Fall and Winter are my two favorite seasons, especially in New England. My thought process is when I move out of my apartment and buy a house, wherever the mancave is I will somehow incorporate the ones I like as decor in the room, probably a high-level mantle shelf going around the perimeter of the whole room.

31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,534) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

32. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Nah, this is probably the third thread on this subject...

Black_Rider and jesskidden like this.
  33. mnrider

mnrider Crusader (740) May 26, 2009 Connecticut

I usually just throw them at peasants as I drive slowly by in my Rolls Royce blasting 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'.

jimmyfishkin and kennyg like this.
  34. Lordwindowlicker

Lordwindowlicker Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2015 Maryland

"Red" is the better album.

35. Erikone

Erikone Initiate (80) Sep 12, 2014 Texas

Make flaming cocktails

36. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

EMPTY beer bottles?

I've just been staring at the cellar and imagining how great everything must taste.

smi69 likes this.
  38. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (2,809) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio

Lightly hopped with dates, raisins, rye whiskey chips or oak, and Belgian candy sugars....a thing to behold! Need to get him to post some of his recipes in the homebrew section. His triples are akin to Urthel and Delirium.
    Cheers!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  39. smi69

smi69 Devotee (405) Apr 8, 2014 New York
    Trader

I still have a SA triple bock bottle full don't think I ever drink it

40. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (643) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

some get recycled, some get thrown out. I saved all of the ones from this years beer camp but i think those will find their way into the trash as well. Ive got that collecting gene where i find myself turning everything into a collection. But before i could even do that with beer, i accepted defeat because im a completionist and theres no way im completing that collection lol

-xICooRsYIx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.