What do you do with the empties?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMistress, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,449) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Many, many years ago while walking in the woods in northern Michigan I stumbled onto a hunter's shack made out of beer bottles.

hophugger likes this.
  2. asams10

asams10 Aspirant (252) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina

[​IMG]

These are just ones from our favorite breweries. Had to start throwing away most when we started running out of room in the closet

4ingredients likes this.
  3. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,133) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Have you considered dubbing this "liver damage"????? Too cool! Epic really! Cheers

4. bigdaddyjerry

bigdaddyjerry Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Maryland

what would possess you to collect all those bottles???? do they hold a value...curious

5. bigdaddyjerry

bigdaddyjerry Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Maryland

are they like glued to each other???

6. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

I show up to the recycle center with all of my empties.
    The old man must think I'm a psycho but he always comes out and stares at my bottles in awe. (He will usually go through them all and check out the label and ask me about them) lol

7. DeepBrew

DeepBrew Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Texas

Recycle religiously. My wife puts aside the good looking bomber bottles and takes them to friends who bottle wine in them.

8. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Initiate (153) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

Recycle them or if I know they delabel with hot water I save for homebrewing.

9. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (907) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

The material value is negligible.

The genesis of me doing this is multi-fold. When I was around seven years old (1976), my family and I would go to a pizza place that had a giant can collection on every wall of the establishment and I was fascinated by the scope and variety of the cans. The colors, the patterns, the symbolism. Just mesmerized. When I started to get into good beer at the tail end of my college career (1990) I thought it would be cool to document each and every beer I had. Michael Jackson's books had a lot to do with with my search for new and unique beers to try and lead to my exploration of the world of beer. The empty bottles served as my documentation in an age where Beer Advocate and online sites to review and talk about beers didn't exist.

Again, I was drawn to the artwork and creative labels that were out there and really enjoyed looking back on what beers I have tried - many have stories behind them that I remember well. Like the night at Dusseldorf's on Fort Myers Beach when I drank 15 different beers while watching members of the Chicago Fire Department complete their beers cards (they consumed 120 beers in six days!!) before taking to the streets to stop traffic while doing the chicken dance. Quite the sight! Sadly Dusseldorf's is gone.

I've done approximately 30 beer tastings with two different groups over the past 20 years and have many memories that are rekindled by looking the bottles the we have traded for and consumed over that time frame. I've been fortunate to drinks beers with many cool people over the years and I enjoy reminiscing over the times we've had. Corny I know, but what the hell.

gopens44, bigdaddyjerry and raffels like this.
  10. HoptimusPrimeIPA

HoptimusPrimeIPA Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Florida

I break em behind WaWa

BergBeer likes this.
  11. smbslt

smbslt Champion (878) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

Plain long necks and bombers with easy to remove labels go to the home brew pile - everything else gets recycled.

12. racer2k

racer2k Devotee (417) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

I donate them to the local organizations like schools, sports, scouting etc..We have a 5 cent deposit on bottles and cans...

13. fermentedbarley

fermentedbarley Devotee (409) May 22, 2012 New Hampshire

I've thought of saving the rare ones (Lawsons, Alchemist, etc)...but end up just recycling. No redemption in NH.

14. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

Recycle everything except growlers that are reusable.

15. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (1,999) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia

[​IMG]

I do this, pic #1 of 2

4ingredients and pnelting like this.
  16. KeithE

KeithE Disciple (300) Sep 10, 2013 Illinois

Recycle all the bottles, and my wife recycles any empty growlers she finds because she doesn't like clutter.

17. hophugger

[​IMG]

Second picture of what I do with the empties, Not as good as the first picture, oh well !!!

18. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (458) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Into the garbage they go - I don't collect trash.

19. n2492004

n2492004 Aspirant (273) Dec 31, 2006 Michigan

its 2015 I recycle them

20. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

I save them for homebrew. But anything that's hard to find and rare, I keep the bottle. But in the case of Heady Topper, can. Almost like a trophy. I have a beer of fame on my mantel.

21. Rodney221

Rodney221 Initiate (68) Sep 14, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Recycle everything except maybe 10% of my bombers that have cool artwork and eventually those get tossed too. If I ever start homebrewing I'll hold on to enough for that.

22. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

100% recycle.

23. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois

I keep some special bottles. Right now I have a Pliny, 120 DFH, King Henry, and a 2010 Matilda (that was right around the time I started getting into craft beers and that was one of the first I bought). I also have a box with empty bombers for future homebrewing. All the rest, I recycle.

24. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

I hope that is a dorm room.

MikeP64 likes this.
  25. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (173) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Using mine for homebrew-I guess I am recycling too!

26. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (209) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I have 2 empties that I have saved in my office.
    Heady
    Pliny

The rest 100% recycled.

27. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,475) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

Recycle. All. They go on the kitchen counter with the pop cans my wife builds up and the other non-paper items we gather, than they get moved to the bin several times a week.

I don't have room to collect bottles. I need the space for the beer I collect and drink.

28. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Unless it's something like a stoneware/ceramic bottle with its own rubber stopper apparatus attached, I throw it out - that meaning either the recycle bin or the garbage container, as appropriate.

The stoneware/ceramic bottles, I can re-use - and I have two of those. The rest just take up space.

Should I ever take up homebrewing, I may re-evaluate this stance.

29. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Save my favorites and shelve them on display. Recycle all the others.

30. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,809) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Rinse and shamefully put them (gently) into the recycle outside as my neighbors judge me :stuck_out_tongue:

hophugger likes this.
  31. MattXT

MattXT Defender (638) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I used to save the cool ones, but now I return all the ones I can in MA and put the others in the recycle bin. I never throw them in the trash. Save the planet and all that noise.

32. Zanico

Zanico Devotee (464) Nov 24, 2009 Ohio

I recycle the cans and bottles but keep the bottle caps.

33. larryarms847

larryarms847 Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois
    Society

Recycle them. When I was in college I'd line my cabinets with them, but quickly realized that wouldn't fly when I moved back in with my parents right after school.

34. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

I throw them all in a metal trash can, and smash em up with a bigass rock when it starts to get full. Once it's about 200 fuckin pounds, I load it up in the back of my work truck and take it to a recycling thing about 30 minutes away. No trash pickup out here in hillbilly country.

35. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

I eat them.

hophugger likes this.
  36. antman27

antman27 Aspirant (235) Dec 29, 2013 New York

Bring them back to the beer store and get $ 0.5 and put the few buck back into buying more

37. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Devotee (432) May 2, 2013 Ohio

They become homebrew vessels :grinning:

38. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

You too!?! My wife asked me to start saving my empties in a old 6 pack holder so I can quietly place them in the bin.

hophugger likes this.
  39. hophugger

Garage/Man Cave !

40. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California

I used to save some of my favories back in college and a few years afterwards, but then I grew up. HAHA.

In all seriousness though, I only save what I consider to be trophies. BCBS Rare, 2009 Temptation batch 4, etc etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.