What do you look for in Stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

Russian Imperial Stout or Imperial Stout -

Smoke, roasted or burnt malt, dry leaf tobacco, oak created simply by the malt build, bitter coffee and bitter baker's chocolate, maybe some bitter earthy hops and then hints of dark fruit and caramel to balance out the stronger flavors. Maybe a hint of licorice in the aftertaste. I get these flavors a lot in SN Narwhal and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout after they age for about a year or two.

Regular Stout -

A lighter version of all of the above...

2. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

I forgot to list Barrel aged Imperial stouts which is a different animal all together.

But everything I posted in my last post along with, whiskey, sweet pipe tobacco, oak created by the barrel, char, burnt or toasted coconut, vanilla and just a REALLY smooth silky finish and very little hoppy bitterness. I think the barrels somehow kill the hops taste. At least that's what I've noticed about barrel aging.

#42 doppletheGOAT, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (575) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon and solid buzz.

4. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (265) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Rich dark chocolate and coffee, with very little bitter.
    Plenty of vanilla, with a thick, but not overpowering sweetness.
    Most importantly is balance.

5. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

right now I'm really into semi/bitter-sweet chocolate and heavy on the dark fruits (black butte xxvi) that beer is my shit right now, wish it wasn't $19.99 for a damn bomber, but worth it.

BeerForMuscle likes this.
  6. Golferallen54

Golferallen54 Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Colorado

I look for heavy chocolate and roasted malts with goth dark fruits... I also really love a properly done fruit stout

7. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

Love a good stout but often find the molasses flavor to be so strong the beer almost tastes like soy sauce, so anything but that, please.

8. Stagga_Lee

Stagga_Lee Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Massachusetts

I love everything on this list...do you consider Hairy Eyeball a stout though? Also, have you had Dark Truth? The Belgian yeast provides a bunch of dark fruit notes.

9. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Oops should have clarified, I consider Hairy Eyeball a strong ale/barleywine/Scotch ale, just one that I definitely get a little bit of roast from. And yup I love Dark Truth. Cheers!

Stagga_Lee and Beertsipper like this.
  10. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

A distinct poop flavor

11. Mshea805

Mshea805 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2014 California

Sweet and boozy with little to no bitterness. Bourbon, Chocolate, and/or vanilla preferably. Just no licorice, overly bitter coffee and mostly no strong hop flavors!

12. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Full body.

mlhyatt likes this.
  13. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,192) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

The solutions to all of life's problems.

And I usually find them there.

14. humuloner22

humuloner22 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 North Carolina

I like the roasted coffee, vanilla, chocolate notes. In a BA, version the right amount of balance from the base and the barrel. I have had a few rum barrel aged ones and many whiskey/bourbon barrel aged ones and bourbon seems to blend more closely to the base of a stout. Also, mouthfeel should be velvety and somewhat viscous.

15. Hhodne

Hhodne Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Norway

My favorite stout would have a huge body, loads of coffee/vanilla/chocolate and tons of salty licorice.
    It's hard to find those salty treats, but man, when that salty liquid hits my lips my eyes rolls back and I enter Nirvana for a few seconds.

What I really don't like in my stout is brett and milk. Why would you ever want to add milk/cream to let all those great flavours disappear?

16. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (0) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

I lean towards Russian and Imperial Stouts with zero bitterness and high abv. I prefer bourbon/coffee/chocolate/notes but I always enjoy a good twist. I like to just sit with my slow sipper.

17. parrotsnest

parrotsnest Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Washington

coffee, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, booze, thick, black

18. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (137) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

roasted malt, some dark fruit, dark chocolate, and hints of coffee and vanilla. Not too sweet. I like them full bodied, bitter, thick, and imposing.

19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,405) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Tons of chocolate (dark or milk), roasted malts, hint of vanilla, hint of coffee, not hopped too much, robust mouthfeel. Yeah.

20. patdunkel

patdunkel Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Wisconsin

I like creaminess with some depth of flavor. I like to subtly taste whatever adjuncts may be in there, while not letting those overpower (cocoa, vanilla, chile, etc.). Basically, I look for things that taste like Huna but are much easier to get:grinning:
    CW's stuff falls into that category for me thankfully. One of the few good things about living in this God forsaken climate..

21. DHS1029

DHS1029 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

In a RIS I like lots of dark chocolate and dark fruits like plum and fig. In an American Imperial I like lots of chocolate, coffee, and dark roastiness in the malt profile. I prefer my stouts to have a thicker mouthfeel with a decent amount of carbonation. Stouts that are too thin lose that complexity that I like. Same goes with BA stouts. I like bourbon heat, but not overdone.

22. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Smoothness, velvety feel and a lot of coffee and vanilla flavors.

23. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Smell/taste.

24. scifan

scifan Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2007 North Carolina

Well I guess the most important thing is a since of humor I mean we all love to laugh am I right or what. Runner up would be honesty and how much money it makes.

25. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

Right now i'm really digging stouts with chilis. Also first post, woohoo!

26. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (133) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

no off flavors :slight_smile: lol

27. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (783) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Double digit ABV and super rarity.

28. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Chocolate and coffee with vanilla.

I also love beers like Hunaphu, Bomb!, and Xocovesa with cinnamon and peppers mixed in. It seems like more breweries are trying these combinations out, so I'm pretty happy.

29. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (135) Feb 25, 2013 California

coffee, warmth, body. What I've found I really don't like is bourbon taste/smell, after having a number of these ones that tout it. I prefer beer in my beer.

30. Admbmb92

Admbmb92 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Oregon

Thick body, lots of chocolate and coffee, and balanced sweetness

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  31. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

+1

Blackness, bourbon, cognac, vanilla, sweetness, chocolatey goodness, heat, no hops whatsoever. I like smoke too with a bourbon barrel aged. Bois Fume and Smoking Wood '14 were really, really nice.

32. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

In addition to reiterating the basics of coffee, chocolate, maple, etc (any combination), the big dealbreaker for me is in the mouthfeel. I don't enjoy 'watery' stouts, regardless of flavor (though it does seem that the better flavors bring the mouthfeel along for the ride in most cases).

33. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (632) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

Roasty, coffee, chocolate. Like many before me, sweet and roasty are nice balance to find.

34. SpaceEurope

SpaceEurope Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 New Jersey

Nothing. Blackness

35. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Chocolate and roasty forward flavors.

I'm not a coffee guy at all, so when a stout has that flavor forward I don't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.