What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now - June 2018

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jun 2, 2018.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,408) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

2. VikeMan

Beer Trader

[​IMG] Pineapple Blueberry Berliner

3. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (795) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Tried out a saison fermented with BE-134 with a grist of Maris Otter, toasted flaked rye, and toasted flaked oats. Still needs a bit to be there, but starting to think that if you don't do something extreme in the grist or dryhopping, it doesn't matter in a saison.

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (295) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Why two glasses? Extra thirsty?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  5. Prep8611

Easiest style in the world. No real guidelines as it was a peasant beer and they used what was available.

6. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Company.

7. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (395) May 9, 2011 Michigan

How did you like this fruit combo? I have a sour aging, and I was thinking going this route. Or maybe blueberries and dry hop with Denali...

8. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I like it. The pineapple and blueberries work well together. Also, FWIW this is a no hops Berliner.

9. seanyfo

seanyfo Savant (930) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

10. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (143) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Not drinking yet, but, yesterday I kegged my Strawberry Milkshake that has been resting on 6lbs of Strawberries for 3 weeks and boy oh boy, it smelled like straight up Juicy Juice. Putting it at 30PSI for 2-3 days then dropping it to 10 for 3-4 more days then I'll give it a try. It's going to be a long week

Jesse14 likes this.
  11. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (170) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Looks fantastic. What were your fruiting rates for both fruits? Fresh or frozen?
    I have been wanting to use pineapple in a kettle sour.

12. TooHopTooHandle

[​IMG]
    My peach sour. Almost fully carbed and I cant wait to see what this beer does after a few months in the bottle.

13. VikeMan

Beer Trader

5.1 gallon batch. 4 lbs pineapple and 4 lbs blueberries. For this batch, both were bought frozen and were thawed and smushed before going into secondary.

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  14. TooHopTooHandle

Can you notice the acidity from the pineapple?
    Thanks for the feedback! Cheers!

15. VikeMan

Beer Trader

That's hard to say. I wouldn't swear that it's much more tart than other fruited berliners I've done. Also, I know pineapple is acidic, but I'm not sure it's quite as acidic as people tend to think. The "bite" you get when eating pineapple is also due to an enzyme in the pineapple that attacks proteins in the lining of your mouth.

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  16. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (167) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've heard that there are some issues to adding pineapple to beer, due to the enzyme you mentioned. However, I'd love to add some in secondary to a tropical berliner i make fairly often. is there any specific issue with said enzyme or can i just go for it?

thanks

17. VikeMan

Beer Trader

The enzyme will destroy (or denature?) certain proteins over time. With these last pours, I noticed a little less foam retention than when the beer was younger, but nothing radical. OTOH, I don't think I have used pineapple in anything other than berliners. I suppose it could be more noticeable in another style.

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  18. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (167) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

so the primary issue would be / could be head retention? any other flavor / mouthfeel / etc. effects that you can think of - as always, thanks

19. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I would think that both mouthfeel and foam retention could be affected. But as I said, in my Berliners, it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

Gsulliv2 and TooHopTooHandle like this.
  20. TooHopTooHandle

What's your typical grain bill for your Berliners

21. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Typically 50/50 Pilsner/Pale Wheat malt. Usually Weyermann.

Gsulliv2 and TooHopTooHandle like this.
  22. TooHopTooHandle

Thanks @VikeMan. I always appreciate your help!

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  23. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (347) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I thought we were drinkin beer, here??..

Well I cracked a few Prep Sasions last night, first ever for me and I'm keeping it in the rotation now. Light, and tasty hopped with cascade.
    Thanks @Prep8611 for a excellent and easy brew. Next time I'll make it a fresh hop saison, Prep style

24. Prep8611

Lol glad the cascade worked but I definitely told you to use HMF but you are the true run and gun brewer and that was your improv!

GormBrewhouse and thebriansmaude like this.
  25. GormBrewhouse

Sorry, can'tt. Help it, lost cause here for sure. But it's still a fine beer. Next I'll stick to the recipe,,,,I think.

Prep8611 likes this.
  26. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (284) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

late afternoon mostly my Phoenix IPA, my Helles Bock or the Maibock. In the evenings I sometimes drink my oatmeal or coffee stout. Trying to keep my daily consumption limited to 2 pints instead of trying to drink one of each of my beers on tap.

27. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (158) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

Nice! What did you sour with?

28. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (641) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Sipping on a bottle of bourbon barrel & cognac oak aged Barleywine. 13% abv, pretty smooth, touch of alcohol warmth. Perfect with 100F Florida summer lol

29. VikeMan

Beer Trader

GoodBelly juice in a CO2 purged, temp controlled (~115F) corny keg (pre-boil).

I used to keg sour ("kettle" sour) berliners with naturally lacto-laden base malts, but on the last few, I switched to GoodBelly shots or juice (depending on what the grocery store had), and have no complaints. End result seems to be the same.

Yalc likes this.
  30. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Tried to ETA, but too late. I may have got my GoodBelly-fu from @jbakajust1.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  31. GormBrewhouse

Burton light and more Prep saison.

Prep8611 likes this.
  32. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (99) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I've been drinking on my 100% Vienna dampfbier for about a month now. It's good, but I sort of find myself wishing I had just brewed a hefe.

[​IMG]

33. GormBrewhouse

Prep, Irish stout and a pals smoked strawberry ale

FeDUBBELFIST, Prep8611 and Eggman20 like this.
  34. jricharc

jricharc Aspirant (247) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

My dead rise copycat with jalapeño added.

[​IMG]

35. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,085) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Three similar beers on tap. Equal parts Golden Promise + Rye, one fermented with Ommegang yeast, the other Fantome, and the last one is Dupont.

36. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (395) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Cool idea. Which one is your favorite?

37. GormBrewhouse

Burton light and spruce tip ale

Push_the_limits likes this.
  38. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (143) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Beer Trader

This slightly modified chocolate stout of Gorm's turned out amazing. Tossed it on some cacao for a few weeks. Brewed and tapped a 5 gallon batch for my sisters graduation party this weekend and now I am able to lift the keg with one finger. Sad times. Have to brew again this weekend.

11 lbs. Marris Otter, 1.5 lbs. Chocolate Rye, 1 lbs. Munich 10L, 0.5 lbs. Roasted Barley, 0.75 lbs. Caramel 60L, 0.75 lbs. Flaked Oats. Used an ounce of Willamette at 45 minutes and then 10 minutes. US-05.

Also, @Prep8611 what is this Saison recipe I am reading about. I want a nice 4ish% lighter guy to drink during the summer, you know, to maintain my beach body and all

#38 Kraz, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  39. Prep8611

@Kraz
    Lol nothing special. Just a very simple saison recipe. 90 percent pilsner, 10% flaked wheat hopped with HMF at 60 30 15 (or cascade if your @GormBrewhouse ) to 25 ibu and ferment at 70 with Imperial organic rustic. It’s a crowd pleaser and very hard to mess up.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  40. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (128) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

Can't wait for a couple brews to make more progress conditioning in the bottle.

One is a rye porter fermented with white labs trappist yeast (WLP500) and soaked on medium+ toasted oak cubes for 2 months.

The other is a smoky wheat saison started with WLP001 and finished with the Wyeast 3711. I've been worried about it turning out too smoky, but I tasted it and it's all good. I added 1 lb cherrywood smoked malt to a 6 gal beer.

GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.