What Homebrew Are You Drinking October!?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Prep8611, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’ll start this off...[​IMG]
    hornindal kviek “table” beer. 4% pils and Vienna. Minimal Columbus in boil. Whirlpool El dorado and Amarillo. Dry hopped el dorado and Amarillo. Basically no bitterness. Estery fruity flavors from the yeast. I fermented this at 95F. My only complaint is that it never flocced with a 4 day cold crash. Oh well I’m used to hazy beer.

2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Hell week has come to vt. Every sort of friend and. Foe will be sliding into the farm.
    Cleanup ipa, message recieved ipa, Irish. Stout. Was gifted and shared, smartly several new beers for me listed on beer talk.

Prep8611 likes this.
  3. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (420) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

[​IMG]

Here's my first Oktoberfest. Been lagering for about 7 weeks so far. Crisp, clear and damn drinkable.

4. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Belgian imperial stout second tasting. Definitely better than a few weeks ago!

NorCalKid, fuzzbalz, skleice and 3 others like this.
  5. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

How many weeks since bottling?

6. Prep8611

About a month. Getting a bit of smokiness that wasn’t there before.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  7. GormBrewhouse

Main crew has arrived, groupies and hangers on coming today.
    Chocolate stout, but on light, very young smoked pumpkin which was wildly accepted, Belgian blueberry and even a few spruce ales.
    So far so good!!

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I'm going to make an Averagely Perfect Dubbel doubly perfect, by having a second glass. Stuff is at peak deliciousness this week, it seems.

9. GormBrewhouse

Pumpkin ale is about done, at 5 days old, guess there was not too much cinnamon, Irish and chocolate stout supply's badly damaged as was the clean up ipa#2.
    Many leaving tommorrow, whewwwww

10. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (84) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

Helles
    [​IMG]

Festbier
    [​IMG]

11. Lukass

Lukass Savant (935) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Still way too hot for pumpkin ales...

Finally settled into the new house, and drinking a huell melon dry hopped Berliner - it’s hitting the spot right about now!

12. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,250) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

13. campbellvt

campbellvt Initiate (27) Sep 29, 2018 Tennessee

Will keg a saison I did recently this week and making a spiced pumpkin pie (small batch) this weekend with actual pie filling and no longer using the Libby's pumpkin as I typically get the vegetal taste in the end. I'll try and throw up a picture of the saison....some of these beers look great by the way!

14. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

West Coast DIPA
    Eureka & Citra 7.9%. 84-IBU FG-1012
    Briess & Maris w/ Carapils + Dextrose

Mongrel, Jesse14, Lukass and 4 others like this.
  15. Prep8611

[​IMG] Imperial pumpkin stout while watching monster house with wife and boo bear( daughter)

16. pweis909

Premium

Popped a bottle of the old ale with brett c. I gave away 12 bottles last weekend; only have 8 left. I kind of want to drink them all now because this may be at it's peak. Behind the funky front end taste there is an almost intense, lingering cherry lifesaver sweet-tart thing going on. I never really felt I got tartness out of Brett in the absence of a lacto and/or pedio pitch, but this one has some distinct tartness.

Prep8611, Supergenious, MrOH and 4 others like this.
  17. Prep8611

[​IMG] Belgian single with mandarina bavaria. Pils, Belgian pale, biscuit. 3787.

18. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (343) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Currently on tap:
    Oatmeal Stout
    Brett Rye Saison
    Blood Orange Wheat IPA

19. campbellvt

campbellvt Initiate (27) Sep 29, 2018 Tennessee

[​IMG]

First beer conditioned in my new ferm chamber.....Autumn Rye Saison....it's fantastic! Cheers to Friday night and many more to go down the hatch.

20. skleice

skleice Aspirant (247) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Trinity IPA
    Hoppy Amber
    Milk Stout w/ cacao

GormBrewhouse, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  21. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Tried a couple of year-old brews last night.
    The high octane BDSA with sour cherries and mahleb still hasn't carbonated, and probably never will (was over 15% abv at bottling), but is very pleasant: lots of cherry and almond, with a hint of cinnamon. Definitely a sipper.
    Imperial porter has finally aged through the excess bitterness, and is now smooth, but almost unbearably chocolatey. Probably pull back on the brown malt and bittering hops a bit next time.

22. Prep8611

[​IMG] Kviek farmhouse with 50% wheat, Munich, Irish ale malt(trying to rid myself of it). Hopped solely with jarrylo. This is terrible in the sense that it’s as boring as white bread. I Fermented cool at 75. Jarrylo sucks. Pretty sure I’ll be dumping this keg. LPT don’t use jarrylo ever and always ferment kviek at 90F+.

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and skleice like this.
  23. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (343) May 9, 2011 Michigan

At least it looks good...

GormBrewhouse, Prep8611 and skleice like this.
  24. Prep8611

It’s dumped. Life is to short to drink bad beer.

GormBrewhouse and Jesse14 like this.
  25. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (795) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

[​IMG]Pils, light Munich, touch of Cara. Tettnang and WY2124. I’ll get a picture in a stein the next time I’m feeling especially thirsty, but she’s a beaut! Deep honey gold with a thick cap of foam and all the malty goodness and drinkability that makes this style so superior to the Märzens IMHO.
    I’m done with German beers for the year, though. Time to think of something else to brew...

26. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (227) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

27. Prep8611

[​IMG] Imperial pumpkin stout. WLP002 and a typical stout grist with canned pumpkin and spices in the mash. Really hitting its stride.

28. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (150) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Another typical 6.5% hazy IPA. 2rows, flaked oats, some c15, a little white wheat malt, and some acid malt. Mash PH of 5.3, 150 chloride, 50 sulfate. Mashed for 45 at 155 then raised to 157 for another 30 minutes (just kinda testing around - not real purpose for this). Bittered with columbus at 30 minutes. Then whirlpooled at 165 for 30 minutes with Vic Secret & Galaxy. Pitched WLP067 Coastal Haze. Biotrans hop for Vic Secret, second dry hop of Vic and Galaxy.

Had a similar beer on tap for September but used citra, mosaic, and galaxy for hops and yeast was Imperial Organic Juice (1318). Definitely preferred Juice over Coastal Haze, but coastal haze ripped through this down to 1.010 despite the high mash. Gonna brew it again using just mosaic/citra (columbus to bitter) and wyeast 1318.

Overall it's good, only been kegged for 8 days, so looking forward to see how it develops over the next few weeks.

29. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]

Drinking a bottle of my "Steam beer". Vienna malt (98%) and caramel pale malt (2%), Cluster hops and Mangrove Jack M54. 1.057ish OG.

After spending a day in the fridge it is cold hazy, the sample I had at room temp was clearer. The carbonation isn't as strong as I was expecting and could have been stronger considering the style but I prefer a milder carbonation level so I don't really mind. Aromawise it is distinctly fruity and malty sweet. Flavorwise it is bready with sweet malts, a balancing bitterness which sticks around in the aftertaste and some mild hop flavor from the Cluster hops. Even though the aroma is fruity the taste is alot cleaner than the aroma suggests. I did ferment quite cool around 15C.

I wonder if this yeast is derived from US05 (which I would suspect) or if it is derived from a standard lager beer strain. I sense alot more similarity than dissimilarity between this beer and other homebrews I've made with US05.

#29 Crusader, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  30. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Neipa w/wlp300 and peaches/apricots. Good but more spicy and not the hop bomb i thought it would be. Maybe the juices killed it.

[​IMG]

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  31. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (150) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

looks like a private instagram post. May want to upload to imgur.com

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  32. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Crap. I'll try again.

[​IMG]

33. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (84) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

34. GormBrewhouse

off the electric leash, so started with the pumpkin cinnabomb, followed with a message recieved dipa continued with a burton light and currently sipping a very young english king RIS. the brown sugar taste from chico is stupendous!!!!!!!!!!

NorCalKid, Prep8611 and skleice like this.
  35. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (434) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Four currently on tap, nothing new has been tapped in a few weeks (my session IPA being the latest). The Helles is drinking better than ever and is close to kicking, which will be a sad, sad day. I want to get it brewed again, but I have other plans for my pipeline at the moment. My Pils is drinking really good as well, although the yeast I used for this iteration (WLP800) isn’t as good as 2206 or 830 IMO, but still really tasty. My session pale is a bit more floral than expected given the hops used, but no complaints otherwise. Lastly, my whiskey barrel aged imperial stout is still on and only getting better. Really been craving porter/stout lately with the cooler weather so that tap has been getting more use as of late.

36. pweis909

Premium

Tapped into a 4 oz pour of my American Barleywine, which you may recall was inspired by Bigfoot. Not fully carbonated yet. It does remind me of Bigfoot, but it is flawed. Hops could be a little assertive, alcohol is maybe a little too prominent, and is that a hint of diacetyl? I noticed a little slickness in preliminary tasting when it first went into the keg, but now, I'm getting a little of the butterscotch in the aroma and finish. Crap. May need to pitch Brett and call it a Belgian. :wink:

37. skleice

Gluten Free NEIPA. Bit of Columbus in the boil with all Galaxy whirlpool and all Mosaic dry hop. US-04/T-58/WB-06.

[​IMG]

NorCalKid, riptorn, Jesse14 and 2 others like this.
  38. GormBrewhouse

Be
    Gian blueberry and the ris English King.

riptorn and Prep8611 like this.
  39. skleice

40. GormBrewhouse

oh boy, friends are here, so far,, finished both cleanup ipas, irish is looking poor and some redneck just found the new English King RIS. i gotta stop answering da door

frozyn, pweis909, Prep8611 and 3 others like this.