What "hype breweries" are actually worth their hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer_Stan, Jul 7, 2019.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (902) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

IOMO they aren't. They are very good breweries but they aren't talked about the way some of the New England breweries are.

2. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,138) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

As for TH they are definitely worth the hype for their beer quality. Not so sure they are worth the price.

Amendm and thesherrybomber like this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I can respect that. Kane had a good amount of chatter behind them at GABF this year, and the beers exceeded my already high expectations.

dennis3951 and TheGent like this.
  4. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,917) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think Kane is worthy of "hype" and "praise" that they receive, as well. I do not mean they fall into the category of not being worthy. They came to mind due to the highly anticipated releases such as the Brunch, Bell and ANTEAD series. Perhaps you have made your point, which is, that Kane makes a lot of beers that are not "hyped" in addition to the ones I mentioned.

cavedave, brutalfarce and dennis3951 like this.
  5. Sandis

Sandis Initiate (152) Jun 18, 2018 Minnesota
    Trader

In Minneapolis/St. Paul: Forager and Barrel Theory.

LGHT likes this.
  6. stoumi

stoumi Zealot (551) May 12, 2015 California
    Society

When I went home to San Diego it was all about Modern Times and Stone. I was much more impressed with Abnormal Beer Company and Pure Project, north of downtown proper.

lucius10 likes this.
  7. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Zealot (582) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

Tree House core beers are actually reasonable by today's standards (at least in the Northeast), Julius is $3.80 per can, which works out to be $15.20 a four pack 16 oz. and since they aren't sold as 4 packs, but by the can, you can mix and match...

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (902) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I was going to mention ANTEAD as an example of a hyped beer brewed by Kane but I was think more along the lines of the whole brewery being hyped.

TheGent likes this.
  9. detpizzaboi

detpizzaboi Aspirant (263) Feb 10, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

I'm sort of surprised by the Michigan answers here - Founders, Bells, and Shorts to me couldn't fall into a "hyped" category, since they're revered elder statesmen at this point, and you almost always know the beer you're buying from them will be good. They're the mainstays available in every liquor store in the state, and they're not particularly prone to joining the trends (e.g., Founders still doesn't even attempt a hazy IPA and Bells' "Official" is the least hazy NEIPA I've ever seen).

It seems to me that HOMES is the most hyped brewery in Michigan by a wide margin. Just waited in line for three hours for a can release there, and the cans apparently do very well in trades across the country. Their Nucleate festival draws the most hyped breweries in the country (plus Cantillon, Tilquin, 3F). They just collaborated with Other Half, Equilibrium, and Weldwerks, some other very hyped breweries. I do think HOMES is worth the hype - the IPAs are as good as anybody's, and the sours are great too. Will be interested to see if they start making some darker beers, they are expanding production.

Speciation seems to be gradually getting the hype they deserve. The best sour program in Michigan but you'll pay a pretty penny for it. Transient is also back to knocking out really great IPAs and sours, and is very well known for the Buckley/Ruckley/Kentuckley stouts (Bark Lord Day). Ellison makes great beer but isn't hyped to me, and I'd like them to stay that way (much cheaper than most). Arvon is pretty new but is rapidly getting acclaim for their excellent NEIPAs.

The most overrated hyped brewery to me is Ascension. I would never wait in line for their cans but apparently people do for every release. The sours I've had have been amateurish, just dumping fruit to hide the lack of complexity, and the IPAs are thinner and less nuanced than the others I mentioned. I also don't really get the hype for Witch's Hat or Perrin. Atwater is atrocious, but I don't think anyone seriously hypes them at this point.

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (392) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

The user who I quoted is from PA, so I was assuming Tired Hands.

NYR-Zuuuuc and Janeinma like this.
  11. stevepat

stevepat Defender (688) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I don't live near any hyped breweries but I stopped in to fieldwork fur lunch passing through the bay and they consistently seem worth the praise. If I lived near by I would occasionally be willing to wait in lines as long as 30 minutes for some of their beer (mostly because I would love to actually get some proper cans from them so I felt I could stock up a bit and not have degraded product in 2 weeks)

lucius10 likes this.
  12. BeanBump

BeanBump Devotee (434) Dec 14, 2016 California

Worth a Line: Alesmith, Modern Times, Wild Barrel

NOT Worth a Line: Pure Project, Societe, Belching Beaver

AllOfTheCats and lucius10 like this.
  13. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Zealot (582) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

Ahhh makes sense...carry on..

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  14. MaltDisney

MaltDisney Initiate (26) Jul 1, 2019 Maryland

Will second that opinion on Burial,... was in Asheville last September and even bartenders at other breweries suggested going there

15. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,049) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Contentious subject, but here is my (limited) 2 cents
    =========

Worth it (depending on when you go) = Tree House, Other Half

Not worth it = Tired Hands....ridiculously overpriced in general. The brew cafe is pretty awesome but I can't support their pricing scheme with a clean conscious (DDH DIPA 4-packs for $25+...LOLGTFO)

I omitted Trillium because they aren't all that busy anymore and their beer is okay (they have their ups & downs but generally speaking make yummy beer). Shitty pricing for the most part, yeah, but still worth a trip every now and again.

EDIT: I nearly spat out my beer at the mere mention of Suarez in this thread. Hype brewery? LOL, yeah-fucking-right! Granted I've only been there ~4-5 times but every time I've had the pleasure to visit....
    • every single beer: exceptional.
    • the ambiance/vibes: mellow like a cello.
    • the line/queue: non-existent.
    • the pretzels: amazeballs.

So, yeah. Suarez has no business being mentioned as a "hype brewery"...."highly praised brewery", perhaps, but there is nothing hype-y about them at all. IMO.

#55 tzieser, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    jrc1093, rozzom and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  16. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,016) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Angry Chair. Drop mic.

bubseymour likes this.
  17. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Referring to a brewery solely by its initials is the first step in hyping it. 85% of people know that.

bmugan, denver10, NYR-Zuuuuc and 2 others like this.
  18. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (202) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Exactly where I’m at as well and couldn’t agree more with you. I’m happy as a clam buying amazing tasting local beer that IMO lives up to any hyped brewery around.

19. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,391) Oct 24, 2010 California

Homage. I'd wait in line there if 1) I was able to get there in time, and 2) I had the time and money to do so. But, I live in the Mojave Desert and it's hard to get to releases anywhere, especially if there's anything else I want to do in the day (which, surprise surprise, there frequently is).

20. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,884) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

New England: TreeHouse & Hill Farmstead

Amendm likes this.
  21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,463) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Agree they play the scarcity game, but I've had 3 stouts from them and they are definitely making stuff in the top-tier. With that said, when I travel to Florida, I know a store where I can buy Funky Bhuda Morning Wood off a store shelf, and I think that stout is on par with the top stuff Angry Chair is making.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  22. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,023) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Have their IPAs gotten significantly better in the last year? They were only average when I went. Their kitchen is awesome.

Hill Farmstead is the only brewery I would say meets this criteria for me.

bubseymour and jonphisher like this.
  23. johnyb

johnyb Defender (677) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

“Picks up mic”

Have to second this, and not just for the “hyped” beer releases/lines as they are definitely worth it. Their hype is all about the pastry stout, but if you sample their wares across other styles they are consistently good. Always a pleasure hitting one of their events as they’re well run and a cool vibe. Their staff and ownership also all solid human beings. I live 100 miles away, but AC is worth the effort for this guy.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  24. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,329) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Other Half probably gets the most hype in the NYC area and they deserve it..their IPA's are top notch and have greatly improved their Stouts over the last year or so, but other breweries around here are just as good but don't have quite the frenzied following (Finback, Sand City to name a few) as I find they are pretty much producing at the same levels (quality wise) as OH

AnthonyDAngelo likes this.
  25. detpizzaboi

detpizzaboi Aspirant (263) Feb 10, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

I'm not sure how the quality used to be, but the recent IPAs I've had (Shades, Upside, All Sides, Crumple, Hedge, Skip Pass, Tubes) have all been very good. Been drinking them alongside a Treehouse/Alchemist/Hill Farmstead stash I collected recently in New England, and they're not quite as good but they definitely hold their own in my opinion. The Sour IPAs are fantastic too, the Metaform series in particular. For what it's worth, Treehouse and Hill Farmstead definitely lived up to the hype for me, and as I've been working through my Heady/Focal stockpile I've come to really appreciate those brews too.

The kitchen is excellent.

Sheppard likes this.
  26. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Morning Wood is FB’s best, and highest rated, beer...and some of the year it sits on the shelf at $29.99 at TW, etc. I like it a lot and agree that it’s similar to and as good as the adjuncty stouts AC puts out...since this is a “hype” thread, AC is one of many poster children...add Hidden Springs to my list - similar scarcity marketing, long release day line, 1 bottle limit, sells out in an hour or two...and well made tasty beer for those who want big sweet syrup BA adjuncty stouts...

27. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Owner/brewer is such a gracious cool guy, and all the folks who work at AC are super friendly too. For such a little space, the release events are well run and fun. And his BA Stouts are phenomenal, again, if you like “pastry” stouts. Cheers!

28. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (355) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Goose and Rev are worth it

johnyb likes this.
  29. Everythingismilhouse

Everythingismilhouse Initiate (16) May 24, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I won't chase their beers or even try to trade for them, but when I visited Tampa last fall I stopped there and got to try a few and even their pilsner was pretty damn good. I had a much better time there, and Cigar City than I did at Cycle.

DoctorZombies and johnyb like this.
  30. BeastOfTheNortheast

New Trail isn't hyped up yet, but give it time.

scurfie likes this.
  31. BeastOfTheNortheast

Well, I have had Treehouse stuff and it is well worth the hype.

Amendm likes this.
  32. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,876) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

For me, the big 3 are:

Tree House - I'm an admitted Tree House fanboy. Their IPA's are what drives their volume but their stouts are among the best I've ever had.

Hill Farmstead - My favorite overall brewery. Every beer is great. Every style Sean touches is turned into gold. The atmosphere and beauty of the farmstead is New England incarnate. Perfection.

Other Half - While their stouts are lacking IMO, their hoppy beers are easily some of the best out there. Lactose or no lactose, these guys know how to make a NEIPA.

I will also give a shout-out to Founders. When they first came to NH, minds were blown. Their beers lived up to the hype and then some. And despite the hype train leaving the station, their beers are still fantastic.

#72 ScaryEd, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Amendm, nc41 and denver10 like this.
  33. scurfie

scurfie Devotee (416) Apr 6, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society

Troegs. They are always brewing beers that you can only buy at their brewery. Right now my favorite brew is their Nimble Giant so I guess I am biased.

Rocktire and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  34. BeastOfTheNortheast

Nimble Giant is ridiculously good.

scurfie and Rocktire like this.
  35. MikeDalrymple

MikeDalrymple Initiate (65) Sep 20, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Here in Michigan, Transient. Speciation is also great but Transient has been amazing!

zebra6331 likes this.
  36. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (1,773) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I have two breweries that I think a worth the hype....
    Root and Branch and The Other half.....

tinoynk likes this.
  37. TigerMouth61

TigerMouth61 Disciple (319) Nov 28, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I’ll wait in line for Hill Farmstead, Tree House, and Trillium. Pretty much everywhere else in NEw England if there is a line, it’s not worth waiting; just go to another great brewery without a line.

bubseymour and Amendm like this.
  38. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (123) Feb 25, 2013 California

In Northern California, Fieldwork. They have like 5 or 6 locations now. Their releases roll out so fresh and flavorful. They do the big 3 hype types: hazebros, flavored stouts, and flavored kettle sours. They also barrel age, blend, and bottle age. The cool release schedule of annuals, semi-frequents, randoms, one-offs, collabs. Always something new and something familiar returning.

lucius10 likes this.
  39. LGHT

LGHT Zealot (502) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Horus, 3 Chiefs, Monkish in that order. I don't care if Horus is $40 a bottle and Monkish is $22 a 4 pack I'll buy everything all 3 brewers release no matter what the costs yes I think they are that good.

40. Berkbill

Berkbill Initiate (71) Jun 28, 2014 Vermont

I live in Northern Vt. Hill Farmstead and Alchemist worth the hype. Also Foley Brothers is a great little brewery.

AirBob and spersichilli like this.