What "hype breweries" are actually worth their hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer_Stan, Jul 7, 2019.

1. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (227) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I don't drink NEIPAs, and the other things they are canning in that format aren't worth that price. I'm more than happy to buy a case (or two) of UCBC lagers at $8-$9 in 16oz 4-packs. I'm glad you are so offended by the fact that I have a $$ limit I'm not willing to spend more than though.

2. Jim777

Jim777 Initiate (25) Nov 16, 2018 New Jersey

Cape May makes a couple of really outstanding beers. I tend towards Flying Fish myself as I'm maybe 2 miles from the brewery, but New Jersey is making some fine beers, no doubt.

3. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm not sure if there's any breweries in NC that get significant hype, i.e. lines out the door for every new release. The closest I can think of is Burial, just because they're so consistent in putting out good quality beers, regardless of style.

winehead247 and bubseymour like this.
  4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,617) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I feel like Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon are absolutely hype-worthy. Many other lambics are as well...but those two are my favorites.
    Westvleteren as well, although it's not even my favorite Trappist/Abbey beer. That doesn't mean it isn't wonderful, though.
    On the US side of things, I feel like Trillium and Great Notion are absolutely worthy of the talk they get. Some others...not so much. Especially that "other" hazy brewery in MA. I just don't get it.
    Sometimes it feels like they're forgotten in the mix of hype and geeky dumbassery, but I've never had a beer from Hill Farmstead I felt was less than wonderful.

In CO, most of our hype revolves around Weldwerks and Casey. I'm a huge fan of Casey. Hype-worthy for sure. Weldwerks does what they do rather well. Not a big fan of their 50-million SKU's, but their beers are usually solid.

winehead247 and cavedave like this.
  5. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (331) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I 100% agree with this view. Modern Times is probably my favorite local brewery and their beers are definitely worth the hype. Like you my biggest issue with them is the price of their special release BA beers. While I did pull the trigger on some of their special releases a few years ago, $30 to $35 is just too much period when there are so many quality beers these days for less. As you also stated, their regular releases that get distributed virtually everywhere here are absolutely delicious and the quality of the beers is always top notch. I don't think I've ever had even a below average beer from them.

Nationally, Hill Farmstead is the only brewery that is worth acquiring to me and they absolutely live up to the hype they receive. Their beers are just done so well. Everett is the absolute best porter, and potentially overall best beer, that I felt I've ever had. Their beers are just so clean and balanced which is what seems to be most important to me these days. The quality that you get from them is only matched by a few breweries, as most seem to just rely on the popularity of NEIPAs and gimmicky stouts to sell beer.

6. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (343) Apr 29, 2012 California

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Love Modern Times beers, I buy them when I see them fresh, which unfortunately is rare. Totally agree about HF, clean and balanced is a great description, no tricks, just great beers. Just a super talented brewing team, and perhaps they help themselves here by not having a large footprint.

winehead247 likes this.
  8. gr8ful

gr8ful Initiate (89) Aug 17, 2014 Texas

as much as I enjoy craft beer, it would be hard to justify regularly paying those prices. I knew stuff is generally more expensive in Ca,and NE, but didn't realize prices were that high. Ouch!

Squire likes this.
  9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,306) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

At some point I just said enough.

gr8ful and Doma like this.
  10. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

I'm not paying for a 4-pack more/close I'd pay for a decent bottle of bourbon. And I like beer.

gr8ful and Squire like this.
  11. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

$30-35 for a bomber or, say, OGD, WT101, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek, etc. Thanks, but no thanks. Let beer be beer. In my mind beer is supposed to be a good and affordable drink that could sometimes work as a warm up for something more substantial on my palate.

12. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

Beer now is much, much more than what it used to be. This site exists because there are so many great beers out there worth seeking and talking about.

I agree that a lot of the special release or seasonal beer pricing has gotten out of hand (many other threads on this), and that's part of why I still refuse to pay for a membership, but the current thread is about some of the best beer out there that is often worth the higher cost.

For many of us, there will be only one beverage for the night, and that is the beer. A big, malty beer that does the job and is extremely enjoyable. At least that's the way stouts, barleywines, wee heavies, etc. are for me.

Additionaly, some of us don't enjoy liquor as much, or we can't drink it for whatever reason. We're all different!

13. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (763) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I mean for 30 or 35 bucks you kinda gotta know your way around wine to get a good deal. I've been told by the most reliable sources I know on the subject that if you don't care about wine you might as well seek out an 8 or 12$ bottle, or splurge on an 80$ bottle. Many a 35$ bottle is just straight bad. And with many of these big stouts hitting in the teens in ABV, wine is the most comparable beverage. I will take a very good modern american stout over a mediocre american wine any day of the week.

As for bourbon, I'm liable to drink the whole bottle in one sitting too, and that isn't going to end well for anyone. so for my level of self control I'd rather do the beer thing (for the record though, I am not in the habit of paying that much for a single fancy beer)

AllOfTheCats likes this.
  14. RexFerrin

RexFerrin Initiate (93) Oct 18, 2010 New York
    Trader

Mortalis in Avon, NY. Their stouts are incredible, but most people will line up for their Hydras/Sours. Their IPA's can be hit or miss IMO. They only release cans/crowlers on Thursday and Sunday and typically sell out within 30-60 mins of opening.

Coronaeus likes this.
  15. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,775) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I think it somewhat becomes equal due to higher average wage/salary, but I agree with your point. Taxes and real estate discrepancy is worse than the craft beer/food discrepancy, at least in my personal experience.

gr8ful likes this.
  16. adam36

adam36 Aspirant (208) Jun 13, 2016 Illinois

In the Chi-Town area:
    Worth the Hype: Pipeworks, Lagunitas, Half-Acre

Deserve more Hype: Marz, Pollyanna, Maplewood, Buckledown, Sketchbook, Mikerphone, Noon Whistle, Hop Butchers of the World, Solemn Oath, Tighthead

Over-hyped: Goose Island

17. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (68) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

outside of Maplewood, couldnt disagree more with these lists.

not only the names but also the category.

by the way, having 10 favorites within any category sorta devalues the definition of the word...