What if...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Nov 5, 2019.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,168) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I’m just sitting back here on a Monday night enjoying another amazing offering from Monkish (one of my current favorite breweries), and I can’t help but think about one of my other used to be favorite breweries, Alpine Beer Company. Before the whole Green Flash mess, Alpine had a “handshake deal” with Cold Spring Brewing in Minnesota. Well, unfortunately that fell through and Alpine went another way and here we are. But as I sit here drinking an amazing beer, thinking about some of my once favorite beers, I can’t help but think, “What if?” What if that deal went through. Would Nelson IPA and all the rest of Alpine still be OG quality? I don’t know. I can only sit here and think, “What if?”

Do you guys have any “What if?” feelings or stories?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

I suspect Green Flash did a better job brewing those beers than Cold Spring would have.

Alefflicted likes this.
  3. RaulMondesi

Trader

If Green Flash was competent, they wouldn’t have gone bankrupt. Like I said, “What if?”

Amendm and beertunes like this.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Has you not had anything from Cold Spring?

TrojanRB, Alefflicted, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  5. RaulMondesi

Trader

Haha. Good call. I have not.

Amendm and beertunes like this.
  6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (932) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

What if in the late 1960's Philip Morris had brought P. Ballantine and Sons instead of Miller Brewing?

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,814) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

What if Toppling Goliath hadn't decided to limit production of KBBS and instead made enough for at least some distribution? Could they have maintained the cult status it has and would it be the #1 beer on BeerAdvocate? Last I heard there were no dragon's teeth, unicorn hairs, or phoenix feathers in it so no apparent barrier to higher production. Once a year they disappoint and alienate thousands of potential customers, some of which have given up on TG all-together. What if they ramped up production?

8. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,708) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

But if they ramp up production it Won't Be As Good As It Was Last Year. Plus I Won't Understand The Cult Status/Hype For A Beer That's Just OK. (See KBS/CBS.) Do we really need more Self Turds taking up space from NEIPAs? :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

Lucular, alert, K-jack211 and 10 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,346) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

“What if” I never went to Bamberg? Would I have dedicated so much time and energy obsessing about a beverage?

I remember my girlfriend at the time saying, “I bought us plane tickets to go to Germany because I know you always wanted to go there.” I responded, “Huh, I never wanted to go to Germany... but great, let’s go.” That was the beginning of the end.

Lucular, MrUse, chrismattlin and 28 others like this.
  10. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,625) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I could probably come up with a 100 "What If" entries just for Stone, DFH, and Sam Adams.

11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Even though Doc prohibited me from consuming beer/alcohol (and pretty much everything else I enjoy) it doesn't mean I can't read and think about beer, right?

What if these businesses combined forces and names?

-King David's Brewing Company + Toppling Goliath = David And Goliath Brewing Company
    -Stone Brewery + Cold Beer Company + Dead Bear Brewing = Stone Cold Dead Beer Company
    -Islip Cold Beer + Fall Brewing Company = Islip and Fall Brewing
    -Catskill Brewery + Three Blind Mice Brewery = Catskill Mice Brewery
    -Jackie O's + Robinson Beer + Brooklyn Brewery + Liquid Hero = Jackie Robinson Brooklyn Hero Brewery
    -The Hay Merchant Bar + Kid Rip's Tavern + Old Europe Tavern = Hay Kid Europe Tavern

12. zid

Society Trader

Sobriety can do funny things to one’s mind. :wink:

13. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (579) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I appreciate (and am surprised by) your awareness of my closest local bottle shop. It's been in the same spot forever (50+ years and with who knows how many owners), but not exactly an iconic landmark. Did you formerly live down in this part of Suffolk County?

cavedave and Amendm like this.
  14. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (181) Oct 6, 2004 California

What if Korbel had never thought to open a little brewery side project in the late 90's?

bstyle, Amendm and dennis3951 like this.
  15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (932) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I was there once good food better beer.

Amendm likes this.
  16. zid

Society Trader

One of the biggest “what ifs” for modern beer is -

“What if” Fritz Maytag didn’t buy Anchor?

17. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,819) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What if Celis hadn't sold to Miller who immediately ran them into the ground? Did Miller do that on purpose, because it seems odd that they were able to destroy a great brewery so quickly.

Alefflicted, TongoRad, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  18. Amendm

Amendm Defender (610) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I tried Bad Boy a few years ago before I started reviewing, it was an eye-opener.
    If the Cold Spring deal did go through my hope would be that Alpine Beers would have better distro in my region and of course remain at O.G. quality.

19. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,819) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Wait... is that a really big "what if"? Anchor would've gone under, steam beer would have become a historic beer, and others would have eventually taken up the charge. The only question is who would have taken up the charge and when - it was bound to happen.

thesherrybomber and Amendm like this.
  20. zid

Society Trader

I’m not so sure what the current picture would look like if Fritz didn’t step in. Maybe I see it as more of a house of cards than something inevitable.

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,886) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Not that you know of. :wink:

RaulMondesi and beertunes like this.
  22. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (181) Oct 6, 2004 California

This one always makes me a little sad. Who knows if Celis would have survived independently or with another investor, but Miller certainly made sure they didn't.

TongoRad likes this.
  23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,337) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

If I lived in the world of what if I'd still be with my first wife. I live in the world of what is and beer is a companion that won't cost me alimony.

24. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (579) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

What if the 'original family recipe' on which Jim Koch based Samuel Adams Boston lager had been a schwarzbier, or a style even less approachable, instead of a Vienna lager?

25. jstilwell

jstilwell Zealot (589) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

For some Northeast US hypotheticals...What if Trillium never changed their "fermentation profile"?, Would Treehouse still be expanding?
    What if hill Farmstead distributed to 20 states, would it still be as coveted?

jrc1093 likes this.
  26. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (126) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

What if Craft Beer was perpetually stuck in one particular era of prominence (hazy era, west coast ipa, german lager, etc)?
    What if formerly independent Craft Breweries were never bought out, where would they be now?

jrc1093, tolar111 and KRug like this.
  27. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,123) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

What if my college roommate never told me about this website he signed up for, where you could write beer reviews and find events and get food & beer recipes and ask other homebrewers why my homebrewed Amber Ale turned out so shitty? (It was the fermentation temps).

28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,294) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

What if I'd missed Wine Club on the night Hy-Vee previewed their holiday show and served Fresh Squeezed and Black Butte Porter along with the wines?

StubFaceJoe and beertunes like this.
  29. readyski

readyski Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

The elephant in the room would be - what if the Brothers didn't start Beer Advocate? I know my life would be sadder and I would not be as knowledgable about all things beer (and other things :wink:)

30. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,160) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I feel you, and God bless your right arm, sir. I have the same feeling, but it's more on the side of what if Alpine just kept things status quo. I might have moved to San Diego by now. Cheers!

RaulMondesi likes this.
  31. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,814) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

What if Goose Island hadn't sold out to AB

dcotom and GuyFawkes like this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,886) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

What if Jimmy Carter didn't sign the bill H.R. 1337?

33. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (374) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

What if Samuel Adam's Utopias came in regular, 750mL cork and cage bottles? Would it still cost $200-300 a bottle?

What if it was in 12 oz bottles for $20 a piece?

What if...

#33 DISKORD, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  34. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

Competent brewing and competent business are totally different. Green Flash was a decent brewery when they started. The problem was they didn't feel the need to hire someone competent to run things when they started to grow.

35. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

What if Charlie Papazian hadn't been so successful as an advocate for homebrew?

So many great craft beers/brewers owe their genesis to The Joy of Homebrewing or at least to the idea that the average person could make above average beer. Home brewers and craft beer drinkers owe much to Charlie P.

36. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,159) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

What if all 50 states allowed alcohol shipment from breweries to our doorsteps?

This seems to be in the way right now.

Section 2 of the 21st Amendment, however, hands over enforcement of alcohol laws to the states, banning importation of the substance if a state's law prevents it. Thus, a federal pronouncement that proved unenforceable on a national level became a state pronouncement, shifting the enforcement burden to the state level as well. The result was a new revenue creation: the liquor license.

Maybe Dan Okrent was right, some forms of prohibition still exist in our state laws.

Because I would be able to go online to say Russian river, order up some fresh pliney and drink and enjoy.

37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’d jump on the Alpine disaster. I had a contact in SD and I got Alpine beers on my doorstep that were 12 days old once a month. Just tremendous beers every one of them. I never cared for Green Flash beers, they just didn’t work for me.

38. zid

Society Trader

What if Michael Jackson only wrote about cheese?

39. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,085) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Imagine how long the order queue would be if this happened.

laketang and JrGtr like this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Lol.

zid likes this.