What is the hoppiest beer around?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Smythe, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smythe

Smythe Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Kansas

Tried Boulevard Heavy Lifting IPA, and noticed it registered at 80 IBUs, which is I believe the highest IBU I've run across. Made me wonder. Whats the highest IBU around?

sudswapper likes this.
  2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

3. WillDavis707

WillDavis707 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 California

Highest listed IBU I've seen is Napa Smith Hopageddon @ 144 IBU. I've also had Mikkeller 1000 IBU. Not sure if that was the actual IBUs of the beer of just a catchy name for it.

4. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,026) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

not sure what the actual highest IBU i've ever had is but it is definitely past 80.

also from what i understand, biologically, the human tongue can only taste up to 100. everything past 100 tastes the same as 100. so a beer at 150 ibu tastes the same as 100 ibu. roughly speaking, you may notice a slight difference but 50 is much more different from 100 than 150 is from 100.

Ranbot and PeterParker like this.
  5. Trosevear

Trosevear Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 Canada (AB)

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is 107 and Stone Ruinten is 114 hahah

upsbeernut and DaverCS like this.
  6. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Mikkeller's 1000IBU was not drinkable, unless you like a glass full of Asprins with Carbonation?

7. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Hoppyiest does not equal most bitter (IBU).

However, if looking for hoppy bitter torture--try Molyan's Hopsickle or their quad IPA.

Not my thing and I love IPAs.

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum. When it says 100 IBUs they mean it!

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,225) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ranbot likes this.
  10. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

That sounds about right. I'm not positive of the exact numbers, but I know you can only taste bitterness to a certain level before it becomes pointless to add any IBUs.

11. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,235) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

Highest I've come across was Hop Mess Monster V2.0 1066ibu

Relik likes this.
  12. ScottDawg7

ScottDawg7 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2015 Georgia

According to that list, highest one I've had is Devil Dancer. Don't see Straight to Ale Gorillanaut on the list, but it's description says 275 IBU, have had it too. Doubtful I'll buy either of these two again.

13. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,033) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Agreed. This is a bitter as I have had.

14. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

Hop 15 but that was years ago.

gshak likes this.
  15. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Short's the Liberator is 300+

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  16. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,203) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Hoppiest is an interesting question, because there is a lot more to being hoppy than bitterness. Anyways, in terms of IBUs, you see all kinds of crazy IBU's reported on beers, interestingly some of the highest reported IBU beers don't even taste that bitter to me. Someone more knowledgable in the brewing process and IBUs can explain I'm sure, but I believe its because IBU is based off of alpha acid concentration only and doesn't take into account other ingredients of the beer (and most "big beers" with huge reported IBUs also have higher concentrations of malts to balance which brings down the perceived bitterness of the beer).

In terms of straight up most hoppy-bitter beer I've ever had, I'd have to go with Hopsickle.

17. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,203) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

This list goes along with what I was saying. The two highest beers I've had on this list are Devil Dancer, and UnEarthly. UnEarthly is decent but not at all particularly bitter IMO. Devil Dancer is a sweet, boozy mess with bitterness only being an afterthought.

18. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2013 Maine

Just because I had them tonight, maybe, but Headroom and Julius. Wow, hoppy!

19. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

Go get yourself a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and prepare for your taste buds to be jack hammered with unbalanced hop bitterness. IBU measurement is deceiving. This beer has no malt backbone sweetness to balance out the assault of alpha acids.

20. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (467) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

I'm not an ipa guy had SN hoptimum and it blew my palate off ....certainly as bitter and hoppy as I could imagine.

21. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

Knee Deep Simtra is 131. It's delicious

22. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,908) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This question gets asked alot my answer to the question has always been Flat Earth Northwest Passage with IBU'S @ 115 this brew could take paint off wood

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  23. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Straight to Ale Gorillanaut weighs in at ~275 IBU. Probably not the highest, but enough to strip the enamel off your teeth.

[​IMG]

24. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Flying Monkey Alpha Fornication, brewed once as an experiment, was allegedly almost 2500 IBUs. The reviews for it say it looks like pea soup.

25. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,317) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I believe the hoppiest IPA and IBUs I have had is 108 IBUs for Hoptopus DIPA from Reaver Beach brewing in VA> Beach, VA..Resin by Sixpoint is also very high..........................Cheers !!

26. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

The highest IBU beers I have had off the top of my head are Resin and Hop Stoopid. They are not the most bitter though.

I thought Surly Abrasive was toward the top of the list. I would also say Stone Arrogant Bastard and Thunderstruck, and Evil Twin Molotov.

27. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

More IBUs don't necessarily mean hoppier. For example, DFH's 120 Minute IPA has 120 IBUs, but the malts register more than the hops do. To me, a super hoppy beer is one that's insufficiently balanced, which isn't what I look for in IPAs.

WesMantooth and msigona85 like this.
  28. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 New York

Singlecut BonBon TnT DIPA IBU:143 and 200 Watt Full Stack comes in at a whopping 179 IBU's

29. MrUse

MrUse Aspirant (277) Jun 20, 2015 Minnesota

My personal highest is Moylans Hop Craic XXXXIPA...I believe the bars beer menu said 120 ibu....it was good but one tulip was plenty.

SanFranJake and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  30. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Maharajah.
    Ruin 10
    Simtra
    Hop Shortage
    Hopsickle.

SanFranJake likes this.
  31. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Not my thing either but several years ago I had a fresh hopped version and holy shit was it good. I've never seen it since and to this day wonder if it wasn't a hop induced dream.

32. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Awesome beer. But not the bitter palate wrecker Hopsickle is. Craic was actually citrus deliciousness. At least at the Novato source.

33. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I've got to ask, what exactly are you looking for? Strictly bitterness or hop flavor? IBU's really don't tell the entire story when it comes to flavor.

surfcaster and drtth like this.
  34. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (81) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

I don't want to sound bitter (huehue) but....
    IBUs is a stupid metric that you can't use to compare different beers because the chemical compounds that constitute bitterness can be overshadowed or complimented by many other variables in each beer. 80 IBUs in one beer can be completely different from 80 IBUs in another beer.

WesMantooth, 5thOhio, drtth and 2 others like this.
  35. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Exponential Hoppiness

36. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Fresh Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is still probably the hoppiest beer I've ever had, although Stone RuinTen is a close second.

mastema likes this.
  37. WalkerHater

WalkerHater Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015 Northern Ireland

No mention yet for Palate Wrecker? The next day, other IPA's tasted like Bud Light. Pretty bad day

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. choicegrinds

choicegrinds Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 New York

Evil twin molotov lite was insanely bitter. IBUs really mean nothing though. More a guideline

mpmcguire11 and WesMantooth like this.
  39. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

We must live on different planets. Hop Stoopid is very sweet and malty (like all Lagunitas). And yes I have had it recently fresh on on draft. My consistent experiences over the years couldn't be anymore different than your description.

40. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (552) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

I wouldn't believe the IBUs on a label. They're usually calculated, not measured, and the calculations aren't 100% accurate. I'd put money on the measured IBUs of most beers being considerably lower than those claimed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.