What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,918) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

OMG! Still working on a beer from last year, Atwood/Boundary Operation Warm!

Hoppy New Beers everyone!

kemoarps, Roguer, woemad and 5 others like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,517) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Pre rose bowl warm up with a glass of pfreim pils. Reliably excellent as always.

Should pair well with the chorizo nachos the wife is whipping up.

3. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (48) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

What if I'm just drinking it in the northwest but it isn't a northwest beer?

distantmantra likes this.
  4. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Not really supposed to post it, but people make mistakes all the time. I've lost track of the number of times I've personally made this particular mistake.

On that note, am now drinking a pfriem mosaic pale. Excellent, and pairs quite well with chorizo nachos. In a bit, I'll see how well it pairs with Di-gel.

#4 John_M, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  5. beertunes

Society Trader

Since I'm team player, I'm helping to kill off the Party Shirt IPA from Boundary Bay.
    Earlier, Monika, Tyler, and I finished off the last couple bottles they brought up, a Hampshire 1 and a Ruse sour. We then hit K1, before they rolled back south.

kemoarps, woemad, Lingenbrau and 2 others like this.
  6. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,079) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Finishing off a Heater Allen Sandy Paws Baltic Porter that I didn't finish last year.

kemoarps, afrokaze, woemad and 4 others like this.
  7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now drinking a Bend Brewing tropical pines ipa. Just cracked it open, and just like that, the ducks started playing better and have taken the lead.

Might nurse this glass for a bit.

#7 John_M, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  8. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,649) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

I know @NWer is not a fan, but I am. Spruce. Given graciously. You're welcome. Thank you.

Is my conversation with the king.

[​IMG]

kemoarps, Griggsy, woemad and 5 others like this.
  9. beertunes

Society Trader

Hellshire 1.

kemoarps, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  10. NWer

NWer Crusader (791) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Hellshire 1 is what? 10 years old? How was it?

kemoarps, woemad and beertunes like this.
  11. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Now at the local watering hole enjoying a glass of Grains Of Wrath, Papermaker Pale while watching the game. Complimentary cheese platter is a nice touch. Cheers.

[​IMG]

12. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Fort George, Matryoshka with Vanilla and Blueberries.

[​IMG]

13. beertunes

Society Trader

9 years, I think. Perhaps a bit oxidized, and the flavors were muted, but, when I get around to entering the review, it's gonna still get a good score. Tyler didn't care for it, but I thought it was still pretty good. The alcohol heat was faded, but there was still nice bourbon and wood aspects.

kemoarps, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now drinking a Sunriver make it a spade dude, in the hope the ducks can persevere and bring it on home. Christ, what a rose bowl.

Nice beer, but a bit sweeter and maltier than I prefer. Still pretty tasty though.

15. NWer

Ushering in the New Year with a B3K. Delicious. [​IMG]

kemoarps, DefenCorps, woemad and 8 others like this.
  16. vurt

Society

Leftovers, Pt. 2: Drinking a very festive can of Georgetown Meowsa, one of the most dangerously drinkable Double IPAs I have ever met.

I dig leftovers.

kemoarps, DefenCorps, woemad and 4 others like this.
  17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Still enjoying make it a spade dude. Have had a few beers today, but just can't resist...

"Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers!"

18. beertunes

Society Trader

And Ducks fans wonder why we consider them the Alabama of the NW.

kemoarps, woemad and John_M like this.
  19. NWer

We do? I thought it was Puyallup.

kemoarps, woemad, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I have no idea how to take that. I'm not sure if it's a complement or an insult.

I'm no crimson crud fan, so I'll happily accept this as a well deserved insult. :sunglasses:

21. beertunes

Society Trader

Ya gotta 'splain everything to Crimson Tide and Duck fans. :wink:

22. beertunes

Society Trader

We look upon our beloved Coug breathren with the benevolence of the enlightened.

Hell, IIRC, they got more students than residents.

kemoarps, woemad and rrock44 like this.
  23. NWer

??? I said Puyallup not Pullman. You gotta 'splain everything to the enlightened of the North :|

kemoarps, woemad and beertunes like this.
  24. beertunes

Society Trader

Ooopsie.

Let's see if I can put Lynden as a location on my profile.

Go Cougs.

kemoarps, woemad and NWer like this.
  25. vurt

Society

Leftovers, Pt. 3: A can of Heater Allen Dunkel which I didn't get around to enjoying yesterday.

Just a lovely example of the style. (Dunkel, not leftover.)

kemoarps, DefenCorps, woemad and 3 others like this.
  26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Can't speak for duck fans, but I know Representative Alvin Holmes would be greatly insulted by your insinuation of Crimson Tide fans.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  27. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (495) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Drinking a can of Ex Novo’s Never More. Sweet, smoky, boozy goodness.

kemoarps, woemad, Lingenbrau and 2 others like this.
  28. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,627) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Well since i am an ardent Cascadian Republic ( N.Cali included) sort of guy.i feel comfortable including my blast from the past beer ..drinking a wonderful Old Rasputin..geez this is still a great beer after all these years and at a great price

29. beertunes

Society Trader

I have adopted North Coast as a NW brewery in the same way I've adopted Selkirk Abbey as a NW brewery: they don't technically fit the criteria, but, the are of us.

kemoarps, woemad, John_M and 2 others like this.
  30. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Stayed home today to allow the Frau for some more uninterrupted recovery time. Luckily for me, that means beer during normal work hours and playing with the kiddos in the backyard. A remote control Gravedigger monster truck is the perfect gift for a three year old, by the way. Cheers.

[​IMG]

31. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Now enjoying another delight from Chuckanut, a very well made Kölsch. Lively and "spritzy" carbonation with a good balance of bread and dried grass. If there's anything to knock, it's a bit watery and muted. Definitely refreshing and simply gorgeous in the glass.

[​IMG]

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It's pretty clear that a lot of people must agree with your assessment of Old Raspy. I think N. Coast has been brewing it for more than 30 years now.

Quick story... When I was a resident of Memphis many moons ago, my then girlfriend and I were camping on the Mendocino coast during a vacation trip and we stopped by the then new and fledgling brewpub. I'd had N. Coast stuff at some beerfest, so we were familiar with their beers and knew they were pretty good. I think this was in the late 80's. Anyway, they had the old Rasputin on tap, but you could only get it in 8 ounce glasses as I recall, with a limit of two per person. This was because (we were told) of the extremely high alcohol. I think they also had it on nitro, which at the time was pretty unusual.

At the time, it was by far and away the best stout I'd ever tasted (though I should mention that in them days, not many breweries were making a RIS). While the beer no longer strikes me as exceptional (and the abv. seems modest by today's standards), imho it still remains a reliably solid impy stout.

My wife and I visit the Mendocino/Ft. Bragg area every year at the end of January, and there's never a time we fail to stop by the N. Coast brewpub. The cask red seal and nitro rasputin are as good as they were 30 years ago. Outside of SF and Chico, I don't think many breweries can say that.

33. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,346) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

My 1st beer of 2020 is a CDA from Single Hill that's...Weird.
    [​IMG]
    Not a huge amount of dark malts, it's actually way more mid-malty than I'd have expected, and that's before things turn to...bubble gum.

34. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (495) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Drank a Ferment Pale last night - just delicious. I can see why it won a GABF gold. Have I mentioned here before how much I love Ferment? I might have, once or twice.

kemoarps, woemad, Lingenbrau and 4 others like this.
  35. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (175) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

I took a long holiday road trip and on the way back made a stop at Woodland Empire in Boise. Picked up a six-pack of their City of Trees Idaho pale ale and it's great. Nice, clean west coast style IPA with tons of pine, a bit of citrus, a light malt body. Highly recommend this one and I'm definitely picking up more next time I'm in Boise.

kemoarps, woemad, Lingenbrau and 3 others like this.
  36. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt and I dropped by Ex Novo Beaverton to check out the new Brewer's Edition of Eliot IPA. ("We tweaked the malts a bit, slightly higher ABV, and a different combo of hops, with Citra, El Dorado, and Galaxy.")

Very tasty, with an excellent finishing bitterness. Not sure it's better than the original, but you should definitely try it if you see it.

37. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Wether or not you have, please continue. And I will similarly keep mentioning how much I think Woodsman Porter may be one of the best Porter's I've had time and time again.

vurt and jason_nwx like this.
  38. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

And here's where I might get some boo birds. While I still rated this relatively high (4.09), that is well below the average (-9.7%). It's a delicious beer no doubt, but resembles a "Winter Ale" only in the sense of the timing it was released. This thing is all stout. Albeit, a stout can be released just as easily in winter, and they too are ales...

[​IMG]

Hi, finger.

kemoarps, woemad, jason_nwx and 2 others like this.
  39. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,854) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Back home, drinking a Maple Porter from Block 15. It is quite tasty

kemoarps, woemad, NWer and 3 others like this.
  40. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,552) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Wow...I haven't had a Northwest beer yet this year. I'm enjoying "Unicorn Rides" from Spellwagen in Marshfield Massachusetts right now.

woemad likes this.