What percentage is your IPA consumption?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ESHBG, Nov 18, 2019.

?

% IPA Consumption?

1. 100%

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 75%

116 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. 50%

93 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. 25%

76 vote(s)
    23.9%
  5. 0%

28 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (264) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Lately I haven't been drinking many IPAs and really have no desire to, big difference from a few years ago and curious as to what the general consensus is. I wanted this poll to be pretty simple and round to the closest choice e.g. if it's about 65% go for 75%.

Also, are your habits any different when you are drinking out vs at home?

2. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,817) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I put 75%. I’d be happy at 50% but doesn’t seem to always work out. I love BA Wild ales, but a lot are 750s. Can’t always crack one open on my own.
    I am trying to currently drink down my cellar which includes a lot of big stouts. Hard to move quickly when they are large format at 12-16% ABV.
    I can drink 3 IPAs to every high ABV Stout, hence the 75%.

If I’m driving I’m drinking an IPA or 2 instead of a high ABV Stout. But if my wife is driving I may choose some options other than IPA when out.

micada, Premo88, Bshaw22 and 8 others like this.
  3. bigstar87

bigstar87 Initiate (105) Oct 5, 2018 Wisconsin

I voted 50%; I usually buy about a months worth of beer at a time and always try to mix in at least a couple Belgians, a 6 pack or two of a lager and something like a brown ale/stout/porter with whatever ipa that I can find fresh

Ahypercube, Premo88, Bshaw22 and 3 others like this.
  4. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I have no interest in haze, juice, double or dark.

Doesn't mean I've not tried them but as a % of any kind of regular consumption- 0%

5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,362) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Overall, 25%. IPA's are my favorite style of beer to drink for sure, but I do like some balance. If I bring home a 6-pack (or 12) of IPA's then I'm almost certainly bringing home some stouts or sours as well.

To answer your 2nd question, absolutely. I prefer a fresh IPA on draft versus pretty much anything else.

Peach63, Shanex, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  6. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Aspirant (201) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Out, Miller lite is my bread and butter, can’t drive after 4 plus ipas.

Amendm and ESHBG like this.
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,356) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Less than 1%

thesherrybomber, Amendm and ESHBG like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,103) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Up until three months ago, the answer would have been about 0% as I've always been a dark beer fan, and avoided bitter and sour beers. About three months ago I decided to explore sours and IPAs, and started getting the monthly offerings from Drekker, so now I drink around 20% IPAs and sours. They'll never be my favorite but I don't mind them and they open up more options when the craft selection is limited, particularly in summer months.

9. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,634) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

Apparently, based on my reviews, I’m at 30% I have a feeling the actual percentage is higher, like 50%, for all the reasons above. For example, after a trip to Michigan in the summer I drank more Two Hearted than anything else for almost two months, and that’s something the review percentage wouldn’t reflect.

10. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,190) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I'd say 50%, then lagers pilsner stouts porters etc... sprinkle in some other German styles and you got it.

11. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,142) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Including all six variants of IPA, I am at about 11%, of reviewed beers. It is difficult to guess the unreviewed beers. However that may be a little more just because the range of variety is lower in pubs and restaurants. I do enjoy variety.

JediMasterLenin and ESHBG like this.
  12. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,591) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

2% at most. I got tired of the overkill early on.

bigstar87, FBarber, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  13. Amendm

Amendm Defender (644) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

All IPAs combined;
    AIPA 15
    NEIPA 15
    Brut IPA 4
    Belgian IPA 1
    35 out of 265= about 13.21% (closer to 25% than 0%)

My top two styles are;
    25 American Pale Ale
    20 Marzen/Oktoberfest for 16.98%

My 1st year of "craft" beer drinking would have been around 80%.

rozzom, Shanex and ESHBG like this.
  14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'll still grab one if it interests me but really don't go to the store specifically looking for them.

bigstar87, Ranbot, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,422) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

This describes my drinking style pretty well, so I'm voting 25% without creating my own explanation by piggy-backing on your post. :slight_smile:

Shanex, ESHBG and Bigrock like this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,164) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

All told they are about 50% of the beers I've reviewed here, over that if you count APAs as well. And shelf IPAs are the most common beers sitting in my fridge, shoot I've gone through almost a case and a half of celebration already this year and I'm not done. I put 75%, a well balanced american IPA is the beer I want most often.

ESHBG and Peach63 like this.
  17. JBogan

JBogan Champion (836) Jul 15, 2007 California

Somewhere between 10-25%. I'm not much of fan of IPAs to be honest and the percentage would be even lower if there were a greater number of non IPAs to choose from.

Unfortunately though whenever I purchase a variety pack there are at least one or more IPAs in there. Whenever I want to order beer at a restaurant often the only other option besides the usual BMC swill are IPAs. Also whenever I'm out and stop at a convenience store to buy a single beer the selection of singles is usually dominated by IPAs.

ESHBG likes this.
  18. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Disciple (300) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

My IPA consumption is 100% when consuming IPA.

19. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (750) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Having moved in to the beer industry in the past six months has completely changed the way I consume beer. Our packaging schedule directly dictates what I’m typically drinking on a day-to-day basis and with IPAs making up a significant portion of that I said 50% in the poll.

With all the hazy beer we and many other breweries in the area brew I’ve found myself reaching for West Coast options whenever possible for a counterpoint.

ESHBG, Squire and JediMasterLenin like this.
  20. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Disciple (390) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

Several years ago I would have voted 25% IPA but now it’s about 10% so I voted 0% due to rounding. I rarely go out these days so that’s probably a big reason for the decrease. I’d say I drink about:
    30% lambic
    30% saison/wild ale
    10% lager
    10% IPA
    10% stout
    10% other styles

21. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (59) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

Zero point zero

ESHBG and thesherrybomber like this.
  22. JoebRogers

JoebRogers Initiate (75) Sep 26, 2019 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

It was nearly 100% for a good couple of years, by far my favourite style. I'd love finding and trying new IPAs.

Now.. I might pick up a new pack from a highly reputed brewery if I see one, but I rarely ever drink them. For some reason I really struggle to stomach them anymore. I'm not sure if it's a difference in the overall taste (I moved from Europe to NA, I'm in Canada), and there's something off compared to what I'm used to, or I just hugely wore myself out of them, but now my style choices are much different. I almost exclusively buy stouts (or stout adjacent styles) and sours/berliner weisses.

egrandfield and ESHBG like this.
  23. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (953) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I voted 25 but the truth is closer to 10. It was never much higher than that. I prefer APA and Lagers.

bigstar87, Crusader, ESHBG and 3 others like this.
  24. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,501) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Probably 25%. I dig a great WCIPA and if I can get it will enjoy a juicy NEIPA but truth be told, I feel sorry for those who are only seeking them out actively while letting side all the other awesome styles.

ESHBG and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (153) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

~13% overall

ESHBG and Shanex like this.
  26. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (971) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Probably less than 5%. I'll have one in a pinch if there's nothing interesting on tap otherwise.

ESHBG and Shanex like this.
  27. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (153) May 5, 2013 Illinois

I'm probably about 50%. taprooms obviously skew to the higher end, but if I'm at a bar watching a game, it's bud light/miller lite so that pulls the overall % down. Maybe this is a result of all the great beer out there, but I have no problem paying $3 for a bud light over some $6 IPA in many cases.

teal and ESHBG like this.
  28. gcasher

gcasher Zealot (572) Dec 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

I always finish the whole can.

29. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,017) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

IPAs probably close to 50%. But if you include APAs, DIPAs, NEIPAs then it's closer to 90%.

30. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,661) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Counting unique beers, not total beers consumed. (And this will overstate IPA %.)

For the past 5 years: all IPA styles: 19%, and that's been pretty constant. (Voted 25%)

Highest percentage are pale ales that are not IPAs, 26%
    Then stouts, 10%
    Pilsners & pale lagers, 8%
    Dark lagers, 8%

(Using BAs category groupings)

ESHBG, Shanex and PapaGoose03 like this.
  31. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (331) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

I voted 75%. IPA's are my favorite style. I'm a certified "Hop Head"! :grin: I also love stouts. :beers:

roan22, PapaGoose03, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  32. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

I'd say somewhere around 90%. I don't care if it's a trend ipas rule. Even if I have a stout, sour or porter, usually have an IPA after

jglenn73, Peach63, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  33. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,795) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Honestly, it fluctuates. Im more likely to drink them in the warmer weather, but over the last year or so, I'd say that its been around 10%.

34. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Disciple (301) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

Went with 50%, as there are always some IPAs in my fridge and any session is pretty much guaranteed to feature a few. The other 50% changes with the seasons with more sours and lagers in the summer and stouts/porters/barleywines in the winter. When I first started drinking, though, it pretty much would've been 100%.

Peach63 and ESHBG like this.
  35. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Champion (874) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

As of late I'm at about 30%
    I have IPAs in the fridge just nothing compared to browns/stouts/lagers really.
    I do enjoy a well made DIPA or NEIPA just not as much as a great stout. :beers:

ESHBG, Shanex and JediMasterLenin like this.
  36. pbrian

pbrian Defender (674) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

It's SN Celebration season, so 75%, otherwise I run at about 50%. And some new entrants into our market has made it easy, Bells Two Hearted, Cigar City Jai Alai, etc, all cheap, fresh (mostly) and tasty. After looking at the dizzying array of NEIPAs in the cooler, it's easy to just grab a six of one of these and call it a day.

NeroFiddled, bigstar87, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,357) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I voted 25% but it is closer to something like 10 - 15%.

I do enjoy drinking IPAs but I also enjoy drinking other beer styles too.

Cheers!

Riff, PapaGoose03, champ103 and 4 others like this.
  38. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (75) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

7%-8% is my percentage for IPA consumption.

ESHBG and JediMasterLenin like this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (760) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Btwn 50 and 75%.

Mostly is because the beers on sale are IPA. I just paid $12.99 for the OB 15 packs, 30 days old . All IPA but the pils.

Almost never see brown, stout or others on sale. When I do I grab them. I did pass on the NB coffee beer even at $25 case based on reviews.

I always grab a case of Wolters brown, Hamms and High Life as well as the IPA.

I guess looking now I’m closer to 50% or 60%

Enjoy

40. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,254) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I voted 25%. Whether it's West Coast, East Coast, New England, hazy, juicy, double, triple, or whatever, I love a well-made IPA. It is my choice above all others. That said, I enjoy many other styles as well.

When I'm drinking out, it will almost always be Scotch, bourbon, or a spirit-forward cocktail.

Peach63, mogulskier, Riff and 5 others like this.