What Stouts should I be drinking?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brando_00, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Brando_00

Brando_00 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2019

As the weather changes and the air becomes crisp and cool, it is the perfect time to transition to porters and stouts. I enjoy a nice Irish stout but haven't experienced a wide variety.

Innis and Gunn Kindred spirits is a favorite but not always available near me. I am aging some Expedition stout and 17, 18, 19 CBS. Not a huge fan of bourbon barrel aged, unless its a mild/light bourbon flavor (I don't want to taste liquor in it). I still enjoy a draft Guinness as well.

With all that said, what should i be looking for. I live in southeast Michigan.

Thank you and happy drinking

2. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (505) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Right now in my "cellar" I have Founders CBS, New Realm Oaxaca Choca, Vasen Velvet Walrus vanilla mint, and Evil Twin Lil Tiny Baby Jesus. I'd recommend them all

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,520) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

4. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Initiate (189) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

If you need to warm up from the inside out, a good imperial stout is always a great choice. My go-to is Yeti from Great Divide, or maybe Old Rasputin from North Coast.

5. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,030) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Stouts encompass a massive range of alcohol level variability; if you love the big stuff, you list a few good ones already in your post, OP.
    Given your location, however, I'd be loading up on Revolution's Deth's Tar (& Cafe) pronto. Plenty of Michigan choices, of course (CBS/KBS, etc)...
    On the lighter side, roastier and drier is how I like my stouts personally (as opposed to dark wall of boozy sugar), and I turn to Deschutes Obsidian Stout, Cumbre's Export Stout (Malpais), and nailing down a Guinness every once in a while for perspective (and because it's low ABV).
    Enjoy the winter that is upon us!

pro100, laketang, Elfastball7 and 4 others like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,356) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Malpais from la cumbre, ten fidy, Odell cutthroat porter are just a few favorites.

7. hillind

hillind Aspirant (248) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada Narwhal is a nice straight up Imperial stout at a good price.

8. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (829) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

If you're a Guinness drinker pick up a 6 pack of Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. You'll never go back to Guinness again.

#8 craigbelly, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would recommend Founders Porter to you. That beer is very, very good IMO.

Cheers!

10. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (312) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Local: Ozark Cream Stout and Mothers Winter Grinder Stout.
    Import: O'Hara's and the king Guiness.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  11. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,390) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Anchor’s Porter too, presumably available in MI too. Unlike Founders, it nails more the Irish porter style although Founders Porter is just equally delicious.

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Expedition, Kalamazoo Stout, and Founders Porter are all excellent choices. If you can get Southern Tier Crème Brûlée, it will change your life and lighten your wallet in ways you can't imagine. Victory at Sea (Ballast Point) is another excellent choice. I'd recommend going to a store that offers a mixed six-pack option and pick a few you haven't tried. You don't have to worry too much about the freshness issue with these styles, and you might be surprised at what you can find.

Cheers!

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I haven't purchased any Anchor beers in many years because they used to use a 'secret' code for dating their beers. Now that they use regular dates I should re-consider purchasing them (presuming I can find them fresh).

Cheers!

Shanex likes this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,030) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Addendum: OB Death by Coconut, if you like coconut, forgot about that one. Unless you're one of those weirdos who doesn't like coconut.

15. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,036) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Shorts makes a good Irish stout. Also their S'more stout is pretty decent. Recently MI just started getting Surly distro. Check out Darkness. Really great RIS. Their Coffee Bender is fansatic too if you like coffee beers, although thats a brown ale. Since your in my neck of the woods and it's not too far check out Kuhnhenns. They usually have a few good stouts on draft at the brewery. I think there's a few of their solstice bottles still left at the Clinton twp. location. Happy huntin'! :beers:

PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

OP you have some great breweries in your home state. I would start with them, go to their websites/facebook/Instagram etc. to see what they have brewing and grab some fresh items. I would bet almost all of them have a stout or two on tap or bottle so roll with that.
    Cheers

17. SFACRKnight

Trader

I want to make a Founders joke sooooo bad right now....

18. SFACRKnight

Trader

I never imagined I would have to pay someone to get rid of beer either.

LeRose, PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  19. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (69) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Have you had the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout? I love it, and a nice abv at 7.5%... A nice fit between when you want a little more umph than Guinness Draught (4.2%) but might not want that big 11% imperial stout. Toasted roasted notes (malt, coffee, chocolate). Some hints of dark fruit (prune, raisin). Nice bitter/sweet finish.

meefmoff, eppCOS, SudsDoctor and 2 others like this.
  20. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but North Coast's Old Rasputin is about the best stout for the money; $11/4 pack here for an excellent beer. Also try Allagash's Black. It's a dark Belgian, but they call it a “Belgian style stout”.
    If you're in NYS check out Middle Ages Dragonslayer, another very good non-BA stout at a reasonable price.
    Great Lakes has their very good Ohio City oatmeal stout for about $10/6 pack.

21. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (439) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bell's Special Double Cream
    Zywiec Baltic Porter

22. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,520) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If you're up for a road trip, Bell's just had their annual All Stouts Day on Sunday, and a bunch of good ones are still on tap. (Presumably until the kegs blow and are replaced with non-stouts.) Here's a link to the current tap list:
    http://www.bellsbeer.com/eccentric-cafe

Bitterbill and dukeandduke like this.
  23. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (125) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Came to repeat any Old Rasputin references as, to me, it is the perfect stout. It's pretty much always available in most markets for a fair price (8.99 - 10.99 4pk;6.49 22oz), consistent and prominent roasted flavor leaving you able to draw coffee or chocolate notes, heft without being heavy, dry without being bitter, and a solid 9% abv which isn't too heavy or light for the style.

24. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (59) Nov 5, 2018 New York

This. I tried a Founder's Porter for the first time about a week ago, and it was absolutely delicious.

25. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Disciple (384) Apr 13, 2013 Texas
    Society

Founders Porter, Founders Imperial Stout, Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout, Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout, Anchor Porter, Deschutes Obsidian Stout. You just can't go wrong with any of those. For a dry Irish Stout, Guinness is my go to. IMO, it's definitive of the style. BTW, I'm just not into the chocolate ones.

26. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (132) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

There is a forum going in the Midwest section regarding Surly Darkness hitting Michigan. Follow that chat. Good luck!

27. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Aspirant (261) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin
    Society

Another Founders Porter recommendation here. The Founders Breakfast Stout and Bells Expedition Stout are also favorites of mine.

28. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (744) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

1st and foremost for me it's Old Rasputin, the beer that got me started on craft beers.
    In no particular order.
    Ten-Fidy
    Yeti
    Expedition Stout
    SN Narwhal
    Great Lakes Blackout
    Big Skys Ivan the Terrible

29. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,147) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Excellent call on the Blackout Stout. I think that that is all too often overlooked.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (125) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Bells Special Double Cream Stout. Stone Xocoveza. Modern Times Black house. Im not always able to find Bells Stouts out here but really like their stouts. I like coffee Stouts that are around 6%. No barrel aged. It's not very easy for me to find a wide variety of stouts like these.

31. bhyde

bhyde Initiate (71) Jan 31, 2011 Massachusetts

Lion Stout from Sri Lanka is great, but distribution is thin. The Trader Joe's Christmas Ale ages beautifully, so I drink it after a few years.

Bitterbill and dukeandduke like this.
  32. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (227) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

North Coast Old Rasputin
    Deschutes Obsidian
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    Bell's Expedition

33. scream

scream Meyvn (1,156) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I bought a 4 pak of Old Raspy recently for $7,99 Woot !

34. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (335) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Is Lion Stout still made? I feel like I haven't seen that around in years, but it was the beer that burst my Guinness bubble way back when. Never really go back to the stuff except for the occasional car bomb.

Bitterbill and adrock314 like this.
  35. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,812) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Welcome. I suggest that you go to craft stores and pick up singles of several different stouts, porters, and perhaps scotch ales, Belgian Darks, and Browns. When I got into craft I knew I liked "dark beers" but didn't know exactly what styles or brands.

Make sure you always drink from a glass vs. the can or bottle, and allow dark beers to warm a bit rather than drinking them at fridge temperature - makes a world of difference, particularly with Bourbon Barrel beers. After you've had a dozen or so beers, you'll figure out more precisely what you like.

Specific ones to try are Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Stout, Mitten Brewing Peanuts And Cracker Jack Porter, Omnipollo Aon Pecan Mud Cake, Odd Side Rye Hipster, North Coast Old Rasputin, and Founders Breakfast Stout. I can come up with an even larger BBA list if you ever get more into it.

officerbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don’t see a state listed, lots of good ideas. But if I’m looking for a great stout at a great price Speedway is really tough to beat, I’d guess pretty wide distro too.

alucard6679 likes this.
  37. Junior

Junior Defender (629) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Old Rasputin.
    Plead the 5th.

#37 Junior, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    ZebulonXZogg likes this.
  38. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (988) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Short answer - Whatever you like.
    Off hand a couple personal favorites are Founders Porter and Great Divide Yeti.

39. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,159) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Sounds like you could use some Malpais stout from la cumbre, may need to do some traveling to get it tho. Just sign up for trader status and seek out. :wink::sunglasses:

40. pro100

pro100 Disciple (338) Oct 12, 2014 California
    Society

Good thread.. These are my year round-go to shelfies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bitterbill and ZebulonXZogg like this.