What temperature do you prefer your stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer_Economicus, May 14, 2018.

?

At what Temperature do you prefer your high ABV stouts?

1. Any unflavored stout w/ ABV 10% or above; Room temp (60-65F or above)

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Any unflavored stout w/ ABV 10% or above; 45-55F

45 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. Any unflavored stout w/ ABV 10% or above; colder than 45F

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Any flavored stout - ABV 10% or above; Room temp (60-65F or above)

23 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Any flavored stout - ABV 10% or above; 45-55F

35 vote(s)
    38.0%
  6. Any flavored stout - ABV 10% or above; colder than 45F

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. I prefer BA stouts (unflavored) at a different temp than non-BA stouts (unflavored)

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. I prefer BA stouts (flavored) at a different temp than non-BA stouts (flavored)

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. ABV plays a significant role in my temperature preference

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. ABV does not play a significant role in my temperature preference

42 vote(s)
    45.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (432) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

A recent thread on here has spiked my curiosity as to what the actual beer-geek preference is. Here are the guidelines:

• Only considering high ABV stouts. I listed 10% ABV or greater. Does it have to be 10% or above? Does 9% vs. 10% matter? Use your best judgement.
    • Select all that apply
    • "Any" means "In general." So "In general I prefer..." If you don't have an "in general," but varies beer to beer, please save your vote and just reply.
    • Note there are different options for flavored vs. unflavored
    • Did not have enough options to include regular vs. BA for all ranges; but I understand many >=10% stouts are BA.
    • Not enough options to distinguish between "Drinking" temp vs. "starting" temp. If you reply with text, please clarify, I'm curious!
    • I know there is a lack of continuity in the answer choices.
    Curious to see everyone's response!

B_E

2. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

In general I pour a high-ABV stout around 55 degrees but end up drinking most of it at closer to room temperature. I find this especially important with flavored stouts because flavors like chocolate/coconut/barrel flavors/maple/fruit tend to come out more as the beer warms, but I also prefer non-flavored stouts at these temperatures.

3. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (730) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I open them at whatever temp my fridge is at. I don’t know what that is. They taste better as they warm. And then they can get to a point where they’re too warm (but that rarely happens - I drink fast)

Harrison8, Zeeck, Daveshek28 and 7 others like this.
  4. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Most fridges (as far as I know) if they are regular, everyday fridges are usually set below 40 degrees. I think mine is at 37?

Harrison8 likes this.
  5. WIBeerSnob

WIBeerSnob Initiate (113) Jan 31, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

I don't really pay much attention to the ABV of my stouts when worrying about what temp I'm drinking them at. I enjoy basically all BA and regular Imperial stouts anywhere between room and cellar temp (60-70 degrees is ideal for me).

In my experience, certain BA flavored stouts get too sweet when served cold. I always thought the sweetness mellows out, and more flavors are surfaced, as the beer comes to room temp.

I even like my IPAs just a tad chilled, rather than refrigerator cold.

6. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,257) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I keep it simple -- any stout at roughly 60-65 degrees is all I prefer.

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,334) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

With the exception of lagers and neo-gose or basic fruit beers I generally like any beer, not just stouts, at roughly cellar temperature (45-55 F). And that's not hard to achieve - I look in the fridge, decide what I want, and pull it out. Then I go about whatever it was I was doing, and 10 to 15 minutes later it's warmed up and ready to go. My fridge is set at 37 F.

8. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (162) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

14 celsius

Junior likes this.
  9. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I have my beer fridge set at 42 F. I will let bombers or glass bottles sit out for 15 minutes before pouring and cans 10 minutes before pouring. My house is usually 70 F, so I'm probably drinking them close to 60 F by that time. Straight out of the fridge is a no go for me. I can't pick up on enough flavors when they're too cold.

LuskusDelph and Beer_Economicus like this.
  10. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (162) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

In the summertime theres no problem
    Winter time I grab a lighter beer while I wait for my Imp. Stout to temper

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  11. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (386) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm one of those heathens that just grabs whatever beer from the fridge and drinks it at that temp. If it's above 10% abv, it'll last long enough to taste it warmed up. I like being refreshed and warm beer doesn't do that for me.

12. dribblespit

dribblespit Initiate (0) May 21, 2017 Venezuela

Room temperature for Stouts. Around 60 Fahrenheit. I drink most of my beers probably warmer that most BMC drinkers would ever think of. I spent my formative years (17 to 20) in Germany. Army. Great Bier and the people were great too. I guess it made me appreciate that good beer can stand up to being not cold.
    Of course the BMC crowd calls this practice "drinking HOT beer" the knuckle heads.

13. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (866) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Most beer I prefer around "cellar temperature", so mid-50s. Some lagers I prefer cooler, but I'd rather not drink ice cold or refrigerator temperature beer.

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I voted 60-65 for both. IMHO 60 is the best temp for both.

15. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Aspirant (258) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Room temp. I never buy them at a bar or restaurant because they're served far too cold to really appreciate.

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Better too warm than too cold, but I'm not really all that patient at times.

utopiajane, Dan411, Chipotle and 3 others like this.
  17. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,587) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

I keep my fridge at about 35, and I like all the beverages that come out of it about that temp. I like cold drinks.

utopiajane, Beer_Economicus and Lahey like this.
  18. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,248) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I grab mine out of the fridge, let them sit for 10-15 minutes and then drink and enjoy the flavor changes as the beer wams up.

19. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,104) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

That survey is too damn complicated - if a one question survey requires more than a couple of seconds of thought, the results will be meaningless because you will overthink it.

That said, I let my BA and non BA, low and high ABV, flavored and unflavored stouts warm for 5-10 minutes, then drink them over a period of 30 minutes or more. Unless they are really good, then they may last only 15 minutes.

20. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Every super simple survey someone puts up on here people say "but, what about...". So, perhaps too complicated, but I tried to cover my bases =/.

Love seeing this feedback. I'm not too surprised by it, but enjoying it. My wife tends to like beer colder than I do.

LuskusDelph, Bitterbill and bbtkd like this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,388) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I enjoy my stouts warmer. I would guess my temp point would be from 55-65. Some times I do have them cooler just depends on my mood. As everyone said they improve as they warm so depending what the item is I may let sit longer to get the flavors out of it. If its a stout I drink a lot of I am not so focused and just toss it back.

22. Lahey

In the arizona heat, a 60 degree stout probably feels pretty cold I'd imagine:wink:

23. bbtkd

Premium Trader

What I've never figured out is why I take a warm beer from the cellar, refrigerate it for days, then take it out, let it warm, and drink it. :thinking_face:

24. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,340) Dec 25, 2003 California

Beer flavor can change a lot as it heats up.

Start cold and nurse it for a hour to really taste it.

rudiecantfail, Dan411, Junior and 3 others like this.
  25. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,469) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Too many options for answers. Whether or not a beer has flavorings doesn't factor into my decision. I like any imperial stout at cellar/room temperature, and lower abv stouts cooler, but not too cold. The only stout I prefer quite cold is Guinness.

Dan411, AZBeerDude72 and bbtkd like this.
  26. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,469) Sep 15, 2014 New York

This.

EvenMoreJesus and LuskusDelph like this.
  27. readyski

readyski Aspirant (230) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I like my stouts (flavored, high ABC, whatever) at the same temperature I like to drink any style of beer - 55 to 60 degrees F.

bbtkd, LuskusDelph and Mothergoose03 like this.
  28. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,388) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

LOL yes it does :beers:

Lahey likes this.
  29. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (6,088) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Whether it be flavored or non-flavored, Barrel Aged or not, I prefer all of my "big" stouts at an equal temp which floats somewhere in the 55-65+ range. Warmer than that, no problem. Colder? => :grimacing:

30. Lahey

Odd question, but how warm is too warm for a stout? I'm not a warm stout kind of guy so I'm curious. Not like people are heating them up, but what if a bottle sat out too long on a brutal hot day in the house? That kind of thing...

31. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Personally, I really do not like my beer (stouts or any other) perfectly at room temp (65-70). At that point, it almost tastes slightly oxidized to me, and it's almost like the alcohol separates (the way whiskey would in a mixed drink due to different densities), and I feel like I taste the alcohol a LOT.

I prefer my stouts to start chilled, as many others, around the 50 degree mark, and to let it warm. I find that I detect more flavors as it warms than if it starts warm also.

Junior and Lahey like this.
  32. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I think the true answer is because it might be surprising just how warm some people's cellar's are, and how cold "slightly chilled" is. I suspect most people's cellar's are closer to 60 than 50-55, and I suspect slight chilled is closer to 50 than 55-60 (than what many people think). If a fridge is set to 37 as is typical, then leaving it out for even 30 minutes (unless it is in > 70 degree temps) probably won't bring it past 50 degrees.

Lahey likes this.
  33. bbtkd

Premium Trader

I have a thermometer in my cellar, and it's usually around 70. Thinking I need a fridge down there. I'll have to break out my temperature gun and check my stouts when I drink them.

34. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,686) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I typically drink stouts/porters at about 50^, but a big bomber of a 10+%-er, will take me quite a while to drink by myself, so I’m fine with close to room temperature

35. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,348) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I pull them out of my basement, it's usually mid to upper 60s and put it in the fridge for about 10-20 minutes. It ends up being right about where I want it, mid 50s.

bbtkd, Lahey and Beer_Economicus like this.
  36. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,457) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

ABV doesn’t really doesn’t affect how I prefer my beer temperatures, but indirectly it would be hard to argue that I probably drink higher stuff warmer more often due to the pace of consumption.

I don’t ever check the temps of my beer when drinking, but I do keep my beer fridge on the warmer side (50+). Any higher abv beer I drink is almost always going to be at, or close to room temp for the later half. I am probably in the minority since we Americans are conditioned to enjoying cold drinks, but I tend to drink and prefer most of my beer warmer.

Flavors are more suppressed in everything the colder it is. It took me years to realize that. I would never eat cheese that wasn’t cold, but closer to room temperature it’s a totally different experience. I also drink my whiskey neat so take my input with a grain of salt.

37. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Whiskey should only ever be consumed neat.

WesMantooth likes this.
  38. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Devotee (418) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

I prefer to see how the stout develops as the temperature changes. I start by drinking it at whatever temperature it is when I pull it out of my fridge. Then as it warms, the flavors usually evolve - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but regardless, it makes the drinking experience exciting.

Trying to pull it out and drink it at a certain temperature seems like too much of a hassle in my opinion.

Beer_Economicus and PbFarmer like this.
  39. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,518) May 7, 2015 Florida

I like to start off cold and let it warm up so I can try the differences.

40. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (866) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

If you are an amateur.

Couple drops of cool spring water, if you actually know what you're doing.