What to Expect in VA

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by DerekP, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekP

DerekP Devotee (404) Dec 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm moving from Pennsylvania to Virginia in a little over a week. All I know so far is that one can pretty much buy beer anywhere in Virginia. Pennsylvania isn't the worst state for beer purchasing purposes, but my home state has some fairly stupid laws (can't purchase alcohol and food at the same register in a Giant Eagle, can only take so much beer out at a time from a six pack shop, etc).

How are prices? Variety? What's worth knowing about VA's beer scene and beer laws?

2. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (708) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

First off, your avatar is the best on here! I'm pulling my OC album out tomorrow!

VA is awesome! Prices are pretty much in line with the exception of some things (nothing off the top if my head). I'll let others elaborate on the laws. I'm just hoping we will get growler fill stations at out Total Wines. The ones in SC had them. The variety is getting better year by year. We have it pretty good here compared to some. Just get ready to leave behind something you love. I'm sure that is the sucky part about moving out of the area.

3. DerekP

Thanks for the avatar love (one of my top 5 favorite hip hop albums!)! What are some good breweries? I'll be leaving behind Penn Brewing and Church Brew Works. Is Stoudt's Brewing Co in VA? What do you typically buy: cases, sixers or singles?

4. Cubatobaco

Trader

Some breweries off the head that have a good following here in my area (Norfolk, VA Beach, Richmond): Hardywood, Strangeways, Smartmouth, Three Brothers, etc. There are a bunch more that people love and some are just getting started. Green Flash will open in 2015 at their Norfolk location. We do get Stoudt's, so no worries there. Try looking at www.seekabrew.com to see if we get any others you are looking for. I typically by singles and 4/6pks, with the occasional case here and there. I think you'll be happy once you situated.

DerekP likes this.
  5. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2007 Virginia

We get Troeggs and Victory also . What area are you moving to ? Distribution varies depending on what part of the state you live in . Richmond gets CCB Jai Alai but we don't down here around Norfolk/Virginia Beach . No complaints though .

6. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Savant (939) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

Richmond through NoVA gets Jai Alai.

Three Brothers Drift/Resolute are very good (Harrisonburg) with distro in NoVA/Richmond but not in between.

DerekP likes this.
  7. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (636) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

what part of VA?
    pricewise, we're going to be cheaper than PA with a fairly similar distro.

DerekP likes this.
  8. DerekP

White Stone, VA in Lancaster County.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wow, that's a pretty remote location. I'll bet it is truly beautiful. Do you have a boat? I can think of a song: BdoubleEdoubleRun!

10. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Savant (939) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

You should get Alewerks out there too. Bitter Valentine :slight_smile:

11. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (182) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yeah, you're way out there in the boonies, but it is beautiful. There is craft out there, but you'll have to drive an hour to get a wide selection or any rarities, if you care about those things.

12. DerekP

Yeah, I've spent about 10 mins in it so far, haha.

13. DerekP

I'll be doing the hour drive about once a month to hit up the Trader Joe's in Williamsburg. I'm guessing that's the town to grab some crafts.

14. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (636) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

yeah, Wine Cellar and the Cheese Shop in Williamsburg probably your closest options. they're may be a Total Wine in Newport News... think there used to be a smaller bottle shop in Gloucester but don't remember the name

15. bushycook

Kelsick Gardens I believe is still open in Gloucester Courthouse, not sure of the selection though. It's probably just as long a drive for him to go to RVA or Newport News Total Wine.

#15 bushycook, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  16. bushycook

And since Richmond has the much better selection, he might as well make the drive up 360 to where there are lots of places to choose from. I also think there's a place in Urbanna that has craft, again not sure of the selection, I think it's a little country store?

17. Cubatobaco

Trader

Ha, I'm in Gloucester (about 40 mins from you) for now, but will be moving to Smithfield in a few weeks. You are in the middle of the craft beer market and will be able to grab a great selection. Good luck with your move!

18. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (410) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I would expect to find some craft beer in Kilmarnock, both in a couple of main street restaurants we hit ( if they're still there, it's been over 4 years) and in the grocery. Just did a quick googLe search and a yelp review of a convenience store ( Get & Zip) indicates Starr Hill, Devils Backbone, and Williamsburg Alewerks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.