What to get from San Diego?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by paulys55, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (582) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Live in PA and a friend is visiting this weekend from San Diego. He offered to bring some brews and told me to give him a list. I don't keep up on what beers I can't get so I was wondering what would be some San Diego goodies that are not available in Lehigh Valley PA. Thanks for any help.

2. brikelly

brikelly Aspirant (269) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Besides the obvious CA / west coast goodies like Russian River, Bruery, HotD, etc?

3. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

The above mentioned are good choices as is Alpine, for sure, and Alpine. If he went to the Alesmith taproom he may be able to get some barrel aged goodies (not sure on that but San Diego peep can confirm), last time I was there they had barrel aged Old Numbskull. Oh, and did I mention Alpine?

dianimal and swolepeer like this.
  4. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (95) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

muchloveforhops3 and dianimal like this.
  5. wheelzntoys

wheelzntoys Aspirant (203) Nov 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

For sure Alpine and few places have Pliney the Elder.

Maybe some Modern Times.

6. mrcraft

mrcraft Meyvn (1,312) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Alpine! And, maybe a growler from Societe.

7. bpahia

bpahia Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Arizona

Coronado Brewing is a good local brew and has quite a few different styles. You also can't go wrong with Karl Strauss, especially their Tower 10 IPA.

8. paulys55

Beer Trader

j47paco likes this.
  9. lakeylake

lakeylake Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 California

Maybe some Enjoy By from Stone? If you like IPAs. I like Alesmith's Wee Heavy as well.

10. surge1311

surge1311 Initiate (185) Oct 10, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

This post should be more like what not to get from San Diego.... Too many great options out there

Knee_Deep_Fan and swolepeer like this.
  11. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Disciple (304) Feb 23, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

was in SD last spring, stopped off at Stone (fresh enjoyby), Karl Strauss (can't remember, half their beer menu was "unavailable" I got angry with the server), and Green Flash (many good, several meh, but Rayon Vert stood out), and yes, we snagged a few PtE at a bottle shop in down-downtown SD; now, I know GF is available up in my parts (and I assume yours too), but I've never seen RV in my stores, so I'd ask for that ..... miffed at not getting to Alesmith ...... next time!!

12. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Initiate (187) Jan 20, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

2L steel growler of The Pupil by Societe. Just trust me

13. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (160) May 23, 2013 California

Alesmith Vietnamese Speedway
    Alpine Nelson
    Alpine Duet
    Alpine Pure Hoppiness
    Ballast Point Victory At Sea
    Green Flash Silva Stout
    Karl Strauss Wreck Alley
    Pizza Port Bacon And Eggs
    Port Brewing Older Viscosity
    Rip Current Vanilla Storm
    Societe Pupil

etc...

14. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (1,909) May 28, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Probably not, unfortunately. I believe the release is in March and it's gone pretty much as soon as it hits shelves out here. However, Firestone's 17th Anniversary just hit shelves out here, so there's that. Also, Abyss is showing any day, hopefully. As far as San Diego stuff to get, Societe is great, as is Alpine, but Alpine can be a hassle to get. If he's not interested in driving out there to get it, have him get you some Modern Times. Just started canning and they're amazing.

15. cyde

cyde Initiate (143) Feb 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Fresh Alpine Nelson and Duet is a religious experience. Make it happen.

j47paco likes this.
  16. bcerv-ca

bcerv-ca Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 California

I second this. And third.

If they are a really good friend have them go to Alpine for any of the IPA/DIPA bottles and a Societe growler of Pupil or Apprentice.

j47paco likes this.
  17. rgfellow

rgfellow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2013 New Mexico

I fourth. I was SD and these two stand out among many. I was expecting Alpine to be outstanding, but Societe blew me away, too.

18. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I can probably get a bottle. Let me know if interested and I will double check. Trade some heady topper?

Forgot to add, I also have a case of Alpine, but is going fast! Probably at a rate of 2 bombers every day after work.

#18 e34john, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  19. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Damn , Alpine all day long.

20. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (185) Aug 15, 2008 California

Societe's Bachelor with Citra is where it's at from them right now

bcerv-ca and beerman4 like this.
  21. sideshowe

sideshowe Disciple (373) Jun 20, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I hit up a few SD bottle shops earlier this month while on vacation. Some things of interest I found include Caldera Mogli, Modern Times cans, Hangar 24 Barrel Roll 4, Almanac Farmhouse Noir, and LA Framboise. A lot of the other stuff I saw does make it out to the Philly/Philly Burbs area (Pliny only on draft of course).

Just to reiterate, if your buddy is willing to make the drive to Alpine, bottles are a must. A Societe growler would be high on my list. Unfortunately, the Barrel Aged Alesmith bottles need to be bought online and I don't believe any are still available.

22. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Aspirant (222) Aug 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I really wish growler fills of Roustabout were allowed, but I understand that's not exactly feasible.

23. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Beer Trader

That was pretty fantastic. Their best in the Bachelor series, IMHO

bcerv-ca likes this.
  24. paulys55

Beer Trader

Thanks for the intel everyone.

25. radshoesbro

radshoesbro Devotee (486) Dec 16, 2004 California

If your friend is a straight male you should tell him to check out The Brass Rail in Hillcrest.

26. radshoesbro

radshoesbro Devotee (486) Dec 16, 2004 California

After spending a night getting plastered there he's "allowed" to go to Alpine, Societe, Modern Times, and Rip Current. He should also spend some time at Hamilton's, Toronado and Tiger! Tiger!

27. angrygrimace

angrygrimace Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

If you're willing to pay a $10 markup on Sucaba, yes, I could tell you where he could get some.

28. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Sounds like Del Mesa [lol].

29. angrygrimace

Beer Trader

No, I was thinking of Sorrento Liquor. Everything is price jacked there and stacked 15 feet off the ground, so nobody ever buys it.

CraftBeerBrotha likes this.
  30. HeavySpeedway

I didn't realize they jacked their prices that much, but I'm not surprised.

31. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze Initiate (17) Jan 4, 2013 California

Not to mention the gratuitous window exposure right into the beer shelves. I mean it looks great, but all that light isn't good for the beer.

32. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Great link, I'm heading down to SD next week and wanted to pick "one" to go to. Going to be tough to decide where to go as my time will be limited. Thanks for posting that link!

j47paco likes this.
  33. angrygrimace

Beer Trader

Not to mention that its a lawsuit waiting to happen. They have a ladder permanently parked next to that beer-wall and no signs saying for people not to use it; I see people climbing up it while holding bottles of beer in one hand all the time.

34. Brewcycler

Brewcycler Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2012 California

Lost Abbey Devotion or anything used to make it.

35. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Beer Trader

I think the exact same thing every time I'm near that place. It's kind of maddening

36. HeavySpeedway

Shouldn't matter for the Firestone-Walker brown box stuff, right? Well, save for some extra heat which probably isn't good either...

37. SageO

SageO Initiate (197) Jul 13, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Not sure if they're still doing it, but they were doing 1 L fills of Roustabout a while ago.

38. MoreAbv

MoreAbv Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

what he said!

39. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

Beer Trader

Not anymore :-(. They've been out for awhile too. I went to get a fill of Pupil and was denied because they were almost out. Which was kind of annoying. I got some Bachelor: Citra, though. Delicious.

40. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (154) May 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm heading to SD next weekend for a few days of fun. I got a day devoted to my gf choffuring me around to breweries and instead of making a new post I figured I'd run it by you guys. I got Societe/Alpine from other post suggestions on this board. Stone I heard was just an awesome place, and I can't get Lost Abbey/Alesmith in the DC area.

Starting Friday morning in downtown SD then aiming to hit:

Drive up to the coast then:
    1. Stone (opens at 10am)
    2. Lost Abbey (opens at noon as the rest of them)
    3. Alesmith
    4. Societe
    5. Alpine

Thoughts? Maybe hit Modern Times as some point as we're staying downtown and in town for 5 days. Will be hitting Coronado (where she grew up) on Saturday as well.

I plan on shipping a 12 or 24 case back to DC as well as stuffing my luggage with some beers. If I had to pick one bottle shop would Pacific Liquor be alright? It'd be on the way back downtown from Alpine. I know best damn beer shop and bottlecraft are downtown so might be able to hit those as well.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.