What was the first beer you had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cwm51662, Feb 1, 2020.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,634) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Unfortunately we drank it mostly warm, and if there’s a worse beer in the world to drink warm than the Rock I haven’t tasted it, hell it even sucks when it’s ice cold.

cwm51662 and thesherrybomber like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,634) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My dads beer back in the day, he was a cop and the cop beer bar served mostly Black Label, which he bought home in those Pa heavy cardboard returnable cases of 16 oz bottles. Hey Mable...

NYR-Zuuuuc, Bitterbill and cwm51662 like this.
  3. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Savant (913) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I am not sure, it could have been a Wiedamans, Schaefer, Miller, or Bud in the early 1960s that I pilfered out of the fridge to share with my buddy on a hot summer day. I remember it was Good! That set the stage. I would have been about 7 or 8.

ChicagoJ and cwm51662 like this.
  4. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,168) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Miller? Iron City? Rolling Rock? Not sure.

First REALLY good beer: Orval!

5. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (102) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

Growing up in southern Mn it had to have been Hauenstein, Grain Belt or Schmidt out of returnable bottles. Dad had an old International Harvestor refrigerator in the basement and would send me down to get everyone another round when they were playing cribbage. Early 70’s for sure.

6. cwm51662

cwm51662 Devotee (459) Apr 23, 2011 Indiana
    Society

Our IH fridge was in the garage, packed with PBR...

ChicagoJ likes this.
  7. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,418) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Hmm, I think the first beer I had a sip out of was Corona. Like, my older brother’s friend gave me a sip at 15 and that was that. First time I had a full beer to myself though was a 40 of Mickey’s. Felt fine for a while and then I stood up and saw the world in a different hue.

cwm51662 and ChicagoJ like this.
  8. centaurusinternational

centaurusinternational Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2020

9. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

10. fritzfield

fritzfield Initiate (81) Nov 7, 2008 New Hampshire

Something my grandfather called "Rupert's" when I was about 8 years old in 1960. I haven't seen it since.

cwm51662 likes this.
  11. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,001) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

First I ever had a sip of was probably Schlitz sometime in the early 70's as that was my Dad's brew of choice (until Schlitz ruined it).

First beer I purchased legally was a 6 pack of Coors at age 18 (1983). Coors had only recently begun distributing to my area of North Carolina and it still carried the mystique provided by Smokey & the Bandit. I drank quite a bit of it during my first couple years of legal beer drinking.

12. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (330) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Same here, I snuck one when he wasn't looking. Man was it bad. I thought I would never drink beer......I was wrong.

13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,116) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Really? I remember lots of Ruppert in New England in the 70s...

"Ruppert" was NYC's Jacob Ruppert Brewing Co's flagship, full name "Jacob Ruppert's Knickerbocker Beer". (Ruppert was famous for owning the NY Yankees, of course). Started out after Repeal as one of the largest US breweries, but slowly went downhill over the decades.

One of the brand's biggest market was in New England and, landlocked in Manhattan, the brewery considered moving to Connecticut and building a new facility by the mid-1960s but abandoned the idea and sold the brand to Rheingold. Rheingold around that time bought the former Dawson brewery in New Bedford MA and even called it "Jacob Ruppert Brewing Co.", brewing Rheingold, Ruppert/Knickerbocker, Gablinger's, McSorleys and other beers there until the mid-70s, when they closed the brewery a few years before shutting down all together by the late 70s. At some point in there, the beer started being called "KNICKERBOCKER NATURAL" (Looks like the actual "Ruppert" name was dropped as part of the brand name on the label but I'd guess older drinkers would continue to call it that?)

Rheingold sold their brands to C. Schmidt's & Sons, which continued to brew Knickerbocker into the late 80s, when they shutdown and sold their brands to Heileman, which appears to have continued to brew and market Knickerbocker Beer into the '90s.

#133 jesskidden, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  14. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Either Miller Lite or Schaeffer, when I was around 9 or 10. My Dad let me have a sip at a family picnic. I'll never forget that taste! Just regular beer. Of course I didn't care for it as a kid, but I still drink Miller Lite after mowing the lawn in the summer, lol. Haven't had a Schaeffer as an adult though.

cwm51662 likes this.
  15. IceAce

IceAce Savant (915) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Brewery

Stole a case of Weideman’s bottles from the basement storage area when I was 14 years old...

By 16, Little Kings Cream Ale was my preferred choice.

nc41 and cwm51662 like this.
  16. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Yup, my father told me stories from his Army days stationed in Pennsylvania. He said whenever guys went home on leave west of the Mississippi, they were required to fill their trunks with Coors before they came back east. Just like me trying to get a hold of Russian River and Monkish from friends in California when they visit the east coast.

ChicagoJ, cwm51662 and officerbill like this.
  17. StephenM

StephenM Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2016 Iowa

Heileman’s Old Style, early 70s college days

18. officerbill

officerbill Defender (613) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

:+1: I carried Pall Mall straights as my “loaner pack” for when when someone wanted to bum a cigarette.

First beer would have been at about 10 years old. I remember my dad watching a football game and giving me a pull of his High Life so I'd quit asking why he could drink beer, but I couldn't. Didn't have another until 16.

traction, cwm51662 and vurt like this.
  19. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,583) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

"I have no recollection..."
    (but probably a Heineken as that's what my Dad had in the fridge most of the time)

Foyle and cwm51662 like this.
  20. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,285) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

The first beer I ever had a sip of was probably Olympia. My grandpa on Mom's side drank Oly, and I still associate that brand with him. (That and those little black Italian cigars he favored.)

When we moved from California to New Mexico in the early 70s, Olympia gave way to Coors. At that age I couldn't tell the difference between Olympia and Coors. Schlitz, on the other hand, was definitely different. I thought it was bitter, and didn't like it much.

The first full beer I ever drank was Olympia Gold, back in 1979 or 80. My folks were throwing an afternoon party, and Dad kinda wanted me and my brother out of his hair. So he gave us each a 12-ounce can of Olympia Gold.

Foyle and cwm51662 like this.
  21. scream

scream Meyvn (1,340) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Can't remember, too long ago - over 1/2 century.

cwm51662 likes this.
  22. cwm51662

Society

Been there, done that, lol! I had an Indian prof once that learned the same thing about Long Island Ice Teas, a drink "that goes down just like pop"- until you stand up after 4 of 'em...

RaulMondesi likes this.
  23. cwm51662

Society

Betting that was Ruppert's Knickerbocker...

24. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,810) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

You and me both.

That being said, it was probably either Falstaff or Burgermeister for me. My dad wasn't a big beer drinker, but when we were kids, he would maybe pick up a 6 pack of something cheap or on sale once every couple of months. Usually that was Burgy or Falstaff, though every once in a while he might pick up some Rainier Ale. He and my mom would let us try a small taste most of the time, and I think when we were 9 or 10 he started letting us 3 kids share a 12 ounce can. To be honest, none of us much cared for it, but it seemed like such a grown up thing to do, of course we were excited at the chance to drink some beer (we had special copper mugs that we only drank beer out of).

I still remember my dad telling me about Rainier Ale, and that it was an actual ale. That meant absolutely nothing to me, but of course I acted like it was really super cool to be able to drink an ale, and I acted like I was drinking something special.

Like you I gather, that was more than 50 years ago now. Really hard to believe it's been that long...

scream and cwm51662 like this.
  25. cwm51662

Society

Miller Lite- one of the 2 beers I've been surprised that I haven't heard on here yet...

26. cwm51662

Society

And little Kings is the other beer I was wondering when it would come up...

27. cwm51662

Society

Does that actually work? I have co workers I'd like to get out of my hair...

vurt likes this.
  28. cwm51662

Society

"Like you I gather, that was more than 50 years ago now. Really hard to believe it's been that long..." I'm with you, bud!

29. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,285) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

If I gave my co-workers beer, they wouldn't leave. They would definitely stick around for more.

cwm51662 likes this.
  30. cwm51662

Society

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

31. karekorn

karekorn Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2020 Illinois

I'm pretty sure it was a Miller Lite. I choked it down and wasn't a fan.

I didn't drink beer for over a decade until about 10ish years ago when I had Hacker Pschorr with a lemon and thought "not bad." But the craft beer crazy began only within the past year and a half or so. Now, I'm like a fiend, trying to learn (and taste) everything I can.

cwm51662 likes this.
  32. cwm51662

Society

Which is kinda where I am...

karekorn likes this.
  33. karekorn

karekorn Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2020 Illinois

There's so much variety, it's hard not to get sucked in. Beer flights are what did it for me.

cwm51662 likes this.
  34. cwm51662

Society

Oh yeah, my son and I did a couple of them at BJ's brewhouse a few weeks back. Can't wait to go back!

Premo88 and karekorn like this.
  35. barreldawg

barreldawg Initiate (69) Nov 4, 2015 California

First full beer (not sips) was a mug of Olympia Dark which I downed in about 2 seconds.

cwm51662 and Premo88 like this.
  36. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Grandpa Kaspar drank it because it was super cheap.

He's also the man who often drank a beer with the official title "Beer" ... I swear I'm not making that up. H.E.B. in Texas one time sold a generic brand beer literally called "Beer" in an all-white can with black lettering. Probably 1982-86. I'll ask the family if that was really a thing or if my memory is off. I think we thought it was brewed by Schaefer specifically for H.E.B., but who knows?

37. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,116) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, it's a topic that comes up a lot but, think about it, a pretty damn difficult beer to do a search for here on the BA forums. :astonished:

Well, Schaefer the brewing company no longer exist by then (bought by Stroh) but there were a few other brewers- August Schell, the General/Falstaff/Pearl group, Pickett, Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing Co. - which made them for numerous grocery store chains. You could usually easily tell who brewed it by the city listed - New Ulm, Ft. Wayne, Vancouver, Pittsburgh... I guess "San Antonio" on the label gave you choice of two at the time...:grin:

Google hits claim they came from Miller but I have a hard time believing that. Lots of images of the cans if you search "Generic Beer"...

ChicagoJ, cwm51662 and Premo88 like this.
  38. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Disciple (371) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio

As a youngster I distinctly remember having sips of my grandpa's Genesee as he sat on the porch on a summer evening.

ChicagoJ, cwm51662 and Premo88 like this.
  39. honkey

honkey Disciple (319) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Spotted Cow from New Glarus

40. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Thanks for chiming in! I knew I wasn't crazy enough to invent the beer called "Beer". :stuck_out_tongue:

My guess is this particular "Beer" was brewed in San Antonio and likely by Pearl. But again ... my memory is fuzzy at best on the particulars. I remember now that Stroh took over Schaefer, and it's not impossible that this "Beer" was brewed by Stroh's, but that doesn't seem as likely as an in-state brewery.

I think the big Anheuser-Busch plant in east Houston existed back then, but for some reason it doesn't seem likely that they'd have brewed a "Beer" there.